Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: TONY SUNDAY  (Read 28612 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
TONY SUNDAY
« on: June 06, 2004, 12:01:13 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know we're havin' a partay, and you know the action will be lively and sparkling, so let's get to it shall we.  Post away, my pretties.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 12:02:39 AM by bk »

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:TONY SUNDAY
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 12:05:41 AM »

First post!!!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 12:09:49 AM »

Hmmm............ Perkins........Martin.........Robbins........ Dale........... Curtis............Tiger......... Bennett.........Tenile......... Quinn....... ummm,  Adverse(?)

Is that reaching?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 12:22:26 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 12:14:50 AM »

Tony Dale.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 12:15:11 AM »

Hmmm............ Perkins........Martin.........Robbins........ Curtis............Tiger......... Bennett.........Tenile......... Quinn....... ummm,  Adverse(?)

Is that reaching?

TCB, as I read your list of Tonys, I though that it should read...Curtis.....the Tiger..., etc.  That reminded me of "The Muppet Movie" at the beginning when all the muppets have assembled to watch the screening of the movie they just made and the guy that throws the fish (I forget his name, right now...sorry!) calls Kermit, "Mr. The Frog, Mr. The Frog."  I love that line!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004, 12:15:54 AM »

Yes, it is, TCB.  You beat me to it!

When I was little, I always thought Tony-Award-Winning meant that the show was the absolute BEST EVER!  I remember seeing bits of HAIR, ANNIE, and JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR for the first time ever on the Tony Awards Show.

It has always been fun and exciting to see the show excerpts - and yes I usually went out the next day and bought the cast album for the shows I thought I would like.  A couple of my favorite Tony Moments:

Ethel Merman came out to present something and the ovation she got brought tears to her eyes....Bea Arthur said something very funny (I don't even remember what it was) and her "Jack Benny" type reaction just made everything funnier.  And of course, Nathan Lane dressed as Julie Andrews in Victor/Victoria.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2004, 12:17:08 AM »

Seeing Ronald Reagan again after all these years, I notice how much ACTING he did. Just watch the speech he gave when the hostages in Iran were released. The lowering of the voice, the breathless excitement, the dramatic pauses...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2004, 12:19:25 AM »

We had a wonderful full house for the murder mystery dinner tonight.  Saturday's performance is always the most fun, because people, for the most part, have not come directly from work, nor do they have to get up early the next morning.  The wine flows freely, the mood is relaxed, and the interaction between cast and audience members really crackles.  In this particular mystery, MURDER AT THE MANOR HOUSE, my character is Dewey Decibal head of The Royal Library of Chernobia.  Dewey is a bit beyond fey.   Actually, Dewey is probably a bit closer to just plain flaming.  In fact, in a power failure Dewey's flames could light the entire dining hall!  Dewey has been a lot of fun to do, and the audience response to the character has been very rewarding.

Sorry.  I was going to say that my character's name was Tony, just so my post would fit into today's theme, but I forgot!
“One thing’s universal,

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2004, 12:21:57 AM »

Good night, all. I must get my beauty rest so that I can look dee-vine for the Tonys. Which gown...which gown...?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2004, 12:26:25 AM »

Gown?  I myself, have chosen a nice off the shoulder chiffon number with lots of lace... ;)  What the hell am I talking about?  I've been up since 6:00 am and am very tired.  Good night all, also.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2004, 12:38:36 AM »

HOORAY FOR TONY SUNDAY!!!!!!! I am ridiculously excited for today. It's not just the awards to me. Tony Sunday is representative of theatre worldwide for me. It's almost like the unofficial worldwide day to celebrate theatre! Is there an official "celebrate theatre" holiday?  I don't know, but from what I've seen from the Hugh Jackman interview on CBS, the set looks great. And I am really excited for the entertainment (even though I am confused by a few choices.) I am also excited because I am going to my first Tony party with the cast of Seussical which I am in. I was wary going in because it's not the best musical ever written, but it is SOOOO much fun! (We're doing it mainly for little kids anyway.) I am also excited because we are learning tap. (I've never done tap before and it so much fun!) I am working hard at it. :-D Haha well if you can't tell by this post I am EXCITED!!!! Woohoo! Too bad the ratings are going to suck this year. (The sopranos and NBA Finals.) One of my goals in life is to introduce as many people as I can to the theatre! I should try to get some sleep but I am really excited right now! I hope everyone has a great day!!!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 12:39:31 AM by Joey »
There is no music without silence, only noise...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 01:02:44 AM »

Tony, Tony, Tony (that is three Tonys) - I think today will be very tony indeed.

Tomovoz

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2004, 02:40:17 AM »

Do you mean R & B/Funk group Tony! Toni! Toné!
They had a couple of top 10 hits in the 1990s.
(The trio was from Oakland CA).

