Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: AUNTIE MEME  (Read 10116 times)

ChasSmith

Re: AUNTIE MEME
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2014, 01:02:37 PM »

This has been a Monday and a half.  Is it almost over?  Is it cocktail hour yet?

Wait.  I'll answer that.        Yes!    :)

ChasSmith

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2014, 01:17:45 PM »

I am listening to Shostakovich Symphony 1 with Ormandy conducting - not sure I've ever heard it before.  I do have an entire box of the Shostokovich symphonies, all the Columbia recordings, so maybe it's time to pop that box open.

Today, I shall continue listening to my "Ring Der Nibelungen" box set with "Die Walküre."

This is some great listening everyone's doing.

One of the Ormandy LPs I rediscovered and listened to the other day was the Shostakovich 4th, and I loved it.  I daresay I immediately liked it more than the ubiquitous 5th, and I can't even estimate how many times I listened to my first copy of the Bernstein LP of that one.  That was truly a "thing" in its day.

DR George, there are a couple of great "Ring" DVDs to seek out when you're of a mind to:  "The Golden Ring: The Making of Solit's Ring" is to die for, for those of us who remember what an event that recording was in its day, and for a glimpse into a "golden age" of recording history.  The other is "Sing Faster: The Stagehands' Ring Cycle".

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2014, 01:19:59 PM »

And I'm sorry, DR John G, but I do not understand this Facebook mania to post photos of your last meal if you are not doing a shoot for a food magazine or auditioning for a wrung in haute cuisine.

I am utterly baffled by people photographing their meals.  What's next?  Pictures of their bowel movements?  It seems the logical step.  The before and after pictures.
And I'm sorry, DR John G, but I do not understand this Facebook mania to post photos of your last meal if you are not doing a shoot for a food magazine or auditioning for a wrung in haute cuisine.

I am utterly baffled by people photographing their meals.  What's next?  Pictures of their bowel movements?  It seems the logical step.  The before and after pictures.

Which Bunuel movie was it in which the family gathered together for community bowel movements on their toilets but they ate in private because the act of eating as too disgusting to be done together?

Was it The Discreet Charm of the Bourgoisie?

Thank you. For some reason I get the titles of that and Obscure Object of Desire mixed up in my head. Not the movies, just the titles.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2014, 01:23:29 PM »

A woman's post from Facebook is what prompted today's notes.  She shared something she could have Googled to see that it was fake - something about microchips being implanted for Obamacare - now, forget how stupid you'd actually have to be to believe that crap, she posted it and two stupid people responded.  So, I went in and told them it was fake and included the Snopes link.  This woman, who happens to share my last name, removed my post and posted herself "appears to be Snopes."  I immediately deleted her from my "friends" list.  I really do think I will stop accepting friends as a matter of course.  This woman, for example, does nothing but post all day and evening long stuff she "shares" - showing her politically correct outrage at all manner of things both real and mostly false.  Buh bye.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2014, 01:23:46 PM »

Back from a patty melt and no fries or onion rings. 

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2014, 01:33:01 PM »

I am listening to Shostakovich Symphony 1 with Ormandy conducting - not sure I've ever heard it before.  I do have an entire box of the Shostokovich symphonies, all the Columbia recordings, so maybe it's time to pop that box open.

Today, I shall continue listening to my "Ring Der Nibelungen" box set with "Die Walküre."

One of the Ormandy LPs I rediscovered and listened to the other day was the Shostakovich 4th, and I loved it.  I daresay I immediately liked it more than the ubiquitous 5th, and I can't even estimate how many times I listened to my first copy of the Bernstein LP of that one.  That was truly a "thing" in its day.

DR George, there are a couple of great "Ring" DVDs to seek out when you're of a mind to:  "The Golden Ring: The Making of Solit's Ring" is to die for, for those of us who remember what an event that recording was in its day, and for a glimpse into a "golden age" of recording history.  The other is "Sing Faster: The Stagehands' Ring Cycle".

I've seen "Sing Faster: The Stagehands' Ring Cycle," but I'll have to look into "The Golden Ring."  Thanks for the info!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »

I've seen "Sing Faster: The Stagehands' Ring Cycle," but I'll have to look into "The Golden Ring."  Thanks for the info!

"The Golden Ring" kind of ranks right up there with Pennebaker's "Original Cast Album: Company". 

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2014, 02:23:04 PM »

"The Golden Ring" kind of ranks right up there with Pennebaker's "Original Cast Album: Company".

I seem to remember something about a horse.         8)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2014, 02:24:42 PM »

I seem to remember something about a horse.         8)

Does anybody still wear a horse?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2014, 02:25:08 PM »

I have to take a written test to get my MN driver's license. In all the other states I've moved to, they simply granted you the new license based on the valid license from your previous state.

