Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: YESTERDAY'S PETTY ANNOYANCES  (Read 35058 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
YESTERDAY'S PETTY ANNOYANCES
« on: May 18, 2004, 12:04:06 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've nibbled on the notes, you've snacked on the notes and now it is time for you to post your thoughts on the nibbling and the snacking of the notes.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 12:01:28 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:YESTERDAY'S PETTY ANNOYANCES
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 12:15:43 AM »

I'm not big on sandwiches -- actually, I'm not big unless I stand on a chair -- but the favorite sandwich I used to have as a kid was ham (thinly sliced) and Swiss cheese on a kaiser (totally Kosher). I would buy this sandwich every Saturday at a Hungarian butcher store on Bloor Street in Toronto. I believe it was called Elizabeth's Butcher Store - or something like that. Every Saturday I used to help out in the bridal shop that my mother owned. (I was an excellent sales lady/ sales kid.) As a reward for helping I would receive enough money at lunchtime to cross the street and get my favorite sandwich from Elizabeth's. Elizabeth's also sold marzipan pigs around New Year's. I would also get one of those at New Year's.
Aren't you glad you asked?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 12:26:59 AM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 12:20:40 AM »

Favorite side dishes: Cole slaw, pickles. Are mashed potatoes a side dish? I like fresh green peas. And creamed spinach.

Panni

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 12:25:15 AM »

Good night, all.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 12:28:27 AM »

Sandwiches at home: generally, whatever is in the fridge.  Which means, quite often, slicing up leftovers.  Der Brucer is much more of a leftover sandwich maker than I, however.

I'm more likely to make quesadillas.  Some grated cheese between a couple of tortillas, and melted either on the stove or nuked, sliced into quarters, and then I have to tell the doggies that it's my lunch, not theirs.  They never believe me.

Sandwiches away from home: I was very happy to have that burger over at the Purple Parrot tonight.  It's a huge thing, which I can then top with cheese and bacon and onion, and a splash of mustard.

But if we're over at the Rehoboth Diner, I'm more likely to order the French Dip.  I've always been fond of French Dip, because it's so delightfully messy and flavorful.  (No, Francois, I'm not referring to you.  I have no evidence that you are messy.)

Sides?  I love fries, with catsup, but I tend to doctor the catsup if I can, with some hot sauce or whatever is available.  And I like cole slaw, sometimes.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 12:32:09 AM »

Panni posed an interesting question towards the end of yesterday's thread, but didn't get much response.  What she posted was:

Just read an interesting statement. Anyone want to offer your thoughts on the following: "Audiences today are a little embarrassed by their emotions." (The speaker is commenting on audiences not willing to be emotional with the likes of Tennessee Williams.)

I posted my answer yesterday, but I'm wondering if anyone else has anything to say.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 12:51:22 AM »

And, to reply to Panni's comment on my comment:

I don't think the writers are entirely to blame.  I also blame the directors and producers, who also seem to have spent their whole lives watching screens.  They feed off of each other, and we get what results from that feeding.  (If that doesn't give a nasty mental image, I don't know what can.)

I'm none too happy with how society as a whole is dealing with this.  So often, I run across news stories where someone is demanding everyone be protected from some story or other, because it doesn't conform to their own limited world view.  Remember Jenny's tale of the production of The Sound of Music, where the nuns became wise women or some such thing.  Or her story about the teacher who refused to hear that Oscar Wilde was gay, because saying he was gay might offend someone?

It's as if people are trying to remove all the direct confrontation that life involves, because that involvement might be upsetting in some way.  Let's not discuss racism, because it's a controversial subject and therefor automatically bad.  Let's not discuss sexually transmitted diseases, because that means people have sex, and that's nasty.  Let's shut the world out, because it makes us have to think, which might mean there's going to be a test later and some of us might flunk!

But we can have all sorts of violence on our movie screens, because it isn't real, it's all special effects and makeup and therefor can get a PG rating.  And if it doesn't refer to real life, but just to other movies, that bumps it down a little more and we can take our single-digit-aged kids to see it!

For that matter, let's not make dinner tonight, let's get something prefabricated that won't amaze our taste buds and make us realize that food can be an experience.  Let's sing songs with lyrics that have no content, just the same repeated words.  Better than that, can the melody, we can do quite well with just a rhythm track and a hook, something we can all dance to.  Well, maybe that kid in the wheelchair can't dance, but we'll ignore him because we might react with some kind of emotion, and we can't admit to that any more.

What a bunch of losers we're becoming.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful morning.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 01:08:57 AM »

BK, I too just finished watching THE YOUNG SAVAGES, which was a pleasant enough diversion.  Not great, but Burt Lancaster is usually worth the price of admission (which in this particular instance was free).

