Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: TONY SUNDAY  (Read 28936 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:TONY SUNDAY
« Reply #270 on: June 06, 2004, 08:46:10 PM »

Oh....and God is passing out Tony Awards again....and a more self-aggrandizing acceptance speech I haven't heard in a long time.  

I know of whom you speak and couldn't agree more.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #271 on: June 06, 2004, 08:48:32 PM »

I'm curious which musical number people think came across the best.  I'm thinking Avenue Q singing "It sucks to be me".

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #272 on: June 06, 2004, 08:49:26 PM »

Just finished giving out Best Choreography, and was happy for Kathleen, who, while not brilliantly talented, is a swell person.

Caroline, or Change: Really didn't like this number, and therefore don't hold much hope out that I will enjoy the show or the CD.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #273 on: June 06, 2004, 08:49:54 PM »

I will be that there is, as I said earlier, one full hour of commercials.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #274 on: June 06, 2004, 08:50:11 PM »

I will say - that for me - Bernadette Peters had the prettiest dress....so far.   And she was very pleasing in her presentation.  It's just the hair...the hair...the hair....
She's had that hair for ages.  It's really a wig designed by Eva Gabor.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #275 on: June 06, 2004, 08:50:27 PM »

You could say I'm very PRO Jackman. I'd like to see him try something really serious and dramatic (not Wolverine) - Biff in DEATH OF A SALESMAN or Stanley in STREETCAR. He sure can do everything else effortlessly.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2004, 08:51:21 PM »

So did they show Best Featured Actress in a play yet?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #277 on: June 06, 2004, 08:51:51 PM »

I agree Jennifer....although the number from BOY FROM OZ really showed off the main asset of the production.

Heartfelt and emotional speeches by winners of Best Actor and Actress in a Musical.  And my favorite dress of the evening.....worn by winner of this category.  

Renee's dress was nice....if she was coming from a cocktail party.  :o
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 08:52:11 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2004, 08:52:05 PM »

Yes, my recording timed out at 2 hours, 4 minutes exclusing commercials.

I'm sure the CAROLINE number is powerful in the show after 2 hours' buildup, but pulled out of context and presented here, it was a misfire of the highest order for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2004, 08:53:10 PM »

That explains THAT....thanks SWW.

td

• td
« Reply #280 on: June 06, 2004, 08:53:16 PM »

I agree Jennifer....although the number from BOY FROM OZ really showed off the main asset of the production.

Heartfelt and emotional speeches by winners of Best Actor and Actress in a Musical.  And my favorite dress of the evening.....worn by winner of this category.  

My favorite gown of the evening appeared on the winner of the best actress, also, Jrand! ! !

you have exquisite taste!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #281 on: June 06, 2004, 08:53:17 PM »

Here's a question:

Are we pro-Jackman as a performer, or anti-Jackman as a performer?

With all these digs about his personal assistant, it seems the mob mentality is out to crucify him based on innuendo and little to no fact.

Just an observation about the tenor of things.

And PPS:  Why would it matter one way or the other?

I think for the most part, it's just wishful thinking.

I, for one, am very pro-Jackman as a performer.  Not bad on the big screen, either (though I have yet to see Van Heusen.  Or is it Van Halen?  Or Van Heflin?)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #282 on: June 06, 2004, 08:56:14 PM »

Why did they give Hugh so much extra time during his number from Boy From Oz?  I thought the extra was cute (but they should have prepared the person first).

I LOVED the Best Actress in a Musical speech.  I agree totally heartfelt.  I didn't feel quite the same about Best Actor.

I know the dress you mean.  It was very nice.  But I think I would have liked to see the other nominees dresses.

What was that fur Marissa Jaret was wearing???

Matt H.

« Reply #283 on: June 06, 2004, 08:59:04 PM »

For some reason, I never notice what anyone wears at the Tonys. I'm too into the performances and what they have to say. I honesly wouldn't have noticed Sarah Jessica Parker's dress if she hadn't made such an issue of it.

Matt H.

« Reply #284 on: June 06, 2004, 09:02:09 PM »

Jennifer said: "Why did they give Hugh so much extra time during his number from Boy From Oz?  I thought the extra was cute (but they should have prepared the person first)."

Oh, poo. That's the wildness and fun of Peter Allen. He was totally spontaneous. Hugh was playing Peter Allen, so it was part of his act. Sarah Jessica has appeared for hundreds of stage performances since being Annie as a little girl. She's used to performing without a net, too. All stage performers have to be able to do it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2004, 09:02:30 PM »

Thanks td...all my taste is NOT in my mouth....as the old saying goes.

