Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BIG CHAT  (Read 34582 times)

Andrea

Re:THE BIG CHAT
« Reply #180 on: October 28, 2003, 06:16:54 PM »

Ah... but I'm a sucker for the all american, I'm an undercover operative thing (if only!). If only in real life there were those DGLCs! (ie Damn Good-Looking Commandos!)

Not that I didn't prefer Tara over Oz. Tara had the right hotness quota thankyouverymuch!

Andrea

« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2003, 06:18:15 PM »

wow... I should stop studying and start posting shouldn't I? Only five posts! At this rate I'll never get anywhere.

So now I suppose I must overdose on postage... the essay will right itself.

Andrea

« Reply #182 on: October 28, 2003, 06:19:42 PM »

At the risk of upsurping BK's power [insert humble bow], would it be appropriate to suggest a discussion about halloween costumes? Creative ones, ones you've worn and ones you're going to wear....

Michael

« Reply #183 on: October 28, 2003, 06:36:46 PM »

You know that I just noticed that today's note's title is a mixture of French and English!

In other words  The Big Cat!

And what I really wanted to post is that I totally forgot about
The Twilight Zone!!

I have to admit I really liked the Golden Girls, but when you watch them twice a day 5 days a week you see that it fell into a pattern. It became very predictable and when they ran out of material they used the flashbacks from previous episodes.

Also forgot The Mary Tyler Moore Show as good as it was hopelessly stuck in the 70's. I bought the first season on DVD and there were some great shows the majority of them did nothing for me. But then there was the classic Chuckles the Clown Bites The Dusk which I think was votes or has been acknowledge as the single funniest episode from a series.

[/img][/img]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2003, 06:38:29 PM by MDS »
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: October 28, 2003, 06:48:15 PM »

Time for new art:

This is a Robert Maguire painting used for a seventies paperback of Agatha Christie's Crooked House.

Jennifer

« Reply #185 on: October 28, 2003, 06:48:16 PM »

Hey DRs RonP, MBarnum and others:  How come nobody else got excited about the new picture posting information?!?  We no longer have to download the picture or have it on our computer or disk.  This totally made my day!

Angela

« Reply #186 on: October 28, 2003, 06:54:55 PM »

TD: Just loved the pictures of Angel & Spike....  Now, how about a hot photo of dear Wesley!  Not too hot, I may need another shower -- phew!

Thank goodness for cable channels: FX & TNT!  I'm able to catch up on all my missed episodes of Buffy & Angel.
Where ever you go, there you are.........

Angela

« Reply #187 on: October 28, 2003, 06:56:51 PM »

I'm libel to have nightmares over the BIG CAT!  Since I'm allergic to cats -- I need to pop another Claritin....
Where ever you go, there you are.........

Emily

« Reply #188 on: October 28, 2003, 07:01:31 PM »

oooh... I have a special request for BK!!!  (Andrea's post about suggesting a topic for the day reminded me that I've wanted to do this too)

BK - seeing as it is my birthday on Monday, I was hoping that we might be able to have another one of our HHW constructed stories days (you know, where one person starts a story and we all add bits and pieces to it).  "The Land of Assassinated Musicals" was soooo much fun!!!

Pwetty Pwetty Please??????
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Hapgood

• Why is the smart son always the gay son?
    • My Diary
« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2003, 07:25:11 PM »

Hello all! I am very sorry to have missed le gran chat, but I had a good excuse-I was studying for my midterm in my Comparative Politics class. I think that the test went pretty well, though it was a long test-after 80 straigh minutes of writing, my hand was very sore indeed! I have just been studying for my English midterm tomorrow, about wich I feel relatively Confident. I feel that I have a command of the important literary terms which I need to know. It is quite the fun class-I'm really learning about teasing small details in to major statements about the book.

I watch very little television these days, dues to the large amount of studying I need to do. And when I do watch stuff on TV, it is usually a DVD that someone brought in.

THe major show that I love to watch is The Daily Show-really some of the best political satire around. And Jon Stewart's interviews with political figures are actually quite intelligent, and low on the self-serving bull that one often sees them saying-he puts them off-guard. There are some other shows that I watch, but not too many.

I am looking forward to the next few days. Partially this is because after tomorrow I have no more midterms, which is very nice indeed. But there are other lovely thigns coming up: On Thursday I will be able to go (for free) to the school's production of The Real Thing (because I am a theatre major). It is one of my very favorite plays, so I am looking forward to seeing it. I may even return to it with my parents next weekend, which is parents weekend. This Saturday, the film society on campus is commemorating the 0th anniversary of the death of Fellini with free showings of his Nights of Cabiria (basis of Sweet Charity) and his 8 1/2 (basis of Nine). These are quite interesting, outside of their Broadway connections, as these are both 1) classic films and a) free. I think that I will put together a group of friends to see these both with me, with a trip for Chinese food in between. Discussing a movie or play you have just seen over Asian food is one of the great joys of life, wouldn't you say?
Six Characters in Search of an Author by Luigi Pirandello. Barber Theatre. Northwestern University. February 13-22. The greatest theatrical event that the world has ever known!

