Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: FORTY WHIPLASHES  (Read 43749 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:FORTY WHIPLASHES
« Reply #210 on: July 27, 2007, 02:16:17 PM »

Good afternoon, fellow Dear Readers.

I have long maintained that there are too many helicopters flying over town. If something happens in the neighborhood, the noise if deafening.

Well, about an hour and half ago, five news choppers and a police chopper were following a police chase. Two news choppers collided mid-air and all four people on board were killed.

I just heard about this on the news.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 02:19:01 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2007, 02:16:34 PM »

Luckily they crashed and burned in a park, which in the afternoon was pretty empty. I guess it could have been worse if there were lots of folks in the park.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #212 on: July 27, 2007, 02:18:37 PM »

The news also announced that Dick Cheney is having some procedure - tomorrow, I believe -involving his heart.  I can think of a lot of families with folk in Iraq who are convinced he never had a heart.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #213 on: July 27, 2007, 02:23:48 PM »

Truer words were never spoken!

I'm still wrapping my thoughts around the bit about Miss Piggy wrapped in a towel with absolutely nothing on underneath.

What?  Could you see knuckles and an elbow?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #214 on: July 27, 2007, 02:25:02 PM »

I'm still wrapping my thoughts around the bit about Miss Piggy wrapped in a towel with absolutely nothing on underneath.

What?  Could you see knuckles and an elbow?

I couldn't have meant that. Do you honestly think I was watching Miss Piggy in that scene?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2007, 02:28:54 PM »

I couldn't have meant that. Do you honestly think I was watching Miss Piggy in that scene?

LOL!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #216 on: July 27, 2007, 02:30:58 PM »

The news also announced that Dick Cheney is having some procedure - tomorrow, I believe -involving his heart.  I can think of a lot of families with folk in Iraq who are convinced he never had a heart.

My first thought!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #217 on: July 27, 2007, 02:32:03 PM »

I guess I'll head down now and read some more of THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE before turning the home theater back on.

I mopped the kitchen floor this morning, so that is one chore I won't have to worry about for another week.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Edisaurus

« Reply #218 on: July 27, 2007, 02:35:19 PM »

DR Jose makes a lot of great points and voices thoughts I had as well. I am all for self-promotion (obviously!) and I am glad that Noel has told us about his show, because I plan on seeing it while I'm in NY. I agree that he seems more "vigorous" about his promotion than others (I feel like I haven't heard much about STARFIGHTER at all!) but now that it's explained, it's perfectly understandable.

I like hearing the details of how the elements of the production come together, who is cast, etc. But as far as the writing of the show---that I would rather not know about because it clutters up my head with information that I don't want to know until after the fact. Then I can watch and appreciate the show with kind of a clean slate and not be thinking: "Oh, this is the song that was re-written 3 times, and then moved to Act II", etc.)

I think it wouldn't be an issue for me if I hadn't planned on seeing the show. And as an editor, I have to carry around hundreds of hours of material in my head about various projects I'm working on, and it doesn't seem to prioritize. It has to remember every version cut, every single shot that might be used, and it's hard to even dump out the old projects when they are done. So I would be carrying in a lot of pre-conceived ideas before I even saw the show.

I'm banking that having to remember things (like every piece of dialogue and shot from 3 seasons of THE CLOSER) is going to help ward off Alzheimer's!

Since others might like hearing these details about the plot and songs, maybe Noel could put them at the end of his posts, with a spoiler alert?

My $0.0325 (Atlanta inflation)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Julie

« Reply #219 on: July 27, 2007, 02:43:10 PM »

You got a pair of tongs and a BIC lighter?

I just got a box of matches and a forked stick.  ;)

;D

Julie

« Reply #220 on: July 27, 2007, 02:46:10 PM »

Catch you all later. Running out now to meet up with my friend Barbara for a bite to eat.

Miss Karen

« Reply #221 on: July 27, 2007, 02:47:24 PM »

And that little girl...grew up to become...Ann Coulter.

And now you know the rest of the story...

;D  

Miss Karen

« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2007, 02:48:24 PM »

You got a pair of tongs and a BIC lighter?

