Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'D LIKE TO DO AN IMPRESSION OF MY TOOTH  (Read 18012 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:I'D LIKE TO DO AN IMPRESSION OF MY TOOTH
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2004, 08:10:44 PM »

Well, DRNoel, I think you're flogging a dead horse trying to prove a difference:

Before SWEENEY TODD  opened, Steve Sondheim told "Opera News" he was working on a ballad opera, and the closest piece I can think of to SWEENEY TODD is Britten's edition of THE BEGGAR'S OPERA.

I've named and can name more operas whose composers had assistance on orchestrations.

Len Carious sang in American premier of THE RISE AND FALL OF THE CITY OF MAHAGONNY at the Stratford, Ontario, Shakespeare Festival; according to Mr Weill it's an opera.

I stand corrected: Len Cariou is an opera singer.  In fact, forthwith, everytime I refer to him, it'll be as The Noted Opera Singer Len Cariou (akin to how Brent Barrett is always referred to as World's Sexiest Man).

I'd hate to think it's beating a dead horse, but your comments reveal you've not understand my point at all.  I've no idea why you feel compelled to point out examples of operas in which the composers have had assistance doing the orchestration.  I've never, ever, made any statement about operas not orchestrated by their composers.  There are tons of them.  I have made a statement that most composer-orchestrated works aren't musicals.  If you and I rack our brains, we might come up with a dozen musicals, at most, with orchestrations by the composer.  That's a tiny percentage, isn't it, of composer-orchestrated shows?

It's like if I say that a heavy cough is a symptom of bronchitis, and you respond that you once knew a guy with lactose intolerance who coughed a lot.  O.K.  But what does that have to do with my statement?

And here's a bit of trivia: Alan Jay Lerner's last musical, Dance a Little Closer, starred both Noted Opera Singer Len Cariou and World's Sexiest Man, Brent Barrett.

What's Opera, Doc?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Emily

« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2004, 08:13:03 PM »

Hey Jennifer,

Broadway: The Golden Age has finally come to Montreal and is playing downtown at the AMC everyday at 1pm

I found this out absolutely by accident and am happily planning my trip on Saturday :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2004, 08:14:01 PM »

Are the cupon codes still working at deep discount dvd?

The 20th is the last day they are valid.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2004, 08:18:19 PM »

DR Jane, I mentioned on Tuesday morning (the day HOUSE premiered) that I was planning on recording HOUSE since I wouldn't be at home to see it, and I also stated that I read read quite a few reviews from TV critics both locally and on the internet, and they were all very positive. It was an excellent show. That was the pilot; hopefully the subsequent episodes will be as strong.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2004, 08:18:52 PM »

DRDANISE I am pretty sure you are correct that the Blue Whale was just a set, I don't remember it being indentified by a slide or photo of an exterior, mostly just the sign!
Click here for a photo of the exterior of the Blue Whale.

AKA the Pacific Design Center in West Hollywood.  The "Blue Whale" is the building's nickname.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2004, 08:20:04 PM »

The PR gig went very well for NUNCRACKERS tonight (the five of us do seem to be able to make some noise). Our later run-through also went well with a few breakdowns. We open in two weeks.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2004, 08:23:00 PM »

What's Opera, Doc?
Leave Chuck Jones out of this!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2004, 08:23:57 PM »

I stand corrected: Len Cariou is an opera singer.  In fact, forthwith, everytime I refer to him, it'll be as The Noted Opera Singer Len Cariou (akin to how Brent Barrett is always referred to as World's Sexiest Man).

I'd hate to think it's beating a dead horse, but your comments reveal you've not understand my point at all.  I've no idea why you feel compelled to point out examples of operas in which the composers have had assistance doing the orchestration.  I've never, ever, made any statement about operas not orchestrated by their composers.  There are tons of them.  I have made a statement that most composer-orchestrated works aren't musicals.  If you and I rack our brains, we might come up with a dozen musicals, at most, with orchestrations by the composer.  That's a tiny percentage, isn't it, of composer-orchestrated shows?

It's like if I say that a heavy cough is a symptom of bronchitis, and you respond that you once knew a guy with lactose intolerance who coughed a lot.  O.K.  But what does that have to do with my statement?

And here's a bit of trivia: Alan Jay Lerner's last musical, Dance a Little Closer, starred both Noted Opera Singer Len Cariou and World's Sexiest Man, Brent Barrett.

What's Opera, Doc?

Just don't get confused, Noel, and refer to Len Cariou as the World's Sexiest Opera Singer.  I don't think you would find anyone who would agree with that, including Mr. Cariou!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2004, 08:24:46 PM »

Don't get me started on the Pacific Design Center, an eyesore of the worst order.  I'm happy to say that architect Cesar Pelli's New York work has been far more restrained; attractive, even.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2004, 08:25:03 PM »

Glad your PR show went well, MATTH!

Time for a piece of pumpkin pie and whipped cream.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2004, 08:27:47 PM »

Good Evening!

I definitely need to get off my butt-cheeks tomorrow and do something.  Anything.  Even my boredom is getting boring.  :-\

However...

It was nice catching some "Must See TV" tonight for the first time in a while.

