Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WHIRLING DERVISH  (Read 19541 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE WHIRLING DERVISH
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2004, 09:04:23 AM »

2004 was not a banner year for theatre-going.  Some of the best things I saw were either done for children or done by children.  To wit:

The Big Voice: God or Merman?
An auto-biographical two-hander actually played by the men who lived it.  The bad news first: the songwriting half of the team can't act, articulate, is awkard on stage and his songs often sit there, not contributing to the storytelling.  But when Jim Brochu and his book take over, it's amusing and vibrant and a cut above the cliche.  About ten times better than that other musical in town featuring a happily-together middle-aged gay couple.

The Producers?

:P
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2004, 09:11:09 AM »

Just about to leave for the theater, but I had to log back on to ask BK to give Walter Willison my best. No, he doesn't know me, but I got the biggest crush on him when I saw him in TWO BY TWO all those years ago, and just love hearing his voice on the few CDs I have where he's featured. Yes, I saw him in GRAND HOTEL, too, but couldn't summon courage enough to wait by the stage door to tell him so. So, I hope bk will be my messenger.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2004, 09:12:22 AM »

Good morning, one and all!
[/size]

I had planned on posting for a while last night when I got home from SCROOGE.  Instead, I am afraid I got sidelined by some personal problems that some good friends were having.

Anyway, the show last night was fantastic.  Again, I felt like I really nailed the performance (sorry Ann and Jed, it only happens when you aren't looking).  We had a very enthusiastic crowd, despite the nearly rain-flooded streets and high winds that we were experiencing most of yesterday.  This morning I am very worn out, but must soon jump (or step) into the shower and head off to rehearsal      

TOD

Yesterday’s topic:  Nothing in the DVD player or VCR.
However, in my CD player, I have a fantastic new Christmas CD called HAVE YOURSELF A DIVLYCIOUS CHRISTMAS, by a Northwest female group (Divalycious).  I know two of the four members of the group, as well as the arranger, sometime composer, and overall producer of the CD, who is a very good friend.  The two-disc CD is one of the best new Christmas recordings I have heard in some time.  The music ranges from classic Christmas songs to original songs.  One of the originals, “Christmas the Way It Used to Be” could easily become a new holiday classic. (Available at Amazon.com).

Today’s topic:  Not much.  I saw the delightful Cathy Rigby and Howard McGillin in PETER PAN and I saw an excellent local production of LITTLE SHOP, but not much else that was memorable.  
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2004, 09:19:44 AM »

...And Our Very Own Jason Graae got a very nice review in today's NY Times.

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2004, 09:24:58 AM »

Good morning. Another lovely lovely (that's two lovelies) day in the City of Studio. Took Abie to the park where he played with his friends, visited my old house to pick up some mail and am now back in the home environment. (No bugs today.) Showering then heading down to the Wood of West for bk's signing. An exciting morning for the show business legend known as The Panni.

Panni

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2004, 09:26:32 AM »

Congrats on your great performance last night, TCB!

Panni

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2004, 09:31:03 AM »

I second and third the opinions about Knoxville: Summer of 1915 and Dawn Upshaw's performance. I have never ever heard that piece without crying. It is unbelievably beautiful. DR Elmore some months ago very kindly sent me the CD of Miss Upshaw's performance, which for some bizarre reason I did not own.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2004, 09:57:29 AM »

OK... NOW I'm off to Target!

-Anyone need anything besides some laundry detergent, dryer sheets, disposable razors, shampoo, bar soap and a tray table?

;)

Laters...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 09:58:54 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2004, 10:07:09 AM »

I'm on my way to the book signing.  Keep the home fries burning.  And MattH, I shall certainly pass along your wishes to Mr. Willison.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2004, 10:18:13 AM »

And now for something completely different...

Has anyone ever heard of pouring a small amount of hyrdogen peroxide in your ears in order to stave off an incoming cold?

Has anyone ever tried it?

Isn't that how the King was killed in HAMLET?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Emily

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2004, 10:33:45 AM »

[size=8]Happy Birthday DR Ginny!!![/size]

My, we are having quite a birthday bonanza of late...

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ben

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2004, 10:38:41 AM »

Happy Birthday to my cohort in nonprofit fundraising and philanthropic information, DR Ginny!!!

Michael

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2004, 10:40:16 AM »

My theater going experiences were limited this year. But what I saw I enjoyed.

What If
The Boy From Oz
When Pigs Fly
Sly Fox
Never stop dreaming.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2004, 10:45:28 AM »

DR Sandra and I wish DR Ginny a very happy birthday!!

And now we are off to see a tour of "Jesus Christ Superstar."
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2004, 10:51:36 AM »

Well, a too-short lunch hour and back to B&N!  My manager, whom I love, is being bitchy and snappy this morning, so it hasn't been too pleasant.  I think it's because the extra Christmas help is in but the crowds aren't that huge.  It seems to me the  problem is Barnes & Noble's.  We have promotion all over the store encouraging ordering books on line for free delivery, discounts, etc. from the main office, and then everybody wonders where the huge crowds are.  Duh!  They're most likely ordering online.

So, it's not been the most pleasant morning.  But I refuse to let it rattle me, goddammit!  I'm gonna get in a holiday mood if I have to kill everyone.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2004, 10:52:01 AM »

The very first Phantom I saw.  I only knew the part from the CD so of course, I only knew Michael Crawfords voice.  I remember going into the theater with my friends and telling myself, “It’s not going to be his voice.”  Still you have a certain expectation of what that voice is going to sound like.

