Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IN LIVING COLOR  (Read 9300 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: IN LIVING COLOR
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2011, 06:38:58 AM »

Greetings from Toyland! The taxi ride down here was interesting: flashing police cars all over midtown, heavy traffic, and it see,s to me a general feeling of alarm and unease. I'm sure a lot of it is the 9/11 weekend, but I've noticed a lot of indications in the past week on the tv and subway announcements that something unpleasant is anticipated. I can only hope this is due to the anniversary and to the government's spy network.

I'm at Toyland, primed to use the scanner but nothing is working; I blame my colleague Curtis who's put passwords only he can use all over the equipment and then left the country for six months. Since there are essentially only two of us in the office currently, it seems a lot of bullshit and paranoia on his part. I am not amused. I'm downright angry.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:15:35 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 06:39:43 AM »

!! Page 2 Dance !!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2011, 06:45:07 AM »

Good morning, all, and thanks for the vibes. Haven't had an update this morning. I just hope he's resting peacefully.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 06:47:38 AM »

Too many errands this morning. But on the topic of the day, I remember we didn't have a TV set until I was six or seven, and it was given to us by people down the street. It didn't last too long, but by then I was hooked on reruns of "Gilligan's Island" and "Dark Shadows" and the like. When we got our own black and white set, Mom got with S&H Green Stamps. It was a Zenith 20-inch portable. Portable yet very heavy. I doubt the plastic handle could have been used by itself too many times.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2011, 06:48:50 AM »

Don't know if any of you are dance fans, but Lena Koukareko has died. Here's a clip of her and her husband performing a beautiful waltz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nWX-eeQE-w&feature=share
― Voltaire

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2011, 06:50:27 AM »

TOD:

Like JRand, I don't remember NOT having a television. Nor can I remember the first show I ever watch on it....a lot of kids shows and those dinner-time Western that always showed up around 6-6:30 at night...Roy Rogers, Wild Bill Hickox, The Texas Rangers.  Ohh, and THE WHIRLYBIRDS with Chuck and P.T. and THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD with Richard Greene

My grandfather had the first colour TV and the first things I remember watching were  Cincinnati Reds Baseball, The Rose Parade, Disney's Wonderful World of Colour, and a little later Bonanza.

I bought my own first TV, the summer between my freshman and junior year in college, around 1969 a small b&w portable that cost me $69 dollars...maybe 13 inch screen.  I had it for many a year and it travelled with me everywhere, especially when on tour as an actor in dinner theatre. I didn't mind b&w because mostly I watched old b&w movies on it. I finally got a colour TV in LA, around 1978-79, $400 bucks, 26-inch screen.

Cillaliz

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2011, 07:16:39 AM »

TOD  I don't remember not having a TV.  I also don't remember if we always had color, I don't think so...I remember it was a big deal when we got a color console tv in a big maple cabinet.   We could get chanels 2-13 and had to get up and turn the channel.  Since we lived in the middle of nowhere tv wise, we always had cable...that's how we got 2-13.

Cillaliz

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2011, 07:16:52 AM »

I don't remember the first shows I watched

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2011, 07:17:09 AM »

I am getting a sort throat

Cillaliz

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2011, 07:17:18 AM »

I want to go to a few garage sales

Cillaliz

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2011, 07:18:25 AM »

I also need to work all day.  I just have too much to do to take the whole weekend off.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2011, 07:36:26 AM »

TOD:

As I recall, we didn't get a TV until the early 1950s...primarily because of our location on Seattle's Capital Hill made it difficult to get a reception.  When we finally did get a set, our antenna was about 8-10 feet tall.

The very first show I ever watched on our set was THE LONE RANGER.  It was the opening episode.  [Years later, Clayton Moore and I became neighbors in Calabasas, CA.]

I don't recall having a color TV in our house.  I think my mother got one after I'd moved to Los Angeles in 1963.

You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2011, 08:16:59 AM »

This day is needlessly frustrating and I'm having visions of killing a co-worker. Because he's a control freak, everything in rthis office is under his thumb abnd since he's out of the country, nothing is workable.

td

• td
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2011, 08:23:11 AM »

Prayers and vibes to John G's uncle.

DITTO
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2011, 08:25:28 AM »

And the word of the day is: CONTUMACIOUS!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  I WANT TO BE BAD

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2011, 08:34:46 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  I slept until 10am today - guess the crew that's digging up the street and sidewalks in our neighborhood have the day off, so it was quiet.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2011, 08:35:53 AM »

DR John G - prayers and vibes for your uncle...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2011, 08:43:22 AM »

I'm catching the last half hour of ESPN's "College Game Day," broadcasting today from Ingalls Mall in Ann Arbor.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2011, 09:01:51 AM »

I'm up, she of the Evil Eye is here and I'll be jogging shortly.

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2011, 09:32:15 AM »

Ingalls Mall in Ann Arbor is not a shopping center.  It's the north-south expanse that runs from the Rackham Building to the Graduate Library, flanked on the west by Burton Memorial Tower and Hill Auditorium and on the east by the Michigan League and Alumni Center:

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2011, 09:39:55 AM »

I suspect the photo in my previous post was taken from Burton Tower.  The gray building with the green roof is Rackham and the 2 red brick buildings are the Alumni Center and the Michigan League.  The League used to be the Women's League; it was built as a female student union when Michigan Union was men only.  Even though that restriction had been lifted by the time I enrolled, I spent hours and hours in the League because it was more convenient than the Union.  The Lydia Mendelssohn Theatre is part of the League and that's where I saw Jimmy Stewart and Helen Hayes in HARVEY.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2011, 09:44:32 AM »

DR John G VIBES FOR YOUR UNCLE & YOUR FAMILY!!!!

Kerry

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2011, 09:57:33 AM »

Well, the day dawns with nice blue skies. So I guess the ".67" rain we were supposed to get must actually mean "you can point to six or seven drops."

Six or seven drops is exactly what we got, too!
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2011, 09:57:37 AM »

Re:  "Thelma and Louise".  The scene with the copy, played beautifully by actor Jason Beghe, rang wonderfully true for me because I witnessed similar meltdowns during my military career.  Guys who could have been poster Marines, too. 

I guess it depends upon what you've been exposed to, but I'd hate for that scene to be cut in any way.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Kerry

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2011, 09:58:23 AM »

The vibes go out-- and it sounds like many need them.
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2011, 09:59:08 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Greetings from Atlanta!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »

Thanks again for the Travel Vibes!

My flight from DCA to ATL was actually quite nice and productive. I was also able to check into my room at the hotel when I got it, so I was able to freshen up before starting to play this morning. And the auditions this morning were pretty good too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2011, 10:03:03 AM »

And it turns out that this "airport hotel" is actually just two blocks from a nice cluster of restaurants. Everything from a Waffle House to an Irish pub to Thai and sushi.

Of course, I'm at lunch right now. :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 10:23:44 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »

So far, so good...

When I boarded, the two seats next to me were filled - I had the window seat. However, once the cabin doors were closed, I was able to move up two rows to my own row. Yay!

That's fun when that happens.  (Could you have switched at the gate before boarding, or does seat changing not work that way?)

...I was still waking up by the time I got to the gate to inquire about changing seats. ;)

*I don't ever recall getting to an airport before(!) the McDonald's stand opened, and in the past few weeks, that's happened twice!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 10:44:35 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2011, 10:48:21 AM »

And now it's time for me to head back to my hotel room and take a nap.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up