Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RETURN OF C.C. BROWN'S  (Read 12883 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE RETURN OF C.C. BROWN'S
« on: September 14, 2004, 12:05:42 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are now drooling over the prospect of hearing about C.C. Brown's hot fudge sundae, and now it is time for you to post until the C.C. Cows come home.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 12:00:07 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE RETURN OF C.C. BROWN'S
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 12:12:58 AM »

Well... If you want to hear about my C.C. Brown's experience, just check out my "last" posts from last night/yesterday.  :D

Question for BK:  The hot fudge sauce only came on the side.  Did it - was it - originally served on top of the ice cream AND on the side?  Or just on the side?

-And since I did not have the "Original Hot Fudge Sundae" earlier tonight, I'd be more than happy to join you and DR Pogue to compare my Buster Brown experience.  -That is, of course, if my system is recovered by tomorrow evening.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 12:13:26 AM »

The cows and I soon going to bed to read (my cows are VERY intelligent). I have nothing much to say about my "media" set-up. In a word - two words, actually - it's primitive and crappy. When I move and have a larger home environment, things will improve media-wise.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 12:18:22 AM »

Oh, and BK - and other interested parties, just FYI - the entrance for the Schwab's part of Sunset+Vine is off of Vine.  Just look for the Bed, Bath & Beyond, and the Kabuki sushi place, and the Schwab's restaurant is right past it - that is if you are coming from Hollywood Blvd.  Otherwise, if you're coming up from Santa Monica, you should see the nice big neon Schwab's sign.  *And the promotional flyer for the Sunset+Vine "luxury apartments" is worth checking out too!  -I almost inquired at the rental desk to check out the rents.  But, I have a feeling it's one of those cases where "If you have to ask..."
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 12:19:35 AM »

The hot fudge was/should always be on the side, but I'm dismayed to hear they don't have the famous brown ceramic pitchers.  Do they at least have the silver cups?  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 12:20:33 AM »

Oh... And at the end of the C.C. Brown's menu there is a nice blurb about the history of C.C. Brown's which does include a mention of the Schumaker's.  However, it does not mention who currently owns/runs the place.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 12:25:00 AM »

The hot fudge was/should always be on the side, but I'm dismayed to hear they don't have the famous brown ceramic pitchers.  Do they at least have the silver cups?  

Silver cups?  Hmmm... The only silver-looking thing I saw was the creamer pitcher that held the hot fudge sauce.  Otherwise, all the other serving vessels are glass - martini glasses, short sundae glasses, tall sundae glasses, etc.  All glass.  But maybe I didn't order the "right" sundae to get a silver cup.  You know more about the history of the place than I do, and I await your judgment and impressions of the place.

-Oh, and they close at 9:00, apparently - although it may depend upon how busy the restaurant is next door.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 12:27:37 AM »

Is that enough C.C. Brown's talk for now?  ;)

(Actually, the next time I go there, I'll try to get there earlier in the day so "it" has more time to digest (before I get ready for bed).  Like I said, that ice cream was very rich... good, but very rich.)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 12:31:51 AM »

As for my media set-up at home, I have a TV, a VCR (VHS), and a DVD player (a nice Panasonic one my brother "gave" to me) in the living room.  In the bedroom I have a shelf-system with a 3-CD changer, cassette player, and radio; and a clock radio.  The shelf system and the clock radio get more "quality time" than anything else.  And even then, I usually listen to radio more than anything else.  That is, of course, when I'm not watching FoodTV and TLC on cable.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 12:32:55 AM »

OK... I'm outta here...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 04:56:58 AM »

When describing your tv and sound system, please also list your address, the times you won't be home and if you have a security system.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 05:02:17 AM »

We don't have a very elaborate electronics set up. There is a big TV, not huge, just large, I don't even know the dimensions. I bought it a few years ago when I got a bonus at work. We still just have a VCR attached to the television. The only DVD player is part of the computer. Despite our large number of CDs we have a very out-of-date single CD player w/a radio and tape deck. We have a boom box in the bedroom and a clock radio. That is the extent of our media set up. We have talked about getting a DVD player but haven't yet. We watch so little television that we don't feel it's worth the money to upgrade to digital television (plus I have my long-standing dislike of Time-Warner Cable here in New York). We already have too many channels we don't watch. Why add another boatload of sports channels and 16 million Discovery channel spin-offs? It doesn't make sense. I'm an old-fashioned kind of guy. I'll listen to the radio (both the physical radio and the internet variety). We have also talked about upgrading our CD system and buying a stand-alone burner to finish putting our many records on to CD. We will probably do that sometime later this year.