I should have done this months ago. But, today, I crammed the online manual and then went downtown to the DMV.

I passed.       :)
I just come here for the novelty coffee mugs and their trenchant commentary on the little ironies of everyday life.

singdaw

• Someone in a tree
    • David's Facebook Page
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »

Does anybody still wear a horse?

The peanut gallery hath spoken.        ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2014, 02:31:51 PM »

Rehearsal in a half-hour.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2014, 02:40:28 PM »

I have to take a written test to get my MN driver's license. In all the other states I've moved to, they simply granted you the new license based on the valid license from your previous state.

I should have done this months ago. But, today, I crammed the online manual and then went downtown to the DMV.

Good!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2014, 03:13:53 PM »

From DR Miller:
We have a woman at my church who was 90 and her mother was still alive.

That proves Keith's response we he said the mother could still be alive.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »

From DR Cilla:
I think we should all go to San Antonio and have an eating tour with JohnG like the walking and eating tour we had with DR Jose in NYC

Brilliant idea!

Jane

« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2014, 03:18:34 PM »

From DR John:
The nearby park can accommodate plenty. My house is too dirty at the moment for guests.

:D

Jane

« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2014, 03:24:28 PM »

DR George, last night you watched the same two shows that we did.

I'm not sure how much I'm enjoying where the story is going on FALLING SKIES.  I thought LAST SHIP was, once again, excellent.

Jane

« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2014, 03:25:04 PM »

I thought that memes were the pictures with the funny captions, such as this:

Cute :)

Jane

« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2014, 03:28:08 PM »

Here is evidence of last night's doggie play date.  That is Cooper on the left, and my Zach on the right.  They got along just famously!!

They look evenly matched for wrestling.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2014, 03:34:02 PM »

TOD:  What I hate most on facebook is my newsfeed getting cluttered with other people's posts who are not friends just because some fb friend of mine commented on it

This is my biggest complain with fb.  I have my account set to "friends only" and hope that every time I "like" or comment every fb friend cannot read it.  When I first joined fb I could only see when mutual friends commented, not people I didn't know.

John G.

« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2014, 03:34:34 PM »

Back from a patty melt and no fries or onion rings. 

A patty melt. Yum.

I have leftover salad.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2014, 03:34:51 PM »

DR Ginny, are you and Richard getting all the info on the class of 1964 reunion?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2014, 03:36:04 PM »

Drivers of the world, beware! 

(And congratulations.)
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2014, 04:07:51 PM »

Drivers of the world, beware! 

(And congratulations.)

I studied that damned manual for a good six months before I took my written NY drivers test. i think I missed one question, but I was convinced I would fail it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2014, 04:23:27 PM »

I don't either, honestly, and wrote a column touching somewhat on the subject this week.

http://www.savorsa.com/2014/07/griffin-to-go-are-too-many-diners-expecting-the-moon-these-days/

But I don't understand much of the world today.

I am one to request a different table if there seems to be one I would prefer elsewhere.  You can usually tell before you sit down.  I don't ask after I have sat down unless there is a good reason, like a cold draft on my neck or the table location is too noisy. 

Jane

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2014, 04:28:10 PM »

This woman, who happens to share my last name, removed my post and posted herself "appears to be Snopes." 

:o

People usually say thank you and then sometimes they delete their entire post so it won't be shared again.

Cillaliz

« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2014, 04:28:51 PM »

Margot Adler

a phenomenal and endlessly interesting correspondent for NPR has died.
Sorry to hear that, I really like her

Jane

« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2014, 04:29:28 PM »

Congrats on passing.  In my experience the norm is a written test, not just showing a license from a different state.  I can't recall the state we lived in that accepted the current license. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2014, 04:33:40 PM »

Well Edith quit today.  I'm not sure what set her off, but she got all upset and walked out.  I think she's trying to do too much, new full time job, part time with me, taking online classes, daughter going to college and sister in law in hospice.  I told her to call if she want to come back.  She didn't leave her key, so I'm guessing she might be there tomorrow.  I did change the passwords on the computers.  I don't think she'd ever do anything crazy, but I have to protect the data.

Cillaliz

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2014, 04:35:32 PM »

So, I'm looking for part time help.  Luckily, we didn't have anything scheduled this week other than a couple appointments, so I'll have the week to regroup and try to figure out how I'm going to all this work myself.  I'll figure something out.  I'm planning to get the new job, but if I don't I'll look for new full time help then.  I'm amazingly not surprised and really not upset. I didn't see any way she could do everything
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up