Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: YESTERDAY'S PETTY ANNOYANCES  (Read 35391 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:YESTERDAY'S PETTY ANNOYANCES
« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2004, 07:54:56 PM »

Btw, re: the new Fall line up.

Apparently ABC has 8 new shows. One of them is "Lost", a drama from Alias creator j.j abrams....
This could account for the delayed start for Alias, to give abrams time to get the new series on solid footing before concentrating on his older show.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: May 18, 2004, 07:55:12 PM »

Dear reader Panni, despite promises, has NOT delivered an address for Miss Parrish.

divarobbie: Thanks for your nice words - believe me, it's always nice to hear nice things.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #212 on: May 18, 2004, 07:56:05 PM »

Page Eight Dance:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Hot-Cha-Cha![/size][/b][/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #213 on: May 18, 2004, 08:01:04 PM »

Dear reader Panni, despite promises, has NOT delivered an address for Miss Parrish.
Well, I didn't realize she was a goddess with acolytes protecting her privacy. The lady has serious worshipers - I don't mean fans, I mean worshipers.  But if my researcher surfaces, I'll get her on the case.

Jed

« Reply #214 on: May 18, 2004, 08:01:04 PM »

Oh, and I almost forgot. Creamy peanut butter. My brother says he likes crunchy, but only because he knows I don't like it. Isn't that always the way.

My sister and I will eat any peanut butter, but when we were younger she used to prefer creamy, while I prefered crunchy.  Both of us have changed our PB preferences over the years.

Skippy for me, usually.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Panni

« Reply #215 on: May 18, 2004, 08:02:20 PM »

Yes to matzoh with butter. But NO to onion matzoh. Did Moses eat Onion matzoh - NO. Matzoh should be pure with no frills. End of story.

Panni

« Reply #216 on: May 18, 2004, 08:04:02 PM »

I've become addicted to an Internet wordgame. For the last hour I've been playing Bookworm. Couldn't stop. Just wanted to try it once - HAH!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #217 on: May 18, 2004, 08:13:26 PM »

I love chunky, der Brucer insists on creamy.  I can see using creamy for cooking, but chunky has that texture thing going for it.

HOWEVER...

A few weeks ago der B and I stopped by the Wooden Indian, a curio shoppe downtown, where they were holding a sampling of goods by Peanut Better.  Yes, that's how it's spelled, with the italics.  We now have, for our enjoyment, three jars: one of Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter, one of Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Peanut Butter, and one of Thai Chili and Ginger Peanut Butter.  They are all incredably good, and are all semi-chunky, meaning they're a coarser grind than creamy, but a bit smoother than what we think of as chunky.

Believe it or not, the Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Peanut Butter is great on a grilled chicken breast sandwich!  And a spoonful of the Thai Chili and Ginger PB, with some soy sauce, makes a fine sauce for a bowl of Asian pasta.

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter shouldn't need any explanation.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #218 on: May 18, 2004, 08:14:12 PM »

(Singing):

Bookworm, Bookworm,
Measuring the Internet...

;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #219 on: May 18, 2004, 08:17:03 PM »

Oh, and der Brucer has to be careful about putting the PB jars back in the cupboard, where they belong, rather than leaving them on the coffee table.  Marty is partial to Skippy Honey-Roasted.  He'll unscrew the lid (we don't know how he does that, because he'll leave no tooth marks on the lid) and clean the jar every chance he gets.

As far as I know, the stuff is good for his coat.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #220 on: May 18, 2004, 08:25:43 PM »

The benefit at the Belt went very well.  The Chainsaw Boys rocked the joint.

