Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SATURDAY REPORT  (Read 15939 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE SATURDAY REPORT
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2004, 11:12:57 AM »

Page Two Dance!

Wait a sec, is it legal to dance on Sunday?

:o

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]tiptoe through the tulips...[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2004, 11:13:13 AM »

And one for Mahler.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2004, 11:19:39 AM »

Here's a question for the rest of the DRs:

Have you ever had a job where you had to be "on call," where your employer "might" need you so instead of having a day off either you had to call in or they would call you?

I'm "on call" on Sundays, have been for the last few weeks.  It's supposed to be that I'm on call in case the store is flooded with customers, more than the usual Sunday staff of two can handle.  Instead, we're having trouble with one of the other clerks, who is having trouble finding a babysitter for her son.  (The kid is about six - shouldn't that be "ladsitter" instead of the demeaning "babysitter"?)  Last week she couldn't make it in at all, today she is leaving early.

It's good for me, because I get more hours (and pay) (and a good rep at work), but I'm feeling bad for the other clerk, because she's getting stuck with fewer hours (and a not-very-good rep).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2004, 11:20:41 AM »

And, since I'm about to head to work, I wish you all a good...whatever you need good wishes about.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2004, 11:33:00 AM »

Bruce, three’s a charm and may each continuous night be as exciting.  I’m also hoping for an extended run.  If you do take the show to NY, aim for the second two weeks of October.  

td, wear comfortable shoes-my goodness that is a long day.  I hope you get a few breaks.

It has been years since I have seen Bonnie Franklin.  If she is in one of those photos don’t recognize her.  I do see a woman with very red hair?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2004, 11:33:52 AM »

For those who didn't see the photo link Panni posted, check out the second to last page of last night's posts (I also cut and pasted a couple of the photos into my posts on the last page of last night's posts).

Here it is again so you don't have to search for it:

WHAT IF? OPENING NIGHT PHOTOS

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2004, 11:45:25 AM »

Good Morning!

Sleep?  Hmm.. Sleep!  -And I had a good night's sleep myself last night too.  HOWEVER, I'm actually wondering just how much I'll allow myself to sleep in tomorrow...???  It will either be one of those days where I end up getting up around 7:30-8:00am, and then having a semi-to-very productice day, or it will be one of those where I'll find myself looking at the clock radio... and it says it's already 2:30pm!  -It could happen!  -Hmmm.. Maybe we could have a sort of "What Time Will Jose Wake Up On Monday? Pool"! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2004, 11:51:17 AM »

Both Jose and I forgot to mention that I changed his curtain call last night and he now leaves the piano and bows with the company's final bow.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2004, 11:51:39 AM »

RE: Being On Call - When I'm the "local sub" for a touring show, technically, I'm on call for the run of the show at that time.  Most of the time, there is already some sort of rotation schedule in place, and I'm given the go ahead to "not" show up at a certain performance(s).  However, emergencies do - and have - arisen, and I've received calls a few hours before curtain to come on in to play that evening.

*And depending upon the contract rider, sometimes I'm only paid for when I show up, but sometimes I'm paid as if I've played the whole week - regardless of how many - or few - of the shows I've played.

Well, I need to run an errand before the matinee... And I may be back late tonight since I may catch a movie with a friend in Hollywood after the show this afternoon.

Laters..
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2004, 11:53:23 AM »

Both Jose and I forgot to mention that I changed his curtain call last night and he now leaves the piano and bows with the company's final bow.

...And Jose now makes sure his fly is up at intermission!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2004, 11:54:05 AM »

Have you ever had a job where you had to be "on call," where your employer "might" need you so instead of having a day off either you had to call in or they would call you?

I'm "on call" on Sundays, have been for the last few weeks.  It's supposed to be that I'm on call in case the store is flooded with customers, more than the usual Sunday staff of two can handle.  Instead, we're having trouble with one of the other clerks, who is having trouble finding a babysitter for her son.  (The kid is about six - shouldn't that be "ladsitter" instead of the demeaning "babysitter"?)  Last week she couldn't make it in at all, today she is leaving early.

My father was an old fashioned GP.  He was always on call and we grew up with the knowledge any planned activity might not happen. Knowing someone was sick and needed him we were disappointed but understanding of the situation.  I do remember on occasion my father having to cancel our fun for a patient with a tendency to overreact but the majority of his house calls could be managed with a stop on the way.  Most often the calls happened at night.  

Poor “other clerk”.  It has to be tough when need to work but can’t get a sitter.  I expect work will only tolerate the situation until the holiday rush begins.