MBarnum

« Reply #190 on: October 28, 2003, 07:28:05 PM »

MBarnum - yes, these are the original paintings commissioned for those book covers.  I've had quite a few in my day, and some pretty classic ones.  We can thank a certain company for my no longer having certain ones - lawsuits, you know.

Oh, my gosh that is fantastic! What items!  Do you know anything about the painters? I always thought it would be fun to find out about the people who did those covers...and I am sorry that you had to give some of them up! I can imagine that was not an easy thing to do.

Please show some more!! I love 'em.

Andrea

« Reply #191 on: October 28, 2003, 07:37:00 PM »

Hapgood: oh! More details about the english class... what works are you studying?

MBarnum

« Reply #192 on: October 28, 2003, 07:37:10 PM »

Hey DRs RonP, MBarnum and others:  How come nobody else got excited about the new picture posting information?!?  We no longer have to download the picture or have it on our computer or disk.  This totally made my day!

Actually I am quite thrilled with that myself and I need to give it a try to see if it will work for me (as I understand it).

Here goes: a pic of one of my other favorite actors (this guy I got to interview) Keith Andes

http://www.briansdriveintheater.com/filmnoir/keithandes/keithandes2.jpg

Tomovoz

« Reply #193 on: October 28, 2003, 07:38:27 PM »

Fortunately I am not too sensitive to such issues but it can be taken as a little insulting to be listed as a Newbie when you have been posting almost every day for nearly two years. On to the positives: I received my DVD of "Broadway's Lost Treasures" today.  Of course it is great to have those performances but there could have been so much more that was so much better! If only the rights to the better shows were to be made available. My poor old video copies are probably too faded to transfer to DVD. Now I am sounding negative again.
Re: Mary Tyler Moore. I had a request for the song today. I have the TV theme version. Do any DRs know if it is Sonny Curtis who sings it?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #194 on: October 28, 2003, 07:38:52 PM »

LOL! Well, it gave me a link, but not the picture! Drat. Guess I don't have the hang of it, but I thought I followed your instructions Jennifer!

I will hie myself over to the tech board and practice. :-\

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #195 on: October 28, 2003, 07:39:11 PM »

MY DEAR HAINESY/KIMLET FRIENDS:

I must heartily apologize for my truancy and errancy and also for my errancy and truancy.  But the long awaited UNPLEASANT BUSINESS (UB) is finally coming to a head this week.

That's right, the trial has started.  Yesterday was jury selection, and today the prosecution presented their first witless witness, the gracious and conniving Lady Macbeth.

What I am asking of you all, if you will, is to send Joe and me your Good Vibes.  Yes, those we could use in abundance.  Specifically, vibes of the following varieties:

1.  That the Innocent should be exonerated.

2.  That the Evil Persons should be shown for what they are.

3.  That I should not make a fool of myself on the witness stand.

4.  That Joe and I should remain calm through all of this.

So far, number 2 above is being taken care of.  A fuller report will follow next week on Lady M.'s performance before the court and the rolling eyes and snickers that it engendered.

For now, let me just apologize again and tell you that I have not read the notes since last Thursday and probably shan't again until the weekend.  But my heart is here at hhw, although my body is sitting in the hallway of the courthouse reading Gregory Maguire's Wicked for hours at a stretch.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Tomovoz

« Reply #196 on: October 28, 2003, 07:42:16 PM »

Much is certainly being sent in the way of good positive OZ vibes (They are all Hugh Jackman clones) to Bill & Joe.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #197 on: October 28, 2003, 07:59:08 PM »

Actually I am quite thrilled with that myself and I need to give it a try to see if it will work for me (as I understand it).

Here goes: a pic of one of my other favorite actors (this guy I got to interview) Keith Andes

http://www.briansdriveintheater.com/filmnoir/keithandes/keithandes2.jpg

After you have clicked on the image icon (row two, fifth in),
put the link between the square parens in img][/img

der Instructor
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #198 on: October 28, 2003, 08:10:36 PM »

I'm not quite sure who the gentleman in the turtleneck is, but to my eye he looks rather overbleached and malnourished.

His name is Spike - and he is very pale because he stays out of the sunlight ('cause he's a Vampire) and he looks malnurished because he's a reformed Vampire and limits his diet to pre-package animal blood.

der Brucer - a Scooby gang fan
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #199 on: October 28, 2003, 08:15:50 PM »

Another great reason for watching Stargate - SG1, Michael Shanks!

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #200 on: October 28, 2003, 08:21:55 PM »

His name is really James Marsters.  As "Spike," he is the "biggest BAD who ever was" and he is brilliant in his role.