Strange but true. Oz gets the Tony awards in a direct telecast in the morning - Even we get it before the West Coasters. (I don't because we don't have cable).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Robin

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2004, 03:34:10 AM »

What I'm hoping for at the Tonys:

1.  Dame Edna.  Nothing brightens up a room like her, possums!

2.  Avenue Q landslide.  (Yeah, I know Wicked will probably win a pile of Tonys, but I'm rooting for the underdog!)

My buddy Terry always makes a pilgrimmage to NYC in May to see as many shows as she can possibly fit into a week.  Over the years, I've come to trust her taste, and she didn't care for either Wicked or The Boy from Oz...but she simply adored Caroline, or Change and the Assassins revival.

Judging from the standpoint of the CD, I don't really care for either Wicked or The Boy from Oz either...
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2004, 04:53:47 AM »

Followups from Yesterday (a Beatles reference):

MBarnum asked:

My buddy Mark has been wanting me to watch the movie SYBIL forever, as it is one of his favorites...today he got me up to his apartment on some pretense and trapped me into watching it...and...it really was a very good movie! Quite an interesting and tragic story...I wonder if the real Sybil is still alive?

Answer: No

A Sybil Website provides a link to this Detroit Fress Press article:

BY JENNIFER HEWLETT
Knight Ridder Newspapers
LEXINGTON, Ky. -- Shirley Ardell Mason lived quietly in Lexington for more than 20 years, painting and running an arts business out of her home. Her friends suspected that she was "Sybil," the subject of a 1970s best-selling book about a psychiatric patient plagued with multiple personalities. Now they know she was.
Mason, who had lived in Lexington at least since the mid-1970s, died Feb. 26 at her home. She was 75.

Until now, the identity of Sybil, who has been called the most famous psychiatric patient in history, had never been made public.

That's all changing with a book scheduled for publication in 1999 and a documentary scheduled to begin filming in January. Peter Swales, a psychiatric historian in New York City, says he is coauthoring the book and will work on the documentary for British television.

He says through research and interviews he has identified Mason as Sybil Isabel Dorsett, the pseudonym of the woman in the book written by journalist Flora Rheta Schreiber.

JRand53 posed:

Thanks DRJAY - I just LOVE Carmina Burana so perhaps I will go looking for a DIE KLUGE CD.  Surely there's one somewhere.

Answer: There is.

The usually helpful Amazon.com offers a CD import and has this reviewer's post (extract):

Orff was interested in creating what he called "theater of the world", a form that was related to Jungian mythological concepts, oriental and Greek theater, and ultimately, an alternative vision of the Gesamkunstwerke of Wagner. Both of these works date from the war years, and yet they are blessedly free of the ideological messes of the times. Both works are allegorical fairytales, presented with high spirited humor and ribaldry. As such they are the direct descendents of Carmina Burana. Die Kluge is based on the story of the Clever Young Woman and the King from the Brothers Grimm. A young woman, the daughter of a farmer, impresses a king with her wit and cleverness and becomes his wife. In this position she uses her wiles to correct even the king's own injustices. Der Mond is even more archetypal. Four young men who live in a land of perpetual night trick a neighboring village out of the Moon, thereby bringing light to their world. When the men die, they are buried with a quarter of the moon each. In the underworld, they reassemble the moon and wake the dead, who begin partying up a storm. This in turn brings St. Peter down from heaven. He joins the dead in their debaucheries, until they are exhausted and fall back to sleep. Then, releasing the dead from both joy and torment, and giving them the blessing of perpetual rest, St. Peter returns to heaven with the Moon, which he places in the sky for all. A child spots the moon and all people on earth stare in wonder.

der Brucer (HHH RA)

Note: RA=Research Assistant or Red Ass depending on the color of my mood ring)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2004, 04:59:36 AM »

Dame Edna.  Nothing brightens up a room like her, possums!

A more interesting observation without the comma  :D

Heck, if Mrs. Slocum can talk about her Pussy on TV, then Edna can flaunt her Possums!

der DOM Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2004, 05:47:54 AM »

For informative web brousing on Tony, I suggest:

Jim's Deli New York City Guide

Click Here for a list of all the Tony's awarded, year by year.

Click Here for a list, by theatre and year, of all shows and which, if any, Tonys they won.

der Brucer

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2004, 05:58:41 AM »

DR Joey: Wow, your excitement is wonderful.

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2004, 06:00:58 AM »

I also cannot wait to watch the Tonys tonight.  Although I think I may fall asleep.  Because after all the painting/cleaning my body aches! Oy.

