Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH GEAR  (Read 22883 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:HIGH GEAR
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2005, 02:30:37 PM »

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday when writing about FANTASIA is that although I know Disney restored the film on video at some point in the 1990s, they obviously did not subject it to the intense scrubbing and buffing that they've done to their other classics lately.

CINDERELLA doesn't have a speck of dust or dirt anywhere on it and neither does ALICE IN WONDERLAND or SNOW WHITE or BAMBI.

There are water marks and dirt specks all over FANTASIA. I'm not saying it looks bad at all; the colors are vibrant and the images astounding, but it does not have that clean and polished look that the other Disney classics have now.

I'm not sure that's a bad thing. I'm just stating something I noticed yesterday as I was watching. Maybe those artifacts give it some character and make it less sterile. I just found it interesting to think about. I'm not sure another issue of FANTASTIA would be worth the expense of digitally cleaning it for another release.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2005, 02:31:11 PM »

Where's DRDanise been the past day?  Anyone heard from her?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2005, 02:33:22 PM »

DR Joy... I kept thinking I knew you from somewhere and when everyone mentioned Noel yetserday I finally made the connection!!

I love your Wedding (which  I listen to often) You have such a lovely voice. Noel stopped  posting shortly after I joined (I sincerely hope there was no connection to those two events!)

Please give him my regards and tell him he is missed.

Thank you, how lovely that our wedding is all over the world... thanks to DR Noel's "aggressive" marketing via the Internet!  I assure you there was no connection.  :)
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Matt H.

« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2005, 02:34:24 PM »

I LOVE LUCY Page 4 Dance!!!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2005, 02:37:57 PM »

Do you have to cart your laundry over an avenue to a crowded, ghetto laundromat where there are NEVER enough dryers, and when you take the clothes out your hands get burned?  HMMMM?????

;)
Been there, done that.

I once had my clothes stolen from the dryer, in a situation like that.  I'm just glad I've got a basement with my own washer and dryer now.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2005, 02:42:09 PM »

TD thanks for all the  Radio City links.. I am going to visit them from work tomorrow (where I have the fast connection) and make print outs for the girls

You're quite welcome!
They don't call me a "research consultant" for nothing over at Scarlet Street!  :D
Today was also the celebration of All Saints' Day at our church, with Dad's photo, we included the following verses:
What is death?
Death is nothing at all.
I have only slipped away into the next room, and I am I and you are you.
Whatever we were to each other then, that we are still.
Speak to me in the easy way that you always used, laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together, let my name be ever the household word that it always was.
Life means all that it ever meant; there's absolute unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I'm out of sight?
I am waiting for you, somewhere very near, just around the corner.
All is well."

and
When I come to the end of the road
and the sun has set for me,
I want no rites in a gloom filled room,
Why cry for a soul set free.
Miss me a little. . .but not too long,
and not with your head bowed low.
Remember the love that was once shared
miss me, but let me go.
For this is a journey we must all take
and each much go alone.
It is all a part of the master's plan
a step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick of heart
Go to friends we know
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds
Miss me. . .but let me go.
(if only I knew a good songwriter to set those words to music, preferably in the baritone range. . .;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2005, 02:43:25 PM »

Headed down now to clean the guest bath.

WBBL will a report on the night's TV offerings.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2005, 02:43:48 PM »

Been there, done that.

I once had my clothes stolen from the dryer, in a situation like that.  I'm just glad I've got a basement with my own washer and dryer now.

Last year at this time, I was in Ft. Lauderdale at a hotel, and there was laundry drama.  A friend of mine had her clothes stolen from the dryer, including a very expensive pair of her favorite jeans, AND her underwear.  The culprit was caught more or less red-handed, but the young "lady" just would not give in.  After being confronted by the manager of the hotel, she tried to turn the tables on my friend and accuse HER of stealing HER underwear.  Before storming off down the hall she yelled to my friend, "I hope you get a YEAST INFECTION!!!"   :o :o :o :o :P ::) :-X

td

• td
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2005, 02:45:01 PM »

It's Sunday, Lar, I'm trying to show restraint.

That's alright, TCB, you can show me your restraint any time. . .not just on Sundays.   ;)

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2005, 02:46:50 PM »

Okay, I really must put away my clean clothes (now that they have cooled to a reasonable temperature), go grocery shopping, cook, and finish prepping for tomorrow's audition.  Bye for now!

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2005, 02:48:50 PM »

DR Elmore, I am glad that you liked BRIDE AND PREJUDICE...perhapes I will rent it next week along with BOLLYWOOD AND VINE. Add to the mix THE GURU and I will be having quite a faux-Bollywood festival!

MBarnum

« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2005, 02:49:31 PM »

Hmm...it does seem that Danise has not been around these here parts for at least a few days...and Hisaka too...

td

• td
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2005, 02:51:54 PM »

I adore BRIDE & PREDJUDICE!  Maybe I'll pull that off the shelf for entertainment tonight!
This afternoon, I finished up THE PRIVATE LIVES OF ELIZABETH AND ESSEX and played a bit of DODGE CITY. . .I also adore Errol Flynn.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2005, 02:55:51 PM »

Jose, that 70s Disco project is another one we cast, starring Ms. Juliana.  I keep trying to get everyone at the office to read her Journal.  Anyway, it's a Broadway workshop called Last Dance.  She plays "Kitten".  Ahem.

Joy, is this the musical that Donna Summer is writing?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2005, 03:00:15 PM »

I LOVE LUCY Page 4 Dance!!!

