Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ONE AND ONLY BLURB  (Read 2794 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE ONE AND ONLY BLURB
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2018, 05:46:53 PM »

At my last visit to my gynecologist it was a bit chilly, nothing what you are describing, and to my surprise I was told to wear my warmer sweater instead of the gown.  I was much more comfortable waiting. 

Visits to the GYN are ALWAYS chilly. Nature of the beast. You SHOULD be able to wear a sweater.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2018, 05:50:06 PM »

There was an article in the NYT recently about how to have a successful doctor's visit. I had to steer clear. I was tempted to respond and tell THEM how to have a successful one themselves! Start with ANSWER THE FRIGGIN' PHONE! Offer online scheduling. Etc. I don't think they want patient feedback.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2018, 05:53:05 PM »

Jane, this complex is on Jefferson Blvd, in Playa Vista, where Hughes Aircraft Company used to be. COMPLETELY built up and unrecognizable. Out of curiosity I looked into apartment rents: $3300/mo and up for a one-bedroom! None of my house payments were anywhere near that.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2018, 05:59:06 PM »

I just got off the phone from my first weird phone call with Apple Care.  I could not hear the young lady nor get her to raise her volume.  I finally hung up in disgust.  I'll call back when I've calmed down.

I've had this problem with many customer service reps:
Me: I'm having trouble hearing you. Could you speak up?
Them: No.
Me: Then could you speak more slowly?
Them: What do you want--for me to speak louder or more slowly?
Me: Well, you said you couldn't louder so I thought that if you speak more slowly I could understand you better.
Them: grumble, grumble, grumble.

A friend suggested that I ask them to adjust their headset. Viola! There's a short pause, then they say, "Is that better?' YES! I think it also reminds them they need to take responsibility at their end, something that may not have occurred to them otherwise.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2018, 06:01:21 PM »

Does no one consider the patient (or customer) experience? Except of course we patients/customers.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2018, 06:10:49 PM »

Re the map to the office, when I phoned for the appointment I was pleased to speak to a NOT-twenty-something male who had a good speaking voice, understandable and who also went into detail and answered all my questions. So different from UCLA! I'd looked on Google Maps, but it wasn't clear where the offices were. Once he explained that they're in the same complex as Whole Foods, I said, "Oh, don't look for medical offices, look for Whole Foods!" But from there he didn't elaborate. When I arrived I mentioned how difficult it was to find their offices. He said they're working on better signage. But doesn't that tell you to give out more than just the street address on the phone? It took me 20 minutes to drive over there, then 15 minutes once parked to find the office. Does this not occur to any of the managers? Does not anyone think, "It's really hard to find us. We need to let people know where we are?" The text they use to remind you of the appointment links to a map, but the map only gets you t the building, not the office.

You would expect them to know better.  I hope they do now after your complaints.

Jane

« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »

I just got off the phone from my first weird phone call with Apple Care.  I could not hear the young lady nor get her to raise her volume.  I finally hung up in disgust.  I'll call back when I've calmed down.

Me: Well, you said you couldn't louder so I thought that if you speak more slowly I could understand you better.

A friend suggested that I ask them to adjust their headset. Viola! There's a short pause, then they say, "Is that better?' YES! I think it also reminds them they need to take responsibility at their end, something that may not have occurred to them otherwise.

It is even worse when your hearing is bad.  I have never had anyone be so rude and ask "What do you want--for me to speak louder or more slowly?".  Usually they adjust the headsets on their own but I shall have to remember to ask for that one if needed.  When someone slows down for me, after I explain it helps, I compliment them.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2018, 06:15:06 PM »

I'm currently reading one of my favorite authors, Christopher Fowler. Fowler is a Londoner who often takes sly swipes with social commentary. One of my favorites is when John May, a London detective, says that in Estonia the police have all the technology and equipment that they need.

I wonder what health care is like in Estonia. My view is that much of the problem in the US isn't a matter of money, which of course is always blamed, as if more money will solve all problems, but one of attitude. I'd like to see more compassion in health care, and less "go here, go there, get this test, get that test," with each requiring a separate visit, and delays every step of the way. Kaiser generally put everything under one roof, which makes sense. At UCLA it was the opposite.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:23:44 PM by Jeanne »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2018, 06:16:17 PM »

Re the map to the office, when I phoned for the appointment I was pleased to speak to a NOT-twenty-something male who had a good speaking voice, understandable and who also went into detail and answered all my questions. So different from UCLA! I'd looked on Google Maps, but it wasn't clear where the offices were. Once he explained that they're in the same complex as Whole Foods, I said, "Oh, don't look for medical offices, look for Whole Foods!" But from there he didn't elaborate. When I arrived I mentioned how difficult it was to find their offices. He said they're working on better signage. But doesn't that tell you to give out more than just the street address on the phone? It took me 20 minutes to drive over there, then 15 minutes once parked to find the office. Does this not occur to any of the managers? Does not anyone think, "It's really hard to find us. We need to let people know where we are?" The text they use to remind you of the appointment links to a map, but the map only gets you t the building, not the office.

