Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DILIGENT  (Read 9532 times)

KevinH

Re: DILIGENT
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2011, 07:19:07 AM »

I got back yesterday.  When I left Scotland it was probably about 60 degrees; when I arrived in DC is was in the 90's.  But I'm in air conditioning now, so I can't complain!

KevinH

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2011, 07:19:39 AM »

Pain-free vibes for TCB.

KevinH

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2011, 07:30:39 AM »

Re my trip:  I think I last wrote from Newcastle.    Between rainstorms I walked around Newcastle and then Gateshead, which  you get to by one of many bridges (I think 7), all very close to each other. 

I went to a modern art gallery.   I have to say I just don't get it.  When I walked into one of the rooms I was asked to be very careful since the exhibits were very fragile.    I almost mentioned that there was a big plastic garbage bag on the floor, but then I realized that that was one of the pieces of "art."

KevinH

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2011, 07:42:07 AM »

My friends arrived from Scotland in the late afternoon.  We went to dinner and then to the "Sage Gateshead" for the concert.  When I had booked the tickets the best available were in the front row, which would have been good but for the fact that there were lecterns for the vocalists in case they needed help with the lyrics.   So the show begins and I had good views of everyone but Brent, but I can tell you he had tassels on his shoes.

For the second act I moved down 3 seats to a vacant seat (that I had actually paid for --I had thought my friend from the Netherlands was coming when I bought the tickets). 

The show was the same as the previous one---just great!  There was a little glitch.  Anthony Andrews read a long introduction to "They Called the Wind Maria," which all 4 singers were to perform.   I was wondering why the sheet music on the violinists' stands was for "Mimi's Waltz" ( I think that was it) from Gigi.   Well, he finished the introduction and the conductor, John Wilson, stepped up to the microphone and said, "but, before that" and then proceeded with the Gigi song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2011, 07:45:03 AM »

But before that....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2011, 07:46:30 AM »

I watched a couple of episodes of Rin Tin Tin on Antenna TV this morning.....and ALL of the original music has been replaced with some tinny kind of synthesizer stuff.....

KevinH

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2011, 07:52:56 AM »

On Wednesday I rode to Scotland with my friends, Roddy and Sandy.  They live in a nice area called Galashiels, about an hour south of Edinburgh.   We went to the supermarket and bought ingredients for mushroom risotto, which Roddy made when we got home.  It was delicious!

The weather started out nice on Thursday and there was only a little rain in the forecast, so we decided it was a good day to go for a drive.  We drove to Fife, which is the equivalent of a county, Roddy told me.   Within Fife is St Andrews.  We walked around for a while, seeing the University, where William and Kate met, as well as the famous golf course.  It really is something to see.  I know my brother-in-law, the golfer, will be jealous when he sees the pictures.

We then drove back a different way, along the coast, and stopped at a restaurant along the way.  The scenery is really spectacular.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2011, 07:55:37 AM »

The poster for the Anglo/Franco Montreal production of The Brain From Planet X

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150238511022484&set=o.216319558382406&type=1&theater

Wow! I made the poster. That's exciting.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

KevinH

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2011, 07:57:10 AM »

On my last day, Friday, we decided to take it easy.  We went for more tea and scones (well, I had tea; my friends had cappucino!), the post office, the vet (one of the cats had an appointment) and then dinner at the nearby Italian restaurant.  

It was a great visit.  I'm hoping my friends will come visit me next time.

KevinH

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2011, 07:58:27 AM »

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150238511022484&set=o.216319558382406&type=1&theater

Congratulations, DR elmore!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2011, 07:59:01 AM »

My friends arrived from Scotland in the late afternoon.  We went to dinner and then to the "Sage Gateshead" for the concert.  When I had booked the tickets the best available were in the front row, which would have been good but for the fact that there were lecterns for the vocalists in case they needed help with the lyrics.   So the show begins and I had good views of everyone but Brent, but I can tell you he had tassels on his shoes.

