Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WHIRLING DERVISH  (Read 19625 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE WHIRLING DERVISH
« on: December 10, 2004, 11:58:46 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're whirling like a dervish about the notes, the notes are whirling like a dervish about you, and now it is time to post until the whirling cows come home to their beloved dervish.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 12:04:25 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE WHIRLING DERVISH
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 12:09:14 AM »

At the moment I'm so tired I can't remember a thing I've seen this year -- except a second big bug hunted down by Abie. I hope this isn't the beginning of an invasion. Maybe they were just a couple out on a first date and got lost -- and squished. Bad first date.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 12:16:28 AM »

DR PANNI- and other interested DRs - Yes, the Baltimore Sun did do a feature article on Arthur Laurents this week.  And, yes, it's on their website.  But, alas, it's only available to members of the site.  Paying members.  Ah, well...

All in all, Mr. Laurents seems to be having a good time with this revival/revisal.  And he really seems to love this cast - he's very huggy with everyone.  -And he even made sure I was positioned on the bandstand better so that when the curtains open to reveal the band I would be seen by more of the audience.  -For whatever that's worth... ;)

Btw, I have two tickets - comps - for Opening Night next Thursday.  My parents will be coming later in the run.  Anyone interested here on HHW?

Going once...

Going twice...

Just PM me...

The show is at 7:30, and runs about 2 hours and 10 minutes - which is great!  The past couple of shows I've done at Arena just under 3 hours.  Nice to have an early evening again!  -Of course, with all the opening night festivities, the curtain time may be a little late, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 12:19:23 AM »

Happy birthday DR Ginny.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 12:21:20 AM »

I just remembered something I really enjoyed this year. A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC, presented by the Los Angeles Opera.
Now that the memory has kicked in...WHAT IF?  of course, which I saw 5 (or more?) times. And CABARET and FIDDLER ON THE ROOF in Budapest. And a very wet but interesting BLUEBEARD at the Budapest Opera. Others will come back to me tomorrow. Or not.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 12:22:27 AM »

Can't list many musicals or plays that I have seen - there were not many.

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and "Urinetown" were enjoyable.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 12:22:38 AM »

OOHH!!!  -I thought I smelled something cooking downstairs... My parents are making a big batch of lumpia - Filipino-style eggrolls!

They just finished making a big pot of the filling.  -And I just had a few spoonfuls of it!  YUM!

The eggroll wrappers are still defrosting... I may go down and roll up a few later... If I'm still up...
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 12:23:17 AM »

*****HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR GINNY!*****

Panni

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2004, 12:25:00 AM »

...And to all a good-night... Except Tom, because it's not (night).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2004, 12:33:56 AM »

As for shows I've seen this year, I pretty much liked everything I saw this year...

In New York:
Urinetown
Avenue Q
Wicked
Caroline, or Change
Hairspray
(with Harvey Fierstein)
Gypsy
Wonderful Town
Dame Edna: Back with a Vengeance
The Producers

In LA:
Hairspray (with Bruce Vilanch)
The Ten Commandments - well, I liked this for all the wrong reasons
My Favorite Year - at the Musical Theatre Guild, courtesy of DR Jay

In Houston:
Leading Ladies - Ken Ludwig's new play starring our own SMA! -And in a dress with a sheer midrift no less!

In DC:
Elegies
*I wish I could see more theatre in DC, but I'm usually working on another show when a show I want to see is up and running.

I know I'm forgetting a few things... Hmm... More later... maybe...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2004, 12:43:11 AM »

OK... I'm outta here for now... And I get to sleep in tomorrow/today!!!!!!!  -Only have the show tomorrow night at 8:00.  :)

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2004, 01:07:37 AM »

Happy Birthday DR GINNY!!!

Saturday.  My sister Molly and I are going shopping....oh my!

Bugs in the sink and toddlers downstairs - DRPANNI, sounds like a double whammy.

MR BK mentioned he got the book of New Yorker cartoons.  There are those (including one that DRGEORGE posted for me a few days ago) that make me laugh and laugh and laugh.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2004, 01:10:19 AM »

Shows I enjoyed this year:

LOVING LUCY.....for obvious reasons.

