Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: I, THE JUDGE  (Read 38269 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:I, THE JUDGE
« Reply #330 on: December 19, 2007, 04:13:35 PM »

I want "Our Miss Brooks" with Eve Arden on DVD.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #331 on: December 19, 2007, 04:16:26 PM »

During our visit to Greenville SC, we visited several addresses where we lived.

In 1957, we moved from Johnston to Greenville.  This house was the one we moved into.  My mom says the rent was $60/month.  It looks exactly as it did then (save for the enclosed side porch...right side of house).  This neighborhood has been declared an historic district (sure...NOW it's historic).  Amazingly, it looks virtually the way I remember it from when I was 9 and 10 years old.  

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

td

• td
« Reply #332 on: December 19, 2007, 04:16:39 PM »

I have been listening to the new Sweeney soundtrack.  [And yes, in this case, is IS a soundtrack!  ;) ].  I am undecided.  I guess I need more information - I'll need the visuals to go with the vocals to see how I feel about them.

I'm finding it quite dark, foreboding and, above all: melancholic.
I, too, want the visuals very much, but there are some truly brilliant moments from the waifish-voiced Helena Bonham-Carter, which thrill me to no end.
Depp is what I expected him to be.
"Not While I'm Around" is tear-inducing, it's so o o o o beautiful.
The orchestra is astounding!  Those PSYCHO violins on the Opening Title!  
The only trained vocalist is the Beggar Woman, to my surprise.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #333 on: December 19, 2007, 04:20:39 PM »

Oh, DR Ron - I'm listening to my SWEENEY TODD soundtrack on my ITunes; I don't own an IPod, but I love using ITunes for catalogueing my music, and for computer listening.
As stated earlier, it's a free progam; you DON'T HAVE TO buy music, though it's an option.
http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #334 on: December 19, 2007, 04:23:35 PM »

Nice house....was there ever a BIG tree in the front yard?

I got my SWEENEY TODD cd today....I will listen to it later this evening.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #335 on: December 19, 2007, 04:23:38 PM »

Page T W E L V E  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #336 on: December 19, 2007, 04:24:16 PM »

Oh, DR Ron - I'm listening to my SWEENEY TODD soundtrack on my ITunes; I don't own an IPod, but I love using ITunes for catalogueing my music, and for computer listening.
As stated earlier, it's a free progam; you DON'T HAVE TO buy music, though it's an option.
http://www.apple.com/itunes/

Thanks for the information.  I'll check it out!

Tomovoz

« Reply #337 on: December 19, 2007, 04:24:43 PM »

I hope DR Ron has checked on the Hobbit news.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #338 on: December 19, 2007, 04:25:11 PM »

Nice house....was there ever a BIG tree in the front yard?

No...no big tree in front yard.  It had a couple of really nice plum trees in back, though!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #339 on: December 19, 2007, 04:25:49 PM »

I hope DR Ron has checked on the Hobbit news.

Oh, yes.  I've been reading up on all I could find.  I just wish I knew who will be directing it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #340 on: December 19, 2007, 04:41:07 PM »

I guess Jackson has not ruled himself out of the job.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #341 on: December 19, 2007, 04:56:42 PM »

I guess Jackson has not ruled himself out of the job.

Yes, but all I've seen mention that is guaranteed is that he will produce it (them).  That's nothing to sneeze at, of course.  But he demonstrated such a facility for Tolkien that I don't think picking another director is the best thing for "us".

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #342 on: December 19, 2007, 04:57:36 PM »

DR JMK - Studio One was a CBS Television Production....as was the later Twilight Zone, and I know TZ was produced on the MGM lot.  There don't seem to be any overlapping Art Director credits for Studio/UNCLE - but maybe it was a stock set that they brought out for various television episodes.

UNCLE was an NBC show, but an MGM production.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:00:37 PM by JRand57 »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #343 on: December 19, 2007, 04:58:32 PM »

Well, I've transferred all the music from my Shuffle to my traveldrive.  But now I see that I must download iTunes (free) in order to use the service.