Has anybody here ever dressed up to watch the Tonys?  I think it would be fun.  And serve delicious snacks.  Geez, I am so far behind.  No snacks.  No gown.  

td

• td
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2004, 06:01:44 AM »

I've never played a character named Tony. :(
The closest I've come would be Sandy Lord in THE PHILADELPHIA STORY, and gosh all get up, he was QUITE Tony! :)
my hope for tonight is that Mr. Stephen Schwartz, a personal friend of BK, finally has a Tony to join his Oscars, Grammys and what-nots on his shelves. :)

As today is the day I have designated for my folks' Golden Anniversary Party, I will be playing host all day and all night (my intimate Tony party follows the Anniversay Party) so. . . . It's entirely possible that this may be my only post today. . .

Now, everyone just sing a few choruses of "Tonight" from WEST SIDE STORY, and it will really be a TONY party!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2004, 06:02:36 AM »

Oh and speaking of the Tonys, is anyone else very disappointed that we won't get to see the first awards.  At least PBS used to show them.  I'm not sure exactly which awards they are (I forget the exact list).  But I think orchestrations/sets/lighting ... are some of them. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2004, 06:04:08 AM »

Reading yesterday's notes, I wish Bombay Dreams could perform too.  But only the nominated musicals and revivals get to perform (except for Big River which is closed - BUT IT'S GETTING A TOUR!!!).

Danise

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2004, 06:07:04 AM »

Good morning, all!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Antony day![/move]
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2004, 06:28:35 AM »

our special Tony Awards edition of the Broadway Radio Show is now up and running....a bit early this week, but I figured you might want to listen as you prepare for this evening's festivities

ENJOY!
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2004, 06:32:53 AM »

Last night, DR S. Woody wrote: "If you haven't finished the film already, stop the film as Richard Benjamin walks the docks at the last port of call.  Then see if you can't figure out the whole mystery.  It's SO nice to see a mystery film that really plays fair, because you CAN solve this on your own!"

Oh, dear, you must have either skipped or forgotten an earlier message I wrote in which I said that I had seen this film many times prior to owning this DVD. When I saw THE LAST OF SHEILA in the theater, I did not choose the correct murderer. (I won't provide any spoilers; suffice to say, I didn't get it right, and it was my own fault.)

I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the film sometime today. The transfer looks just fine.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2004, 06:36:26 AM »

Mr. SWWhite, laboring under some sort of cognitive disorder, wrote:

you're suggesting that theater should stick to the lowest common denominator as the level of aspiration?

quoting a post of mine in which I'd suggested nothing of the sort.  In the commercial theatre, writers generally have one shot to impress their audience (and I thank George for pointing out that BK's close personal friend Stephen Sondheim shares this sentiment) and Broadway shows are too expensive to see multiple times.  Other DRs from mid-Atlantic states (Der Brucer and Jose) understood my point.

Today is a day for celebrating Broadway, that bright light of commercial theatre.  Its creators aim high, most of the time, and nobody aspires to write a show you have to see more than once to "get."  I shall soon hie me to Joe Allen's, where I'll brunch with a bunch of RATMites, many of whom have stopped posting there because they don't like being misquoted by Newport.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2004, 06:40:26 AM »

Yes, I'm eagerly looking forward to the Tony Awards tonight.

Some fondly remembered Tony moments:

The opening of the CHORUS LINE Tony show where the original company does "I Hope I Get It." The number is electric, and you can honestly feel the excitement of the audience during and at the end of the number.

Mary Martin trying to take Robert Preston's I DO! I DO! Tony away from him at the end of the very first national broadcast. (I also adored their "Nobody's Perfect" number from the show.)

Stephen Sondheim's eyes full of tears at the conclusion of the "Sunday" number and then Jerry Herman's eyes brimming at the conclusion of "I Am What I Am" on the infamous LA CAGE/SUNDAY IN THE PARK telecast.

The Nathan Lane/Gregory Hines "Girls" medley.

Angela Lansbury overcome with emotion at the response to "Everything's Comin' Up Roses" on the last time she hosted the show.

"Always Mademoiselle" with Katharine Hepburn.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2004, 06:41:12 AM »

I think that credit on PARIS WHEN IT SIZZLES reads:

Miss Hepburn's clothes and perfume by Givenchy.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2004, 06:50:29 AM »

I've mentioned this before but it sticks in my craw and I have to get it out:

Julie Andrews does not have a Tony. She has created four unforgettablke characters for the Broadway musical theater: Polly Browne in THE BOY FRIEND, Eliza Doolittle in MY FAIR LADY, Guenivere in CAMELOT, and Victoria Grant in VICTOR/VICTORIA. She has hosted the Tonys on numerous occasions and performed some thrilling numbers cincluding her own Broadway medley and "Send in the Clowns."

Now, Barry Manilow, Diana Ross, and Bette Midler, all talented folks I'll grant you but not Broadway stars nor people who have given much to Broadway, each has a Tony in their trophy cases.

Something is not right with this picture.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2004, 07:20:46 AM »

Dear BK: Re Charlie Chan and the Disclaimer Notice:

My definition of the phrase politically correct applies here: "The fine art of taking offence where none was intended."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up