All in all, I enjoyed the show and hopefully those on the West Coast will enjoy the rest of them.

Comments please, left coasters!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #286 on: June 06, 2004, 09:04:12 PM »

DRJENNIFER I think it was all about the moment...and as MATTH wrote, all about how Hugh as Peter works....a prepared and rehearsed bit would not have been as enjoyable...IMHO.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #287 on: June 06, 2004, 09:04:39 PM »

Best book, very surprising.  Poor Winnie.

Defying Gravity, as others have pointed out, was not well served by TV, although with it's screaming vocals and smoke and lighting, it's just the kind of thing that will get even more people in to see it, unlike Caroline - I'm sure after seeing that number, people will stay away in droves.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #288 on: June 06, 2004, 09:04:49 PM »

For some reason, I never notice what anyone wears at the Tonys.

When was the last time your card was validated, Dear Reader Matt H?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #289 on: June 06, 2004, 09:05:13 PM »

A note on the numbers performed:

No wonder that Marshall won for Wonderful Town's choreography: her work played best.  Period.  There wasn't any real choreography shown for any other show, other than Fiddler, which wasn't shown well (and has been done before).  Certainly none of the new musicals were shown to have good dance sections.  "Swing," on the other hand, was a fairly well done number, and showed well on the tube.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #290 on: June 06, 2004, 09:05:40 PM »

They haven't announce best actress in a musical yet.  So, I don't know what dress you're talking about...yet.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #291 on: June 06, 2004, 09:06:30 PM »

I'm curious which musical number people think came across the best.  I'm thinking Avenue Q singing "It sucks to be me".

I'm leaning towards "Lot's Wife".  It was the most simply staged and there were none of the jarring camera cuts that always detract in emsemble numbers.  And that lone spot on Pinkins at the end was beautiful.  It's a shame her voice cracked though.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #292 on: June 06, 2004, 09:09:48 PM »

I agree about CAROLINE, bk. After seeing that, I was glad I opted for AVENUE Q instead of CAROLINE. That was the last show I booked making my decision just this week.

Tomovoz

« Reply #293 on: June 06, 2004, 09:10:07 PM »

Mr Jackman first came to the public's attention in a TV drama here - he played a very troubled prisoner. It was indeed a fine dramatic role. His performance in Beauty & the Beast (Gaston) followed. He is a fine actor.
Acting "gay" would not be a problem to most Australian male performers - they are not so hung up about image.  Eric Bana would not have a problem either. (td)
After all, Dame Edna is our patron Saint.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #294 on: June 06, 2004, 09:12:14 PM »

Re: Sarah Jessica

I totally think that she SHOULD be used to being up on stage.  But I didn't think she handled it too well.  That was why I made the comment.

I get that Hugh was playing a part.  But it just seems to me that if each number has 2 minutes, then he should not have an extra 5 minutes to ad lib.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #295 on: June 06, 2004, 09:13:03 PM »

Best book, very surprising.  Poor Winnie.

Defying Gravity, as others have pointed out, was not well served by TV, although with it's screaming vocals and smoke and lighting, it's just the kind of thing that will get even more people in to see it, unlike Caroline - I'm sure after seeing that number, people will stay away in droves.
As someone noted earlier, Pinkins' voice is in rags right now.  A true shame; she had trouble staying on pitch.  Then, too, her show has a more limited appeal, while Wicked has a built-in audience.

As for the special effects for "Defying Gravity," I'm sure the lighting necessary for television had a lot to do with why it didn't come off well.

But Idina sure reinforces my choice of green as my favorite color!

Matt H.

« Reply #296 on: June 06, 2004, 09:13:19 PM »

After seeing Hugh tonight be so versatile, I'll be pulling out my X-MEN films this week for another look.

Jennifer

« Reply #297 on: June 06, 2004, 09:14:43 PM »

I was also very surprised about Best Book of a Musical.

And I didn't like Tonya Pinkin's number.  It hurt my ears.

I like Wonderful town.  And the choreography looked great.  But that was not the right number to showcase the show.  I cannot imagine anyone wanting to see the based on that.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #298 on: June 06, 2004, 09:15:01 PM »

I just read a fun piece of trivia:  what Tony winner had two Tony winners as parents?
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #299 on: June 06, 2004, 09:16:46 PM »

The Comcast announcements that I saw earlier were for best book & score...which were for Avenue Q.  Now everything will be a surprise.  I enjoyed Carol Channing's bit with LL Cool J and I LOVED what John Tartaglia (and whichever character puppet he had) did with Hugh Jackman.  That was great!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Up