When he and Buffy were an item, it was he who fell in love with her....their relationship, though, was based merely on the physical, and he was totally brilliant in those scenes.

In the finale of "Buffy," it was Spike whom they chose to use to make the "ultimate sacrifice"...something that Angel was supposed to do to atone for his many sins.

Spike's karma is SO GREAT that it pains me to seem them torture him in the new season on "Angel" in a "will they bring him back or won't they" scenario.

Tom from OZ:  You've got 7 karma hits and 43 posts.  You're just 8 posts away from being a "Junior Member" on the "new board."  I was there day before yesterday.  Today I am a full member with more than 100 posts.   Just keep on keeping on.....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #201 on: October 28, 2003, 08:25:12 PM »

Of course many good vibes to William F. Orr - sadly, I know exactly what he is going through.  Had I been willing to have negativity in my life for another three years, I'm quite certain what the jury would have seen would have made me the clear winner.  But, it wasn't worth it to me.  Good vibes follow and may the righteous prevail:

Next piece of art is a pinup by the amazing Billy deVorss.  This painting is featured in The Great American Pinup book - I love when paintings I have are in reference books.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: October 28, 2003, 08:27:03 PM »

Oh, and Emily, yes we'll do that for your birthday.  Please remind me on Sunday.

Jennifer

« Reply #203 on: October 28, 2003, 08:33:03 PM »

MBarnum I sent you an email.  I think what you did was just link a website. It looks like you chose the website icon, instead of the image one (the picture frame, 5th one on the bottom row).

Don't forget. The best part of this feature is that you can preview your pictures. So you can see if the picture is working.

To me, actually the only confusing part was when i clicked on "properties", i had to go to where it said "website/url" and copy that link. I had never done that before. That was the only part in the instructions that I thought could be difficult.

Good luck.

Dennis

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: October 28, 2003, 08:34:57 PM »

One of my favorite network TV shows is "The Guardian".  It's kind of weird and offbeat but I like the low key, sometimes almost TOO low  key, style of Simon Baker.  It has a talented cast and  interesting stories.
"The Office" on BBC America is a very funny show. The only problem is that the accents are difficult to decipher. Anyone who works, or has worked, in an office will love this show.  It has just been released on DVD and one of the bonuses is English subtitles. There are times they could come in handy.
I wanted to take just a moment to extend my sympathy to the citizens of fire ravaged Southern California.  I work in the travel industry here in Oregon and we are starting to get calls from people who have to cancel their trips because they have been burned out of their homes, they are being evacuated, or they are firemen who were paged as they were checking their bags on the plane at LAX. It's horrible to see on TV but it really hits home when you here people describing what is happening to them.
To everyone who is directly involved by this disaster or who knows someone who is, I  think I can safely say that our thoughts are with you and hope this is over very soon.
This also includes all of the firefighters who are bone weary but keep working to try to save homes and lives. They are really heroes.
Gov. Gray Davis has asked our Governor for help in the form of a special helicoper that no other National Guard in the nation has. It's excellent at fighting fires. Gov. Kulongowski dispatched the troops and the helicopter at once.
Peace.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #205 on: October 28, 2003, 08:35:05 PM »

You're right about HONEY WEST being on Friday on the network, but in Charlotte back then, there was no separate ABC affiliate. Our local Channel 9 divided its schedule between NBC and ABC's lineups, and our local channel carried it on Saturday night (on a week's delay). They did the same thing with BATMAN running it a week late at 7 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday rather than at 7:30 which they used to show NBC's THE VIRGINIAN on Wednesday and whatever NBC carried on Thursday for those years.

Sorry, I should have made that clearer.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #206 on: October 28, 2003, 08:37:03 PM »

Jennifer:  I hadn't tried the way described because I didn't have any place in particular I wanted to go to retrieve a photo from

However, since "Buffy" has been a topic of conversation and since someone mentioned the name Marc Blucas (Riley Finn), I offer the following:

Tomovoz

« Reply #207 on: October 28, 2003, 08:45:12 PM »

DR  Dennis: Another OZ actor making good. Simon Baker.
Funny to read that subtitles may help with "The Office". It was indeed a brilliant series. It certianly would have been useful in my years of teaching "Business Management".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #208 on: October 28, 2003, 08:51:46 PM »

Lots and lots of good vibes to Bill and Joe for all of the mentioned reasons!

BK:  Those pictures are fantastic, especially the last one!  Now I really feel like I have been a guest in your home.

Ron:  I guess that photo of the wonderful Robert Fuller almost makes up for posting the photos of the homophobic, anti-Semitic Mr. Gibson.

Maya:  Thank you for putting back that lovely picture of yourself, and also thank you, thank you for the beautiful Brent Barrett photo.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #209 on: October 28, 2003, 08:54:39 PM »

Keep at it Tommy, you too can become a Junior Member!
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up