Lest there be any confusion
Best Foods and Hellman's are the same product.
They used to have the same jingle, although
 Bring out the Best Foods and bring out the best
makes more sense than
 Bring out the Hellman's and bring out the best

It's Hellman's in the east, Best Foods in the west
and I've always believed it's because they thought they could not sell mayonaisse with a Jewish name in the west.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #221 on: May 18, 2004, 08:26:31 PM »

Chunky. Skippy. Reduced Calorie.  Sometimes nothing but a peanut butter and jelly sandwich will do.  Welch's grape jelly for me.   The Lovely Wife has introduced me to the peanut butter lollipop, which is nothing more than a big scoop of peanut butter on a soup spoon.  Great protein boost for that afternoon energy slump.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #222 on: May 18, 2004, 08:31:13 PM »

Oh, the Matzoh Maven is making with the snappy pronouncements.  I like onion matzoh and the devil take the hindmost.  The HINDMOST, do you hear me?  I spy a VERY errant and truant person perusing the board.  Hmmm.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #223 on: May 18, 2004, 08:33:54 PM »

This jernt is positively jumpin' tonight.  We LOVE this.  I am watching Mr. Otto Preminger's marvelous film noir, Fallen Angel.  I am trying to be a good boy and not eat anything beyond my Subway club and my red licorice.  But, suddenly, In and Out burger is calling me, calling me.  I shall try to be tough and not give in to temptation - I've had a hankerin' for one for three weeks, but when thinking about food I always forget and end up going to the same fershluganah places.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

Jason

« Reply #224 on: May 18, 2004, 08:36:28 PM »

What's this? Can it be? Oh, all the demons in hell have come back to torment me. Back in the oven with ya...

Hi, Dear Readers...I'm back from what has turned out to be a very long few months fraught with work, work, work, work, work and, in all honesty, I took a self-imposed break from HHW to catch my breath, re-evaluate a few things and free up whatever few minutes I had free to do other such things as laundry, eating, bathing, and from time to time, sleeping a bit. I won't go into all of the sordid details, but suffice it to say that at one point I was working three jobs--70-75 hours a week--and I won't lie, for a good chunk of time I didn't know up from down. That doesn't excuse my sudden disappearance, and I do apologize for that, but it's a start at getting back into the swing of things, if all y'all'll have me. Can "Y'all'll" be a word? It must be...

I know many of you wondered where I went and how I was doing, and I thank DRs Laura and Jose for passing your well-wishes on to me. I'm sorry I couldn't find the time to stop by and say hi...that was selfish of me...but I promise you I'm not lying when I say I've really had no free time for the last three or four months. Unfortunately, I don't have the bank statements to reflect all that work, but what can you do?

I'm afraid I don't really have a lot to report for the time I've been away. I'm still at MTI (I've decided to take a permanent position there in the fall, but more on that another time), my job at the Met is on hiatus until the fall, and the other job--well, I was the assistant director for a workshop production of ALADDIN, JR. for MTI and Disney and when I say it wasn't worth it, I truly mean, it wasn't worth it. So many hours...so many pre-teens...so very little money. The Disney gig is over, and I know now that I'll not do it again, so...lesson learned.

I'm going to go ahead and post this and if I can think of other things to share, I will. Otherwise...hi! and I hope you guys will accept me back in the "fold" as it were... Ciao.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 08:38:31 PM by Jason »

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #225 on: May 18, 2004, 08:37:41 PM »

Oh yes, the peanut butter lollipop. One of the prefered methods of peanut butter consumption. The only better way is to enrobe the peanut butter in chocolate.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

td

• td
« Reply #226 on: May 18, 2004, 08:37:47 PM »

Well, there may be E&T people perusing, but, those with the most posts are:

BK
Jrand53
Matt H
Tomovoz
Panni
Jennifer
Jane
TCB
S Woody White
td

hmmmmm. . .i'm at the bottom.  below S Woody and TCB.  what's a poor boy to do but VANITY POST ! ! ? ? ? ! ! !
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #227 on: May 18, 2004, 08:39:11 PM »

Just remembered another sandwich favorite from kidhood--liverwurst on rye with a pile of potato chips mashed into the liverwurst.

And from the "Gee, it smelled good..." department:  Underwood Deviled Ham spread.  My mouth would water when my dad opened a can of this stuff and made a sandwich.  But when I took a bite---yechhhhhh!!!  Awful!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #228 on: May 18, 2004, 08:40:45 PM »

I just finished JEWISH THIGHS ON BROADWAY, and its mix of broad outrageous humor, humanity, ambitions and compassion reminded me a lot of another Los Angeles Jewish author I'd read recently.  I was wrong in my estimation earlier in the week; it's not about an actress' rise to the middle, it's about survivng the demons and going on.  

