Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MIXMASTER  (Read 20714 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:MIXMASTER
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2005, 09:44:03 AM »

Sandra good history vibes!

The ones of the Vixter are some of the best photos in the group.  She certainly has grown up since the photo on your avatar. :)

Well she is 43 now....  ;)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jennifer

« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2005, 09:55:57 AM »

DR Elmore, good news about the deposit!

DR Rodzinski, I have heard of LUMS.  I think they have one in Plattsburgh.

DR Jose, you mentioned the Canadian leg of the MAMMA MIA tour.  That reminded me I have been seeing ads that the show is coming here in July.  I do love the show.  But not sure if I will go.

vixmom

« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2005, 10:00:40 AM »

DR Jose, you mentioned the Canadian leg of the MAMMA MIA tour.  That reminded me I have been seeing ads that the show is coming here in July.  I do love the show.  But not sure if I will go.

That's the problem with living on the Island of Long, we never get any show tours!!

Jennifer

« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2005, 10:03:38 AM »

Good new job vibes to DR Ann. ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good school vibes to DR Sandra. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Btw, I watched last night's DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES and I have a question.  They always seem to focus to much on the 4 main characters (lynnette, susan, gabrielle and bree). Yet they often seem to have completely separate stories.  I don't even think that any of them were in a scene together in last night's show.  And this happens often.

I really think that they should try to overlap some of their stories. Or have them in more scenes together.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2005, 10:05:55 AM »

Two hydrogen atoms meet.

One says "I've lost my electron."

The other says  "Are you sure?"    

The  first replies "Yes, I'm positive."

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2005, 10:05:59 AM »

That's the problem with living on the Island of Long, we never get any show tours!!

Ha. We barely get any. :(

But you aren't gonna get me to feel sorry for you being so close to Broadway! ;)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2005, 10:06:25 AM »

I used to read every damn thing that Stephen King published, but it was getting to the point that it seemed like something new was coming off the assembly line every four months or so.  I think I stopped after Insomnia.

My favorite books of King's are"
The Stand -- literally gave me nightmares!
The Shining -- my intorduction to King.  Everyone was reading it during my first year of college.  We all went to the movie together and hated it.  My opinion has changed over the years, though.
Salem's Lot
Misery

I also like The Other and Harvest Home.  And I remember that I started reading Rosemary's Baby, but for some reason I didn't finish it.  I think it might have been that I had bought a used paperback copy that smelled badly.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2005, 10:08:58 AM »

Btw, I watched last night's DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES and I have a question.  They always seem to focus to much on the 4 main characters (lynnette, susan, gabrielle and bree). Yet they often seem to have completely separate stories.  I don't even think that any of them were in a scene together in last night's show.  And this happens often.

I really think that they should try to overlap some of their stories. Or have them in more scenes together.

If you want overlapping/intermingled lives, I can recommend that you watch "Golden Girls" in rerun on Lifetime.  :D

The "Desperate Housewives" converge when necessary. The show is interesting because they each have separate stories. Thus far, the writers haven't made a wrong move, IMO
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 10:19:16 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2005, 10:10:18 AM »

DR JRand54, my brother took my mom to a cabaret show for mothers day...I don't think any of my brother's would ever appear on stage...unless they'd had a few too many beers!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2005, 10:15:55 AM »

Ron, close but it would have been 1960 when you saw the movie.  That was the year before I met Flip.

I often cringe when I watch pre-women’s lib movies.  It was the times and I know I believed in much of it.  Remember Doris went on to warn women to pay attention to their own finances and not to simply rely on their husbands.  

Matt H I concider THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT one of my guilty pleasures.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2005, 10:18:50 AM »

Ron, close but it would have been 1960 when you saw the movie.  That was the year before I met Flip.

I often cringe when I watch pre-women’s lib movies.  It was the times and I know I believed in much of it.  Remember Doris went on to warn women to pay attention to their own finances and not to simply rely on their husbands.  

Matt H I concider THE GLASS BOTTOM BOAT one of my guilty pleasures.

How funny....I had been thinking it was a 1958 film.  How the mind plays tricks on you after a certain age...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2005, 10:20:40 AM »

Three lengths of string walk into a bar and sit at a table.  One of them gets up and goes to the bar to order drinks.  When he orders, the bartender sneers at him and says, "Sorry, bud--I don't serve lengths of string."  The string goes back to the table and tells his friends what happened.

"Let me try",  says one of the other lengths of string.  He goes to the bar but before he can say anything, the bartender roars, "Look, I told your friend already--I don't serve your kind here!"  The length of string goes back to the table and tells the other two that they won't be served.

The third length of string gets up and says, "Let me try something."  He goes into the bathroom and twists himself into a tangle and unfurls his ends a bit.  Then he walks over to the bar and quickly orders three beers.

The bartender narrows his eyes at the string and says, "Hey, wait a minute.  Aren't you one of those three pieces of string that came in here a few minutes ago?"

