Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF  (Read 30218 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF
« on: June 13, 2006, 12:17:34 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you felt like a sweet bird of youth reading the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which will be suddenly last summer.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 12:17:41 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 12:18:54 AM »

And the word of the day is: BUCCINATOR!

Smoke on your pipe and put that in.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 12:19:19 AM »

We should all trumpet the word BUCCINATOR!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 12:20:56 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday wish to DavidDavidBoDavid and Philip Crosby.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 01:20:31 AM »

First post of the day after BK? Gosh! What AM I doing up so early?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 01:21:14 AM »

I got the phone call.        

vixmom

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 01:21:35 AM »

I had a second meeting last night

vixmom

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 01:21:59 AM »

Oh decisions, decisions!

vixmom

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 01:22:28 AM »

What IS a girl to do?

vixmom

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 01:24:41 AM »

Catch up on yesterday's posts and hope for inspiration I suppose!

vixmom

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 01:46:28 AM »

All caught up

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~Continued VIBES For Elmore, his  Dad and His Family~~~~~~~  [/move] [/color]

vixmom

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 01:47:07 AM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~Continued HEALING VIBES For TCB~~~~~~~  [/move] [/color]

vixmom

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 01:48:02 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~HEALTH VIBES FOR CALLIE CAT~~~~~~~  [/move] [/color]

Tomovoz

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 01:53:02 AM »

Good grief.. Vixmum.  Way too early.  You're supposed to be after Larry, Ben, Michael and Jack. I don't cope well with change.

Take a note from "The Rothschilds".  "Toss a Coin"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

vixmom

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 01:54:18 AM »

Congratulations on your new Plateau RLP!

vixmom

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 01:56:03 AM »

Good grief.. Vixmum.  Way too early.  You're supposed to be after Larry, Ben, Michael and Jack. I don't cope well with change.

Take a note from "The Rothschilds".  "Toss a Coin"

Good Morning Tomovoz!! (Well good evening I suppose would be more accurate foryou! It 4:50 inthe AM here)

vixmom

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 01:56:34 AM »

My mind is all in a turmoil and I cannae sleep

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 01:58:02 AM »

We are 14 hours ahead of you. It's been a cool day. Hope your is "Kewl"!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

vixmom

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 02:00:35 AM »

I guess I should have a lie down and try to get in another few "winks' before the alarm goes off in an hour

vixmom

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 02:02:27 AM »

It has been on the coolish side for June usually we get some very warm days 80's  by now but highs have been in the low 70's....all the rain we have been having I suppose

Tomovoz

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 02:02:57 AM »

Wake up refreshed and decisive.  Best of decision making thoughts from this side of the Rainbow.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 02:04:09 AM »

Dinner time.  bye.
James Thurber 1957

vixmom

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 02:04:29 AM »

Speaking of rain

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~ANTI HURRICANE VIBES FOR DR DANISE AND HER MOM~~~~~~[/move]

vixmom

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 02:05:20 AM »

I have heard that the Gulf coast of Florida is being evacuated, which I believe includes her home.......

vixmom

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 02:05:51 AM »

Thanks Tom! Have anice dinner... off to dreamland (I hope)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 02:47:31 AM »

I suppose it's a good thing it was my orbicularis oris that was torn wide open a few weeks ago.  If it had been my buccinator, the wound would have been much more gross.  As it is, there is very little scarring, just a subdural lump that feels, well, lumpy, and a slight numbness that I'll just have to live with.

I still wish we'd had some pics taken - just didn't think of it at the time.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 03:23:47 AM »

Yesterday was the workday from Hades.  Particularly since I wasn't scheduled to go in, but got that early morning call from Larry.  (Larry is just a couple of days older than I, a low-level manager with a good work ethic and equally good sense of humor.  Der B and I have met his other half, David, a couple of times.  Larry had been thinking of retiring, but for some quirk in company policy had to return to the store in Maryland where he first started to do so.  He's since re-thought the situation, and is now back in Rehoboth where he belongs.)  

If I'd looked out the window, I'd have seen what part of the problem was.  It was raining.  Not pouring, exactly, but when it rains at a beach resort town, there's just one thing for the visitors to do - go shopping!

We were quite busy all day.  I had lines of customers waiting to be checked out, some with their carts very full of groceries.  Some of the bills ran over three hundred dollars.  And some of the customers were very cranky.  Keeping a cheerful demeanor through a seven hour shift when faced with a number of cranky customers is not easy.  My shift ran seven and a half hours.

