Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: MY NEW LOVE AFFAIR  (Read 30306 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:MY NEW LOVE AFFAIR
« Reply #240 on: August 09, 2008, 11:00:34 PM »

Actually, most of Shakespeare's plots were not original; so, who should get credit for West Side Story?

der Brucer

Exactly!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #241 on: August 09, 2008, 11:00:43 PM »

I just watched the women's 400 meter individual medley (swimming two laps each of the butterfly, back stroke, breast stroke and free style).  The Chinese swimmer is wearing one of the "controversial" new Speedo suits but there was duct tape (or something like it) covering the Speedo logo. ;)

The suit didn't help her at all.  She came in last. :-\

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 11:01:31 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #242 on: August 09, 2008, 11:01:09 PM »

*Now the one "adaptation" that does puzzle me are the novelizations of movies.  I mean, did we really need the story of "Dreamgirls" in paperback?  ;)

Coming soon - DREAMGIRLS - the comic book!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #243 on: August 09, 2008, 11:01:26 PM »

Actually, most of Shakespeare's plots were not original; so, who should get credit for West Side Story?

der Brucer

Although, since everyone seems to thank God - or god - lately in their acceptance speeches, well....

;D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 11:04:46 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #244 on: August 09, 2008, 11:03:44 PM »

I just watched the women's 400 meter individual medley (swimming two laps each of the butterfly, back stroke, breast stroke and free style).  The Chinese swimmer is wearing one of the "controversial" new Speedo suits but there was duct tape (or something like it) covering the Speedo logo. ;)

The suit didn't help her at all.  She came in last. :-\

...And the men are wearing those new body suits too.  The ones without the arms look too much like one-piece women's bathing suits to me.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #245 on: August 09, 2008, 11:04:05 PM »

Coming soon - DREAMGIRLS - the comic book!

der Brucer

No...they're called "graphic novels" now.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #246 on: August 09, 2008, 11:06:09 PM »

...And the men are wearing those new body suits too.  The ones without the arms look too much like one-piece women's bathing suits to me.  :-\

Did you see the picture of Michael Phelps in the new suit where he's totally nekkid under it...and you can tell?? :o

« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 11:07:02 PM by George »

George

« Reply #247 on: August 09, 2008, 11:09:28 PM »

Click HERE for an article about it that has a link within the article to a picture.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #248 on: August 09, 2008, 11:12:12 PM »

Did you see the picture of Michael Phelps in the new suit where he's totally nekkid under it...and you can tell?? :o

Nothin' I ain't seen before in a ballet studio or on stage at the State Theatre.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #249 on: August 09, 2008, 11:14:05 PM »

Well, even in a regular Speedo he would be "totally nekkid" under it.

*Remember Greg Louganis' white speedo during his last Olympics.  I still remember the camera man having to adjust his shot each time he came out of the water.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #250 on: August 09, 2008, 11:24:05 PM »

Click HERE for an article about it that has a link within the article to a picture.

I love the title:  F U Cn Rd Ths, Y’re 2 Cls 2 Mchl Phlps’s Crtch

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #251 on: August 09, 2008, 11:26:16 PM »

Although, since everyone seems to thank God - or god - lately in their acceptance speeches, well....

;D

An you-know-who didn't get screen credit for The Ten Commandments.

der Brucer

God needs an agent!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #252 on: August 09, 2008, 11:26:39 PM »

I wasn't comparing "Romeo & Juliet" and "The Wedding Singer"... Trust me on that one.  However, there are some wonderful films out there that probably would make wonderful musicals if the proper writers and production team were in place.  Dramas and comedies.

And as for "The Fly" - regardless of whether you're getting any dough or not - it was an adaptation of a film.  As was the recent Jake Heggie opera, "Dead Man Walking" - which was inspired and adapted from a book/memoir and its film adaptation.

A good story is a good story.  Source material is source material.  Now as to whether or not that good story remains well-told and well-sung, well... that's the challenge.

Would you also declare a ban on all further Shakespearean adaptations and re-imaginings?  -As other plays, musicals, movies, tv shows... ?

