Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: HIGH GEAR  (Read 20968 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
HIGH GEAR
« on: November 06, 2005, 12:15:39 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were in high gear, you're now in high gear, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which will be quick, because they're in high gear, too.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2005, 12:18:51 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:HIGH GEAR
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 12:16:26 AM »

And the word of the day is: WASTREL!

Jennifer

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 06:32:46 AM »

Good morning everyone!

BK, I'm curious, is your corned beef on rye the same as what we call a smoked meat sandwich here?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 06:35:47 AM by Jennifer »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 06:56:56 AM »

I think the recycled airplane air and the week's intensity have caught up with me.  I'm feeling quite under the weather today, and I don't want to get out of bed.  I'm very tired, slight headache, and my head's all stopped up.

DRJose, the brunch plans are off for me!!!

Dear Friend BK, I too enjoyed STAR WARS III, and I found the film's ending,  which tied all the threads together with John Williams' music from the original film, quite moving and thrilling.

I meant to mention yesterday that the film I'm most looking forward to opens next weekend:  PRIDE AND PREJUDICE.  On another topic yesterday, I loathed FANTASIA 2000 except for the "Rhapsody in Blue" sequence which I loved.  

DRJoy, how's Noel?  Tell him he's missed.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 07:00:16 AM »

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 07:01:06 AM »

Hmmm I will have to consider the TOD today at work.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 07:15:39 AM »

DR RODZINSKI....The Jerry Lewis Cinema where I saw the infamous WICKED WICKED was a stand along building near the open air mall here in town.  It had a nice lobby with big windows and a mural on the wall featuring movie comedians including of course Jerry Lewis.  The marquee had a caricature of JL and script that said: Jerry Lewis Cinema.  

I saw GOODBYE, MR CHIPS, TORA TORA TORA, GONE WITH THE WIND, and many other movies there.  After a few years it became the Mooresville Cinema run by a different guy.  The BENJI movies were big there, since Benji's trainer is from Mooresville - and Sammy Terry always drew a crowd on Halloween night.

The only other excitement I remember is when THE EXORCIST was shown and there were several religious protesters out front with signs, and people coming out of the theatre and one girl threw up.  It was very exciting.

The building is still there, but it is part of a car dealership, I think.  If I go by there this week, I will take a photo.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 07:15:57 AM »

Off to work, back later.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2005, 07:21:52 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up.  I'm up...

Ah!... It was so nice to be able to sleep in a little bit today.  That extra bit of sleep really really helped to get rid of my "zonk-ness" from last night.  And now...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 07:27:00 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Nothing from "my generation" really seems to come to mind.  However, there have been a couple of films that have become sort of "cult classics" and guilty pleasures for various and sundried reasons...

"Eating Raoul"
"The Rocky Horror Picture Show"
"Top Gun" - Anyone ever play the Top Gun Drinking Game?  ;)
"Porky's"
"Risky Business"

Heck, I guess I could even include "A Chorus Line: The Movie" in this batch.  ;)

...And then there are those "New Classics" on AMC and TCM.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2005, 07:29:59 AM »

DR elmore - No worries.  Enjoy your first full day back home at home.  Get some rest.  My allergies also kicked in this week too - I guess Fall is finally here.  I'll be back on most Mondays, so maybe we can catch up then.  -And if you happen to come down to DC again for an LoC trip, I'd be more than happy to get you into Damn Yankees.  And I hope Dylan is doing better - or at least will be doing better soon too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2005, 07:39:39 AM »

Good morning all!

I MUST do my laundry today rather than sitting around here like a wastrel.  Of course, laundry seems like a wasted life when there are so many things to do that are more fun... and of course, I need to do some more preparations for tomorrow's auditions, but sadly the damn laundry must take precedence over ANYTHING else today.  Except eating, which is a lot of work nowadays.

So I will catch up, and then I will be out!
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2005, 07:40:50 AM »

BK, who is your casting director out there?

As of January, I will be looking for a full-time casting job, so everyone please keep your ears peeled!

Cillaliz

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2005, 07:40:50 AM »

Good morning!  It's a sunny day here, hopefully that will keep my mood a little more cheery today. I've got to put up the few remaining storm windows, get weather stripping, maybe mow the yard, do laundry and a ton of work I brought home from the office.  Plus it's the annual Greek Dinner at the Greek Orthodox Church here. They make the best food!  
Their festival in June is a kick. They have kids games like pin the snake on Medusa, toss the ring on Mount Olympus etc.  

Hmm. Not enough hours today.   So, I may not make it to a movie today after all.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2005, 07:42:24 AM »

Jose, that 70s Disco project is another one we cast, starring Ms. Juliana.  I keep trying to get everyone at the office to read her Journal.  Anyway, it's a Broadway workshop called Last Dance.  She plays "Kitten".  Ahem.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2005, 07:47:16 AM »

I feel that I must weigh in on Star Wars now:

I enjoyed I and II visually, but I felt the acting was despicable, especially in II.  Everyone in the audience was LAUGHING at scenes that were not supposed to be funny, and it was that uncomfortable "I don't want to be laughing at this" kind of laughter.  I could have done without the ENTIRE Amidala/Anakin love story, it was so poorly written and incompetently acted and misguidedly directed.  Yuck all around.  