Jane

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2004, 11:56:26 AM »

Happy news and we must have a photo of this! :)

Panni

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2004, 12:11:18 PM »

A much deserved bow, may I add! He does a great job.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2004, 12:51:39 PM »

I'm on my way to the theater, but might I just say this will NOT do, oh, no, this will NOT do.  You'd think it was a Sunday afternoon or something.  Let us get a frenzy goin' on, shall we, so that I don't have to come back later and bitch-slap everyone from here to eternity and hell and back.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2004, 01:05:51 PM »

I'm here, but I'm scanning some pictures for my sister.  So, that's my post.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2004, 01:12:51 PM »

I, too, have been indulging in large gobs of sleep this weekend.  It's very good to have the summer program behind me, and, while I've picked up two cabaret acts to do in the remaining weeks of August, neither is full length.  Each involve about six songs each, which is quite a relief after the two dozen songs in the two cabarets last week.

Feels as if I'm in one of those decompression chambers.

I hope to accomplish a lot of writing in the next month.  The new musical has no dead-line, for, at this point, there's no producer, and, in fact, no realistic hope that it will ever be produced.  But plenty of people who DON'T have the power to produce a musical of this size have told me they're very much looking forward to seeing a draft of it.  I soldier on, but with no must-be-finished-by-this-date sort of drive
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2004, 01:15:38 PM »

I watched IT STARTED WITH EVE today, and the transfer was as beautiful as any of the Warner black and white DVDs that haven't been put through Ultra-Resolution like CASABLANCA or YANKEE DOODLE DANDY were. I didn't spot any blemishes. And the movie plays so wonderfully, and Charles Laughton is such a thorough scene stealer that's it's sheer pleasure in the viewing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2004, 01:21:55 PM »

I also watched the OLIVER! segments on the Ed Sullivan/Beatles set. Great to see David Jones doing the Artful Dodger (he and Georgia Brown have great rapport together) since he didn't get to do the cast album, and the audience, even this one who were obviously there to cheer the Beatles, seems really into the perfomance, and Brown's brief version of "As Long as He Needs Me" seems to have brought down the house. The audience doesn't want them to stop. Heartening that a fundamentally rock and roll crowd could still find Broadway thoroughly entertaining.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2004, 01:55:20 PM »

Re: all the comments about speedos

Um, have you guys seen the swimmers at these Olympics?  Some of them have full length body suits.  And most have at least full length pants.  No more speedos.

Tomovoz

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2004, 02:34:40 PM »

I am indeed distressed. Have I ever before seen only this many posts in my pre Breakfast read?
Frosty day in Melbourne OZ. Just had the coldest couple of days for the year so far. Snow on the local hills - not an every year happening at all. This is of course the only contintent without a permanent snowline!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2004, 02:51:08 PM »

I guess the body suits are designed to make the swimmers zip even faster in the water with as little flesh as possible to slow them down. [sigh] Similar to what the speed skaters wear, I supose, to cut down on wind resistence.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2004, 02:52:48 PM »

We haven't had snow here, but the lingering effects of Hurricane Charley are still being felt. It didn't get out of the low 70s today and has remained overcast for most of the day. That means another glorious night of cool, crisp air without much mugginess. Perfect sleeping weather.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2004, 02:54:50 PM »

Will be away from the house for much of the early to mid evening, but will be back in time for my usual late night (for East Coast, not so late for your West Coasters) posting.

Tomovoz

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2004, 03:12:50 PM »

Charley has had some news coverage here in OZ. So pleased our DRs from florida are OK.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2004, 03:15:59 PM »

TV in this house has been taken over by Sport! Olympics and PGA tournament in Wisconsin. Wonderful looking Golf course - more like those in Scotland rather than the "pretty money" ones you usually see.
James Thurber 1957

Emily

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2004, 03:18:01 PM »

Re: all the comments about speedos

Um, have you guys seen the swimmers at these Olympics?  Some of them have full length body suits.  And most have at least full length pants.  No more speedos.

yeah... but the divers still do sport the speedo :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2004, 03:35:22 PM »

That, Mr. Director (I'm talking to you, sir!), is a most appropriate and highly deserved change!  Glad you did it.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2004, 03:41:39 PM »

OK, BK, I'm here, I'm here. I was also catching up on my sleep.

I don't have anything else to say, but this is my post to avoid unnecessary slappage.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2004, 03:45:03 PM »

Where in tarnation...  Well, you know the rest. I just got back in from doing errands and am stunned - you heard me STUNNED - to see so few posts.
You'd think it was Sudnay afternoon or something.

Panni

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2004, 03:45:54 PM »

Let's get this show on the road. Or if not on the road...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up