Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CONDIMENTS AND GARNISHES  (Read 20342 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
CONDIMENTS AND GARNISHES
« on: May 15, 2005, 12:01:27 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know the notes were spiced up with condiments and garnishes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which will be as soon as they find some A1 Steak Sauce.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 12:00:34 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:CONDIMENTS AND GARNISHES
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 12:05:34 AM »

And the word of the day is: HEINOUS!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 12:05:56 AM »

BK-
Do you have fond memories of the Z Channel?
I'm watching a documentary about it right now. It sounds like it was incredible.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 12:20:57 AM »

Like BK, I also love only Heinz 57 ketchup (not catsup)!  Mustard...I can can take it or leave it, but if I eat any German sausages, they must have yellow mustard.

Mayo is fine, as long as there isn't too much.  That would be most unseemly!  The only time where too much mayo is not a problem is when I have tomatoes on the sandwich/burger/whatever, and the tomatoes and mayo are touching (not in that way! ;)) and they mix and make their own kind of tomato-y mayo.

Onions are ALWAYS welcome on a sandwich...unless it's peanut butter and jelly.  That would not be good at all. :P

Otherwise, relish and/or pickles are good.  And Skipper's has as dill tartar sauce that I love.  I like dill!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 12:22:19 AM »

Off to bed.  Goodnight all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 12:52:57 AM »

Z channel was great.  They, of course, had the good taste to help make Nudie Musical into the cult hit it is.  Where was the documentary shown?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2005, 12:53:48 AM »

HEINOUS, baby, HEINOUS!

And now - Dino at the piano.

And I?  I shall now toddle off to the bedroom environment for my beauty sleep.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 01:01:07 AM »

Documentary on IFC. "Z Channel: A Magnificent Obsession"
I had never heard of the channel until tonight.
Just a great documentary on several levels:
--In expressing what the channel was and how it was something the likes of which will never be seen again
--Incredible footage from dozens of great films, not brief clips, but lengthy clips
--The ultimate tragedy of the loss of the channel and the murder-suicide by the guy who oversaw its programming
--Excellent interview segments from Altman to Jacqueline Bisset
Just a real eye opener all around.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 01:15:36 AM »

Also, I might add, this documentary was made in a simple style. The footage consisted of tons of film footage, shots of the Z Channel's magazine, interview subjects speaking and some slow-mo LA scenery.

You know something is done well when it makes you nostalgic for something you didn't even experience!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 01:16:50 AM »

All alone am I with just the beat of my heart.

A confession: I'm jealous of all you people who have yards. I miss having a yard.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 05:30:56 AM »

Dear Friend BK, it's been lousy here with allergies as well.  Of course, part of the problem is that every blooming tree on 82nd Street and the trees in Central Park and Riverside Park have their pollen wafted through my window and up my sinuses by an ill wind blowing no good whatsoever.  Bring your medications with you.

DRGeorge, I loved your photos, but I fear your back yard is the main source of allergy problems on the west coast! ;D

DRTCB, I, too, liked the film PHANTOM OF THE OPERA more than the stage show, but what was a magical scenic effect onstage ofthe candelabra rising from the floor was totally moronic in the film.  The other big problem I had was chronologic: Mme Giry is about twice Raoul's and Christine's age, being Meg's mother, but in the black and white sequences she looks no older than Patrick Wilson in his LITTLE BIG MAN makeup.  If he's 80 at the end, she's got to be pushing 100!  There were other silly things as well:  Emmy Rossum wearing a gown cut to her nipples and only a flimsy cape to visit her father's tomb during a snowfall,  Emmy Rossum in her underwear on the roof of the Paris Opera and Patrick Wilson refusing to acknowledge that she has a problem with frozen nipples.  I thought the film looked great, much better than the show; Joel Schumaker is living proof that you can take the director out of shop window decorating but you can't always take the decorator out of the director.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 05:37:42 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2005, 05:59:33 AM »

This must be the first question of the day on a Sunday in a long time (if not the first) as it is usually is a free for all day.

So my answer is mayo.

and to get the bad joke answer out of the way......
Favorite condiment: Ramses or Shieks
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2005, 06:09:19 AM »

DRCharlesPogue, I may miss your HERCULES tomorrow evening due to pre-surgical demands.  I hope it will be on DVD in the near future.  I'm looking forward to seeing it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2005, 06:56:09 AM »

Allergies.  Why else would I be up at seven on a Sunday morning.

HEINOUS!