That will have to wait until I get back to Oakland as I won't download it on my mom's computer.

Oh, well.  I can listen to the music (via computer) from my travel drive if I want.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #344 on: December 19, 2007, 04:59:36 PM »

I guess it's time to call it a night, computer-wise.  I haven't a clue what's on prime-time, but will soon find out!

G'night.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #345 on: December 19, 2007, 05:01:10 PM »

I share that with DR Vixmom/Vixmum.

Et moi aussi!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #346 on: December 19, 2007, 05:01:40 PM »

It's back to Middle Earth for Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, and the boys from New Line. Finally, the years of disputes have ended, and the partners (including co-producer and co-distributor MGM) are gearing up for two new Hobbit movies. EW investigated, talking to the parties behind the negotiations to uncover how everything got resolved, and to get an idea of what viewers can expect of these adaptations of J.R.R. Tolkien's original literary masterpiece. Here's the lowdown:

Jackson and his life/creative partner Walsh have always envisioned the big-screen adaptation of The Hobbit as two movies. The first would deal with the 80-year old novel. The second, imagined entirely by Jackson and Walsh, would link the conclusion of The Hobbit to the start of the first Lord of the Rings book, The Fellowship of the Ring. New Line and Jackson will develop the properties over the next year with hopes of entering into pre-production by 2009 for a 2010 and 2011 release. No writers, including Jackson, Walsh, and their longtime partner Philippa Boyens, have been commissioned. (None can be, because of the strike.)

New Line has already decided that both films will be produced at the same time, in similar fashion to how the LOTR trilogy was put together, and no budgets have been assigned the films yet. According to New Line's co-chair Robert Shaye, "You can't budget an idea."

While MGM and New Line want to keep Jackson's involvement in the film as broad as possible, hinting that he may take up both writing and directing responsibilities, Jackson's manager Ken Kamins told Hollywood Insider that Jackson won't be directing the films. "Peter won't be directing because he felt the fans have waited long enough for The Hobbit. It will take the better part of every day of the next four years to write, direct and produce two Hobbit films. Given his current obligations to both The Lovely Bones and Tintin, waiting for Peter, Fran, and Phillippa to write, direct and produce The Hobbit would require the fans wait even longer."

Directors Sam Raimi (Spider-Man), Guillermo del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth), and Alfonso Cuaron (Children of Men) are still the names that come up as alternate possiblities, but no official creative decision has been made.

"There is obviously a small but significant number of directors who could handle two films of this magnitude, but we have no commitment to anybody," Shaye said. "Now that Peter is an integral part of the decision-making process, we all have to see eye-to-eye on any candidate we try to enlist."

Those creative pow-wows are set to begin in early 2008 when New Line plans to sit down with Jackson to hash out critical details. (Jackson will be filming The Lovely Bones through February.)

Neither Jackson’s rep nor New Line will explain how the nasty battle between the two parties got resolved. The fight hit a low point in November 2006 when New Line actually "fired" Jackson from The Hobbit and Jackson took the battle to the LOTR fansite TheOneRing.net, where he posted, “New Line would no longer be requiring our services on The Hobbit.” New Line’s Shaye now calls it, “a misunderstanding that wound up becoming a mini-war.” The two parties began negotiating this June, but it seems MGM’s Harry Sloan served a significant role as a mediator between the two sides.

According to New Line's co-chair Michael Lynne, "Harry served in a mediating function and at a certain sensitive moment he was very helpful." The New Line co-chairs do attest that once Sloan got involved, the studio was already well down the path of negotiating with Jackson. But Jackson's rep Kamins adds, "Harry, acting in the appropriate self-interest for MGM, used the fact that he owned a piece of the rights to be helpful to both sides in this conversation. I really credit Harry greatly."

Shaye and company regret how acrimonious things became with Jackson. (In January, Shaye told Sci-Fi Wire website, "I don't care about Peter Jackson anymore. He thinks we owe him something after we've paid him over a quarter of a billion dollars!";)

"From my side, I just regret that it happened," said Shaye. "It was a total misunderstanding about what anybody had to gain or lose. I'm extremely glad that the bad blood was just a little infection and not
really a disabling malady."

