Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: HENCEFORTH  (Read 25538 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:HENCEFORTH
« Reply #180 on: June 09, 2004, 11:41:03 PM »

I should mention that one of the sponsors of tonight's screening was Mr. Hugh Hefner, who sat a couple of rows behind me, surrounded by members of his harem entourage.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #181 on: June 09, 2004, 11:44:12 PM »

I'm still sitting at the fershluganah computer! I was about to shut it off 20 minutes ago... and I'm still here. But NOW I'm going. As soon as I type this sentence I'm putting the old girl (the computer, that is) to sleep. Zzzzzzzz......

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #182 on: June 09, 2004, 11:45:13 PM »

I'm goinggg.....

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #183 on: June 09, 2004, 11:47:06 PM »

She's gone!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #184 on: June 09, 2004, 11:54:13 PM »

Each year the Los Angeles Conservancy hosts a series of classic films in several of the historic movie palaces in downtown Los Angeles.  Tonight I was at the stunning Orpheum Theatre, which was built in 1926 and lovingly restored in 2001.

The program consisted of F.W. Murnau's 1927 silent film Sunrise, accompanied by a live orchestra and the Mighty Wurlitzer, conducted and played, respectively, by Mr. Robert Israel.

It's been over 25 years since I last saw Sunrise, and my memories of it being a stunning film were confirmed tonight.  An archtypal story (the characters don't even have names) of love, lust and redemption, this film amazes in how effectively it tells its tale with a minimum of intertitles.  The sets and cinematography are incredibly evocative, and Janet Gaynor and George O'Brien are superb as The Man and The Wife.

Today's filmmakers should be required to spend more time watching--and learning from--films like Sunrise.

Jay, do you know who wrote the score?  Here in Olympia, we have the (appropriately named) Olympia Chamber Orchestra and a former conductor was Tim Brock.  He composed new scores to several silent movies, including "Sunrise."  There was a showing of the film with the orchestra, conducted by Tim Brock, playing his score live with the movie.  It was wonderful.  I think that there was DVD released with his score.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: June 09, 2004, 11:54:23 PM »

She's gone, and so are a bunch of other WUSSBURGERS.  New notes in five minutes, then I must hie myself to bed so I can look decent for the little movie.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up