Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: YESTERDAY'S PETTY ANNOYANCES  (Read 35396 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:YESTERDAY'S PETTY ANNOYANCES
« Reply #240 on: May 18, 2004, 09:43:26 PM »

I love raspberry jam.  In fact I love raspberries!

Now, before the Raspberry Lobbyists of America begin picketing in front of my apartment building, I want to make it clear that I, at no time, made any negative comments regarding raspberries or raspberry jam!  My attack was leveled purely at strawberry jam, grape jelly, and, the totally un-American, orange marmalade.

Heaven knows, I have spent many a lonely weekend with a jar of raspberry jam!

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #241 on: May 18, 2004, 09:43:34 PM »

Good Evening!

Wow, what a lovely bunch of posts to come home to after the show!

It's been sort of a long day for me today.  I started off with some rehearsals for the show.  We have a cast member leaving at the end of this week - he just got cast as Pepper in the first national tour of Mamma Mia! - so his replacement came in today, and I spent a good two or so hours teaching - and cramming - the music to him.  We got through all but the last two numbers... But he was in the concert of the presentation they did of Children of Eden last winter(?) in NYC, so he was already familiar with some of his harmony parts.  We have some more time set over the next few days, but he's essentially learning his track in about 15 hours of rehearsal!  I do not envy him.  As Jed will attest to, the ensemble does a lot of work in this show.

Then came dinner, and my timing was good in regards to a sudden major downpour which I watched from the restaurant window.

Then the show... Good show.  We did, however, have a little electrical/MIDI gremlin at the top of the second act, but we got that fixed eventually.  -But it was sort of fun listening to the various sounds that were coming out of the sequencer as the conductor was trying to dial up the right settings!

In other news...

Welcome back, Jason!  -And, yes, I will be one of the "witnesses" to the craziness of your life and schedule over the past few months.

DR MattH - The local NBC affiliate here in DC did a nice feature on Christopher Meloni tonight since he grew up in the area.  They talked about his high school days, and his considerable high school football career.  Very nice story.

As for pies - I don't think I've ever met a pie I did not like.  Cream pies are a fave.  As are good pecan pies - which are surprisingly hard to find.  My favorite Greek restaurant in Richmond will sometimes have an amazing pumpkin cheesecake around the holidays.  However, the "cheese pie" is simply amazing - surprisingly light, and the flavors are surprisingly clear (in spite of the cheese).  It's made with a cheese similar to ricotta as well as drained yogurt.  Usually it's flavored with bits of citron and almonds.  YUMMY!!!

RE: Paige Davis coming into Chicago - Paige Davis started off on Broadway - she was a Beauty & the Beast Belle for a while.  So... She's just coming back to where she belongs.  I've played for her a time or two at auditions - years ago - she's very talented.

*Actually, the host of TLC's "In A Fix" and the Discovery Channel's "Monster Garage" are also former Broadway gypsies.

"A Wedding Story" did a nice episode on Paige Davis about two years ago.  They showed some nice clips from her time in B&B.  As well as some nice footage of her very handsome husband.  ;)

RE: Frenchie Davis touring in Dreamgirls... The tour, if I remember correctly, was a limited run, and only on the West Coast - maybe even just within California.

Well, I think that was everything... for now...

Oh, I do like the pies at Village Inn, but they don't have them around these here parts.  Oh, and the pies at Perkins aren't bad either.  -And then, of course, and unfortunately, there are those mini-pies at the grocery store - usually Wal-Mart - that cost about a $1.00 and seem to call my name around 1:00AM (while I'm shopping there - I do NOT go there for the pies alone!!)... Chocolate Eclair pies... hmmm... Sometimes "artificial everything" will just have to do...  :P
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #242 on: May 18, 2004, 09:51:21 PM »

Oh, I'm sure there are wonderful cole slaws to be had out there somewhere, but I certainly haven't come across any yet.

My dear son, neither Ellensburg or Wenatchee have ever been described as one of the culinary capitals of the world.
“One thing’s universal,

Jason

« Reply #243 on: May 18, 2004, 09:52:05 PM »

Food: One of the reasons I love HHW...all we do is talk about food!

I'm a huge fan of the triple-decker turkey club with extra bacon. Of course, I don't really eat those anymore, but they are SO tasty.  I'm also a big fan of the Au Poivre burger from Island Burger in Manhattan. It's a tad pricy, but soooo worth it. I love a good fried egg sandwich, and my special concoction--the peanut butter/banana/Miracle Whip sandwich. YUM!! Sandra can appreciate my odd tastes, I'm sure.

