Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT  (Read 19269 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:FIGHTING THE GOOD FIGHT
« Reply #120 on: June 26, 2005, 01:43:48 PM »

Oh... I haven't heard this song in a long time...  Music by Ginastera, and a heart-breaking poem by Francisco Silva y Valdes.

CANCIÓN DEL ARBOL DEL OLVIDO

En mis pagos hay un arbol
      Que del olvido se llama,
      Al que van a despenarse,
      Vidalitay, Vidalitay,
      Los moribundos del alma.

Para no pensar en vos
      Bajo el arbol del olvido
      Me acosté una nochecita,
      Vidalitay, Vidalitay,
      Y me quedé bien dormido.

Al despertar de aquel sueño
      Pensaba en vos otra vez,
      Pues me olvidé de olvidarte,
      Vidalitay, Vidalitay,
      Encuantito me acosté.

THE SONG OF THE TREE OF FORGETTING*

In my neighborhood there is a tree
that's called the tree of forgetting,
to which go to lay down their troubles,
Vidalitay, Vidalitay,
those whose souls are dying.

So that I would no longer think of you
under the tree of forgetting
I lay down one evening,
Vidalitay, Vidalitay,
and I fell fast asleep.

When I awoke from that dream
I thought of you once again,
because I forgot to forget you,
Vidalitay, Vidalitay,
as soon as I lay down.

(English translation by Jacqueline Cockburn)

*The song title is also translated as "The Tree of Obilvion".
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #121 on: June 26, 2005, 01:50:09 PM »

I'm a Diet Pepsi man, myself. ;) I tried the "Pepsi One" that's supposed to taste more like regular Pepsi, and I don't like it.  It tastes more like regular Pepsi, which I don't like.  I don't mind diet Coke but I can't stand regular Coke. :P You can't pay me to drink it...unless you have a lot of money! ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2005, 01:54:08 PM »

Ah, the differences in taste buds. Pepsi One is my favorite soft drink, and I have more of it in my pantry than any other soft drink. But really, Diet Pepsi, Diet Coke, and pepsi One are all just fine with me. I also drink Diet Mountain Dew, and Diet Cheerwine (when on sale).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: June 26, 2005, 01:55:37 PM »

OK. Going to work on the trivia contest some more. Will be back later (hopefully to e-mail bk an answer).

George

« Reply #124 on: June 26, 2005, 02:00:34 PM »

Let me say this:  Ouch.

There.  I've said it.  And I hurt.  I hurt all over.  That's why I said it.

I hurt because of the American Cancer Society's Relay For Life.  But I only walked a total of about 2 1/2 hours, so I think the real problem comes from afterwards having to take everything down and haul it away from the campsite with no cart or wagon to use.  One of our members, Carole, has a huge canopy that is made from very heavy 6-foot metal poles and very thick tarp material.  When it's all set up, it's probably 10 feet high at the top and takes a lot of people to set up and take down.  We also had to remove our coolers filled with cans of cola and bottles of water, but with no cart or anything to help carry the stuff, we had to carry it all ourselves.  I think our team will need to invest in some wagon or cart so that for future events (our rummage sale, even), we won't have to rely on aging human bodies to move everything.  Good idea, huh?  Why couldn't someone have thought of this earlier?? ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2005, 02:01:04 PM »

Well, I have a couple of Netflix movies to watch, so that's what I'll do.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2005, 02:16:39 PM »

McDonald's is evil.

I agree with you on this one, SWoody. When I take my friend's son out, I refuse to go to fast food. I figured he needed to learn how to eat in a restaurant. He gets enough McDonald's as it is.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2005, 02:17:43 PM »

I hope your sore muscles feel better soon, George. I've been stiff and sore lately, too. But then I'm old.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2005, 02:34:32 PM »

DR George - Check you shoes.  It's amazing what a new, not worn-in pair of shoes will do for one's health!  With the amount of walking - and sometimes running - that I do, I've found I need to buy a new pair every six to nine months - which is actually suggested by the "experts" - and I don't mean Tom Cruise.  ;)

I've also learned to rotate my shoes from day to day.  That helps too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2005, 02:35:49 PM »

OK...

Niece and nephew have left...

And I need to get out of here too for a bit - just a little stir-crazy....

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: June 26, 2005, 02:41:46 PM »

Jane: Got watermelon and will eat it in a little while.

"No one is alone"  I'M alone, damn it all - no one is here to love and understand me - oh, what hard luck stories they all hand me.  No one to rub my feet or my neck or my head.  I fight alone.

I don't even remember what projects I was working on when that whole thing happened.  I tend to want to look forward, not backward.  I have a few things in mind and when I'm able to do them, I'll probably do them

Miss Channing: I don't think she's so hot on the original album, but no, she was not in good voice when we did the revival.  I ultimately had to fly to Rochester to fix the worst of it.  But, she's who she is, and I'm rather fond of the album.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: June 26, 2005, 02:44:42 PM »

Jennifer: Once you click "Buy now" you are taken to a page where all the shipping stuff is laid out plainly.  We settled on 3.50 for the States (even though I lose money at that rate) and something like 6 or 7 for out of the country (and I probably lose money there, too).

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2005, 02:50:26 PM »

Tom Cruise is an expert about nothing, not even about the character who is known as "Tom Cruise."

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: June 26, 2005, 02:52:30 PM »

Good morning from OZ.  I'll return later. At least I've caught up.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: June 26, 2005, 02:53:34 PM »

Speaking of the original HELLO, DOLLY, I keep meaning to buy the new pressing of it to get the Merman cuts which have been added to it. The new pressing of OLIVER! has additions as well which I need to have.