"Joey"- eh.
"Will & Grace" - eh.  But the guest star was nice.  Sort of.
"The Apprentice" - Talk about whining!  However, the ending was good, I guess.  However, after all the promos, I was expecting a different twist.
"ER" - Very emotional stories tonight.  -And you can tell they're gearing up for Noah Wylie's departure.

And now the News at 11:00 - which has a new feature every Thursday night.  The Restaurant Report.  It's not a review segment, but rather it's an inspection segment - as in health department.  They go into restaurants that got cited by the Health Department, and they do a follow up.  Alas, one of the places they went to tonight had fixed their five "critical violations", but then the live cameras caught another one in progress (no gloves on the servers putting the cheese and lettuce on the tacos (Mexican place, duh)).  And it was a lunch rush.  -I have to wonder if any viewers recognized their lunches on screen tonight.  They also list other restaurants that have been cited for critical violations.  Of course, the report is supported by the requisite "thud" sound effect as the number of violations appears on the screen.  On the bright side, they also site restaurants that have received perfect scores on their recent health department inspections.  This week's honoree was a location of The Waffle House.

-Isn't that just too too?  Couldn't you just plotz plotz?
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2004, 08:28:16 PM »

SCROOGE, THE MUSICAL (subtitled: The Living Monument to the Memory of Anthony Newley) opens one week from tomorrow.  That wouldn't be too terrible if it were not for the fact that we have exactly four rehearsals left before we open, the last rehearsal being on Tuesday evening!
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2004, 08:42:56 PM »

Hmm... Well, I was planning on popping up to New York City on December 6 for the book-signing, but since I just got my "part" for Hallelujah, Baby! in today's mail, something tells me I should probably stay close to the theatre.  The orchestra has also been in called in for four additional rehearsals for the show - an extra 16 hours in all!  The contractor called me up, and asked, "Are you interested in making a little extra Christmas money?"  ;)

However, we now have no rehearsal on Sunday, the 5th, so... Hmm... We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2004, 08:45:46 PM »

...Of course, the report is supported by the requisite "thud" sound effect as the number of violations appears on the screen....
News reports with special sound effects...gee, I thought Fox News had that idea under copyright!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2004, 08:46:57 PM »

SCROOGE, THE MUSICAL (subtitled: The Living Monument to the Memory of Anthony Newley) opens one week from tomorrow.  That wouldn't be too terrible if it were not for the fact that we have exactly four rehearsals left before we open, the last rehearsal being on Tuesday evening!
Does this mean we can now call you our Living Monument?   ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2004, 08:50:27 PM »

As long as we're using visuals...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2004, 09:17:14 PM »

Has anyone seen the play NATIONAL PASTTIME?  Did you like it?  Were you moved by it?  Were you uncomfortable with the use of the "N" word?
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2004, 09:44:31 PM »

OK... I think I'm going to turn into a Wussburger now...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

François de Paris

« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2004, 09:51:18 PM »

Visuals???

My Castle has been newly repainted!
Don't believe me?
Check!

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID200330.asp

MBarnum

« Reply #139 on: November 18, 2004, 09:53:41 PM »

Ok, I think I will be needing to go shopping at DeepdiscountDVD some more with that 20% off discount...just found out that they have 3 DVD volumes of LOVE THAT BOB and 1 volume of the show PRIVATE SECRETARY! I love both of those shows!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2004, 10:09:46 PM »

Hmmmm.... I just read last night's post by dear bk about a threatened bitch slapping at my new home environment. There are two problems with that. 1. Abie wouldn't allow it (neither would I, for that matter -- and I DID study Judo in theatre school)... 2. It would be difficult to find me among the boxes.

I'm enjoying the NHE. The luxury of space is marvy. Last night I slept in the OTHER bedroom to keep Abie company on the old bed. (Okay - I have to confess it wasn't totally altruistic. I like cuddling with the mutt.)
Back to work. I'll try to get back to my "normal" posting self by the end of the weekend.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2004, 10:21:19 PM »

Bitch-slapper vs judo champ square off in the battle of the year!  Film at eleven.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2004, 10:50:07 PM »

Don't get me started on the Pacific Design Center, an eyesore of the worst order.  I'm happy to say that architect Cesar Pelli's New York work has been far more restrained; attractive, even.
Compared with the Courthouse Center Pelli designed in 1973 for Columbus, Indiana, which I find decidedly bland, the Pacific Design Center (1975) is a bold step forward.

Of course the work Pelli has done since then, in NYC and elsewhere, has shown artistic advances.  He's his own man now, running the show as he sees fit.  He didn't have his own firm until '77; up to that time, his work was done under other firms auspices.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2004, 10:56:58 PM »

Hey Columbus Indiana is progressive - some of the people wear shoes every day of the week!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #144 on: November 18, 2004, 10:58:10 PM »

MBARNUM those ARE great shows.  Hmmmmm....I might need to get those as well.  I like LOVE THAT BOB except when he plays his own grandfather - I never thought Cummings looked much older when he was playing the old man - watching it today, I can't believe he was being presented as the "swinging bachelor" - whew!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #145 on: November 18, 2004, 11:05:03 PM »

Matt H, you're right, of course.  And I did know it.  I do an embarrassingly tacky impression of Penny Singleton's sort of whiny wail on  it (It is Penny Singleton, isn't it?)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up