Jose, the operative phrase here is "a good story is a good story."  I just think Broadway (and the movies, for that matter) could sometimes be a bit more selective in the stories they chose to adapt and re-imagine.  The last thing I want to see is a Broadway musical of a movie I didn't want to see in the first place.  Particularly when Broadway (and it's now getting to be the West End too) is overrun with mediocre musicals of mediocre movies and they are squeezing out all the straight plays and new work in general.  

George

« Reply #253 on: August 09, 2008, 11:27:26 PM »

Well, even in a regular Speedo he would be "totally nekkid" under it.

*Remember Greg Louganis' white speedo during his last Olympics.  I still remember the camera man having to adjust his shot each time he came out of the water.

I think I remember something like that.

JulieC40

• Always keep your options open!
« Reply #254 on: August 09, 2008, 11:38:27 PM »

Julie, I prefer to stick to my cocktail of choice.  Cranberry juice with a splash of Diet 7-Up.

That's pretty good too, I agree! :)

JulieC40

• Always keep your options open!
« Reply #255 on: August 09, 2008, 11:43:25 PM »

Thanks for posting this!  I'm going to see it on Thursday!  It'll be the very first preview night with the very first audience. ;D Of course, I'm way up in the nose-bleed section...literally!  I'm three rows from the very back of the top balcony. :-\ But I got the whole 5th Avenue season for only $200, so I'm not complaining too much. :)

Hey, Let us know how it is, okay?  My sis and I are going to see it on Aug. 23rd.  Really excited about it too!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #256 on: August 09, 2008, 11:43:32 PM »

Jose, the operative phrase here is "a good story is a good story."  

DRAGONHEART - The Musical?

der Brucer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #257 on: August 09, 2008, 11:59:51 PM »

Huh??  What????  Where????
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #258 on: August 10, 2008, 12:08:56 AM »

Huh??  What????  Where????

Back to bed - it's just a bad dream

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #259 on: August 10, 2008, 12:14:10 AM »

Jose, the operative phrase here is "a good story is a good story."  I just think Broadway (and the movies, for that matter) could sometimes be a bit more selective in the stories they chose to adapt and re-imagine.  The last thing I want to see is a Broadway musical of a movie I didn't want to see in the first place.  Particularly when Broadway (and it's now getting to be the West End too) is overrun with mediocre musicals of mediocre movies and they are squeezing out all the straight plays and new work in general.  

Hmm... I'm not sure "squeezing out" is the proper term here.

We've talked about this whole magilla (sp?) before.  Unfortunately, the "general audience" has been dumb-downed over the past couple of decades.  Are there producers who want to take risks on more "brainy" and "intelligent" fare?  Yes, there are.  -But even then, sometimes they have to resort to "star casting" in order to get people into those seats.  People who are normally used to paying $9.00-12.00 to see their favorite actor on a movie screen, and not $121.50 to see them live on stage.  The upcoming revivals of Equus and All My Sons are prime examples of that.  Both are great plays, but I seriously doubt Equus would have transferred over without Daniel Radcliffe (and Richard Griffiths).  *Boy are there going to be some shocked teenagers - and their parents - when they find out what the play is really about.

-And, as for All My Sons... Well, John Lithgow- great!  Dianne Weist - great!  Katie Holmes, Mrs. Tom Cruise - well... and she's in a secondary role too.  -But they are already preparing for the onslaught of people who are hoping to catch a glimpse of her husband at the stage door during the run of the show.

Broadway has become a true business, for better or worse.  Yes, one can "refuse" to see a show, but then producers have to make up that theoretically lost revenue by coming up with something else.  That something could or could not be based on something else, but with the current business model, there has to be some sort of hook to help build and keep(!) the audience.  And that hook can either be a Celebrity or a story that happened to come from a multi-million-dollar making film.  -Money-making - not necessarily critically acclaimed.

*And I'd still love to see what Sondheim would do with "Groundhog Day".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #260 on: August 10, 2008, 12:16:42 AM »

**And as for Shrek - The creators of the musical have gone back to the original books by William Steig for their "inspiration" - in addition to the movie treatments.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #261 on: August 10, 2008, 12:26:30 AM »

But they are lifting dialogue (to music) and situations from the remake of The Fly - it's the Cronenberg film as an opera.  I agree with Pogue - it should acknowledge his screenplay contribution.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up