You would expect them to know better.  I hope they do now after your complaints.

Fat chance! My complaints and suggestions fall on deaf ears. Again, Not My Job.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2018, 06:22:52 PM »

It is even worse when your hearing is bad.  I have never had anyone be so rude and ask "What do you want--for me to speak louder or more slowly?".  Usually they adjust the headsets on their own but I shall have to remember to ask for that one if needed.  When someone slows down for me, after I explain it helps, I compliment them.

Yes, particularly when someone has an accent, slower speech makes them more understandable. Not long ago I asked a woman without an accent to slow down. She responded by speaking both VEEEERRRRY SLOWLY and VERY loud. I found it quite offensive. I don't have hearing problems, but I truly dislike the way so many young people speak at supersonic speeds. Of course, with a hearing problem this would be even worse. I'm sure that many of these people have gone to training courses. Does no one cover this?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2018, 06:35:42 PM »

Once again, the office had a form for commending fine service, but none for suggestions or complaints. They think they're doing great. We have different standards.

I let my osteopath know I like him. I let him know verbally, plus I usually give him a Christmas present. We have a good rapport. Just before he left UCLA I asked if we could exchange email addresses, as I knew I'd want his feedback on the new medical group before I had to make the change. That, of course, is operating outside of the system and probably frowned upon. If they were all doing a great job it wouldn't be needed.

Jane

« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2018, 06:43:01 PM »

Yes, particularly when someone has an accent, slower speech makes them more understandable. Not long ago I asked a woman without an accent to slow down. She responded by speaking both VEEEERRRRY SLOWLY and VERY loud. I found it quite offensive. I don't have hearing problems, but I truly dislike the way so many young people speak at supersonic speeds. Of course, with a hearing problem this would be even worse. I'm sure that many of these people have gone to training courses. Does no one cover this?

Interesting, I have never had anyone go to such an extreme when they slow down.  Maybe because I am letting them know it is my fault and not their fault.  Of course it usually is their fault because they shouldn't be speaking that fast in the first place.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2018, 06:44:19 PM »

Many years ago, in a corporate setting, I wrote a lengthy paper to my boss, outlining the many problems of our organization. This was a young, start-up technology company and we'd grown very fast.  My boss was shocked when I pointed out that I'd resorted to bribing one of the secretaries in order to get work done. Senior management refused to offer better wages and these young women had limited incentive. I found that bribery was very effective. But raises still weren't forthcoming. Sometimes you have to operate outside the system.

Jane

« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2018, 06:47:11 PM »

I liked my original Endocrinologist when we lived in Ashland.  To simplify his practice, and probably to reduce his hours, he joined another practice in a medical building.  I actually liked the lab downstairs where I got my bone density test and treatments, but the front office for his practice was too big and unfriendly. 

My first visit there I asked, with concern, if he liked it there.  He kind of said yes.  By the 2nd visit he told me he was retiring.  He never complained but I don't think he liked the atmosphere.  It was much nicer when he had his own building.

Jane

« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2018, 06:47:49 PM »

Many years ago, in a corporate setting, I wrote a lengthy paper to my boss, outlining the many problems of our organization. This was a young, start-up technology company and we'd grown very fast.  My boss was shocked when I pointed out that I'd resorted to bribing one of the secretaries in order to get work done. Senior management refused to offer better wages and these young women had limited incentive. I found that bribery was very effective. But raises still weren't forthcoming. Sometimes you have to operate outside the system.

:o

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2018, 06:52:15 PM »

Interesting, I have never had anyone go to such an extreme when they slow down.  Maybe because I am letting them know it is my fault and not their fault.  Of course it usually is their fault because they shouldn't be speaking that fast in the first place.

I don't think they realize how fast they're speaking, just like many of them don't realize how rude their behavior often is. Many young people speak very rudely, IMO, to their friends. Maybe they find this funny. I don't, but it is certainly the norm.