By the end of the day, I was ready to be a nasty bitch.

Poor der Brucer, who had to put up with me while we dashed up to Dover for some shopping of our own at Sam's Club.  Dog food, doggie biscuits, paper towels, various and sundry sundries.

We got to the checkout line, and put most of our purchases on the checkout belt.  There was no way I was lifting that bag of dog food onto the belt, and the paper towels could stay in the cart as well.  We've done this before - heck, we've been instructed to do this - because the cashiers have hand-scanners that make it easier on everyone.  But no, this particular cashier was having none of it.  "You'll have to put those items on the belt."  Huh?  "It's company policy.  You have to put the items on the belt, so I can transfer them to another shopping cart."

This, of course, is making no sense at all.  We're talking about a fifty pound bag of dog food.  When I put it in the cart, I was careful to make sure the bar code was easily readable from where she would be scanning it.  She was instead insisting that I lift it up onto the belt (two times fifty is a hundred), so that she could then lift it into a second cart (three times fifty is a hundred fifty), which I would then wheel into the parking lot to lift into the car (two hundred) and then take home, where I would lift it out of the car (two fifty) to take it inside the house.  By my count, that was an extra fifty pounds of lifting for me (der B does not lift like that), and a needless fifty pounds lifting for her.

But she was quite cross with us, like we owed her her job.  

Interesting impass, right?  I mean, when I'm checking out customers and I see that there's a lot of lifting to be done, I'll scoot around with my own hand scanner to scan items in my customer's carts, or help them lift the items onto my register's belt.  This surprises them, but they are thankful for my help, particularly the older women who come my way.  Nothing makes my day more than the smile of a older woman for whom I've made life easier.  So it's not like I'm adverse to doing a little extra.  But that's me, being helpful.  There was nothing, nothing at all, that was helpful about this cashier.

Fortunately, or un-, the husky cashier at the next register came over and did the lifting for her/us.  Der B was not happy with this - he'd had to put up with my bitchiness for an hour, and wasn't about to tolerate the same from a stranger, and would have loved to have a supervisor get involved.  He's good at that.

On the ride home, I figured out what was really wrong.  It wasn't just that cashier's attitude, which was more than negative.  She was being agressively negative.  We were supposed to serve her, and not the other way around, and she made sure we knew it.  And that left a nasty taste in our mouths.

I did take note of her name, on her badge.  If we encounter her again, and her attitude is the same, I'm gonna squawk.  Loudly.  I take pride in my work, and expect the same, or something resembling the same, from others.

The good news is, it's a pleasant, sunny day today.  My shift at work should be a good one.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 03:37:36 AM »

HI everyone.  Just wanted to pop in and let you know that we are alright.  A bunch of rain but no damage.  

Thank you for the vibes.

I can't carry the laptop because of all the rain.  I don't want it to get wet.  

Gotta scoot but I promise I will try to post tonight.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 03:37:57 AM »

I'll be cooking that duck tonight.

There's two ways I can go about this.  I can either roast the duck whole, or I can cut it down to the component parts.

The problem with roasting the duck whole is that it's not really the best way to cook a duck.  By the time the subcultaneous fat (which is delicious) has rendered out, every resource I've got says that the legs will be hopelessly overcooked, and the breast meat runs the risk of having dried out too much.

Which means, I'll be cutting away the leg and thigh sections for one meal, and de-boning the breasts, leaving the skin on.  The carcass can then be saved for making stock (we've another bird in the freezer, so if I freeze the bones until that bird is prepared as well I'll have plenty).

Now, what to do with those breasts.  I could fondle them, but that doesn't get them cooked.  A saute is the best idea: score the skin and fat with a cross-hatch of cuts, without cutting into the meat itself.  Saute the breasts, skin side down, over medium-high heat, so that the fat renders out, for about twelve minutes, then flip them over for another two minutes on the other side.  Slice and fan on the plate for presentation.

And, for the other items on the plate, a mixture of sauteed mushrooms (shiitake, criminis, buttons mixed, perhaps) and wilted spinach, and some roasted herbed red potatoes.

I'll deal with the legs in a couple of days.

And you all are probably reading this early in your day, with all of the rest of your waking moments ahead of you.  I'm so evil!   ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2006, 03:38:44 AM »

Vibage for Danise!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up