Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THEY CAN'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME  (Read 27834 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THEY CAN'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2007, 10:02:28 AM »

The NYMF thing is a very long story that began last February when I was contacted by a person who told me he'd read the LA Times review and heard the CD and loved it.  This person alleged that he was a "producer."  We looked him up on the Internet and found he did have something to do with two shows at NYMF last year, although I don't think it was as a producer.  But, I sent him the script, and he loved it and said he was in and wanted to be involved.  I told him right then to submit it to NYMF and he told me he would.  

Over the months I had few e-mails from him, some initiated by my queries, and a couple that emanated from him first.  His story changed a couple of times about WHEN he'd sent it to NYMF and it came to light he was in charge of merchandising for the Altar Boyz tour (read, he sold souvenirs).  I began to get a bad feeling about this yokel, and I asked Merrill Grant to send her friend at NYMF a CD and I asked elmore if he could find out anything.  But that was rather late in the game, and it was all very annoying to me.  

I called Merrill last week to see if she could find out if they'd actually ever heard the CD, even though I pretty much knew too much time had gone by.  She got an e-mail from the head of NYMF implying they hadn't, and that the timing was good as a show had just fallen out.  I overnighted them a script and CD and reviews (we all know THAT story) and got an e-mail yesterday saying that people had liked it and asking if I was prepared to say yes.

I told them that I was prepared to say yes as long as I knew the details.  I've known all along that we would have to fund the production, and we'll have to deal with that immediately if it works out.  The dates they gave me are all okay, but I'm waiting to hear which venue it is (it has to work for the show or there's no point in doing it) exactly how much we have to raise, what we have to pay the actors and musicians, etc.  As soon as I have those details, then I have to have a few conversations, then I can give them an answer.  It would be great to do it, of course.  I'm supposed to have a phoner today, and hopefully that will happen and I can get the skinny or, at the very least, the fat.  

Again, if it were to happen, there would be much work to do very quickly, including having to cast the show with mostly NY people, save for a handful of our LA folks.  And just as importantly, I'd have to find a NY musical director instantly, book the band, and most important of all, find either a general manager or a producer who will oversee everything.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2007, 10:03:38 AM »

What has Ted McGinley been blamed for in the past?  I've generally liked his performances.

ExACTly!  He has always delivered precisely what he was hired to deliver...and we often got more than that.

It's the curse of the "pretty face" that started out in a TV show (in McGinley's case, he was the photographer on "The Love Boat" when his star began to climb).

He was dead-on terrific in "Married With Kids" as the bimbo husband of a banker (played by Amanda Bearse), Al Bundy's next-door neighbor.

McGinley was terrific as the football captain jock asshole in "Revenge of the Nerds".

McGinley is a solid performer in all respects.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2007, 10:06:19 AM »

Hmm... I did have some oatmeal earlier

Did you wash the bowl?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2007, 10:12:09 AM »

ExACTly!  He has always delivered precisely what he was hired to deliver...and we often got more than that.

It's the curse of the "pretty face" that started out in a TV show (in McGinley's case, he was the photographer on "The Love Boat" when his star began to climb).

He was dead-on terrific in "Married With Kids" as the bimbo husband of a banker (played by Amanda Bearse), Al Bundy's next-door neighbor.

McGinley was terrific as the football captain jock asshole in "Revenge of the Nerds".

McGinley is a solid performer in all respects.

I totally agee, Ron, I said that he was unfairly blamed.  Everytime you see his name in a project, the doomsayers start proclaiming the death of that particular show.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2007, 10:14:39 AM »

I've been up since 7:45 a.m.  I had a light breakfast (banana), drove to my office to pick up my Deep Discount package that arrived yesterday, drove to a car wash and got "The Works" (everything inside and out except air freshener), went to one of my favorite neighborhood markets (Piedmont Grocery), and now I'm home and in shorts and enjoying the fruits of my labors from yesterday.

I worked my butt off yesterday, moving stuff out onto the balcony and rearranging furniture so I could steam clean my carpet.  It was an evolution of several hours, but I finally finished most of it (one section that I used to avoid all the other sections remains to be done, along with my bedroom).  As the carpet was drying out, I transferred 85% of my DVD collection of TV shows into an aluminum storage case.  To wit:  I removed said DVDs from their keep cases and put them into protective sleeves.  I removed liner art that was removable and will save it.

One of the drawbacks to TV series on DVD, however, is that you get special packaging that unfolds and reveals two DVDs per section...it's all cardboard and plastic.  Some of the packaging includes detailed information on each episode...and it's always part of the folded-out package.  The dilemma:  To save or to toss out.  