There's no question that negative stereotypes abound when it comes to seniors or the disabled. We're not just slowing down, we're feeble to many minds. I haven't found the right set of come-backs yet. If anyone has some suggestions I'd love to hear them. Conversation-stoppers, the sort of remarks that stops their rudeness dead. I have a friend who's very good at this. Perhaps I'll ask him. I know he runs into the same crap and he feels as I do about it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2018, 06:56:10 PM »

I liked my original Endocrinologist when we lived in Ashland.  To simplify his practice, and probably to reduce his hours, he joined another practice in a medical building.  I actually liked the lab downstairs where I got my bone density test and treatments, but the front office for his practice was too big and unfriendly. 

My first visit there I asked, with concern, if he liked it there.  He kind of said yes.  By the 2nd visit he told me he was retiring.  He never complained but I don't think he liked the atmosphere.  It was much nicer when he had his own building.

I had a dentist in Alexandria, VA who joined another practice. Quality went way downhill. He was planning to retire anyway, but I felt I'd been thrown to the lions. I made a very pointed and detailed complaint to the office manager, and took my business elsewhere.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2018, 07:04:08 PM »

I have a dentist here who I like very much. He saw me on a Sunday when I was going through the root canal mess. He was out of town that weekend, but we were on the phone a lot to get me painkillers and arrange the Sunday visit. He didn't seem to think this was out of the ordinary, but I don't know how many dentists would do it. The situation was complicated by the fact that I'm allergic to mold and the antibiotic he felt I needed was a mold-derivative. He consulted with an MD friend, who advised a probiotic that's particularly good with mold. I feel that's the sort of care all patients should receive, but I wonder how many do.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2018, 07:05:14 PM »

Time for dinner.

TTFN.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2018, 07:27:33 PM »

I just heard from one of my favorite directors and teachers in college.  His daughter, who was a lawyer and animal rights activist in Chicago, died this week.  She was their only child.  So sad.

How terrible.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2018, 07:29:09 PM »

From now until 10:30 Monday I am in intensive IRS prep.  I hope it goes well and easily since I've already categorized my receipts.  My Canon calculator will e churning out tapes like mad.
DR vixmom, you showed admirable restraint.  I would be on this harpy until he was rubble and publicly shamed.

That lousy excuse for a human being is overdue for a mighty fall.  How can this behavior have gone on up to now without a major takedown?  He didn’t just start being this way.

It's about an immature, incompetent ass trying to protect his territory from being found out.  I'd be on him until he's unemployed.

He's senior partner of his own firm

Doesn't mean he's not an immature, incompetent ass trying to protect his territory from being found out.

I don't disagree with you... Just the chances of him becoming unemployed are nil

vixmom

« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2018, 07:30:35 PM »

While not a pet, here is another video from Africa. DR Jeanne I wish I knew how to put it here for you to watch.  I guess you need FB open to watch the sweet elephants.
https://www.facebook.com/Jane.Wagner.Lassner/videos/vb.1455833296/10214448035702116/?type=2&video_source=user_video_tab

Aaaaaaaaw

vixmom

« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2018, 07:32:08 PM »

When it’s snowing in Tacoma ...

Sounds like a song, TCB.

Yes, it is from my "Weather In Washington" CD.

The other big hit from that CD is "Sleetless In Seattle"

;D ;D ;D

vixmom

« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2018, 07:34:54 PM »

When it’s snowing in Tacoma ...

Sounds like a song, TCB.

LOL

Yes, it is from my "Weather In Washington" CD.

The other big hit from that CD is "Sleetless In Seattle"

Where can I order a copy? Is it a Kritzerland release?

Actually, it was rejected by Kritzerland.  I believe it is available from K-Tel Records.

LOL

vixmom

« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2018, 07:36:47 PM »

Well, I must be off, too.  I'm going to meet with Tom in Tacoma and then we'll hie ourselves to Seattle to see the 5th Avenue Theatre's production of Mamma Mia!  Can't wait! :D

Be back later!

Have fun, boys!!!

vixmom

« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2018, 07:46:04 PM »

BK I am not sure I mentioned how very much I like the blurb and how much Ian looking forward to reading this book

vixmom

« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2018, 07:46:14 PM »

A lot

vixmom

« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2018, 07:46:26 PM »

Please consider it mentioned

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2018, 08:01:04 PM »

I’m watching an old-time Disney movie called The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin. Obviously it was a family favorite years ago. Roddy McDowell is the title character, a British butler in the Old West.

The Sherman Brothers did the songs. Not a classic but highly enjoyable.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2018, 08:01:19 PM »

Let’s move on...
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up