The lights went down and I waited with baited breath to hear the Phantom.  BUT when he sang, I swear it sounded like Mickey Mouse!  I was in total shock, turned to my friend and said, “The Phantom is a wuss!”  

My internal editing function finely kicked in and I was hearing Michael Crawford sing the part instead the wuss Phantom.   I didn’t even cry at the end for him and I really didn’t care if the mob lynched him. It might not have been a bad thing—I would have helped.  ;)    

It was one of the biggest let downs of my life.  

Glad to say I have seen several Phantoms since then and all have been rather good.  No hanging offenses.   :D

Danise, have you ever heard the Forbidden Broadway version of "The Phantom of the Musical?"  It's hysterical!  "Andrew Lloyd Webber" wears the mask but under it, he's really Micky Mouse!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2004, 10:52:18 AM »

Dear Friend BK, I hope the reading and signing is a huge success!

George

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2004, 10:52:58 AM »

Happy birthday Dear Reader Ginny!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2004, 10:56:56 AM »

The only shows that I've actually seen this year are:

The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Cabaret
Songs for a New World
DANCIN' IN THE STREETS!: A Motor City Rock ’n’ Soul Celebration!

They were all locally produced and all very good.  I've worked backstage for several touring companies that came to Olympia, but I didn't get to see them, so I can't say if they were good or not.  They all sounded good and the performers and crew have usually been quite nice, but I can't see the shows when I'm helping with the costumes.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2004, 11:16:23 AM »

Well, top of my list of top ten musicals and plays I've seen this year would be:

What If?

Locally, I've also enjoyed:  

A Little Night Music...at the LA Opera
The Schmidt/Jones Tribute...at Pasadena Playhouse
Two Gentlemen of Verona...done in the open air of Barnsdall Park on fourth of July

Then in London:

History Boys
The Old Masters
Journey's End
Sweeney Todd
Festen
Earthly Paradise

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2004, 11:25:17 AM »

Thanks everyone for all of the great happy birthday wishes yesterday!! What  a wonderful bunch of DRs you all are!! I appreciate it!

Had a lot of fun last night...went to Gustav's in Portland for German food...I had some sort of meatball with sauce..don't recall the name...and it was tasty! My best buddy Mark, and Terry and his boyfriend Jim, and our friend Gregg (his partner couldn't go as he had his two daughters for the weekend) went.

After dinner all of us, except Gregg, went downtown and hit a few bars....didn't get home until the wee hours of the morning. Got hit on by two nice looking guys and one drag queen whose beehive hairdo I was admiring! LOL!

I had a few too many drinks and a few too many cigarettes and feel like I crawled out from under a rock, now! LOL! I am too old for all of this partaying! But it was fun.

This morning I had breakfast at The Orginal Pancake House with my friends Ron and Patrick who weren't able to go out with us last night. I had bacon, eggs over medium, and Nebraska Corn Pancakes with sugarless syrup (the waitress kept calling it diet syrup...I didn't like that too much! LOL!).

I will try to post some pics of our dinner last night. I am beat and must run to the store and then nap (I have only had a few hours of sleep. Ugh).

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2004, 11:26:11 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GINNY!  

Jose I’m glad you friend Sue is doing well.  Yea for your niece!  Soon she will adore you.  Sorry but not surprised about your roommate.  You wanted to leave anyway.  Just reading what you said to him, does he understand you are not returning?

Hisaka you are welcome.  Years ago my son introduced me to Japanese films and animation.  I’m trying to remember the name of the popular story of a little girl.  How is that for a clue? :-[  We lived outside of Detroit for a number of years and my friends from Japan, in the car industry, were surprised my son enjoyed this movie so much.  If only I could remember the name of it. ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2004, 11:27:05 AM »

DR Hisaka, I have a great interest in Japan, so yes I would love to hear all about your life there! I visited Tokyo about 10 years ago and had the best vacation of my life in that city! It is a beautiful place, and so clean. The people were so friendly and I hope someday to go back. I will think of some questions to ask you about!

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2004, 11:35:26 AM »

Here are my buddies Terry (left) and Jim (right).

Jane

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2004, 11:37:12 AM »

MBarnum, The Original House of Pancakes-LUCKY YOU!!!  Nic pic.

Bruce I hope you had a successful and enjoyable book reading.

Jose I would not try that method of cold prevention.  Just keep washing your hands.

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2004, 11:38:05 AM »

Here I am looking morose..I don't know why. I must have been hungry!

Jane

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2004, 11:38:51 AM »

I will be leaving for L.A. and a memorial service on Friday.  It seems a long way off, but not with all the work I need to get done before I leave.  I will try and pop in, and with regret I doubt I will have time to read the posts or note-sorry Bruce.  I will be checking my email.

I shall return on Monday to wish Tomovoz a happy birthday.  My question is what time on Monday do I need to wish you a happy birthday to reach you on Tuesday morning in the land of Oz?

MBarnum

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2004, 11:40:33 AM »

Here is the whole gang having a jovial time (the manager of the restaurant was kind enough to take the photo)

MBarnum

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2004, 11:43:50 AM »

And here is a shot of my good buddy (and gay conservative Republican, LOL!) Mark prior to our departure last night.

Tomovoz

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2004, 12:27:51 PM »

And now we are off to see a tour of "Jesus Christ Superstar."
An approriate time fro JCS to tour.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up