Sandwiches:  The Lovely Wife makes a lovely ham salad that I like to slather on a couple of pieces of bread until it's teeming off the sides and you must scoop up the remanents with a fork.

Victor's Deli has a lovely Turkey, Roast Beef, and cheese slathered in Thousand Island, piled high on wheat that I'm right fond of (one can get any kind of bread, wheat is my preference)...

And Huston's B-B-Q (Not quite in the same league as Dr. Hogly-Wogly's Tyler's Texas B-B-Q, but much, much closer) has a nice brisket sandwich...great sides of macaroni salad and baked beans

And macaroni salad as usually my side dish of choice...or a good potato salad -- one that's not to junked up with extra little adornments...I usually prefer some sort of chips with my sandwich as opposed to fries or something heavier...

There is a place out in Pasadena...either called The Top Hat or The High Hat or maybe just The Hat...anyway, something Hat...that serves a killer Hot Pastrami sandwich that no French loaf can contain.

At home, I'll do any kind of meat...roast beef, turkey, ham...always with a slice of cheese (low-fast Swiss preferably) slathered in either mustard or mayo...lettuce is okay, but hardly required and never so much that it becomes the prominent taste in the sandwich.  I love slices of raw onion on almost anything and can handle a couple of pickles on the creation as well.

BUT...never, never any TOMATOES!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 01:17:55 AM »

I haven't had it in ages, but I always love Philipe's French Dip sandwich downtown.  And my local Quickie's Pizza and Subs does a terrific Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 01:19:14 AM »

No, The Young Savages never reaches the potential it starts out with - a shame.  But I do love Frankenheimer from this period, and Lancaster is always great.  But what I really love about it is the score by David Amram.  Fantastic.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2004, 01:22:45 AM »

Sandwiches...At home... BUT...never, never any TOMATOES!
All right, I'll bite: it this because you don't like tomatoes, or you don't like the quality of tomatoes you find in the store?

(Der Brucer has a dozen tomato plants in pots, which already need repotting and staking, which will lead to untold glories of fresh tomatoes coming off the vine sometime during the summer!)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 01:24:11 AM »

I haven't had it in ages, but I always love Philipe's French Dip sandwich downtown.  And my local Quickie's Pizza and Subs does a terrific Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich.  
I never got to Philipe's.  My bad.  And I've yet to have a Steak in Philly.  Something to look forward to.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2004, 01:25:03 AM »

Time to wuss.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2004, 01:44:01 AM »

Well, I love Philly steak and cheese - usually from Arby's or some such place.

For myself, I like to make a chicken and roast beef sandwich on rye bread with American cheese slices and Hellman's mayo.  In season, I will add a tomato, and if I am feeling adventurous, I will also have dill pickles.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2004, 01:44:44 AM »

DRJOSE certainly had a story to tell....and I imagine that policeman had something to tell when his wife asked him later "What happened at work today?"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2004, 01:49:01 AM »

And here is your Allison Hayes Picture of the Week, featuring the infamous bed scene from Attack of the 50 Foot Woman.....  :P

Michael

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2004, 03:48:42 AM »

I enjoy Club Sandwiches, Philly Cheesestaks, French Dips and when I am in Montreal Smoke Meat Sandwhiches which are different from Pastrami and Corned Beef.

Side dishes: Rice Pilaf and I know I shouldn't eat them French Fries
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2004, 04:31:13 AM »

Good morning, all.  I'm still pondering the Tennessee Williams question from yesterday.  Williams was my preferred playwright from the post-war period over Arthur Miller because I felt that Williams was a poet who never gave too much of a damn about what someone else thought of his writing; Miller always seems ruled by middleclass morality and guilt.   His VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE aims at Greek tragedy, but he's too soft about the theme:  he makes Catherine Eddie's niece instead of his daughter, so Eddie's guilty of lusting after his brother's daughter rather than his own (much more Sophoclean).  Tennessee would have revelled in the suggestion of incest and VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE might have been a more honest play.  I think the only play of Miller's I admire is THE CRUCIBLE, in which his anger over the political scene keeps the play sizzling.

And audiences? Well, they are dumber, ruder in public, inconsiderate about candy wrappers, lateness, noise and an ability to hold much of a thought longer than a commercial break, probably the reason that so much playing on Broadway has a theme park mentality.  Since the classical education of this country has declined so badly, I doubt more than half of an audience watching A VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE even knew what Miller's play was indebted to.

More on sandwiches later.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2004, 04:44:25 AM »

With all the discussion of gas prices at the end of yesterday's post, I am so glad I don't have a car!!! We only have to fill up when we are on LI and this summer in August when we go back to Minnesota for the Great Minnesota Get Together (AKA The State Fair).