For the second act I moved down 3 seats to a vacant seat (that I had actually paid for --I had thought my friend from the Netherlands was coming when I bought the tickets). 

The show was the same as the previous one---just great!  There was a little glitch.  Anthony Andrews read a long introduction to "They Called the Wind Maria," which all 4 singers were to perform.   I was wondering why the sheet music on the violinists' stands was for "Mimi's Waltz" ( I think that was it) from Gigi.   Well, he finished the introduction and the conductor, John Wilson, stepped up to the microphone and said, "but, before that" and then proceeded with the Gigi song.

DR Kevin H, it was the "Waltz at Maxim's." GIGI is one of my favorite Lerner & Loewe scores.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2011, 08:08:03 AM »

Now I know this is not from the LA Cast recording. This is in French and it does sound very much like Elmoore's orchestrations to me.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ocmq.org%2Fbrain%2FCortexDeLaPlaneteX-Montreal.mp3&h=KAQCURiax

I don't think either the English or French tracks sound like the LA recording.  I believe both were done in a studio in Montreal.

Kerry

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2011, 08:25:14 AM »

Some of the kittens are able to be near certain kittens. I may try to take them this afternoon. Purrcy and Sunshine, however, can't be near anyone without hissing and growling.

Sometimes you can't put me near anyone, or I start hissing and growling.
I like boat races.

Michael

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2011, 08:36:59 AM »

Now I know this is not from the LA Cast recording. This is in French and it does sound very much like Elmoore's orchestrations to me.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ocmq.org%2Fbrain%2FCortexDeLaPlaneteX-Montreal.mp3&h=KAQCURiax

And for a non-Facebook-redirected link, just click ICI.

;)

I forgot how to do that without that long hyperlink
Never stop dreaming.

Laura

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2011, 08:53:22 AM »

Do they hiss and growl at humans or just other kittens?

Other cats.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Cillaliz

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2011, 09:01:47 AM »

Cillaliz

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2011, 09:03:15 AM »

Other cats.

Well that's good. I was concerned that they may hiss and growl at all the potential adoptive parents

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2011, 09:31:24 AM »

Other cats.

Well that's good. I was concerned that they may hiss and growl at all the potential adoptive parents

I think they're just angry at DR Laura.

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2011, 09:44:51 AM »

I watched a couple of episodes of Rin Tin Tin on Antenna TV this morning.....and ALL of the original music has been replaced with some tinny kind of synthesizer stuff.....

I know, isn't that horrible! It should be against the law to do that. I simply have not been able to watch any further episodes, it was so annoying.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2011, 09:46:17 AM »

Welcome back, DR KevinH...sounds like you had a wonderful trip!! Now, post some snaps of it!! We want to see!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2011, 09:47:41 AM »

I almost mentioned that there was a big plastic garbage bag on the floor, but then I realized that that was one of the pieces of "art."

;D ;D

Jane

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2011, 09:49:36 AM »

:)

Jane

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2011, 09:54:08 AM »

I know, isn't that horrible! It should be against the law to do that. I simply have not been able to watch any further episodes, it was so annoying.

:(

Jane

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2011, 09:55:52 AM »

DR Kevin I enjoyed traveling with you.

FJL

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2011, 09:56:08 AM »

I forgot what I was going to say.

FJL

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2011, 09:57:20 AM »

Oh yes, thanks to Kevin for the reports. 

Also, elmore, congrats on being on the poster.  Is that unusual?

FJL

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2011, 09:58:13 AM »

Continued vibes to Laura for strength and patience

FJL

« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2011, 09:58:35 AM »

More vibes, hugs and love to TCB

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2011, 10:53:38 AM »

It is raining!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2011, 11:09:02 AM »

I'm up.  I was up at three-thirty in the morning shutting off the breaker and leaving it off.  However, my fear about doing that was that somehow it would just not work when turning it back on, that the pump would just shut down - having just turned it back on, that appears to be the case now.  We'll see if it's working after my jog.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up