HOWEVER, I did enjoy Sith, all of it, EXCEPT, once again, for that stupid, asinine "love" story.  I was squirming with disgust and I heard more than one audience member suck their teeth.  

"You're so beautiful."
"That's because I'm so in love with you."
"No, it's because I'm so in love with YOU."

??!??!!?!!

Awesome.  The rest of it was cool, though.  :)

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2005, 07:48:24 AM »

DR Elmore, thanks for asking:  DR Noel is just fine and wonderful.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2005, 07:49:24 AM »

DR Jose, the Top Gun drinking game?  Oh boy, I can't wait for this one.  

Has anyone ever played the Star Wars drinking game?  Or the "What's Love Got to Do With It" drinking game?

Cillaliz

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2005, 07:50:56 AM »

Has anyone ever played the Star Wars drinking game?  Or the "What's Love Got to Do With It" drinking game?

Now I feel old. The only drinking game we used to play is "Bob" from The Bob Newhart Show...the series set in Chicago, not the one in Vermont

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2005, 07:51:22 AM »

Okay, I must come clean and say that, for the record, when I was a kid I was OBSESSED with A Chorus Line, the Movie.  Then I saw A Chorus Line onstage in a touring production in Reno.  I realized even at that age that the movie had gotten it all wrong.  I still have a place in my heart for the movie, but I gotta say that they really screwed it up.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2005, 07:51:49 AM »

Jose, that 70s Disco project is another one we cast, starring Ms. Juliana.  I keep trying to get everyone at the office to read her Journal.  Anyway, it's a Broadway workshop called Last Dance.  She plays "Kitten".  Ahem.

Yep - I believe I was with Rachel for that one.  -That was a really "cool" audition - that pop-ballad for the younger woman is a great tune - and some of those singers were amazing.  And when I played that day, it was really nice seeing the director for the piece again - I used to play callbacks for him at SETCs for his theatre in Wisconsin(?) - or it is in Ohio(?).  I hope they had a good workshop.
Make Your Own Luck.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2005, 07:52:01 AM »

And now.....ick......laundry.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2005, 07:57:36 AM »

Well...  You put the nicknames of the various pilots into the proverbial hat - "Goose", "Maverick", etc.  Each person picks a name out of the hat.  Now each time that person's name is mentioned in the film, you have to take a drink.

I forget which one it is right now, but there is one character's name who gets quite a bit of mentions in the early part of the movie - and it's not Tom Cruise's "Maverick" either - making for quite an "interesting" evening early on.  -OH!  and then when you get to some of those flight and fight sequences...  Watch out!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2005, 08:06:20 AM »

Now I feel old. The only drinking game we used to play is "Bob" from The Bob Newhart Show...the series set in Chicago, not the one in Vermont

Well... "Quarters" and "Chandeliers" are still classics!

;)

My favorite, however, was the one based on that Jenga game - the one where you stack the pieces of wood into a tower, and then try to pull out a piece without toppling the tower.  On each piece of wood, there was an instruction (which were handwritten on the pieces by the host of the party): take a drink, drink your drink and the person's drink to your right, do not take a drink, pick someone else to take a drink, etc.  -And, then, of course, if you did happen to make the tower topple, then you had to drink everyone else;s drinks.  -I remember seeing a "legit" version of this in the stores a few years ago - but instead of making it a drinking game, you were given crazy things to do: scratch your neighbor's head, do an impression of your best friend, etc...

NOW...  Usually after playing "Drinking Jenga", then you would go onto "Dirty Jenga".  You had instructions like: kiss the person next to you, take off one piece of clothing, take off a piece of clothing from someone else... and various other instructions that aren't really suited for a family site.

:o

::)

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2005, 08:07:47 AM »

My previous post falls under the category of: "The Things You Do In Summer Stock".

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2005, 08:08:29 AM »

Good morning!

We have another splendid day here. There are wispy circus clouds in te sky today, but already in the mid 60s and will be climbing to the upper 70s today. Another blissful day.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2005, 08:09:31 AM »

Well, I have some packing to get done... And then brunch, sometime, somewhere...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2005, 08:11:29 AM »

I don't think it's a contest between watching BATMAN BEGINS and STAR WARS III. I enjoyed each film, the former more than the latter but both sufficiently to have bought them and will hang onto them.

Acting wise, other than Katie Holmes, I thought the acting in BATMAN BEGINS was infinitely superior to STAR WARS III.

But again, it's not a contest about which is better or more watchable. I have both and will watch both again and again over the years.

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2005, 08:13:09 AM »

Feel better vibes to DR Elmore! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2005, 08:14:31 AM »

I guess MARNIE is a film that got loads of pans originally but has emerged to be thought of highly now (but not by me). VERTIGO wasn't greatly appreciated when it was released either but is now regarded by many as Hitchcock's supreme masterpiece.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up