Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF  (Read 30370 times)

Tomovoz

Re:CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF
« Reply #150 on: June 13, 2006, 03:47:55 PM »

I received a call a little earlier today from Rodzinski who told me that Brian Stokes Mitchell was in his office.  Apparently he stopped by to do some press for him upcoming CD on Playbill's label.  He hung out to meet the staff- Rodzinski said that he was most gracious and friendly.
The current CD release has been received very poorly by a friend who is very much a fan of Mr Stokes Mitchell.. Very "odd" arrangements etc.

Have any other DRs heard the CD?  Opinions?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2006, 03:55:04 PM »

BK asks: "Have you ever walked around gingerly? "

No, but I've been accused of walking around Mary Annly.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2006, 03:55:08 PM »

The current CD release has been received very poorly by a friend who is very much a fan of Mr Stokes Mitchell.. Very "odd" arrangements etc.

I am sure that elmore would have an opinion on Mr. Stokes Mitchell!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

FJL

« Reply #153 on: June 13, 2006, 03:55:44 PM »

CHAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF - That should be the title of something.

FJL

« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2006, 03:57:42 PM »

Is the word official that there was a live orchestra at the Tonys, but that the orchestra was several floors away?  Or is that still a rumor?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2006, 03:58:07 PM »

I'm actually listening to it right now.  The arrangements are NOT anything like the original versions...if you don't like that kind of thing, you're not going to like it.  On the whole, I don't mind that sort of thing.  

Overall, I like the CD.  It'll probably grow on me as I listen to it more (which I will).  I did LOVE the "Another Hundred People/Take the 'A' Train" arrangement.  I thought that it was inventive and very well done.  I think I "didn't mind" the arrangements more than I actually "liked" them...except for the train songs. :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 04:05:33 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2006, 03:58:57 PM »

I watched THE CORE last night.

Or was it THE CORP?

Or are they pronuonced the same?
“One thing’s universal,

FJL

« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2006, 04:10:39 PM »

"She was rotten to the core...but great to the infantry."

I believe that's a quote from Morey Amsterdam???

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2006, 04:19:23 PM »

Just had a lovely flat tire - luckily, it was flat when I went out to the car, and didn't blow while I was driving.  Managed to get to the nearby gas station without having to call the triple A.  Annoying.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2006, 04:27:20 PM »

I like it.  Not sure how much I like it yet, but I like it.  Of course, I'm also sort of biased.  Stokes gave me some of his demos when we were doing Sweeney Todd, and it's amazing how some of those demos have basically ended up on the final disc.  When I went to the signing last Friday, I commented, "Hey, these sound familiar."  -Don't they now.  :)  For the record (pun intended), the demos served as the templates for the final studio sessions, but some of them were pretty fully realized even in the demo stage.

*And if you read the liner notes, it says that the album was recorded between 2000 and 2006... And that Stokes played on many of the tracks as well as arranged and conducted most of them.

And as DR George sort of said, if you're looking for a good Vocals disc, you'll enjoy it.  However, if you're looking for a good ole musical theatre baritone CD, well, this is not that type of CD.  *However, it would be nice to have Stokes record a "Baritone's Basic Repertoire" disc sometime - I'm digging his singing on the South Pacific in Concert (Carnegie Hall) CD (and DVD).
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2006, 04:33:22 PM »

I've had a busy video day. I started with another Poirot hour mystery. Unfortunately, I remembered the surprise ending very soon into the show, but I watched anyway just to enjoy the biplay between Sushet and his fellow actors. Wonderful.
This is exactly the reason why I don't mind spoilers (most of the time).  Even knowing how a story will play out doesn't distract me from the writing and playing.

I know, I'm not conventional in this respect.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2006, 04:36:39 PM »

DR Jose - You looked great in your Tony tux - I'm so glad you had a good time.  Thanks for the report!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2006, 04:37:03 PM »

Quote from: MBarnum on Today at 02:27:24pm
I just found out that the newest John Abraham Bollywood movie WATER is playing this weekend at Portland's HOLLYWOOD THEATER! Guess where I will be Saturday evening!
Cruising Salem?
Is Salem the first name or last name?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2006, 04:40:40 PM »

BK asks: "Have you ever walked around gingerly? "

No, but I've been accused of walking around Mary Annly.

der Brucer
*attempting to sing*
Have you ever seen a coconut cream pie walking?  Well I have!
*stops singing to avoid thrown bricks*

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2006, 04:42:47 PM »

Just had a lovely flat tire - luckily, it was flat when I went out to the car, and didn't blow while I was driving.  Managed to get to the nearby gas station without having to call the triple A.  Annoying.
Ever notice how flat tires so often come from driving over something sharp?

