Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: CLEAR AS A BELL, CLEAN AS A WHISTLE  (Read 20015 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:CLEAR AS A BELL, CLEAN AS A WHISTLE
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2004, 09:22:25 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... On my walk earlier tonight, I ended stopping by the chocolate shop, the bakery, 7-11 and the grocery store.  I only had a sample of chocolate at For the Love of Chocolate from the sample tin that's on the counter - usually they put stuff that's been overstocked, or, like it was today, chunks from something larger that's been broken apart (i.e. chocolate bunny).  I think tonight's selection was part of a chocolate turkey.

At the bakery, I had two almond crisps (basically puff pastry with some marzipan and slivered almonds baked in the layers, sliced into small squares), and a small raspberry linzer cookie.

At the 7-11, I bought a few lottery tickets - it's been a while.  I ended up buying two of the MegaMillions, and one scratcher.  I actually won $2.00 on the scratcher, then traded the $2.00 dollars in for another two scratchers.  I won "another" $2.00.  Well, since I knew my streak had to end sometime, I bought two more scratchers, and, surprise, surprise, I "lost".  Ah, well.. but it was a little exciting.

Then at the grocery store, I bought some toilet paper, kleenex and a bottle of that new 7-Up with fruit juice, calcium and vitamins.  The 7-Up was OK.  Oh, and I also picked up a snack of fried okra from the fried chicken counter.  YUM!

Then I walked back home.

Exciting, huh?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2004, 09:26:35 PM »

One amazing thing I came across while walking was the renovation of the McDonald's on Cary Street.  The main part of the dining area is being redone - new floors, new booths, etc.  And they are also redoing the sidewalk area.  However, the kitchen is still open.  The drive-thru is still open!

It took me a few second to realize what was going on.  I saw that the place looked closed and was definitely under construction, but I could still smell that distinctive McD's frying smell.  Hmm... Then I saw the cars in the drive-thru lane.. Hmmm...  In any case, it looks like it will be pretty nice inside once they finish.  They're going for more of a dark-wood, European feeling - there are a few of those "types" of McD's in Richmond already.  One even has a grand piano in it!
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2004, 09:30:25 PM »

I'm back! My first posting from my new home environment. I'll keep this short and sweet. The move went well. The place is somewhat chaotic right now, but I'm beginning to see what it's going to look like. Abie is still at the kennel. I put him in during the move and was going to bring him home today -- but there is still too huge a mess. Tomorrow I'll get up VERY early and try to clean up most of the boxes, so I can pick him up by noon and not be charged for another day.
I just ate a disgustingly sweet pastry of some sort to give me some energy, but all it's done is to make me want something salty. That's about all I can manage right now. Hope everyone's well.
To be continued tomorrow.

td

• td
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2004, 09:35:46 PM »

Td wins longest post award (in terms of sheer size

Did BK just call me what I think he called me?    :o
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2004, 09:36:18 PM »

I'm back! My first posting from my new home environment. I'll keep this short and sweet. The move went well. The place is somewhat chaotic right now, but I'm beginning to see what it's going to look like. Abie is still at the kennel. I put him in during the move and was going to bring him home today -- but there is still too huge a mess. Tomorrow I'll get up VERY early and try to clean up most of the boxes, so I can pick him up by noon and not be charged for another day.
I just ate a disgustingly sweet pastry of some sort to give me some energy, but all it's done is to make me want something salty. That's about all I can manage right now. Hope everyone's well.
To be continued tomorrow.

Welcome Home, Panni!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2004, 09:38:12 PM »

...How do you pronounce:
5.the vowel in the second syllable of "cauliflower"
The same as the "u" in "yuck."

I can't stand cauliflower.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2004, 09:39:08 PM »

Did BK just call me what I think he called me?    :o
Post envy.   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2004, 09:39:12 PM »

Welcome home, Panni!  I'm looking forward to many more anecdotes from your travels!

I could've typed:  WB,P! and tried for the shortest post, too.  ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2004, 09:42:20 PM »

I think very highly of Larry Grossman, especially of the song Penny mentioned, Stay With Me Nora.

When I'm playing piano and get introduced to someone, I tend to play the songs that contain their names - Laura, Tammie, etc.  Playing that one is fun, because, inevitably the Nora has never heard the song.

When I'm playing those big cattle-call type auditions (SETCs, UPTAs, NETCs, etc.), I will sometimes play one of the following as they bring each group of auditionees in:

1) "The March of the Siamese Children" from The King & I

2) The "One" vamp from A Chorus Line

or...

3) A little Chopin... from the Sonata in B-flat Minor... The slow movement... The Funeral March.

-Some people don't find the humor in the last option. ;)

...Oh, and I also have to refrain from starting the underscoring any time someone does one of the monologues from The Fantasticks.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2004, 10:10:21 PM »

Special thanks to Emily for the song - My ears still distinguish a difference between the words!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2004, 10:13:01 PM »

Second listening:  Merry and Mari sound the same but Marry is different.

Quite made my day DR Emily.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2004, 10:19:51 PM »

td:  It's all too much!
Of course there are differences more in choice of words than accents between New South Welshmen and Victorians.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2004, 10:48:17 PM »

Well... In the past few hours, I've washed the dishes, cleaned the microwave, cleaned the bathtub, cleaned the bathroom floor, washed and dried the bathroom rugs, cleaned some of the remaining dust in the bathroom (the rest will get cleaned tomorrow), and I've managed to burn two bags of microwave popcorn!  -Ugh!  The apartment smells... well, like burnt microwave popcorn.

At least the cleaning has started...  Tomorrow, I guess I should unpack my luggage from New York! ;)

WOW!  Just looked at the calendar.. Is Thanksgiving really next week already?!?!?!?

OK... That's enough random stuff for now...

OH!  The Classic Arts Channel is broadcasting some clips from the Firestone series featuring Howard Keel and Patrice Munsel... :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2004, 11:42:03 PM »

What?!?!? No posts in almost an hour?!?!?

SKAMMEN!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2004, 11:43:34 PM »

...And on that note... A Low "F" - like the ones you find on Bosendorfer grand pianos...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2004, 11:50:58 PM »

Sorry, been listening to John Williams cds and putzing over at another site, collecting restaurant weblinks.  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up