Ben

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2004, 04:47:55 AM »

Forgot to mention this. The lovely Miss June Taylor, of the same named June Taylor Dancers, has passed away.

Here is her obit from the NY Times.

June Taylor, 86, Dies; Created 'Gleason' Dances
By BEN SISARIO

Published: May 18, 2004

June Taylor, the Emmy-winning choreographer whose routines on "The Jackie Gleason Show" brought the chorus line into the television age, died on Sunday at a hospital in Miami, said her sister, Marilyn Gleason. She was 86 and lived in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Each week "The Jackie Gleason Show" opened with a number by the 16 high-kicking, wide-smiling young women of the June Taylor Dancers. Their routines, created by Ms. Taylor, were intricate, expensive and wholesome-looking updates of the classic Broadway chorus lines.

To accommodate the square format of television, the dancers were often shot from above, resulting in kaleidoscopic patterns of limbs that recalled the films of Busby Berkeley.

Besides the three-minute numbers that opened each show, Ms. Taylor also choreographed longer routines for special broadcasts. In 1953 Gleason and Ms. Taylor collaborated on "Tawny," a ballet of more than 20 minutes with music by Gleason. A review by Jack Gould in The New York Times said the piece cost a reported $30,000 to produce. "Every penny was well spent," he wrote, "for here was popular commercial television displaying artistic vision and imagination."

Ms. Taylor won an Emmy Award for her choreography on "The Jackie Gleason Show" in 1955.

Born in Chicago, Ms. Taylor was a seasoned nightclub dancer when her career was derailed by tuberculosis at age 20. She turned to choreography, hitting the road with her own company. She met Gleason, then a little-known comedian, at a Baltimore nightclub in 1946.
Ms. Taylor began working on television in 1948 on Ed Sullivan's "Toast of the Town" and later worked on "Cavalcade of Stars," which Gleason joined in 1950. "The Jackie Gleason Show" began in 1952 and ran until 1959; it returned to television in 1962 and ran until 1970. Gleason moved his show in 1964 from New York to Miami, where he could play golf all year long, and Ms. Taylor remained in Florida after the show ended. In 1978 she was invited by the Miami Dolphins football team to direct the team's cheerleaders. She turned her demanding techniques to the squad. She also favored costumes that were throwbacks to her earlier days. The Dolphins' Web site says that it was not until Ms. Taylor retired in 1990 that the women updated their uniforms with, for example, sneakers while they were on the sidelines.

Besides her sister, of Fort Lauderdale, who married Gleason in 1975, Ms. Taylor is survived by a nephew, Craig Horwich of Chicago. Her husband, Sol Lerner, died in 1986.

Ms. Taylor often spoke of television's demands on dance. "One of the first things I learned in television was the necessity of varying the style of the dancing each week," she said in an interview in 1953. "People want something new. My girls, I believe, are the best hoofers in the business. They know tap, ballet, classical ballet, toe work, modern and acrobatic dancing."
Mrs. Gleason, who was a dancer in her sister's group, remarked that speed was a necessity. "We were on television," she said yesterday, "and we had to move fast. The only comparison was the Rockettes, but we danced four times faster than they did."

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2004, 05:46:06 AM »

Favorite sandwich?

Restaurant: Pastrami on rye at the Stage Deli in New York. (Waitress: "Here ya go, baldy.")

(Second choice: Chock Full O' Nuts' cream cheese-and-walnuts on date-nut bread.)

Homemade: Good cheddar cheese, fresh tomato, salt and pepper, on a poppyseed kaiser roll.

(Second choice: Cream cheese and lox on a really chewy bagel.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 05:49:13 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2004, 05:57:12 AM »

I'm not much of a sandwich eater either. At home I prepare meals for myself (amazing how proficient ones gets at cooking for one after so many years) rather than sandwiches.

The one sandwich we've talked about before here that I will make for myself when I need comfort food is a butter and peanut butter sandwich.

Again, when I go out, unless it's a fast food burger, I'll generally get a meal rather than a sandwich, but at places where sandwiches are the meals, I really do like a club sandwich. There is a sports bar here in town (yes, I do go there occasionally with friends) that serves a wonderful club sandwich.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2004, 06:09:47 AM »

One of the things I most dislike about my job is the location in center city Philadelphia, where there is nothing but sandwich shops to get a take-out lunch.  I've consumed way too much bread since I started working in this area.  That being said, I would have to say that my favorite sandwich from a near-by deli is smoked turkey and smoked mozzerella with deep green lettuce, tomatoes and thousand island dressing on a French bagette.

