Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TICKLING MY FANCY  (Read 27140 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:TICKLING MY FANCY
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2004, 01:32:39 PM »

I didn't watch either of the reality premieres last night either. They were both extended to 90 minutes, and I just didn't feel like watching them at that length. I will more than likely watch THE AMAZING RACE starting next week as it settles into its standard one hour format. BIG BROTHER is one of those shows that you can check in on once a week and get easily caught up on.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2004, 01:34:18 PM »

Since I've had my CHAN fix for the day, I'll have to find something else to enjoy tonight given that only RENO 911! is not a rerun (of the shows I regularly watch, that is). Just don't know what I'm in the mood for.

Oh, I know. THE DOLLY SISTERS is coming on the Fox Movie Channel at 6 tonight. That's a must!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2004, 01:37:55 PM »

What fun Plan B is beginning to be!

I think we should now call it Plan Be!  Because it is the Plan that be!

NOW...here is a question.  The actress playing Mrs. Banks in FATHER OF THE BRIDE is thin and tall....the dress she is wearing for her "wedding departure" scene looks like Loretta Lynn's dress to me.

In checking online, nowadays....most Mother of the Bride ensembles include a jacket or shawl....is this the case?  And what should I tell her to get her out of Nashville and into something pretty....I know I have a few choices in the costume shop!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2004, 01:44:53 PM »

Jane, we can go to the theatre, because my wife can sleep on the plane and I get a second wind once I hit the ground.  Just the energy of being there keeps me pumped up.  Also because plays start at 7:15 or 7:30 and are usually over at 10-10:30. I also will not fly coach overseas...always business class.  With air miles and twofers, we've always been able to do it economically.  Comfort is important to rest.

The longer you can stay up on their time on your first day, the better for the adjustment.  So even if we don't go to a play the first night we still try to stay up till around eleven.

Jet lag usually hits us the second or third day, but we compensate, by coming back to the flat around four or five in the afternoon and taking a brief nap before the theatre.  We also don't overcrowd our schedule with events.  We've now been there so often that we don't feel compelled to be tourists and pretty much just live.  We prefer a flat to an hotel.  That way we grocery shop (yea! Tesco!) and eat most meals in and save time and have very casual pace.  

Everything is really geared to seeing as many plays as possible, so the days are very laidback and easy.  We also stay right in the heart of the West End theatre district, so most everything we want to do is within easy walking distance or a quick cab ride.  But we think nothing of walking from the Covent Garden area, where we stay, to Tower Bridge, Camden Market, or Portobello Road.  Just a good stretch of the legs.  

There is nothing more romantic than strolling down the Strand and crossing Waterloo Bridge over to the National theatre at night with St. Paul's on one side, with Big Ben and Houses of Parliament on the other.  Afterwards, we stroll along the South Bank cross over the Westminster Bridge past Big Ben and the statue of Bodicea, up Whitehall, the seat of government (though sometimes we go via St. James Park -- our favourite), through Trafalgar on the way home again.

Still you have those days where you're wide awake at four in the morning.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 01:56:18 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2004, 01:54:25 PM »

LOL.....DRCP - I was only in London once...and would love to go back!  We saw LETTICE & LOVAGE and walked and walked.  What surprised me is that all of the wonderful things you see on postcards - Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Parliament.....all of these things are in the middle of this big city....not out in the country.  You turn a corner, and there is another historic place.  And I loved seeing the guards in their red jackets and tall black hats!

.....Eros stands in Picadilly Circus....Nelson stands in Trafalgar Square....

Hey...I got the lyrics right this time!

Charles Pogue

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2004, 02:03:45 PM »

Yes, every step you take in London is steeped in centuries of history!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2004, 02:21:11 PM »

But don't forget to look to the right when you step off the sidewalk!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #67 on: July 07, 2004, 02:26:57 PM »

And in London, there's Sweeney Todd's Fleet Street and the Jack the Ripper Walk and the Tower of London, etc. ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 02:27:17 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #68 on: July 07, 2004, 02:28:19 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?  This is slower than the worst holiday weekend.  Questions, you dear, dear people.  I'm frantically trying to hire people and book people and to that end I'm happy to inform you that our very own dear reader Jose will be on his way to LA tomorrow to be involved in Plan B.

So the Plan B is definite?  Congratulations to Jose and Tammy and BK!!  So, BK...will there be a cast album?? :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: July 07, 2004, 02:36:36 PM »

Plan Be!!!!!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2004, 02:43:29 PM »

Plan Be sounds very intriguing...I can't wait to hear more about it

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2004, 02:46:13 PM »

Plan B is definitely definite.  Don't want to give too much away at this point, other than we're all going to have to work like madmen to make it all happen in time.  I can say that it does involve music, and that joining Tammy will be our very own Alet Taylor, along with three other cast members, whom I'm currently trying to cast.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2004, 02:50:27 PM »

We finally took the Jack the Ripper Walk the last time we were there.  Our guide was Donald Rumbelow who wrote the definitive book, The Complete Jack the Ripper.

And I always look right, but I also look left out of habit too.  My head is swivelling back and forth. The big arrows in the road pointing out the right direction help.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2004, 03:01:08 PM »

A question for DR Charles,

What's the source of the Frank Loesser quotation under your photo? And what's the context? Thanks.

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2004, 03:01:43 PM »

Back from the zoo and we had a swell time, me, my sister Sue and my grand-neice Taylor. Taylor and Sue are both taking naps now.

Jennifer, I did watch Big Brother last night but taped The Amazing Race. Will try to watch it tonight or tomorrow night.

