Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HENCEFORTH  (Read 26079 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HENCEFORTH
« on: June 09, 2004, 12:01:06 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, and henceforth you must post until the fershluganah cows come home.  They might be coming home hencesixth.  To it, I say, to it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 12:00:53 AM by bk »

BEEKAY

• I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore!
Re:HENCEFORTH
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 02:45:18 AM »

Is this a newbie record...2nd time first post within a couple of weeks????
Friend of Dorothy and all that stuff!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 02:52:26 AM »

Of course it is Beekay.
Congratulations.

Sort of the OZ collection to start the day.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 03:10:32 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

BEEKAY

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 02:54:09 AM »

Can I ask the DR's what their take is on the series Angels in America(currently screening here in OZ). We saw the first two chapters last night...Most interesting . I am looking forward to tonight's installment with much anticipation.

BEEKAY

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 02:56:48 AM »

Thanks for the videos, Tommy... of course with catching the above mentioned Angels, I will have to defer the watching of same.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 02:58:06 AM »

I too will be interested in the comments - the timing here is perfect with RR's departure from the world.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 02:59:45 AM »

Not everyone is game to call me "Tommy" Beekay! One of the movies is a favourite at HHW "Waiting for Guffman".
James Thurber 1957

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 04:43:39 AM »

Good morning, Ben

Ben

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 04:48:39 AM »

Good morning to you, Dan.

I just finished reading the end of yesterday's posts and now I'm here.

I haven't seen the HBO version of Angels, BeeKay, but I did see it on stage (both parts) and remember it being one of the most moving and powerful things I've ever seen. We taped the HBO version but have not yet watched it. It's not something you just want to pop into the VCR and settle in to see. We will watch it soon I think. I'm looking forward to see how it plays on screen as opposed to stage.

No questions yet. I'll be back.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 05:50:40 AM »

Can I ask the DR's what their take is on the series Angels in America(currently screening here in OZ). We saw the first two chapters last night...Most interesting . I am looking forward to tonight's installment with much anticipation.

I saw AIA both on stage and the small screen, and I have to say that I did not like the filmed version as much as the play.  While I think that most of the performances are terrific, it seems that a lot of the humor that was in the stage play was missing.  Throughout both plays, there was always an undertone of whimsy (not sure if that's the word I'm looking for)  that played along even with the most devestating scenes.  I think Mike Nichols took a too literal and dry approach to the material, and for me, the miniseries was not up to par with the stage production.  But in any case, it was still good television and, as I said before, the performances did shine through.

My question for BK and all:  what is your favorite non-cast album theatrical recording (meaning, a recording that is theatre related but not a cast recording of a show.)  Mine is the Sonheim: A Musical Tribute (the Scrabble Album.)  Choice material from Sondheim's first half of his career delivered by top-notch performers.  Plus, there was all the songs that were dropped or unrecorded--it was the first time I had heard "One Last Kiss", "I Remember" and "Two Fairy Tales".  Great recording.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaοs Nin

Emily

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 06:09:42 AM »

I have yet to see AIA... in stage or on tv (damn being HBO-less in Canada!!!)

Supposedly BRAVO Can. is going to show AIA sometime in the fall/winter.

*crosses fingers*
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 06:14:00 AM »

My question for BK and all:  what is your favorite non-cast album theatrical recording (meaning, a recording that is theatre related but not a cast recording of a show.)  

Sombody had best mention both the "Unsung Musicals" and "Lost in Boston" series or there will hell to pay!!!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 06:16:34 AM »

News for Today. Item ONE:

Fox News

Disney's Smoking Gun No One Will Ever See
Tuesday, June 08, 2004
By Roger Friedman
(excerpt)

I read with interest the story in yesterday's New York Times about Disney considering selling Miramax back to the Weinstein brothers. Without Miramax and Steve Jobs' Pixar, which has expressed a desire to leave Disney, I'm not sure what the Mouse House would have left. Certainly it wouldn't be a future for animated films.
This was hammered home to me over the weekend after I finally got to see a copy of Trudie Styler and John-Paul Davidson's 2002 documentary "The Sweatbox." You will probably never see this film and neither, I suppose, will the Disney board. If they did, you'd think their first move would be to shore up Disney's assets — i.e. Miramax and Pixar — and look to eliminate some real problems.