When I was in grammar school and I was coming home everyday for lunch, I always made the same sandwich for myself.  I would take a long kaiser roll and open it (but not completely slice it apart) and dig out a trench on the top half.  i would smear the bottom half with mayo and lay about 5 or 6 slices of spiced ham on it.  Then I would take two or three slices of munchee cheese, slath on a thick layer of Guldens mustard and roll them up like a jellyroll and lay them in the trench in the roll.  Then I would grab a can of Shop-Rite cream sode and sit in front of the TV and watch my favorite game show at the time.  I can't remember the name of it, but it was a quiz show where the daily winner was given a car key and had to pick among five vehicles to see which one would start.  But I digress...

I also liked peanut butter and cream cheese sandwiches.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2004, 06:24:22 AM »

June Taylor was not the only death.  Anna Lee, the beautiful English actress passed away at age 91.  Although she has worked regularly in  this country for sixty years (and in England before that) she is best known for three roles: Bronwyn in HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY, a nun in the film version of SOUND OF MUSIC, and Lila Quartermaine for over 20 years on GENERAL HOSPITAL.  She was supposed to receive a special Emmy this Friday along with nine other daytime drama stars.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 06:25:17 AM by William E. Lurie »
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2004, 06:30:43 AM »

I also liked peanut butter and cream cheese sandwiches.

And I thought my Dear Partner John was the only one who ate peanut butter and cream cheese!  (usually on a bagel....)

My fave sandwiches:

From childhood:  American Cheese and Strawberry Preserves on white bread.

From Brooklyn:  Adelman's Deli on Kings Highway, Pastrami, Corned Beef and Tongue on REAL Jewish Rye with Cole Slaw (on the sandwich itself), and russian dressing.  With a Dr. Brown's Cream Soda.  Heaven.

Lately, Thanksigiving (or any other big Turkey-making holiday) is only half as anticipated as the club sandwiches that follow.  They must be triple deckers; they must include dressing/stuffing in the sandwich itself, as well as Hellman's mayo (Best Foods, for you west coasters); and they should also inlcude a smear of cranberry sauce on one of the mayo'd pieces of toast.  For me they also include turkey or veggie bacon, since I do not eat pork products.  Yum!

Favorite side dishes depend on what the entree is.  I don't care for cole slaw, except for its use in the above referenced repast, and am not a big fan of mashed potatoes.  I do love rice dishes, and am particularly enthralled with green bean casserole.  And I do like most veggies, which are side dishes as well.  Except if you are vegetarian, I suppose.  In which case they are the meal.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2004, 06:49:16 AM »

My favorite side dish, absolutely terrible for you of course, is french fried onion rings. There is a restaurant here in Charlotte called the Landmark that does the best fried onion rings I've ever had. Many a night after doing a show, the cast would head to Landmark, and I'd get iced tea and a basket of fried onion rings. Sheer heaven.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2004, 06:59:20 AM »

French fries are probably my favorite side dish.  

PANNI I did a quick search for postcards on EBAY and the market doesn't seem extremely high except for unusual cards.  Since they are small and easy to store (maybe a shoebox) you might do well to save them.  In fact, I have written entire stories about a photo on a postcard, and they can be great for meditation.

MATTH I wasn't the one who nodded to you on your Tim Considine mention yesterday, BUT I share your enthusiasm, and I think it was TCB.  As I have written before....Tim is a race car fan and when he is in Indy he usually stays with an actor friend of mine, and in fact came to see him in a play several seasons ago.  I was at the theatre rehearsing another show, or stage managing (forget which), but couldn't quite figure out which audience member he was.  I finally decided he didn't show, but my frim Tom introduced me afterwards.  He is shorter than I thought, and at the time he had a handle bar moustache, but when he talked I recognized him immediately.  And when I asked him, he said kissing Annette was great!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2004, 07:01:06 AM »

Right now on AMC Hope Lange in Wild In the Country and on TCM Hope Lange in Pocketful of Miracles.....strange..........

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2004, 07:04:07 AM »

I forgot about my favorite side dish.  My absolutely favorite was my dad's potato and macaroni salads.  He was able to chop up the potatoes and celery and onions and sweet pickles to just the right size.  He added the perfect amount of mayo and salt, pepper and dill weed.  All of it hand mixed.  None of us kids (or mom) have been able to replicate these salads exactly.

I'm also fond of a side that's sold at a local deli--mini pasta shells with spinach and feta with a light oil dressing.  I think I could eat a pint of this stuff.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2004, 07:21:17 AM »

I hate to be the bearer of sad tidings, but I just heard Tony Randall passed away.  No details yet.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up