Happy Anniversary to the Pogues. Wasn't that the name of a rock band?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 05:02:56 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 05:05:42 AM »

A shot of me eating yummylicious deep fried cheese curds!

The shot is kind of dark but you can see the deep fried wonders clear enough.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 05:22:57 AM »

The media center here needs a makeover. There's a record player that really should be fixed, and a CD player (with tape deck and radio) that went on the fritz last week. We have one TV, about the size of Ben's (big but not huge), to which the VCR and DVD players are connected. We get umpteen channels (most of them unwatched) on our TV, thanks to ExpressVu - which is hooked up to our apartment complex.  

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 05:24:39 AM »

It's much too early in the day to be looking at deep-fried cheese curds - especially glowing ones.

Elan

• Smiling from heir to heir...
    • efrex: confessions of an orthodox jewish straight theatre queen
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2004, 05:54:07 AM »

Deep fried cheese curds? Bleurg...  :P Sorry, that just don't sound appetizing... looks yummy though.

Media set up... no TV. We borrowed a small tv/vcr unit for watching videos when the wife was teaching an intro to film course, but we like to keep the demon box out of the house. We watch DVDs on the computer (thinking of getting one of the new imacs to mount to the wall), and we useta play records and CDs on an el cheapo all-in-one system, which we chucked when the CD tray busted. Now, CDs get played on iTunes, or on one of several "boxes" in the place, while the records languish on the shelf.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2004, 06:03:49 AM »

BK - Does that bookstore owner also go under the name of Rhoda Penmark and does she have a penmanship medal?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2004, 06:47:28 AM »

Cheese Curds!
Cheese Curds!
Gooey, chewy Cheese Curds!
Cheese Curds!
Cheese Curds!
Eat them up!
Yum!

My entertainment center is of the modest variety, compaired to those of my friends.  I have a 27" Sony Trinitron (I really don't want anything bigger.  The TV is already the focal point of my livingroom and I feel that anything larger would dominate the room.)  

The TV sits on what is actually a kitchen microwave cart, but it situates the set at the perfect eye level and the wood matches my living room coffee and end tables.

On the shelf below the TV, I have my Sony DVD player and Sony VCR (yes, I'll admit it--I'm a Sony whore.)  The DVD player is only about three years old, but already out-of-date.  It does not play burnt CDs (music or mp3s), and I'm sure that it's Region 1 compatable only.  Still, it gets me to where I want to go and I don't plan on replacing it anytime soon.  

The Sony VCR was purchased two years ago and replaced my first VCR--a Panisonic that I bought back in 1983.  I'm still amazed at the picture and sound quality with which it records and I love the features.  My only grumble is that it records only at SP and EP--my old Panisonic had an in-between speed that would record 4 hours on a tape.  But the EP quality on the new machine is very good and, aside from wasting tape space for programs that are only 3 hours or so, I can't complain too much.

On either side of the TV/microwave cart are two speakers that aren't hooked up to anything.  The only purpose they serve are to put things on.  My basic cable box sits on one of the speakers.  I haven't made the jump to digital cable because, like DR Ben, I don't see the reason to have multiple versions of Discovery or The Histoy Channel.  If I was missing something like The Broadway Channel or All-Sondheim TV, I would reconsider.  But I'm not, so...

Inside the cart, aside from storing empty VHS tapes, I have a Sony(!) Playstation One and a Nintendo Game Cube.  I don't play with either one very much.  I enjoy playing video games, but it seems like most of the games today require an investment of hours of play that I'm not currently willing to give into.

And, that is probably a lot more about my entertainment center than anyone really wants to know.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2004, 07:04:27 AM »

Well I am happy to report that I had a most excellent night's sleep last night.  The waterbed mattress now has the correct amount of water in it.  ANd it was GREAT! (although I had to fill it twice and then empty some water, which was a pain).