This has been a strange day in New York, with the 9/11 hearings going on, my still going to pieces when they show footage of the tragedy, a couple of bizarre phone calls from Texas and TV Guide - a scam?  a line? - and Penny O's humor was just what I needed before bed.  Then she grabbed my heart, tore it out and I stopped laughing.  I'm still sorting out my feelings on it, but I urge you all to read it if you haven't already since i'm late to this site.

Oh, smooth, on multigrain bread with black cherry preserves, or peach preserves, or honey.  Good night.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #229 on: May 18, 2004, 08:41:06 PM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! BACK WELCOME JASON ! ![/move]
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #230 on: May 18, 2004, 08:41:47 PM »

Welcome back, Jason.  Everyone is always welcome back here at haineshisway.com.  

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #231 on: May 18, 2004, 08:45:05 PM »

...if all y'all'll have me.

I do believe I speak for the minions of Hainsies and Kimlets when I say welcome back to the fold, Dear Reader Jason.  You've been missed terribly.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #232 on: May 18, 2004, 08:45:19 PM »

I am very partial to EGG McMUFFIN for Breakfast'

I love a good creamy Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich on White Toast.Also Egg Salad and Tomato.

And I am looking forward to my annual visit to the City that never sleeps...NEW YORK,NEW YORK for Pastrami on Rye at THE CARNEGIE DELI...the very best.

And beside Sandwiches---visits to Joe Allen's and to Peter Luger's for the best steak in the world!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #233 on: May 18, 2004, 08:55:07 PM »

It was James Mason who brought up the idea of a nutburger to Judy Garland in A STAR IS BORN as a way of quieting her nerves before her screen test.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #234 on: May 18, 2004, 09:00:36 PM »

Jason? Jason who?

Hehe. Welcome back Jason! Glad to see you posting again! And nice new pic!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #235 on: May 18, 2004, 09:03:41 PM »

Great to see you back, DR Jason.

On AMERICAN IDOL tonight:

None of the three contestants distinguished herself on all three songs. Fantasia got by far the most positive reviews and is being annointed the winner even before the final round of solos. Her first two songs to me were nothing to praise so expressively, especially the second one in which she let the background singers do most of the singing and she merely chimed in from time to time. I couldn't believe she wasn't singing, and then the judges praised her as if there were no tomorrow. I did enjoy her last performance.

Jasmine outsang Diana in the first round. Diana was doing some weird kind of flip-flopping between her chest and her head voices for no good reason, and I really couldn't understand why she was doing that other than nerves. The second round of songs favored Diana just a bit even if she was stuck with one of those tuneless and dismal Diane Warren songs that I never like or can appreciate.

By the third round, Jamine was sung out and frequently flat, not able to sustain her big notes at all. Diana sang "Don't Cry Out Loud" for all it was worth and redeemed herself with that being the last song of the evening.

I got two calls in tonight for Diana and none for Fantastia. (I did try more often on Diana's line, but both were very, very busy. Didn't even try Jasmine's line.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #236 on: May 18, 2004, 09:05:30 PM »

Welcome back home Jason.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #237 on: May 18, 2004, 09:07:15 PM »

Hey Jason! Welcome back!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

« Reply #238 on: May 18, 2004, 09:10:48 PM »

The Matzoh Maven (Moi) wants some of SWW's Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter! That just sounds TOO good.

Panni

« Reply #239 on: May 18, 2004, 09:24:53 PM »

I've just suddenly had a partial "food memory" of Joe Allen's and it's driving me nuts. I used to go to Joe Allen's fairly often in Toronto. And I always ate the same thing -- but I can't recall what. (This was over 15 years ago.) Do they have some kind of great thick bean soup that's a JA specialty? That's one thing that comes to mind. Somebody help me out here.  ???
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up