"The Sweatbox" is a document of the making of a Disney animated film called "The Emperor's New Groove." The project took a long and circuitous course, starting out as a serious minded cartoon called "The Kingdom of the Sun" directed by "The Lion King"'s Roger Allers and featuring several songs by Sting. Styler, Sting's wife and a movie producer, got permission to document the development of the film. What she and partner Davidson didn't bargain on was the entire project capsizing and being rebuilt not once but twice until it had a new director, cast and point of view.
By then Sting's participation had been significantly whittled down, millions had been flushed down the toilet and no one at Disney — particularly the subsequently departed exec Peter Schneider — seemed to have an idea of what they were doing or why they were doing it.

It's a shame that no one will ever see "The Sweatbox." Somehow Disney has managed to bury it, I assume, by not allowing its animated artwork — integral to the documentary — to be released. But cineastes and film students would find the film has the same reference value as Julia Phillips' "You'll Never Eat Lunch in This Town Again" or the BBC's "Naked Hollywood" series. Rarely have artists been caught so evocatively in fear of executives, or execs framed as being so in possession of the Emperor's new clothes — forget about groove.
It's never discussed, but not just a little of this debacle is owed to the decamping of Jeffrey Katzenberg to start DreamWorks and his consequent pillaging of the Disney animations department beginning in 1995.

The animated Disney offerings after "Groove," like "Treasure Planet," were even more confusing, and troubled. If only the Disney shareholders could make the company show them "Sweatbox" as a measure of fiduciary duty, they might gain some insight into why the company seems so at sea now.

der Brucer (anticipating a WEL comment)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 06:24:51 AM »

News of the day. Item TWO:

From The Grey Lady

June 8, 2004
'Avenue Q' Tony Coup Is Buzz of Broadway
By JESSE McKINLEY

(excerpts)

When "Avenue Q" won the Tony Award for best musical on Sunday night, just how big a surprise was it? Well, even the technicians inside Radio City Music Hall apparently thought that another show, the popular hit "Wicked," was going to win.

In the moments after the announcement that "Avenue Q" had won, two giant video screens inside the hall read, "Best Musical: Wicked."

Embarrassed Tony officials said the mistake was a result of a "technical glitch," but you could hardly blame them for it. For weeks "Wicked" had been considered a prohibitive favorite to win the award, the evening's top prize.

The show, after all, had all the elements of a winner: box office success, respectable reviews, a spring 2005 national tour. Instead, industry analysts found themselves trying to explain how "Avenue Q," a modest musical with singing puppets playing in a small Broadway theater, had pulled off what many in the business were calling one of the biggest upsets in Tony history. (Unfortunately for Tony organizers, if preliminary television ratings are to be believed, very few viewers got in on the drama.)
The consensus around Broadway was that the show had run a clever campaign to woo voters, including full-page newspaper advertisements and a pizza party for out-of-town voters. (The Tonys are voted on by 735 theater professionals and journalists nationwide, of whom perhaps 80 to 90 reside outside the New York area.) The producers sent out hundreds of promotional CD's, with a new song, "Rod's Dilemma," written especially for the Tony race, about a puppet voting in an election.
The campaign, which one production member estimated cost about $300,000, also leaned heavily on political imagery: promotional buttons were handed out at the theater, and the box office was decorated to resemble a campaign headquarters.
"We were definitely running behind, so we wanted to remind people that we were a viable choice," said Drew Hodges, the creative director of SpotCo, the advertising company that devised the ads. "And we wanted to keep everything in the tone of the show, which is irreverent and contemporary."
The motto of the "Q" campaign, "Vote Your Heart," seemed to many to be remarkably blunt. The message: vote for the little guy instead of "Wicked," which, with a $14 million budget and weekly sales of more than $1 million had been given, fairly or not, an air of blockbuster invincibility. By comparison "Avenue Q," playing in the 796-seat Golden Theater, generally grosses about $400,000 a week but has a much lower running cost.
Other theories and explanations were also being floated, including that perhaps voters had decided "Wicked," with an advance of more than $20 million, did not need the victory as much as "Avenue Q."
The result also seemed to give rest, for the moment at least, to the notion that the road voters and their allies — a bloc of approximately 150 votes — somehow control the Tony outcome. "Wicked," after all, which starts a tour next March, is expected to be a much bigger earner than "Avenue Q," which is a quirkier (read less mainstream) show and won't hit the road till fall 2005.

