Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: MY NOCTURNAL WANDERINGS  (Read 35299 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:MY NOCTURNAL WANDERINGS
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2007, 08:06:11 AM »

And I meant to add that I have no interest in watching either section of GRINDHOUSE. Just not my cup of tea at all.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

singdaw

« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2007, 08:09:02 AM »

Every single post must be celebrated as though it may be the last.

Look at you - being deep and profound!    8)

[a Brain reference - I've just been dying for an opportunity to use it! :)]

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2007, 08:09:46 AM »

Page Five Hagrid and Madame Maxime Dance!!!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2007, 08:10:26 AM »

And COMGRATULATIONS to YOU on your 6,850th MILESTONE POST!

Wow, singdaw has surpassed me?

I think singdaw's the postingest member ever! (In case you wondered, it's a compliment, kind of like "ginchiest"!)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2007, 08:10:29 AM »

Off to get cleaned up for my lunch out with best friend John.

WBBL.

Edisaurus

« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2007, 08:14:51 AM »

The closest thing we had to a movie palace in Charlotte was the Carolina Theater which was the Cinerama theater here. I've written about it often. I saw many, many roadshow classics in that theater growing up in addition to the Cinerama offerings.

They have a small movie palace in Durham, also called The Carolina. I have a fondness for it because of all the great films I've seen there at the Full Frame festival. It's where all the big films (and ours) show.

The city approved a huge convention center and hotel built next to it. It looks like they chose to protect it and incorporate it into the complex, and did a very nice job of it. Good for them, and too bad more towns aren't as forward thinking.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

MBarnum

« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2007, 08:15:42 AM »

Here is a veiw of the theater from the other direction (and from 1925).

singdaw

« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2007, 08:17:01 AM »

I think singdaw's the postingest member ever!

It just means I don't have a life.    :P

And if my blathering on annoys anyone, just tell me to tone it down.  I won't be offended!    :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2007, 08:17:54 AM »

It just means I don't have a life.    :P

And if my blathering on annoys anyone, just tell me to tone it down.  I won't be offended!    :)

Just so long as it doesn't slow you down....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2007, 08:18:35 AM »

And the inside of the Craterian. I think as a kid I didn't realize how beautiful it was.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 08:19:14 AM by MBarnum »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2007, 08:18:38 AM »

It's Tuesday here in Oakland CA.  What day is it where YOU are?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2007, 08:20:29 AM »

The only true movie palace I ever went to regularly was Radio City Music Hall which was a must on every trip to New York through the mid-70s. After they stopped showing movies with a stage show, I lost interest in going there and haven't been there in years, aactually decades.
I was there for The Sword in the Stone (I think that was the movie) back in 1977 followed by the Easter Rockettes show

Miss Karen

« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2007, 08:20:53 AM »

DR Jose is the DEVIL!  I mean, Cookie Monster!  I mean, Enabler!  I mean, Temptress!

MBarnum

« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2007, 08:20:56 AM »

The other theater, The Holly, over on 6th Street.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 08:21:53 AM by MBarnum »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2007, 08:22:02 AM »

I don't remember the names of the SLC theaters I went to as a child, but I still remember the John Danz in lovely Bellevue, Washington, which was my regular weekend hangout in my youth.  We also saw several movies at the Paramount in Seattle.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Miss Karen

« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2007, 08:22:24 AM »

But to know him is to love him.  I need to find a I *Heart* Jose t-shirt!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2007, 08:22:42 AM »

DR Kerry will have to tell ya'll about the Cine Capri, which was probably our movie palace. That and the Orpheum (which I never went to as a movie place.)

The Cine Capri was torn down to make room for another strip mall or another tall building; the Orpheum was saved and restored, and I've been there several times. I saw MusicGuy perform there once.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2007, 08:23:26 AM »

The "Mickey and Judy" box is supposed to be available as of TODAY!

I had an Amazon pre-order going back to July...the first time I saw they had it listed.

Last night, I visited the site, checked my account and was expecting to see that my copy was being prepared for shipping.

Instead, I was still able to cancel the order.

Been there before, I have.  And I feared that this ONE BOX I've wanted FOR YEARS wouldn't be shipped today or tomorrow...nay, might not BE shipped until, as I've done on a few selected (i.e., MUCH-WANTED) pre-orders, I screamed bloody murder when I discover they're offering it for delivery "tomorrow" if someone orders it in the next 5 hours under "one-day service."

So, I cancelled the order.  That's right.  CANCELLED IT.

For my reason, I selected "Did not ship fast enough."

Under comments, I wrote "This is a pre-selected item from last July and it should NOT have been possible to cancel as it should have SHIPPED YESTERDAY.  I choose to cancel and then reorder.  MAYBE I'll get it this week."

I then reordered it for one-day delivery.   It still hasn't shipped to my knowledge, but they need to get on the stick.  I want it NOW!

Cillaliz

« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2007, 08:24:24 AM »

We only had The Grand in Estherville, Iowa.   It wasn't really a palace, however back when it was built it was a theater for touring vaudville type shows, so it had a real stage. We used to love to go into the balcony, it was the best when we snuck up there and it was closed.   By the time I went there, it was a little run down. People talked about trying to save it, but alas it was demolished a number of years ago.

Cillaliz

« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2007, 08:25:10 AM »

DR Ben, I seem to remember hearing a feature on NPR about movie palaces and they discussed one in Minneapolis.

Miss Karen

« Reply #140 on: September 25, 2007, 08:29:49 AM »

DR Laura ~ That one photo of the ceiling of that tunnel that Cason posted yesterday was for you -- we thought you'd appreciate the tile work -- there was no carpet under that bridge/tunnel so hence no photo of the flooring ....

singdaw

« Reply #141 on: September 25, 2007, 08:30:06 AM »

DR Jose is the DEVIL!  I mean, Cookie Monster!  I mean, Enabler!  I mean, Temptress!