PHANTOM OF THE OPERA - because I like it, although I know it is not a favorite of a lot of DR's.

NUNSENSE

EXONERATED

And that's about all I saw this year....I think.  I will have to think....think...

Of course the show I didn't get to see and missed most of all is WHAT IF?

And if only I could use those tickets DRJOSE.  HALLELUJAH BABY! and NO STRINGS are two shows I would love to see, based just on the albums, of course - but the music is terrific.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2004, 01:10:35 AM »

Threw out the toaster oven?!!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2004, 02:54:02 AM »

Hello Hisaka & Jed!

DR td - I haven't gotten my issue of Scarlet Street yet (not that it has anything in it that I wrote!) - AND yesterday you did point out Andrew Prine's OTHER claim to fame.  I haven't seen that particular issue, but I have heard about it!  And now he's married to Kim McAfee??!!!!  And he was at DRJane's house when she was growing up.  Small world, isn't it?

Jed

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2004, 03:10:22 AM »

Hello JRand, Hisaka, and Tomovoz

OOHH!!!  -I thought I smelled something cooking downstairs... My parents are making a big batch of lumpia - Filipino-style eggrolls!

They just finished making a big pot of the filling.  -And I just had a few spoonfuls of it!  YUM!

The eggroll wrappers are still defrosting... I may go down and roll up a few later... If I'm still up...

Ooo, lumpia... one of the many things I miss about my Filipino former roommate!  :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2004, 04:46:24 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm listening to Dawn Upshaw sing "Knoxville: Summer of 1915" as I type this.  "One is my mother who is good to me" in Barber's melodic phrases tear my heart from its position and lodge it somewhere in my throat.  What a glorious piece!  I think Miss Upshaw sings it better than anyone.  There's a beautiful Menotti aria "Steal Me, Sweet Thief" on this disc as well, and I swear there's a chunk of it "borrowed" by Mr Lloyd Webber for his POTO score.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
DRGinny, Happy Birthday, dear friend! :-* :-* :-* :-* :o :o :o :o :) :) :) :) :-* :-* :-* :-*[/move]

Another B&N day.  I want to hit the supermarket, our lovely Gristedes at 86th Street, and pick up some holiday candy before I go in.  It will be a day of mad shoppers and testy parents, and I thyink some holiday wrapped Hersheys will cheer up my colleagues.

Dear Friend BK, I applaud your choices at B&N last night!  I hope you enjoy the books for many years to come.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 04:48:24 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2004, 06:16:01 AM »

DR td - I haven't gotten my issue of Scarlet Street yet (not that it has anything in it that I wrote!) - AND yesterday you did point out Andrew Prine's OTHER claim to fame.  I haven't seen that particular issue, but I have heard about it!  And now he's married to Kim McAfee??!!!!  And he was at DRJane's house when she was growing up.  Small world, isn't it?

When talking about Mr. Prine, I don't think it's a SMALL world.  
 ;)
Well, the latest issue of the Street contains an interesting second look at VAN HELSING by Ken Hanke, which made me finally sit down and concetratedly watch the dvd last night. . .for better or for worse. Mostly worse.  Some things which I did enjoy were the three heroic leads, the Frankenstein creature, the score and cinemtaography.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Michael

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2004, 06:44:34 AM »

She'd outpester any pest
Drive a hornet from its nest
She could throw a whirling dervish out of whirl
« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 06:49:15 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2004, 06:56:20 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Ginny.

DR Jose, your descriptions of your roommate's often thoughtless and crass behavior remind me why I rattle around here in a four bedroom house alone. People are HARD to live with if there's no emotional connection. Sorry you're having to endure this fool and excited for your upcoming move.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Danise

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2004, 07:02:15 AM »

Morning all!

I feel a bit like a whirling dervish myself today.  I have to go to the mall to get a gift certificate (it’s for Victoria’s Secret—hey it’s what she wanted) for our gift exchange at work.  Our Christmas party is Wednesday.  

Then I my hie myself home and get ready for POTO.  Yay!  I am soooo looking forward to it.  

I was referring to another Phantom that I saw, Jrand.  The very first Phantom I saw.  I only knew the part from the CD so of course, I only knew Michael Crawfords voice.  I remember going into the theater with my friends and telling myself, “It’s not going to be his voice.”  Still you have a certain expectation of what that voice is going to sound like.