::)

FJL

« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2006, 05:22:03 PM »

Holy Cats, indeed!  It's actually the stupefyin' Julie Newmar playing the nasty neighbor on tonight's episode of ACCORDING TO JIM.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2006, 05:24:09 PM »

Well...and I have read EVERY single one of the 7000 posts, DR RLP.

What a nice thing to say.  Thanks.

:)

Am I the only forum member who doesn't have a clue as to the nature of the "decision" vixmom is making?  :P

I've gone back in time and read her posts and still don't know....BUT, I wish her well in making the absolute BEST decision she can.

8)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2006, 05:24:15 PM »

Sample humor:

"I never would have figured her to be a dog person."

"Nah, I've always thought of her as more of a cat woman."

(Laugh track explodes.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #168 on: June 13, 2006, 05:26:47 PM »

CHAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF - That should be the title of something.

I agree...and it should be set in post-Katrina New Orleans.

And there should be some umbrellas and some mint juleps.

And lots of drawling for atmosphere.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #169 on: June 13, 2006, 05:27:44 PM »

You can get away with skimping on lots of things if you have plenty of atmosphere.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #170 on: June 13, 2006, 05:28:39 PM »

This is exactly the reason why I don't mind spoilers (most of the time).  Even knowing how a story will play out doesn't distract me from the writing and playing.

I know, I'm not conventional in this respect.

Woody, you are not conventional in any respect, or disrespect.
“One thing’s universal,

FJL

« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2006, 05:40:58 PM »

Wow, no spoilers here, but ACCORDING TO JIM - THE JULIE NEWMAR EPISODE wound up having a most amusing, maybe even ingenious, plot twist once I got past the first twenty minutes.

Tomovoz

« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2006, 05:41:08 PM »

Thank you DRs George and Jose for the BSM comments.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2006, 05:45:01 PM »

Wow, no spoilers here, but ACCORDING TO JIM - THE JULIE NEWMAR EPISODE wound up having a most amusing, maybe even ingenious, plot twist once I got past the first twenty minutes.

I doubt that the words amusing and ingenious have ever been included in the same sentence with the words ACCORDING TO JIM!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 05:46:34 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

FJL

« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2006, 05:52:03 PM »

"ACCORDING TO JIM" SPOILER - it's still boggling my mind

Julie Newmar played a neighbor with whom Jim has been clashing for years.  Near the end of the episode, we find that she had written a series of incredibly successful books about "THE GRUMPY GUY," all based on her clashes with the Jim Belushi character, and had actually been causing some of these clashes so that she would have material for her books.  I didn't like the episode as a whole (I only stayed with it because of Julie Newmar's appearance in it), but I loved that twist at the end.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: June 13, 2006, 06:05:43 PM »

Just got a lovely e-mail missive from Mr. BoreDetector (I'm sure he's reading this now, since he seems to now be stalking me all over the Internet twenty-four hours a day - someone get this guy some help).  He thinks I'm "hilariously pathetic" - I'd say someone who has an unnatural obsession with another person, I'd say that a bonafide nutcase stalker is a lot more hilariously pathetic than I.   If this guy had one iota of guts he'd simply send me a phone number and we could hash it out via telephone.  Of course, if he had one iota of guts he'd actually sign his name to his missives, but cowardly buttcheeks don't know from stuff like that.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #176 on: June 13, 2006, 06:06:25 PM »

Julie Newmar's appearance is always amazing.  I've met her in person, and marvel that she still looks that way.  And can't help wondering what percentage of her total annual budget goes into the maintenance.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #177 on: June 13, 2006, 06:10:26 PM »

An iota of guts.  I could swear I've seen that measurement in a recipe somewhere.  Or maybe it was a dish served in a gustation menu at some avante garde restaurant.  Served on the head of a pin, as I recall.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: June 13, 2006, 06:11:45 PM »

I am sure that elmore would have an opinion on Mr. Stokes Mitchell!

I hear he's a lovely gentleman, and I've admired several of his performances, especially RAGTIME.  I never ever want to hear his illegitimate baritone do any legit role, from Emil deBecque to Cervantes.  Crikey what a noise!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #179 on: June 13, 2006, 06:32:59 PM »

What a nice thing to say.  Thanks.

:)

Am I the only forum member who doesn't have a clue as to the nature of the "decision" vixmom is making?  :P

I've gone back in time and read her posts and still don't know....BUT, I wish her well in making the absolute BEST decision she can.

8)

Thanks! I cannot say at the moment...one never knows who is reading what you know! But I think I am nearly there!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up