Thank you all for your "welcomes."  It's nice to be back.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #244 on: May 18, 2004, 10:01:22 PM »

So nice to see DRJASON back on HHW!!  Hurray!  Now if we could only find DRLuLu!

I am so depressed, I am horrified, I am miserable.  Why, you ask?  Why?

I have just watched WB SUPERSTAR.  Of course it is a LOT like seeing auditions for community theatre.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #245 on: May 18, 2004, 10:02:33 PM »

MBARNUM have a nice Wednesday off.

DRPANNI - I could have told you that Goddess Leslie Parrish is surrounded by minions - I have been looking for her for nearly 18 months for Mr BK.   You have an edge being in the Entertainment Capital of the World - I pass the torch to you!  Good luck!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #246 on: May 18, 2004, 10:10:41 PM »

OHH!!

DR SWW - That line of Peanut Better had a nice write up in the Washington Post a few months ago.  Very nice.  And they really are great for marinades - at least the savory ones.  And the Dark Chocolate works wonderfully for a non-traditional s'more!

Oh, and as for french fries... There are some nice Belgian "frites" places in NYC.  I liked the one just north of Times Square, but it's either still closed for remodeling or just closed.  :( -But I do like mayo - and flavored mayos - and/or malt vinegar on my fries too!
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #247 on: May 18, 2004, 10:12:14 PM »

Jason!

Welcome home.
[/color]
“One thing’s universal,

Jason

« Reply #248 on: May 18, 2004, 10:12:58 PM »

Like JRand, as a singer, WB SUPERSTAR makes me sick to my stomach. For one thing, they have completely misled some very unsuspecting, untalented people only to eventually break their hearts. There is no other purpose for that show BUT to break their hearts and humiliate them on national TV. Secondly, I know how hard it is to go into an audition and want to do the best you can, and for those singers who actually HAD talent and were told they were bad I feel absolutely horrible! Auditions are demeaning and destructive even when you get a simple "thank you," but to be told "You stink" is a singer's worst nightmare. What is the good in fooling people into embarrassing themselves on television? Perhaps I'm a prude, but I didn't find the humor in it at all. I thought it distasteful and heartless. And now I will step down from my soapbox and let you all know that on Thursday I met the one and only Mr. Mel Brooks. He came into the MTI office to discuss licensing info for THE PRODUCERS. He's very small...and very kind. I also got to meet Ms. Didi "Beauty School Dropout" Conn a few days before that. Again, a lovely woman...so sweet.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #249 on: May 18, 2004, 10:17:57 PM »

DR JASON, what color was Didi's hair...she of course also starred in the fabulous YOU LIGHT UP MY LIFE!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #250 on: May 18, 2004, 10:20:17 PM »

Welcome back, Jason. It's so nice to have you back where you belong! (A Hello Dolly reference)

Re peanut butter: not particularly fond of it, but when I have it, chunky.

Re sandwiches: Not a picky eater. I like most everything. DR Sandra's Pony Espresso sandwich up in Wickenburg, AZ, is very tasty.

Re Superstar show: Didn't see it (no tv). You don't need to tune into tv to enjoy bad singing. Just sign up at your local community college in the voice class. I know; I was one of them.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jason

« Reply #251 on: May 18, 2004, 10:21:20 PM »

Didi's hair was a lovely shade of brown... I was so hoping for the Easter Egg Pink, but no such luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #252 on: May 18, 2004, 10:27:31 PM »

-I was also surprised to read that ABC cancelled "It's All Relative" - unless I read the article wrong.  I know the writing was not the best, but, heck, ABC put it up against "American Idol"!?!?!?  What show could possible do well against that competition?!?!?  But, hey, maybe Christopher Sieber will do more shows... and at least him and Kevin can enjoy their beautiful home together.  -They are really such very nice guys, and it was nice to see them on the cover of "The Advocate" a couple of weeks ago regarding the gay marriage issue.  -And their Batman and Robin routine at Broadway Bares...  ;D :o ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #253 on: May 18, 2004, 10:31:02 PM »

Peanut Butter?  There is only one..........

JIF EXTRA CRUNCHY
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #254 on: May 18, 2004, 10:36:23 PM »

We are cookin' with gas.  I was a good boy and didn't wander over to In and Out.  Of course, the evening is still young, which is more than I can say.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #255 on: May 18, 2004, 10:41:47 PM »

Heaven knows, I have spent many a lonely weekend with a jar of raspberry jam!

Hmmmm... normally, if I had said something like this I would have asked, "TCB?  Care to add anything?"  But since DR TCB is the author of this quote... hmm....  So...

