Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LIFE IS A CABARET  (Read 21372 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: LIFE IS A CABARET
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2009, 03:50:28 PM »

Tomorrow I need to hit the NYPL Theatre Collection to look for a photo of the gospel quartet in the 1947 FINIAN'S RAINBOW; the "music critic" on Castrecl insists ithe senator's change to a black man was offensive blackface and I'm curious to know what they did originally. Whatever it was had to be fast because the transformation time is about as long as Ella's transformation to Passionella in THE APPLE TREE and that's very fast!!!.  Wouldn't it be fascinating if nothing were done and it was just assumed it had happened?

As for the Passionella change, one of the tidbits I learned during my high school drama club's trip to NYC: Using water-based makeup on top of oil-based makeup contributed to the speed of her transformation.  They had one person wipe her face with a damp rag, while someone - or someones - else took care of the costume change.

As for Finian's Rainbow... I know I've seen pictures of the senator in blackface, or at least black makeup.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2009, 04:05:37 PM »

I've been pre-labeling boxes most of the day - and my new shipment of boxes is "on the truck for delivery" - well, a little late in the day for UPS to hit my UPS store, which means they screwed up yet again, which means I'll be lucky to get them tomorrow.

Ginny

« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2009, 04:07:58 PM »

Wireless greetings from Java Johnny's!  Richard and I are about to have sandwiches and coffee.

Check your email for some dinner music.

Lovely - thanks!  Who's singing?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2009, 04:14:13 PM »

Health vibes for DR JMK. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2009, 04:19:34 PM »

IDOL goes over till 9:20pm.

After there is this new Osbourne variety show on Fox after. They were showing a clip this morning.

They showed the weirdest thing. I guess they will do pranks on their audience. Anyhow they take this 20something cute guy and 20something cute girl and ask them if they will kiss for money.

When they agree (not sure how much it was fore), they blindfold them and tell them to win the $$ they must kiss/make-out for 20 seconds.

The catch is that after they are blindfolded they switch the 20 something cute girl for an 80 year old woman. So the young guy starts to make-out with her.  It was so awkward looking (the clip ended). I doubt i'll watch this. But i'm curious what happens when he takes off his blindfold!

Jennifer

« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2009, 04:19:57 PM »

DR MattH i also like Sylar on HEROES!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2009, 04:26:16 PM »

[size=18t]And from JoseSPiano « Reply #234 on: Monday 03/30/09 22:03:53 »[/size]
The Train Station Is Alive With The Sound Of Music

*Be sure to keep watching for the remix section!

Where do you find these things?  And if you check out the related videos, there is a "The Making Of".  This is the way Penn Station should be.  Oh, yes!  200 dancers, according to the documentary.

Actually I was at the Antwerp Station, which is right next to the Zoo, curiously, in 1976.  [I was teaching math courses in Esperanto during the summer session of the Free University of Antwerp.]

I don't recall this happening.

Back in 1973, I was managing a shoe store in the Tacoma Mall.  One rather slow weekday, I came up with this great idea to do basically the same thing as that video, only using the Quintet from WEST SIDE STORY.  I was going to do it on a Saturday with all the people dressed as regular shoppers.  Sadly, in those days, Mall managements did have much of a sense of humor, so the idea died.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:52:30 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2009, 04:31:54 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

TO DD AND DR ANN!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2009, 04:34:11 PM »

I saw a Saturday matinee of THE PIRATES OF PENZANCE at the then Uris Theater.
The show did not start on time, and the only announcements being made were that the show would begin shortly.
There was a lot of fussing around in the orchestra pit for about twenty minutes.
The show began at 2:30pm with an announcement that Rex Smith would NOT be appearing as Frederick, nor would his understudy, but would be played by a certain young man whose name I cannot recall.
This Frederick was phenomenal!  Seriously, he kept up with Kevin Kline, Estelle Parsons, Karla DeVito and George Rose more than adequately.
When the curtains calls were done, George Rose came to the footlights and demanded another round of applause for this Frederick, the audience responded with a well-deserved standing ovation when Rose told the story of how this Frederick came to be on the stage that day.
Rose related that no one could find Mr. Smith - yep, George Rose actually dissed his co-star from the stage - and that Smith's understudy was on in another show that afternoon, or was otherwise unavailable and that the young man who we saw playing Frederick was actually a member of the orchestra, making his Broadway stage debut with that particular performance.  Rose's speech brought down the house.

Hmmmm, perhaps Mr. Rose had tutored the young man!
“One thing’s universal,

Jennifer

« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2009, 04:36:15 PM »

I never commented on last night's DWTS.

To me there are 2 performers that are way above the others: Melissa (the Bachelor) and Gilles (sex & the city movie).  They are really really good. Interesting since they are probably the least celebrity of the group.

I also thought shawn was very good last night and deserved more than the marks they gave her.

And i thought they were very mean to Steven Wozniak. He is doing the best he can with his limitations. And they are acting like he is going on stage and doing nothing. I get why the fans are voting for him. Although i suspect either he or steve o (i enjoy them both) will go. And probably holly. Never warmed up to her.