I just got a box of matches and a forked stick.  ;)

I got nothing ... :'(

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2007, 02:51:39 PM »

I know that since we did the staged reading of The Brain, I've talked a lot about its progress and the journey, but I do like to keep it amorphous and not detailed at all.   The writing process is fascinating to those who do it, but when it's discussed too much then the writing begins to lose its magic because people have too much information - in the same way that movies have lost their magic because of these stupid extras that give away everything.  I don't CARE how they did the FX, because the magic of them is that they ARE magic, until you know - then they cease to be magic.  That's why magicians never give away their secrets.  

Even when I'm mentoring this guy, I don't tell him how I go about things - I just speak in terms of craft and technique - my stuff is my business - if someone has specific questions, I'll answer them, but I don't go out of my way to discuss how I do things.  SPOILER AHEAD FOR THOSE WHO LOVE THE KRITZER BOOKS BUT DON'T WANT TO KNOW TOO MUCH ALTHOUGH I'LL BE NON-SPECIFIC:

There is one aspect of all three books that people love and love a lot.  And the few people who've pressed me about what's fiction and non are always disappointed (they try not to show it, but I see it clearly) that one of their favorite aspects of the book, while based loosely in truth, is mostly fiction.  What that means is I did my job as a writer and everyone believes everything in the books is real.  But, not everything in the books is real, and people are better off not knowing the specifics of what is and what isn't.

I do think it amazingly amazing that three hainsies/kimlets have shows at NYMF this year - what are the odds of THAT?  Even though dear reader Noel was absent for quite a long time, I'm glad he's back.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #224 on: July 27, 2007, 03:00:10 PM »

Perhaps he's having an implant...just to see what it's like (you know, for "shits and grins", to coin a phrase).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #225 on: July 27, 2007, 03:01:09 PM »

Lindsay Lohan's driving me mad.  Why isn't she just euthanized for terminal stupidity?

Edisaurus

« Reply #226 on: July 27, 2007, 03:02:51 PM »

There is one aspect of all three books that people love and love a lot.  And the few people who've pressed me about what's fiction and non are always disappointed (they try not to show it, but I see it clearly) that one of their favorite aspects of the book, while based loosely in truth, is mostly fiction.

What?!? You mean there was no salami hanging on the front porch?

I am bitterly disappointed...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2007, 03:03:11 PM »

I think I'm actually through for the day!  I finished carefully proofing for what I hope will be the last time.  On Tuesday night we'll enter this final set of corrections and as we do each we'll check that nothing else gets screwed up on that particular page.  Then we move on and do the same on each page.  There really aren't all that many, and it should take about ninety minutes to do.  I have to now write the dedication and the acknowledgments, and decide if I just want to go with Pogue's blurb or try to get another one quickly.

Edisaurus

« Reply #228 on: July 27, 2007, 03:04:08 PM »

DR Jason---I think your co-worker succeeded in making himself look like a jerk to your boss. I'm glad you were able to take the high ground!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2007, 03:08:05 PM »

It's been cool in the home environment, as always, up until about two.  Now it's broiling.  Guess I'll have to turn on the air.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2007, 03:09:02 PM »

I've shipped stuff, I've organized some more, I've filled out a few forms that needed filling out, signed a contract with our General Manager, and am playing a nice Jobim compilation of his Warner Bros. years.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2007, 03:09:23 PM »

Tonight I will indeed be seeing a new documentary.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: July 27, 2007, 03:09:49 PM »

Still looking for a sublet.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #233 on: July 27, 2007, 03:09:58 PM »

The suspect in the car chase has barricaded himself in a house.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #234 on: July 27, 2007, 03:10:06 PM »

I am my own frenzy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #235 on: July 27, 2007, 03:10:18 PM »

Will we never get to page nine?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #236 on: July 27, 2007, 03:10:34 PM »

I will single-handedly take us to page nine.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #237 on: July 27, 2007, 03:10:51 PM »

Only had one envelope today.  Expecting a couple more.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #238 on: July 27, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »

When?

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #239 on: July 27, 2007, 03:11:06 PM »

TOD: Wing warbled to me today while I worked at the office.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up