Was it a big jar?

Was the lid hard to get off?

Was it seedless raspberry jam?

Was there even jam in the jar?

:o

-OK, I think I'll stop now... Remember there is no groaning allowed here at HHW!

-Yes, it's late here on the east coast...

;D

:-X

Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #256 on: May 18, 2004, 10:45:25 PM »

Dear DR Panni (and everyone else): Peanut Better has a website, of course.  Just drop by www.peanutbetter.com for product info, recipes, the works!  Something I didn't know: their better butters are also parve, which makes them even better better butters.  And they're also low in carbs.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #257 on: May 18, 2004, 10:46:17 PM »

OOHHH!!!! Of course, I forgot the obvious...

Forget the jar, what did you do with the jam?

-yes, I think I may have crossed over that proverbial line... hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #258 on: May 18, 2004, 10:54:35 PM »

...It's Hellman's in the east, Best Foods in the west
and I've always believed it's because they thought they could not sell mayonaisse with a Jewish name in the west.
Not likely.  According to the Hellmann's company history at their own website, (quoting of course):

At the same time that Hellmann's® Mayonnaise was flourishing in the east, Best Foods, Inc., introduced mayonnaise to Californian consumers. As Hellmann's® expanded on the east coast, Best Foods® proved to be a smashing success in the west. It was nearly inevitable then, that in 1932, Richard Hellmann Inc., was acquired by Best Foods, Inc. To this day, Hellmann's® Mayonnaise is sold east of the Rockies and Best Foods® Mayonnaise is sold west.

So, if Best Foods bought out Hellmann's, it would have been more logical for them to change the name nationally to Best Foods, right?  But they didn't.

(For what it's worth, the Hellmann's (spelled with two "n"s) and Best Foods websites are mirrors of each other.  If any of the Westies are uncomfortable with the different name, just go to the Best Foods site instead.)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 10:57:03 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #259 on: May 18, 2004, 10:57:43 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]WELCOME BACK, JASON!![/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #260 on: May 18, 2004, 10:58:40 PM »

Not likely.  According to the Hellmann's company history at their own website, (quoting of course):

At the same time that Hellmann's® Mayonnaise was flourishing in the east, Best Foods, Inc., introduced mayonnaise to Californian consumers. As Hellmann's® expanded on the east coast, Best Foods® proved to be a smashing success in the west. It was nearly inevitable then, that in 1932, Richard Hellmann Inc., was acquired by Best Foods, Inc. To this day, Hellmann's® Mayonnaise is sold east of the Rockies and Best Foods® Mayonnaise is sold west.

So, if Best Foods bought out Hellmann's, it would have been more logical for them to change the name nationally to Best Foods, right?  But they didn't.

(For what it's worth, the Hellmann's (spelled with two "n"s) and Best Foods websites are mirrors of each other.  If any of the Westies are uncomfortable with the different name, just go to the Best Foods site instead.)

Isn't there a similar arrangement with Dreyer's and Edy's Ice Cream?
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #261 on: May 18, 2004, 11:02:56 PM »

Isn't there a similar arrangement with Dreyer's and Edy's Ice Cream?
Probably, but I'll save that research for another day.  (Are der Brucer and I the only ones who know how to use search engines around here?   :-\ ::))

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #262 on: May 18, 2004, 11:03:50 PM »

OK... Rehearsal in 12 hours...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2004, 11:06:50 PM »

DR PANNI I just found Bookworm and got up to 37,790 before I burned my library down!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #264 on: May 18, 2004, 11:09:10 PM »

Your hair looks nice, MR BK.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #265 on: May 18, 2004, 11:31:15 PM »

DR PANNI I just found Bookworm and got up to 37,790 before I burned my library down!

Yes, I was up there somewhere and burned the library down -- twice.
I hang my head in shame.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #266 on: May 18, 2004, 11:33:28 PM »

I'm a free cell man myself.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #267 on: May 18, 2004, 11:34:30 PM »

I'm sooooo hungry.  Thankfully, I put the car away, otherwise I'd be on the road to In and Out.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #268 on: May 18, 2004, 11:34:52 PM »

Dear DR Panni (and everyone else): Peanut Better has a website, of course.  Just drop by www.peanutbetter.com for product info, recipes, the works!

Thanks, SWW! I just visited the site. Put it among favorite places.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #269 on: May 18, 2004, 11:35:39 PM »

Did I mention that I like Club Sandwiches, too?  I used to be quite hooked on them.  And I do love a good lean hot Sky High corned beef sandwich with cole slaw and Russian dressing on it.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up