And the string replies, "Nope.  I'm a frayed knot."
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2005, 10:28:41 AM »

Oh, IN THE AUDIENCE...oh, okay.  Thanks for the voluminous clarification, DRMBARNUM.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2005, 10:32:39 AM »

I shall now be on my way to the Oaks of Sherman to mix Mr. Haines.

Keep the home fries burning until my returning, you dear, dear people out there in the dark.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2005, 10:49:55 AM »

Mix it up.

Tom Mix.

Mix and match.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2005, 10:52:01 AM »

And the string replies, "Nope.  I'm a frayed knot."

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Oh-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h-h![/move]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2005, 10:58:07 AM »

...And the string replies...
I now have the reason why der Brucer hasn't been posting.

I just read what DRDtM posted aloud to der B, and he groaned.

Absolutely unseemly.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2005, 10:59:16 AM »

I've found some more rice.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2005, 11:10:04 AM »

I shall now be on my way to the Oaks of Sherman to mix Mr. Haines.

Keep the home fries burning until my returning, you dear, dear people out there in the dark.

oh dear, is he separating?

vixmom

« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2005, 11:11:05 AM »

I've found some more rice.

That's the dinner problem solved then! ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2005, 11:15:31 AM »

I now have the reason why der Brucer hasn't been posting.

I just read what DRDtM posted aloud to der B, and he groaned.

Absolutely unseemly.

I beat him to it!

And I'm still here!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2005, 11:52:27 AM »

You and Yvonne deCarlo.

Jennifer

« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2005, 12:04:54 PM »

The "Desperate Housewives" converge when necessary. The show is interesting because they each have separate stories. Thus far, the writers haven't made a wrong move, IMO

I agree that it is very interesting how they each have their own stories.  But for me, I'd rather there was more overlapping.  Plus I love the scenes they are all in together.  I love the poker games, or the pool party Gabrielle had 2 weeks ago.  I do think it has been a very interesting choice to keep 4 storylines.  But I just find myself wanting to see them all together.

And I was curious if other viewers felt the same.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #113 on: May 09, 2005, 12:25:17 PM »

elmore, PIGEONS FROM HELL is a great horror story by Robert E. Howard, who wrote the Conan stories.

WENDIGO, I believe, is by Algernon Blackwood, who wrote many a classic horror story.

I have a friend in Lexington whose library is almost as big as mine and he collects mostly supernatural and horror fiction.  I get most of my recommendations for horror from him, he knows my penchant is for Victorian or early modern.  I've never read Stephen King.  I read Dean Koontz once when someone wanted me to adapt on of his books into a movie.  I ended up not taking the job.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #114 on: May 09, 2005, 12:34:43 PM »

CP now I’m curious.  You didn’t care for the book so you turned down the job?  I’m thinking it wasn’t that simple and there were other reasons?  

MBarnum

« Reply #115 on: May 09, 2005, 12:49:44 PM »

DR JRand54, I see that SWING PARADE OF 1946, starring Ms. Gale Storm, is coming to DVD later this month...have you seen this one? If so is it any good?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: May 09, 2005, 12:51:53 PM »

I just got home via the bus from hell!  First of all, it was packed with nonpaying noisy juveniles hogging most of the seats, and we had a crazy elderly woman whose medication had clearly just worn off.  She had a high whiney voice and she was talking loudly about circumsized organs, how no one wanted  to f*** her, getting screwed by New York State, several racial problems, over and over and over.  I even moved to the very back of the bus to keep from listening to her, while wishing her dead, off the bus, or both at the same time.  And then, she got off at my stop!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #117 on: May 09, 2005, 12:51:57 PM »

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES was most enjoyable. I can't remember liking a nighttime soap this much since the heyday of DYNASTY.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2005, 12:56:33 PM »

On the question of the desperate housewives having a merged storyline, I think they all have their own problems and things to deal with, and as the season is drawing to a close, naturally each of their stories is going to spiral into its own resolutions (or cliffhanger) in preparation for Season 2.

Like DR Ron, I think the writers have played the season about as smart and canny as it would be possible to do, and I am forever grateful for that recap show two weeks ago that put so many of the mysteries into clearer focus so that last night's show made such complete sense.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2005, 12:56:37 PM »

Jane, I didn't dislike the book, but there were more compelling irons in the fire.  I actually went in to see the folks about it.  They owned another script of mine that they had never done.  The executive, who had been my executive on PSYCHO III, so desperately wanted me to do the job, she said she'd give me the other script back free and clear, if I did the job...It was tempting but I turned it down anyway...I can't remember what I might have been working on at the time.  But I think they also wanted to change (needlessly) elements of the novel that I actually quite liked.

In retrospect, I wish I had done it...just to have gotten my other script back. Still it seems well I didn't do it. The picture was later made called HIDEAWAY (also the title of the book).  I never saw it, but Maltin's book gives it no stars, only a BOMB designation and calls it "interminable" and says that Koontz wisely tried to have his name taken off the film.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up