Michael

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2005, 07:07:13 AM »

Here is a photo from one of the very first info commercials selling quick bake ovens with our very own BK

Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2005, 07:16:06 AM »

Now, see the line of the table at the bottom.  That's where the frame line should end in 1:85.  See with top of the window?  That's where the frame line should end in 1:85.  That is why open matte is a travesty.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2005, 07:19:55 AM »

Last night, bk wrote: "MattH, if you are talking about that documentary on The Third Man that TMC has been airing, that is just about the worst piece of merde I've ever seen.  The writer, producer, director ought to have his writing, producing, directing license revoked, since the documentary was more about him and his offensive hip with-it technique than it was about The Third Man.  If they cut to the projector with the film running amok one more time I would have flown to the UK to personally brain the cretin."

Yep, that's the one. I found it VERY annoying to have portions of the film being shown on lampshades and blinds and vases.

However, there was some interesting information imparted about Welles' demands and Selznick's involvement that I didn't know so in that regard, I didn't find the doc a total loss. But the motif for the film was definitely irritating, and while I had planned to dub a DVD-R of it to add to my Criterion DVD, I thought better of it after it concluded, and I didn't do it.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Danise

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2005, 07:23:35 AM »

All alone am I with just the beat of my heart.

A confession: I'm jealous of all you people who have yards. I miss having a yard.

Any time your in the area, I will save the grass mowing and trimming and weed pulling as a gift for you, DR Rodzinski !  And I shall sit on the patio with my feet up, sipping my cool water!  Is that nice of me or what?   ;D ;) ;D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2005, 07:34:06 AM »

I’m starting to think I have Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom around here.  Late yesterday, I went into the back yard and found a two foot black snake!

Now if you have to run across a snake, a black snake is a very fine fellow to find.  They are non poisonous and are very good to have around.  My only beef with them is that they eat lizards.

Most snakes will turn tail and “run” if given the chance and that’s just what this guy did.  I chased him to make sure he went out of the yard so the dogs wouldn’t harm him and that was that.  

DR Jane, it wouldn’t be worth the bandwidth for me to list EVERY Sci Fi book I have read.  Anyway, I bet I’ve forgotten more then I can name.    ;D :D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2005, 07:37:32 AM »

Yes, I forgot about the projecting the film on window blinds and even some of the interviewees faces.  I mean, really!

Definitely some interesting information, too, which made this idiot's unfortunate "style" choices even more annoying.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2005, 07:38:14 AM »

As I look at my window on a Sunday morning at seven-forty, there are people walking briskly.  Are they NUTS?

Danise

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2005, 07:41:31 AM »

DRCharlesPogue, Your HERCULES is the cover of our local TV guide (the one you get in the paper).  

There is an article in it as well.    Would you like a scan of either or both?  I didn't know it was going to be on so late on a Monday.  Yikes!  

You know what a hard time I have keeping my eyes open after nine--I may have to wait for the DVD as well.    
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 07:46:13 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2005, 07:53:05 AM »

Now, see the line of the table at the bottom.  That's where the frame line should end in 1:85.  See with top of the window?  That's where the frame line should end in 1:85.  That is why open matte is a travesty.

What does 1:85 mean?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2005, 07:55:07 AM »

Gotta go check on an E-bay auction that is coming up to the end.  I shall swoop in the last minute and win my item.  Be back.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2005, 07:56:18 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmm....have the sparkling prizes for TFNM question fest been sent?

Hmmmmmmmmm....actually just LAST Sunday, I did suggest a topic:  What was your favorite picture of your Mother?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2005, 08:02:27 AM »

Brooks Catsup. :)  Hellman's Mayonnaise :)  French's Mustard :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2005, 08:02:59 AM »

Good auction vibes to DRDANISE.....the snake-bird lady.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2005, 08:03:10 AM »

Ketchup is also my favorite condiment. Of course, Heinz 57 is the best of the name brands, but I'm not so much of a purist that I'm willing to spend the extra DOLLARS to buy it over my local store brand. I buy it when it's on sale and the store brand at all other times.

I've never liked mustard as a topping though, of course, I've cooked with it many times.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2005, 08:03:45 AM »

My Yahoo Mail is down completely this morning.....there must be some issues at YAHOO!!

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2005, 08:05:22 AM »

DR Danise, 1.85 refers to the aspect ratio of most non-anamorphic movies: 1.85:1 in terms of width:height.

A Cinemascope/Panavision/Super 35 film is 2.35:1 (or other slightly variable ratios in that vicinity).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up