But it's up and running now. Yeah!

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2004, 07:06:03 AM »

My television is a 36 inch something-or-other and I have, and still use for taping purposes, a vcr. I also have a DVD player hooked up. I have a second DVD player in my bedroom closet. It was a fine DVD player but it would not play one of my Bollywood DVDs for some reason so I had to scurry out and pick up one that would! Nothing, but nothing would keep me from my Bollywood!

I have digital cable which provides me with around 300 or 400 channels...of which I watch about 3! TCM, TV Land, and Goodlife Network.

I have a CD player in the kitchen which also plays cassettes.

I have a boombox with dual cassettes which recently broke...have not been able to replace it as they must not make 'em anymore!! I do need to find another and it must have high speed dub capablities...I use it to make a back-up copy of my interviews...just in case! Lately I have just been taking my chances and HOPING that nothing happens to the original tape of the interview as I am transcribing it to paper.

I must drink coffee now.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 07:08:02 AM by MBarnum »

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2004, 07:10:03 AM »

DR DIT, since you watched Tiger Cruise, I believe DR Panni had a question for you.  Being Canadian, were you happy with the ending or not?

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2004, 07:14:28 AM »

DR Jane, I think I'd like to join your book food club too! :)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2004, 07:26:09 AM »

An obituary in today's NY Times, in memory of "Unc" (Fred Ebb)

You preferred "A Quiet Thing" to "All That Jazz." You always said 'Yes' ... Your life will be remembered for your words and many gifts. "How Lucky Can You Get?"

« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 07:26:31 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2004, 07:29:23 AM »

Happy Anniversary to the Pogues!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2004, 07:31:14 AM »

Tiger Cruise: spoiler alert (ending is divulged).

Jennifer,

About the ending of Tiger Cruise, are you referring to Madie's proud acceptance of her dad's job, or to the unfurling of the flag? I thought both were appropriate. As the movie came to a close, I asked Gord (more of a Canadian than I am - he was born in London, Ont.; and not a sappy guy) how he thought it would/should end. He felt, especially given the backdrop to the story, there was only one ending  (which was the one it had).

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2004, 07:32:41 AM »

From time to time, people read what I write about Los Angeles and figure "He can't be serious.  L.A. couldn't possibly be really like that.  He must be exaggerating for comic effect."

But I swear this is true...

If you enter Hollywood & Highland not from Bruce's hotel but from some more logical location, like, say, the corner of Hollywood & Highland, you'll soon notice, on the ground, a sort of yellow brick road.  It's an inlaid tile pathway, that, every few yards, has some quote from somebody who's made a career in Hollywood about how they got their start.  That's what they want you to think about: How various successes got their start.  (Keep that in mind.)  The quotes are sometimes amusing, sometimes interesting, but, annoyingly, they don't tell you who they're from.  Now, in many cases, you can figure this out "I had this show in Philadelphia in which I played the latest 45s" could only be Dick Clark, for instance, or, "I was just another loud-mouthed housewife in Utah."  Sometimes the quotes are from key grips and other technicians.  The path diverges into a couple of sections, but soon, it's clear that this quote-filled path has a destination.  And this destination is the figurative answer to "How does one make it in Hollywood?"

At the end of the path, set against a background that includes the Hollywood sign, is a big fiberglass couch.  The casting couch.  That's the answer.

I'm not making this up.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2004, 07:53:29 AM »

For those who are interested (DR Robin where art thou?) I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE (1958) is out on DVD today!

I am just a little excited!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2004, 08:00:33 AM »

We're getting some Ivan spilloff a day or two early. It was always slated to get here on Thursday, but today's forecast says rain will begin this afternoon and continue for much of the rest of the week. Just keeping fingers crossed here that it won't be too serious.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2004, 08:02:00 AM »

Reading DR td's description of the ANGEL - Season 4 DVD set reminded me I haven't even looked at Seasons 2 or 3 yet! Argh! And my Hitchcock discs came yesterday. Never enough time to watch everything I want, especially now that rehearsals are underway for SOMETHING'S AFOOT.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2004, 08:04:31 AM »

If anyone's in touch with TCB, please forward him good 10-Little-Indian (and one healthy computer) vibes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up