I'm watching Finding Lucy on Public TV right now!

George

« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2005, 03:00:52 PM »

Okay, is it just me or is this one of those "separated at birth" moments?

and  

Huh?  Am I right?

Here are the pictures at approximately the same size:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2005, 03:05:24 PM »

Okay, is it just me or is this one of those "separated at birth" moments?
Huh?  Am I right?

Suddenly, I feel like singing a Vera-Ellen/Rosemary Clooney duet.

George

« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2005, 03:15:37 PM »

Suddenly, I feel like singing a Vera-Ellen/Rosemary Clooney duet.

And now that song is going through my head!

George

« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2005, 03:17:25 PM »

I have to go now.  I have a few things to do before I get down to the theater.  Later! ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2005, 03:30:54 PM »

TPunk has to go study psychotic and anxiety disorders.  What are we, chopped liver?  I think you can learn just as much about psychotic and anxiety disorders right here at haineshisway.com than in any book, don't you, dear readers?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2005, 03:34:14 PM »

Re: Fantasia 2000

Has anyone noticed how much of this film is about flight, or contains images of flight?

"Symphony #5" by Beethovan: two flying pairs of triangles.

"Pines of Rome," by Respighi: flying whales.

"Rhapsody in Blue," by Gershwin: one of the characters dreams of flying.

"Piano Concerto #2" by Shostakovich: an exception.  Oh, well.

"Carnival of the Animals" by Saint-Saens: flamingos.

"Pomp and Circumstance Marches" by Elgar: Donald's a duck, fer crying out loud!

"Firebird Suite," by Stravinsky: the sprite flies.  A lot.

(Personally, I love the tail of Donald and the Ark.  It's a breezy romp!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2005, 03:42:57 PM »

Meanwhile, with the original Fantasia, I'm amazed some morality group hasn't glommed onto this film's true cultural agenda!

It starts out inocently enough, sure, with the abstractions paired with Bach's Toccata and Fugue.  But then...

In the Nutcracker, we're presented a bunch of naked fairies!

In The Sorcerer's Apprentice, we're given witchcraft!

Rite of Spring?  Darwinism!

Pastoral Symphony?  Paganism!

Dance of the Hours?  Beastiality!

Night on Bald Mountain?  Satanism!

And, just when things couldn't get any worse, they do!

Ave Maria: an ode to shudder PAPISM!

Oh, the horror, the horror!!!

8)

Ginny

« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2005, 03:49:20 PM »

Where's DRDanise been the past day?  Anyone heard from her?

I've been wondering the same thing, DR elmore.  Think I'll send her an email.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2005, 03:49:49 PM »

By the way, today is National Nachos Day.

Cillaliz

« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2005, 03:52:13 PM »

I had fabulous food at the Greek dinner and came home with 2 Greek pastries and some wonderful filo/spinach/feta cheese thing.  I also got a cookbook that the church just came out with . Can't wait to play with the recipes.

Ginny

« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2005, 03:55:02 PM »

Here's what we learned about the Amish restaurant and gift shop:

They're CLOSED ON SUNDAY!

We had a beautiful country drive out there, but ended up having dinner at Red Lobster by the Dayton Mall.  We also went to Sam's Club, where we stocked up on household necessities and some items for holiday cooking, like 2 lbs. of pecan halves (I'm thinking pie) and a big bag of Ghirardelli bittersweet chocolate chips.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2005, 03:55:03 PM »

Oh, sigh, I need to throw in another load of clothes and start on the work I brought home.  So , I better sign off for awhile and get something done....oh joy.

Ginny

« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2005, 03:58:15 PM »

TPunk has to go study psychotic and anxiety disorders.  What are we, chopped liver?  I think you can learn just as much about psychotic and anxiety disorders right here at haineshisway.com than in any book, don't you, dear readers?

Or at the public library where I work...

I've been meaning to tell you all about the woman who called the other day and asked if someone driving from Kansas City to Dayton on I-70 would go through Pennsylvania.  I was tempted to say, "Only if they're really lost."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2005, 04:44:27 PM »

I, too, finished SW:ROTS last night.  I thought it was visually and aurally superior, but I found several of the performances (especially Hayden Christensen) just pathetic, even the previously at least passable Natalie Portman.  And, forgive me for disagreeing with you BK, whereas I agree it's better than a lot of people said it was, I found the whole transition from Annakin into Darth Vader completely (or at least largely) unmotivated and unsatisfying.  DS Betsy talked about this last night and she thinks it would have been more convincing had Padme died due to perhaps some unwitting mistake of the Jedi.  That at least would have given Annakin a reason to glower.   ;D

On the other end of the spectrum:  I also finished listening to both commentaries on the 1953 War of the Worlds.  Maybe someone has mentioned this (sorry, still catching up), but I LOL'd several times during the Ann Robinson/Gene Barry commentary.  Ann just yakked, yakked, yakked.  Gene would come out of his coma about every 20 minutes or so, mumble "Who's that good looking young man?" and then fall back asleep.  The one time he attempted to respond to Robinson, she had been talking about the rubber Martian ripping and Barry mumbled, "What're you talking about, your dress?"  I just had to laugh.  Great movie though, and one that shows how to do it properly, IMHO.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 04:45:36 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2005, 04:52:10 PM »

LOL DR MATTH - Lucy is on a hunger strike to get a Jaques Marcel dress....little realizing she will soon be wearing a horseblanket and feedbag.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up