Tomovoz

« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2004, 03:02:24 PM »

TomfromOz: I just read about the "killer kangaroos" on CNN.com. You stay away from those things!
You can hear them singing "Joey Joey Joey" when they are threatened. The 'Roos in this neighbourhood are very friendly - even to DR Jose.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2004, 04:03:19 PM »

No posts for one hour.  I am getting out the bitch-slap machine and there will be some fancy-shmancy bitch-slapping going on here quite soon.  Questions.  We have answers but we can't give them unless we have questions.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2004, 04:10:52 PM »

Charles Pogue, business class really does make a difference.  Next time!  You make me long for England.  We enjoy a few days in the city then are ready for the countryside.  Last time we were there (years ago) we took the train to Cambridge.  While Keith worked I toured the town. :)

Danise

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2004, 04:16:13 PM »

Hi all!

Plan B.  Sounds like a BLAST!  How wonderful that it involves our very own DR Jose!  I think I like it "b"est just "b"ecause of that.   :)  

I'm hoping for a road show!

Did my fellow Star Trek fans see this?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/07/07/people.doohan.ap/index.html

I'm very sorry to hear this.  

I wish I had something interesting to share but I really don't.  So I guess I'll just say, "Have a nice evening all".  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2004, 04:37:08 PM »

Among other things I've done today, I've been proofreading a novel for a friend of mine, so I hope I will not be bitch-slapped for doing so. I like to proof through once, then look at my suggested corrections a few days later. Sometimes I change my mind.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2004, 04:55:35 PM »

I am all in favour of Plan BEE too. So what's the Buzz? A recording as well?

BK: Any news on ANY new BK produced recording. It seems to be such a long time since "Jeepers Creepers" and that wonderful Kritizerland Cd (The one with the free bonus book).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2004, 05:20:17 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, the storms passed over Richmond a few hours ago, but I've been in a whirlwind ever since then!  Well, at least my mind has been in a whirlwind when my body hasn't.

Yes, DRs, by this time tomorrow I will be in the City of Angels.  Thank You, BK!!!  Needless to say, I'm excited, and I'm sure once BK is able to share all the details about the project all you DRs will be (even more) excited!

So... I just got back from a nice dinner - and my friend, Mark, and his friend, John - happened to be supping at the same place.  I had a nice healthy and hearty portion of "Spaghetti a la Greek" (baked spaghetti topped with feta, romano and provolones cheeses with meat sauce) and a nice slice of chocolate mousse pie!  That should keep me fueled for the next couple of crazy hours.

-Speaking of all-nighters... Actually I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight.  I'll most likely get everything packed up here in Richmond around midnight, then make the drive up to Fairfax to my parents' house.  I'll most likely be checking out various things on the net all night, and then my sister-in-law will be driving me to Dulles for my flight out in the morning.  -Thank you, Jet Blue!!

I'm just trying to stay as calm as I can... And after thinking through a bunch of stuff, there is really not that much that I need to clean up, store, and/or organize here in Richmond.  My main mission tonight will be packing.  And, hopefully, packing light.  I just need to figure out if it will be worth clearing out my pantry stuff here in the kitchen, or just leaving instructions for my roomie to throw out things as they start to mold over and/or crawl out of the cupboard on their own.  ;)  I'll see where I am at whatever random time I decide I need to stop, for whatever reason, and I'll go from there.

So...

As for all-nighters...  There were a few times throughout college - and after college -where I just stayed up for at least 36 hours - and a few times where I stayed up at least 48 hours.  For me, an all-nighter just happens sometimes.  And, actually, they usually do occur during full moons.  -Ah, the power of suggestion.  Once I just realize that I won't be going to bed, my body just follows suit.  Sometimes I make up the sleep later on, sometimes not.  And there was that weekend after I got back from DC where I stayed up all-night on Friday, then slept Saturday, but ended up staying up again all-night Sunday-Monday.

OK - Well, I have some more e-mails and phone calls to take care of.  And packing.  And driving.  So...

Laters...

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2004, 05:22:53 PM »

Have a safe trip, DR Jose.

Bests ...

Tomovoz

« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2004, 05:28:04 PM »

Good Journey Jose. Magnus & Fosca say hello.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 05:28:38 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Robin

« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2004, 05:58:26 PM »

I've heard rumours to the effect that James Doohan was suffering from Alzheimers, but this is the unfortunate confirmation.  Back in the early eighties, when I was living on the East Coast and helping put together sci-fi/Star Trek conventions, I had the opportunity to meet him a half-dozen times, and he was always quite the charmer.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Danise

« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2004, 06:09:54 PM »

Robin,

I too have many stories I could tell about sci-fi cons I used to attend.  Just out of curiosity, have you ever heard of NecronomiCon or Stone Hill?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 06:10:25 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2004, 06:27:22 PM »

wow..only 85 posts by 6:26...it is kind of a slow day.  Today the kids and I painted t-shirts...it was fun.  Nothing much else to say.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2004, 06:40:00 PM »

Jose, have a good flight tomorrow.  Wish I were making a visit to LA while you are there.  Have fun.

Danise as you know Keith and I are Star Trek fans.  Sad news.

Ann I always enjoy reading what you do with the kids. :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2004, 06:53:43 PM »

The land of the great unwashed - Our hot water tank decided to end its days late yesterday with floods of hot water to wash the floor. Just what we don't need now (I know who does?) is more expense as we prepare for out next trip to Europe. Our clothes drier also has turned up its toes and there is not enough sunshine at this time for "natural" drying here. Time to remind ourselves that there are far worse problems.
Thought I should post something - other than the fact that I am listening to Aretha Franklin telling me that I'm all she needs to get by.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2004, 06:54:44 PM »

Aretha is now telling me about a Bridge over Troubled Waters - too late! I've already finished mopping.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up