der Brucer (those goosey about NYT registration can PM me for the missing parts)

William E. Lurie

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 06:29:49 AM »

Der Brucer --- "The Emperor's New Grove" was one of the low points in Disney (actually Eisner) animation.  It's a shame they won't let anyone see its "Making of..." but I am not surprised.  Nobody there seems to realize that the quality of animation is not important if the script is no good and they've had some very bad scripts.  You know they care more about money than quality when they insist on putting something in each film that will get it rated PG instead of G because they are afraid teenagers will not go to anything rated G.  If Walt were around today, he'd be very upset about what goes on in his name (and what his company is doing that they are ashamed to put his name on).  He mortgaged his house and went way into personal debt for SNOW WHITE.  I hardly think he'd do the same for what passes as a Disney film today.

For BK - "The Gene Krupa Story" came out during the same period as several other big bandleader films - "The Glenn Miller Story", "The Benny Goodman Story", "The Five Pennies", et. al.  How do you think it stands up to these films and which film of its type do you think is best?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2004, 06:30:44 AM »

News of the day. Item THREE.

It seems the wages of sin are death profitable.

From a Washington Post story (broken link, sorry) about cigarette smuggling funding terroists:

In New York City, for example, where the combined state and city tax on cigarettes is $3 a pack, a carton can sell for about $75. The trafficker can buy a carton for about $20 in Virginia, where the tax is 2.5 cents a pack, and then sell it to a mom-and-pop store in New York at a profit of about $40 a carton, ATF officials said.

A smuggler can make about $2 million on a single truckload of cigarettes. A truckload contains 800 cases, or 48,000 cartons.

der Brucer (shucks, we could fund a new musical from a truck parked in the stage door alley!)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2004, 06:34:35 AM »

Der Brucer --- "The Emperor's New Grove" was one of the low points in Disney (actually Eisner) animation.  

13 Minutes from original post to comment - speedy work Professor!

der Brucer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2004, 06:35:09 AM »

I thought the HBO version of ANGELS IN AMERICA was one of the best things I've ever seen on television. I, too, had seen the plays on stage, but I found it so overwhelmingly powerful that small carping about missing lines just didn't matter to me. The cast is perfection, and I couldn't have asked for a better transfer from stage to screen.

As for Disney's traditional animated output of late, I can't explain why they haven't been successful (except that when you target an animated film for a young male audience like TREASURE PLANET or Dreamworks' SINBAD or Warners' THE IRON GIANT, they inevitably fail nowadays), but they're wonderfully entertaining. I loved TREASURE PLANET as a modern spin on TREASURE ISLAND (I guess teaching it all those years made me appreciate the clever riffs on it all the more) and thought THE EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE was sensational fun. I even enjoyed BROTHER BEAR a lot, and though I didn't pay to see it at the movies, can't wait for HOME ON THE RANGE on DVD either.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2004, 06:39:27 AM »

Sal Mineo is one of those sadly neglected actors who turned in many wonderful performances during his too-brief career. I've only seen THE GENE KRUPA STRY once, but I thought he was magnificent. The one film (and a telefilm version, too) of his I've never seen is DINO which earned him an Emmy nomination when he first did it on TV. One of those two versions of it I'd like to see.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2004, 07:00:56 AM »

can't wait for HOME ON THE RANGE on DVD either.