The point of doing all this is to "save space"...to rid myself of space-consuming packaging.  Some of the DVDs are in packaging so splendid I cannot fathom throwing it out.  The other side of the dilemma is that if I ever wish to re-sell any of these -- or should my
"heirs" wish to do so -- there will be no original packaging to make the value significant (if, in fact, it would be).

I can, of course, save it all and put it in storage.  My DVDs will be with me...and all the re-sale material would be available should I need it.

Sigh.

I kept my DVD player going all afternoon....several emotional episodes of "Ghost Whisperer" from season 1, and an episode of "Touching Evil" that added some cool, detached mystery to the atmosphere.

Last night was, sadly, the series finale of "Stargate: SG-1".  The writers did not disappoint me.  It was a very nice, fitting ending to the TV series (and left the door open to possibilities for specials in the future...or...MOVIES).

And last night was the season finale to "Stargate: Atlantis"....and the season's opening promise was, after many unrelated episodes, fulfilled as the Stargate team found itself in a position to perish or to engage the city's star drive and head for the open universe.

Magical stuff, that.

I'm going to relish today.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2007, 10:21:04 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][shadow=color,glow width,#characters wide][size=8]  Best wishes, BK, for smooth sailing with NYMF! [/size][/shadow][/move]
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 10:21:57 AM by Ron Pulliam »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2007, 10:27:03 AM »

Last night was, sadly, the series finale of "Stargate: SG-1".  The writers did not disappoint me.  It was a very nice, fitting ending to the TV series (and left the door open to possibilities for specials in the future...or...MOVIES).

I read, this week, that there are already two STARGATE: SG-1 films in the works.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2007, 10:34:36 AM »

I echo Ron....

BEst wishes for smooth sailing for Bk at NYMF!! Good luck vibes!!  WE at HHW are all pulling for you and the company...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2007, 12:07:55 PM »

I also like - and have had good results - with Boiron's Sinusalia and their Allergy remedy too.

Does our Boiron Pulliam have any favorite remedies he'd like to offer? Right now, the best remedy seems to be cutting my own head off.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #99 on: June 23, 2007, 12:10:42 PM »

Best of luck on the NYMF, bk!!

Be forewarned that if it comes to pass, we will all be there with kurtas on!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2007, 12:34:41 PM »

Larry - Just for future reference, the NYMF website doss clearly state what costs NYMF covers and what it doesn't cover.  Scroll down to the second of the "Frequently Asked Questions" at this link.

http://www.nymf.org/Page-101.html

I'm not knocking them, I just think it's sort of a rude surprise to say to writers, "We want to have your show in our festival so go rainse $15,000 or whatever.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2007, 12:42:19 PM »

Well, I guess I can say that we've been asked and it's ours if we want it.  I'm now trying to figure out the money end of it, and if it's feasable, we'll do it, as I think we'd get a LOT of publicity and a LOT of people to see it.  

NYMF and the Fringe and this New Musicals Festival they're doing next year in LA are fascinating in that the shows themselves pay for everything (in LA, the venues pay) - in other words the people running the festival have nothing to lose.  Anyway, it would, most likely, be a good thing.  I'm told that we'd be in one of two theaters - and they're two of the larger venues - the Acorn or the Julia Miles, but the Acorn sounds better for us, so I'd sort of press for that.  I have to make the final decision Monday morning.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2007, 12:45:42 PM »

The NYMF thing is a very long story that began last February when I was contacted by a person who told me he'd read the LA Times review and heard the CD and loved it.  This person alleged that he was a "producer."  We looked him up on the Internet and found he did have something to do with two shows at NYMF last year, although I don't think it was as a producer.  But, I sent him the script, and he loved it and said he was in and wanted to be involved.  I told him right then to submit it to NYMF and he told me he would.  

Over the months I had few e-mails from him, some initiated by my queries, and a couple that emanated from him first.  His story changed a couple of times about WHEN he'd sent it to NYMF and it came to light he was in charge of merchandising for the Altar Boyz tour (read, he sold souvenirs).  I began to get a bad feeling about this yokel, and I asked Merrill Grant to send her friend at NYMF a CD and I asked elmore if he could find out anything.  But that was rather late in the game, and it was all very annoying to me.  

I called Merrill last week to see if she could find out if they'd actually ever heard the CD, even though I pretty much knew too much time had gone by.  She got an e-mail from the head of NYMF implying they hadn't, and that the timing was good as a show had just fallen out.  I overnighted them a script and CD and reviews (we all know THAT story) and got an e-mail yesterday saying that people had liked it and asking if I was prepared to say yes.