The lights went down and I waited with baited breath to hear the Phantom.  BUT when he sang, I swear it sounded like Mickey Mouse!  I was in total shock, turned to my friend and said, “The Phantom is a wuss!”  

My internal editing function finely kicked in and I was hearing Michael Crawford sing the part instead the wuss Phantom.   I didn’t even cry at the end for him and I really didn’t care if the mob lynched him. It might not have been a bad thing—I would have helped.  ;)    

It was one of the biggest let downs of my life.  

Glad to say I have seen several Phantoms since then and all have been rather good.  No hanging offenses.   :D

My friends tell me it was worth the price of the ticket just to see the expression on my face when I heard that first Phantom and I still get ribbed about it from time to time.  

I shall give you a full report tonight.  

I am having animal translation problems right now.

Bear came into my bedroom with the morning “Woof!”.   That means “I need to use the facilities, kindly get your butt out of bed and let me out to use them.”

Then he “Woofed” at the back door.  That means, “I have finished doing my business and I would appreciate it if you would let me back in so I can crash on the couch.”

But he wasn’t in five minutes and he was woofing at the window and crying.  I looked out and didn’t see anything.  I asked him if he wanted to go back out, “No!” seemed to be the answer.  But I can’t figure out what he’s crying  and woofing about.  Hummm.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, DR Ginny!!!![/move]

I've also been meaning to say hello to one of new DR's, Hisaka. Nice to meet you!

Gotta run, have a GREAT day everyone!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2004, 07:06:36 AM »

The best theater I've seen this year:

Of course, the four shows I saw in New York were all outstanding entertainments, even THE BOY FROM OZ with its weak book. I'd have to put AVENUE Q on top followed very closely by WICKED and I AM MY OWN WIFE, but all four were definitely my top four choices for 2004.

A local production of TAKE ME OUT was beautifully acted even if the actors weren't well built enough to be convincing physical specimens as the baseball players.

I'd have to say my biggest disappointment of the year in local theater was the revival of YOU'RE A GOOD MAN CHARLIE BROWN. Despite liking the addition of Sally to the script, I didn't like the expanded production with oversized props and furniture, hated Schroeder's new song, and despised the new arrangements which take the "innocence" away from these charmers. Maybe I'm just an old fogey who is used to the simple, adorable original version, but this version left me indifferent at best and actually angry at some points.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2004, 07:07:12 AM »

Happy Happy Birthday DR Ginny
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2004, 07:07:48 AM »

We have two shows today, so I may not be back on at all today. If so, hope everyone has a great Saturday. It's cold, rainy, and miserable here - typical December.

Kerry

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2004, 07:43:22 AM »

Dervishes are definitely NOT extinct,  I met the girlfriend of the whirling dervish the other day.  He goes out to make another ruple; she steps out to make a lot of whoopee.

We should all be grateful that we can still whirl--- some dervishes can't.   I think I heard Sally Struthers talk about that-- adopting unwhirling dervishes.
I like boat races.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2004, 08:35:26 AM »

2004 was not a banner year for theatre-going.  Some of the best things I saw were either done for children or done by children.  To wit:
Junie B. Jones
The new musical by Marcy Heisler and Zina Goldrich bubbled with melody, energy and feeling.  Mary Faber was marvelous as the diary-keeping moppet.  It also featured some drag by Michael McCoy as a cafeteria lady that out-Hairsprayed Hairspray (seen the year before)
Cam Jansen

A new musical by two coun't-'em-two Kleban Award winners, didn't have 100% good numbers, but it bopped along with no small amount of panache.  I loved how a New York cop accepts the fact that a 10-year-old girl is solving the mystery of a museum robbery.
Godspell