;D

Looking forward to hearing your reaction to some of the things he plied you with!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #142 on: September 25, 2007, 08:30:15 AM »

Look out, NYC! MusicGuy is on his way!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Miss Karen

« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2007, 08:31:33 AM »

I will do a full report on my first day in the Big Apple, plus a matinee review of The Brain, later. Gotta get ready to go do my Brainiac thing!

Cillaliz

« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2007, 08:31:47 AM »

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14661020

This link goes to NPR's story on The Angel of Ahlem, they are broadcasting the interview in connection with THE WAR being on PBS.   Vernon Tott was from Sioux City, he was among the liberators of the Ahlem concentration camp and took photos that sat in a box in his basement for 50 years until he was contacted via an army newsletter.  He had the only photos that exist of Ahlem.

He then made it his mission to locate as many of the individuals from the photos as possible.  He did this with a couple of the survivors.  They made a doc of it called The Angel of Ahlem that premiered here last Spring.  Several of the survivors were here and it was fascinating.   Vernon died in 2005

Edisaurus

« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2007, 08:32:10 AM »

The movie palace I have the happiest memories of is The Paramount in Charlottesvile, VA.

I've gone to C'Ville several times over the past decade and was always saddened to see how hard the locals were struggling to raise the money and preserve it. I corresponded with the group that was working on it, sent them some cash, but I really felt like it was a goner.

So the TOD caused me to check up on it again, and lo and behold it's up and running! I am thrilled and will probably look for an excuse to go there soon.

This is where I saw many films that are discussed on this board, when I was in junior high school. And in the summers, we had "Milady's Movie Matinee" for the non-working wives and mothers. They showed films like SWEET NOVEMBER, PENELOPE, INSIDE DAISY CLOVER and other 60's era chick flicks and gave away prizes by local merchants.

I also didn't realize how beautiful it was inside. But I did notice that they had "love seats" in the back row so people who wanted to cuddle wouldn't block the view of the person behind them. As teenager, I was intrigued by that idea and hoped to have that experience myself, but we moved when I was in 9th grade.

Another reason to go back...and now I have someone to cuddle with!

singdaw

« Reply #146 on: September 25, 2007, 08:32:40 AM »

I then reordered it for one-day delivery.   It still hasn't shipped to my knowledge, but they need to get on the stick.  I want it NOW!

DR Ron Pulliam, you have my condolences.  I pre-ordered from Amazon just several weeks ago.  Mine is scheduled for delivery Thursday, but I have Amazon Prime.

It is frustrating, their inconsistency.  You may not feel it's worth it, cost-wise,  to upgrade to Prime, but I have found it much more consistent and very satisfactory.

Kerry

« Reply #147 on: September 25, 2007, 08:33:45 AM »

Good Morning, all!   Break a leg today, Bruce.  All of you.

My three favorite theatres as a kid were the Fox, the Paramount and the Palms.  The Fox was very plain on the outside but an art deco wonder inside.  It had a rather faded glory to it by then, but while the other kids were watching the 3 Stooges during Saturday matinees, I was wandering around the theatre looking at all the gazelles and frozen fountains sunrays and lightning bolts.   It had a wonderful floating staircase in the lobby that made anyone feel regal to descend it.  It looked as if Fred and Ginger should be dancing on it.   The Fox is alas, now gone.  

The Paramount has been restored and is typical Spanish/Moorish design.  Not spectacular like the Fox.  BUT it did have moving clouds on the ceiling and lush red velvet drapes.  It was originally called the Orpheum, and the name has been restored to it as well.  It was the Orpheum, then the Paramount, then Nederlander bought it and brought in some big name tours in the 60's and 70's.  It then went dark,  then showed Mexican movies and then closed.  I'm glad it was saved (Musicguy oversaw the reinstallation of the pipe organ), but they should have saved the Fox instead.

The Palms was more mid-town and was built in the late 40's or early 50's.  Very moderne and minimalist, but I liked it.  I saw so many great movies there (which is probably why I have such fondness for it).  It managed to get most of the A list movies, and I was in heaven.

We also ended up at the Kachina which was a Cinerama theatre (How the West Was Won,  etc.)  It may have just been an extended screen  rather than true Cinerama, but it was good enough for me.  It was a three fold screen (like those backing boards for science fair projects) rather than curved, so it was always fun to watch the distortion.

There was another wide screen theatre, the Bethany West.  But that was mainly good for rolling down the ailses as a little kid.   It had no personality or particular design (even the Kachina had its ugly southwest motifs), but I saw some great movies there too.
I like boat races.

Edisaurus

« Reply #148 on: September 25, 2007, 08:37:28 AM »

DR Kerry will have to tell ya'll about the Cine Capri

What kind of shoes do you wear there?

Ben

« Reply #149 on: September 25, 2007, 08:40:12 AM »

There were two large movie theatres in Minneapolis but I never considered them "palaces" the way Radio City Music Hall is a "palace" and some of the other grand sites like the Roxy and The Fox. When I saw movies in the State and the Orpheum they were rather ordinary. I know now that since I've left Mpls both theatres have been renovated and returned (somewhat) to their former glory. Both theatres were stops in the 40s, 50s and early 60s for Broadway road shows. By the time I began seeing theatre Minneapolis had fallen off the road tour circuit but then in the mid-70s it seems, things began to change and shows began to filter back to the city. I don't remember seeing great movies in great movies palaces. I saw them in ordinary or nice places but no palaces for this poor, deprived child  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up