The only DOLLY! CD I have right now is BK's revival pressing.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: June 26, 2005, 03:59:19 PM »

The USA station is having a LAW & ORDER SVU marathon.  I just saw Rebecca Luker.   And she didn't sing one note!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2005, 04:19:07 PM »

There not singin' any notes around this jernt either, since I'm the only one here.

Danise

« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2005, 04:40:16 PM »

Evening all.  I have been a very busy person.  I would say I am woman, hear me roar but I'm to tired.  It's more like hear me yawn.

I mowed the back and front yard.  Used the whip to edge, used the blower to clean the porch, did 3 loads of clothes, cleaned the bathroom up, washed out the sink, tub and toilet and last but not least, I made a pot of bean soup.   Not that I can have the soup but I felt like making it.  

Sorry to hear that your sore, DR George.  At least it's a good sore for a good cause.   :)

I hope that DR Ann  & BK feels better soon.  All this flu and it's summer!  Not good.  
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 04:41:23 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2005, 04:44:23 PM »

I've a couple of days off, so I'll have time to try to catch up on the postings.

But right now I need dinner.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2005, 04:54:00 PM »

Jennifer: Once you click "Buy now" you are taken to a page where all the shipping stuff is laid out plainly.  We settled on 3.50 for the States (even though I lose money at that rate) and something like 6 or 7 for out of the country (and I probably lose money there, too).

I had clicked on "buy now" before i posted and all it said was something like "shipping and handling may be added at checkout".  It didn't say anything about actual amounts.  Perhaps once you've gone to check-out it does.  All I meant though, is that I really prefer to know the exact shipping costs in advance.  I know that even at amazon you often have to go right to checkout to get the shipping costs.  But I don't think it should be this way.

Curious, is it $6 or $7 for canada as well, or just for overseas?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2005, 05:07:24 PM »

Yes, it's all lumped under "international" anywhere out of the US.  You do have to go to checkout, just like amazon, and that's where it's calculated.  It's too much information (all the variables) to put on the album listing page.

Tomovoz

« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2005, 05:11:14 PM »

I'll check in a few days BK. Maybe I'll cheque or Czech as well.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2005, 05:15:45 PM »

I think there more posts than there were as this time yesterday. That was an informative comment.

I've just returned from the Post Office - spent $35 on postage (worth it) on packages sent to people I've met through this site. HHW has provided an incredible network Bk.  You should be proud of the friendship network that has been built through HHW. My mail was to France. England, Canada and the USA.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2005, 05:16:00 PM »

Hey, Aussie!  Glad to see your friendly face!  How are things going???!!!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 05:16:25 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2005, 05:17:05 PM »

Hello RLP . G'Day. I may have misread your post.  Did I read that the Fairy was "out" or was that the tooth.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2005, 05:25:31 PM »

Yeas...it's the tooth.  I've been relieved of the horrible pain and replaced it with a different pain, but at least one that's manageable with meds.

It's caused some disruptions in my sleeping patterns, but I spent many of those sleepless hours working diligently on the trivia question -- the multi-layered, many-clued, mind-numbing trivia question.  I think I acquitted myself well by it.  Time will tell.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 05:27:19 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2005, 05:26:45 PM »

Feeling much better this week Ron. Able to drive a bit more and feel less trapped. hoepfully a few more bits will be in working order soon. Better than toothache.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2005, 05:32:43 PM »

Feeling much better this week Ron. Able to drive a bit more and feel less trapped. hoepfully a few more bits will be in working order soon. Better than toothache.

I'm very glad to hear it.  I know the mobility is a great incentive and morale booster!!!

Bit by bit, I suppose.....

:D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2005, 05:41:09 PM »

I've just returned from the Post Office - spent $35 on postage (worth it) on packages sent to people I've met through this site. HHW has provided an incredible network Bk.  You should be proud of the friendship network that has been built through HHW. My mail was to France. England, Canada and the USA.

Amen, DRTomovoz!  Whoever would think that people I've yet to meet face to face could become such an important element of my daily existence!  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2005, 05:42:53 PM »

I am back from a "prideful" (is that a word?) day. It began with brunch at the New Venus at 23rd Street and 8th Avenue at 11:15am. The place was very busy and a friend was late so it was not a wonderful time. The service was less efficient than in the past but it was very busy. Have to keep that in mind. We then went off to 19th Street and Fifth Avenue to await the arrival of the Parade/March, whatever you want to call it. Some call it a march to keep the political idea intact, others call it a parade because, frankly, that's what it is. This year, I actually call it a little dull. I saw lots of politicians like Hilliary Clinton, Michael Bloomberg, Al Sharpton, Charles Schumer and others. Also diverse groups from Gay Armenians to children being pulled in wagons with signs praising their Lesbian moms.

We left before the whole thing was over. We wandered over near the Village (I knew that was a mistake before we got there but do they listen to me? Nooooo) We ended up at Caliente Cab Company. There were 3 of us. We each had one frozen margarita, a side of guacamole, salsa and chips and a medium size quesidila cut into 4 pieces. There were also two diet Cokes in the mix. That's ALL we had. The bill upon leaving was $75 plus tip. A bit excessive for my taste. Oh, well. I had a very nice time with my friends and as we walked uptown and away from the madness we had a very good talk about things going on. It was, all in all, a nice day. I'm glad to be home and need to go to bed since I have to go to work in the morning.

Nytol!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2005, 05:44:06 PM by Ben »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up