I still don't have a favorite. If chuck did a bit better i'd probably cheer for him since julianne is my
favorite pro.  Ty did great at the lifts. I enjoyed that!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2009, 04:38:04 PM »

HEALTH VIBES

TO DR JMK!
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2009, 04:40:11 PM »

UPS finally decided to show up at the mail place - they usually deliver by one, but today it was four-fifteen.  Got my boxes, and also the Suskin orchestration book and the Blu-Rays of American In Paris and South Pacific (yes, I've been buying occasional Blu-Rays when the price is right, just to have them here when that day arrives).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2009, 04:40:34 PM »

I think I'm done with my work for the day, so shall now relax and watch some motion pictures on DVD.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2009, 04:48:39 PM »

I am inundated with new CDs all of a sudden.

The good:  the new Burt Bacharach, which I am loving.  He's really working that minor 9 territory he likes so much on this one.

The bad:  an incredibly bad Mancini Latin album I got on a whim.  I am amazed that Henry could have done something this stink-worthy.  The worst use of "basketball arena" organ I have ever heard.   Percussion arrangements are great but, oh, man, that organ is horrible!

I am shocked that you would speak badly of Hank's organ!
“One thing’s universal,

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #164 on: March 31, 2009, 04:49:47 PM »

I also received my Suskind book today along with the Jerome Robbins AMERICAN MASTERS DVD.  I will watch that tonight or THE FORTUNE (Tivoed from TCM last night.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: March 31, 2009, 05:30:22 PM »

Wireless greetings from Java Johnny's!  Richard and I are about to have sandwiches and coffee.

Check your email for some dinner music.

Lovely - thanks!  Who's singing?

Charlotte Rae.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: March 31, 2009, 05:34:21 PM »

My friend Daniel Neer, who just stopped by to pick up some music, tells me that all hell broke out today for Luann, the Countess on REAL HOUSEWIVES OF MANHATTAN: her husband the Count broke up with her via email. Couldn't happen to a more deserving horror than that epitome of Klass.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b106918_real_housewife_countess_luann_de.html
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2009, 05:38:51 PM »

Good evening all.  Thank you so much to all and one and also one and all for the wonderful birthday wishes.  It's been a really hectic birthday, but a pleasant one.  DH Jed did indeed make my favorite chocolate cake.  I will post a picture soon!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2009, 05:39:34 PM »

Health vibes for DR JMK.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2009, 05:39:54 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~HEALTH VIBES TO JMK~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2009, 05:44:28 PM »

Toby is, by the way, already showing his musical tastes.  This last weekend I had his chair next to the piano and I was playing and singing to him, to celebrate our newly tuned piano :)  Toby smiled and cooed for selections from Godspell, Les Miserables, Into The Woods, Company, Songs Fot A New World, and Avenue Q.  Attempts to sing Phantom of The Opera and Cats were met with howls of protest.  I'm such a proud mommy :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #171 on: March 31, 2009, 05:45:25 PM »

MR BK - it's like the email I got last night that read:

I recently saw the ad in the paper for auditions for the first show of the year.  I noticed that the ad did not mention that any children would cast for parts even in the ensemble.  I then went to the playhouse website and noticed that none of the shows have any children's parts.  Is there a reason that they have been excluded this year? Or am I just reading it all wrong? 

Typically the youth workshop does not include younger children, just the older ones.  What do I tell my son who has come to LOVE being in the shows at the playhouse?  Help me explain it to him.

Thank you,
B****  H****

I asked the president to respond.  We DO have a children's workshop that last for two weeks that would INCLUDE her untalented son - if she paid attention to it, she would know that.  Also, we usually plan to do a show that has many roles for kids in the ensemble every OTHER year.  It just so happens that she was around when we did such a show two seasons in a row.  She's really ahead of herself.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #172 on: March 31, 2009, 05:46:31 PM »

LOL...DR ANN.....maybe you should try JOSEPH.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #173 on: March 31, 2009, 05:47:05 PM »

I watched NEVER ON SUNDAY today.  I had never seen it - and of course it makes me even more anxious to get ILLYA DARLING on CD!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #174 on: March 31, 2009, 05:59:18 PM »

That Toby, DS of DRs Ann & Jed, is a cutie. :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2009, 05:59:20 PM »

Toby is, by the way, already showing his musical tastes.  This last weekend I had his chair next to the piano and I was playing and singing to him, to celebrate our newly tuned piano :)  Toby smiled and cooed for selections from Godspell, Les Miserables, Into The Woods, Company, Songs Fot A New World, and Avenue Q.  Attempts to sing Phantom of The Opera and Cats were met with howls of protest.  I'm such a proud mommy :D

The Child Has Taste!

Cillaliz

« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2009, 06:14:42 PM »

Happy Birthday Ann!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #177 on: March 31, 2009, 06:16:29 PM »

John Bolton was in our Bacharach benefit and did a bang-up jog with She Likes Basketball.

How about that

Cillaliz

« Reply #178 on: March 31, 2009, 06:25:36 PM »

Health vibes to DR JMK ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #179 on: March 31, 2009, 06:50:02 PM »

DR elmore this latest report should give you some comfort:

Although bed bugs might prevent you from sleeping soundly, the good news is that their bites don't appear to transmit illness, a new report finds.

I didn't read anything about the effects of the chemicals used to kill the bedbugs. ???
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up