I told them that I was prepared to say yes as long as I knew the details.  I've known all along that we would have to fund the production, and we'll have to deal with that immediately if it works out.  The dates they gave me are all okay, but I'm waiting to hear which venue it is (it has to work for the show or there's no point in doing it) exactly how much we have to raise, what we have to pay the actors and musicians, etc.  As soon as I have those details, then I have to have a few conversations, then I can give them an answer.  It would be great to do it, of course.  I'm supposed to have a phoner today, and hopefully that will happen and I can get the skinny or, at the very least, the fat.  

Again, if it were to happen, there would be much work to do very quickly, including having to cast the show with mostly NY people, save for a handful of our LA folks.  And just as importantly, I'd have to find a NY musical director instantly, book the band, and most important of all, find either a general manager or a producer who will oversee everything.

BK, I have a bit of advice about the band: don't go higher than three players unless they can guarantee a space to hold at least 4. The venues are all over the map, scenic requrements have to be very light and portable to accommodate other shows, and both things I did last year were in spaces that accommodated three players awkwardly.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2007, 12:53:10 PM »

From what I was told, the theater we'd probably end up in is one of the larger venues, and the dimensions, I think, would work for all five pieces.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2007, 12:56:17 PM »

From what I was told, the theater we'd probably end up in is one of the larger venues, and the dimensions, I think, would work for all five pieces.

I'd be happier with that, but fitting in a piano, percussion and cello at 37th Street for NIGHT OF THE HUNTER was tight, and the church on 45th(?) for THE SINGING NUN was awkward for piano, synth and drums.

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2007, 01:24:26 PM »

It would be great if you could have the band unit built, maybe a portable one?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 01:25:16 PM by Adriana Patti »
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2007, 01:34:26 PM »

I want a jelly doughnut.

I just thought I should share.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: June 23, 2007, 02:01:53 PM »

We're STILL on page four?  Puh-leeze.  The errant and truant will RUE the day, that's all I've gotta say.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #108 on: June 23, 2007, 02:13:27 PM »

It has been said "unfairly" that every time Ted is cast in a comedy series it is either cancelled or begins a downward spiral.  I have always enjoyed watching him, and just plain looking at him.

Absolutely UNFAIRLY spoken about him. Yes, he's been on some bombs, but they were poor in spite of him, not because of him.

And his last series, HOPE & FAITH, ran four years.

It's a facile, snide comment made by snide people, and it really makes me angry to tag ANY performer that way.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

« Reply #109 on: June 23, 2007, 02:15:23 PM »

Slow news day here!

Matt H.

« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2007, 02:19:35 PM »

I finished watching BILLY WILDER SPEAKS this afternoon. It's really clear that he loved Jack Lemmon, as a person and enjoyed working with him. And he made it clear he had good working relationships with people whose politics he was polar opposite from (Jimmy Stewart, Jimmy Cagney). And he never crowed about even his biggest successes.

I wish he had talked about films like THE PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES and similar unsuccessful ventures that were nevertheless fascinating experiments. There were a couple of stills from ACE IN THE HOLE but that was basically the only flop that got mentioned. Everything else was about many of his big hits.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2007, 02:21:33 PM »

Next, I started watching Thursday night's STUDIO 60. Another affecting episode, though I didn't quite get to the end of it. What a shame that Sorkin finally got the right tone and focus for the series right at the end of the contracted 13 episodes. The show really could have built into something truly good. Now, it'll just go down as a lost cause.

Matt H.

« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2007, 02:22:33 PM »

When I go back down, I'll watch DAYLIGHT and then will probably watch the last of the NANCY DREW films (HIDDEN STAIRCASE).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2007, 02:25:37 PM »

Will we never get to page five?  I can't believe I'm saying page five at two-thirty my time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2007, 02:25:57 PM »

I mean, people just go off and have LIVES?  What's up with that?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2007, 02:26:15 PM »

I will single-handedly take us to page five.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2007, 02:27:33 PM »

We don't even have any fershluganah GUESTS.  You'd think it was a Saturday on a holiday weekend, but while it IS a Saturday, it ain't a holiday weekend, so people are just being lazy old buttcheeks, posting-wise.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2007, 02:27:43 PM »

I gotta tell you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2007, 02:28:02 PM »

Perhaps if I post an Unseemly Trivia Contest question...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2007, 02:28:20 PM »

But, why should I go to the effort when others aren't?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up