Not my production of Godspell, which was a bit of a mess, but one the co-director and I viewed for research's sake, done by the teens at Amas.  The show had some wonderful ideas and gave me some confidence that the material shines no matter how you do it.  The musical direction was wonderful, and the cast was full of bright young performers.
Caroline Or Change
There's no getting around the fact that this was a very weird show, starting with singing laundry machines and on to the life-altering importance of a misplaced twenty dolalr bill.  Tony Kushner once barked at me "musical comedy is an inherantly conservative art form intended to lull the bougeoisie into complacency."  So, one has to wonder what he's doing writing one.  It doesn't offer the emotional pay-offs we expect from musicals.  But Jeanine Tesori's music often provides wit, and it does keep you wondering what'll happen next.
Wicked
Winnie Holtzman's book kept me wondering what would happen to Galinda, Elphaba and that little dog, Dodo.  The performances by Chenoweth, Menzel and Butz were certainly appealing, and the quieter songs (I'm Not That Girl, For Good) have merit.  One only wishes the songwriter had retained the sense of what makes a song really work that he had in his youth, when he created Godspell.
The Normal Heart
I'd not seen this play its first time around, and, to be sure, I expected self-righteous speeches, dramatic deaths and catty comedy.  The show fulfilled these expectations, but did it with such pace and passions, I could not help but be moved.  Larry Kramer's play is more personal than most: it conveys what it's like to shout in the wind, helplessly, and watch countless friends and lovers perish because they didn't hear you.
The Big Voice: God or Merman?
An auto-biographical two-hander actually played by the men who lived it.  The bad news first: the songwriting half of the team can't act, articulate, is awkard on stage and his songs often sit there, not contributing to the storytelling.  But when Jim Brochu and his book take over, it's amusing and vibrant and a cut above the cliche.  About ten times better than that other musical in town featuring a happily-together middle-aged gay couple.
The Crucible
It was a treat to see Miller's metaphorical handling of some of the issues I'm writing about.  When it's good, which isn't all the time, it's very good indeed.
Taxi Cabaret
Peter Mills is something of a wunderkind, a prodigious songwriter many years younger than me.  He should sue his cast for non-support.  This was a depressingly bad production, but, if you concentrated, you could hear dazzling music and lyrics - the sort of thing Charley Kringus and Franklin Shepherd did in Frankly Frank.  Oh, wait, they're fictional.  Mills is the real deal, and the Caveman song may be the funniest number written in the past decade.
Pardon My English
Encores! always surprises me.  Whenever I expect something will be wonderful (The World's Sexiest Man in The Pajama Game, No Strings, House of Flowers) it isn't, and, whenever my expectations are low, I'm knocked out.  In a good way!  Brian D'Arcy James starred in this loony and dopey Gershwin comedy, and every corny joke in the book landed like nothing you'll see in an Austin Powers movie.  It's the old hit-me-on-the-head-I'm-a-different-person plot: one clonk, the hero is a bootlegger (of soft drinks!); another clonk, he's a dashing international spy, a la James Bond.  The score's love songs include Isn't It a Pity and one in which a man considers himself lucky because he's heard from every guy in town what a good lover his new girlfriend is.  Does that make any sense?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2004, 08:49:57 AM »

I totally agree about Dawn Upshaw's performance of the Barber piece.  I have them all and no one comes close.  One of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2004, 08:57:51 AM »

Good Morning!

It was so nice to sleep in... And I have a feeling I may end up taking a short nap sometime this afternoon too!

I need to make a run to Target in a few just to pick up some supplies.  Hopefully, not too many other "supplies" will end up in my cart by the time I reach the cash register.  -Those end-caps with the Clearance items are always very tempting.

As for my roomie... Yes, he threw out my toaster oven.  -Strangely enough - or not strangely enough - he left the wire rack and the now-charred broiler pan soaking in the sink - I went ahead and dumped those in the garbage myself.  Yes, he admittedly has some issues.  And he also has some "issues".  But don't we all - so do I.  But his issues are starting to get on my nerves, and his "issues" are starting to give me issues.  And I'd rather not starting having "issues" because of him.  ::)

It's been a good coexistence in that apartment - especially since I've only been there about five months total off and on in the past two years... But with my current mindset to finally make the BIG MOVE, the incident the other night was just another sign in another long line of signs that - to quote Hallelujah, Baby! - Now's the Time.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2004, 08:59:44 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR GINNY!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2004, 09:01:56 AM »

And now for something completely different...

Has anyone ever heard of pouring a small amount of hyrdogen peroxide in your ears in order to stave off an incoming cold?

Has anyone ever tried it?
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up