New Line is quick to point out that The Hobbit resolution is in no way a reaction to disappointing domestic box office numbers for their most recent release, The Golden Compass, which they had hoped would launch a new franchise. "Absolutely not," said Lynne. "This has been in the works for a while now. Golden Compass, by the way, overseas, is performing spectacularly. Obviously, we have been disappointed with its performance here, but I think overall it will do quite well."

Regardless of Compass' performance, the studio now has a new, sure-fire hit to get underway. And even though the lawsuits are settled and the fences are mended, there are still numerous hurdles between this announcement and fans sitting in the theater watching Bilbo Baggins help 13 dwarves reclaim their treasure. First, there is the nasty writer's strike that trudges on; and second, the project's visionary writer/director/producer has a lot of other projects on his plate. Surely, though, this triumph deserves a little celebration. Will Jackson be planning a bender back in New Zealand?

According to Kamins, not even close. "I haven't even talked to Peter," he said, laughing. "He just got home from Pennsylvania, (where Lovely Bones is filming) last night."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #347 on: December 19, 2007, 05:02:18 PM »

I thought they already made a Hobbit movie.

Oy! They did.  It was animated.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #348 on: December 19, 2007, 05:07:30 PM »

I like Ray Walston in both SOUTH PACIFIC and DAMN YANKEES.

I'm not listening to the SWEENEY TODD soundtrack, which arrived today, until after I see the film.

I'm back from a wonderful Italian meal with DR Jose: we shared some wonderful appetizer with Italian sausage and beans, I had lasagna and DR Jose had gnocchi.  For dessert we both had a spectacular combo of pear marinated in red wine with a gorgonzola(?) mousse.  I am now the happy owner of the Letters of Noel Coward. Thank you, DR Jose!

Tomovoz

« Reply #349 on: December 19, 2007, 05:08:36 PM »

Thanks td.  
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #350 on: December 19, 2007, 05:15:23 PM »

Oh no...
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #351 on: December 19, 2007, 05:15:45 PM »

And with this post (below), Ron passes me to become the fifth highest poster on HHW!! :'(

;)

« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:16:50 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #352 on: December 19, 2007, 05:16:09 PM »

In other doctor news,   He gave me a new medication (new to me) which he said was an improvement on even Prilosdec or Nexium.  It is called Protonix, and I take one a day, one half hour before my first meal of the day.  He said that coffee doesn't count as a meal, and in order to make this stuff work requires actual food in your stomach.

I took my first one of these pills yesterday, and I can already feel a big improvement.  After several days of healing the doctor said I shlould be able to start taking the aniti-inflammatory  along with this medication

I could not tolerate Prilosec.  I have been taking Protonix several years now.  Remember I could not tolerate the anti-inflammatory meds?  Be careful.  I was never given such detailed directions on the Protonix, interesting.  

Jeanne is an expert on enzymes, I take one (an expensive prescription) whenever I eat.  It really helps.

GET HEALTHY VIBES!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #353 on: December 19, 2007, 05:16:21 PM »

Aphid Underpants.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #354 on: December 19, 2007, 05:36:22 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Interview Vibes To Bryan! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[/move]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 05:36:45 PM by elmore3003 »

td

• td
« Reply #355 on: December 19, 2007, 05:39:27 PM »

Aphid Underpants.

Promises, promises!

Jane

« Reply #356 on: December 19, 2007, 05:52:01 PM »

Welcome KayeKid!!![/size][/b]

Do you have any pets?

Jane

« Reply #357 on: December 19, 2007, 05:52:35 PM »

Welcome SY!-?

Jane

« Reply #358 on: December 19, 2007, 05:53:26 PM »

I was sorry to read that The Drowsy Chaperone will be closing 12/30.  Did Cindy Williams ever get to go into the show?

I'm sorry I missed my chance to see it.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #359 on: December 19, 2007, 05:57:09 PM »

Off to my cousin's winter band concert!
http://www.miracostaband.com/
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.