Roseanne and Judi Dench together - whoda thunk!

der Brucer (also an "Iron Giant" fan)

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2004, 07:16:39 AM »

For Ask BK Day: Is there a genre of film that you sort of shy away from? That doesn't mean that you don't watch it ever but rather one that would be at the bottom of your preferred viewing? I'm not a big fan of war movies nor do I like the modern teen comedies much (but I'm not a modern teen so that probably explains it).

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2004, 07:17:25 AM »

Catching up on last nights posts:

Jason: Thank you very, very much for the lyrics to WALK AWAY RENEE! Now I can sing along without making up words to the song!! LOL!

Dr Jay, I am also a Josh Groban fan. I don't have any of his CDs but I have listened to him on the radio and enjoyed him very much.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2004, 07:21:29 AM »

Wanted to mention to those fans of the show that RENO 911! has its second season premiere tonight at 10:30 on Comedy Central.

The show, a largely improvised take on COPS, is erratic in merit, but the best episodes can be screamingly funny.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2004, 08:15:55 AM »

News of the day. Item THREE.

It seems the wages of sin are death profitable.

From a Washington Post story (broken link, sorry) about cigarette smuggling funding terroists:

In New York City, for example, where the combined state and city tax on cigarettes is $3 a pack, a carton can sell for about $75. The trafficker can buy a carton for about $20 in Virginia, where the tax is 2.5 cents a pack, and then sell it to a mom-and-pop store in New York at a profit of about $40 a carton, ATF officials said.

A smuggler can make about $2 million on a single truckload of cigarettes. A truckload contains 800 cases, or 48,000 cartons.

der Brucer (shucks, we could fund a new musical from a truck parked in the stage door alley!)
Another reason to be glad we've both quit smoking!  My only question here is, how come the money we're saving is already spent?   :-\

:-*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2004, 08:18:16 AM »

Good morning. first of all I forgot my BET YOU DIDN'T KNOW THEY WERE HUNGARIAN! feature yesterday. I bet you're all shaking for your fix. So here are two  - one for yesterday.
[DRUM ROLL]
#1 - PAUL NEWMAN. - Hungarian and German parents.

#2 - CLAUDE-MICHEL SCHONBERG (b. 7/6/1944, Vannes, France)
Writer, Composer, Producer of Les Miserables and Miss Saigon.
Hungarian parents.

And a bonus for Trekkies and Sondheads... BRENT SPINER.

Modified as per request.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 08:34:50 AM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2004, 08:20:00 AM »

AIA - I didn't see it on stage, but I thought the TV version was superb.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2004, 08:28:07 AM »

Re: Genres We Avoid

I've never been a fan of westerns.  Just watching them makes my eyes itch and nose clog.  (I'd much rather my nose waltz, or maybe tango, but that clogging has got to stop.)  It says something about der Brucer's taste and mine that the only true "Western" in our DVD collection is True Grit, which we found in a bargain bin.  (The others titles that we own being Mask of Zorro, Back to the Future Part III, and Blazing Saddles, all faux-Westerns, if that.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2004, 08:29:20 AM »

And a bonus for Trekkies... BRENT SPINER
Make that "And a bonus for Trekkies and Sondheads"

Ben

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2004, 08:29:50 AM »

I tend to avoid Westerns and War Movies as well so the Saturday Morning Western fests on TCM can sometimes be annoying.

Panni

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2004, 08:32:30 AM »

I was looking for something else and ran across this interesting factoid about Sidney Sheldon, blockbuster novelist - who BTW has over 300 million books in print!
But - here's his other side: He won an Academy Award in 1947 for the screenplay of The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer. And he created The Patty Duke Show and I Dream of Jeannie, writing all but a few episodes for both shows simultaneously. Groucho Marx was the godfather of Sheldon's daughter, Mary.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up