Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: EXCELSIOR!  (Read 18805 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:EXCELSIOR!
« Reply #180 on: June 12, 2005, 07:53:36 PM »

When I got up this morning shortly past 11:00, I realized that for me to get downtown by 1:00, I needed to be on the subway by 12:30, yadda-yadda-yadda...

I didn't make it down there until 1:30 which was OK.  I wasn't playing the matinee today - nor the evening show - but it was Capital Pride today, and I was meeting a friend down there.  Well, he was running late too as it turned out, so we eventually met up with each other in the middle of "fair" on Pennsylvania Avenue.

Pride was Pride.  It was also a little boring this year - at least to me.  Yeah, the usual suspects were there, but it all seemed a bit subdued.  Apparently, all the fun happened last night at the parade.

*Oh, when I ran into the theatre to put my bags in my locker, one of the guys in the cast mentioned that someone ran up to him in the parade yesterday.  There were a group of Mamma Mia!-ans marching.  Well, someone ran up to Tim... "OHH!!!  I love your show!!!  I saw it in Richmond!  Loved it there!  Is Jose in your pit still?!?"

;D

In any case...

I did my usual three laps of the festival.  Oh - the heat, ugh, was it HOT!  It actually didn't get as hot as the weathermen were predicting, but it did get a bit toasty as the afternoon progressed.  And the humidity wasn't too bad either.  And, thankfully, it was a bit breezy at times too.  But I do think the high temps may have kept some people home, and a bit subdued.

*One "strange" thing I noticed was that there were plenty of people handing out samples of grooming products - L'Oreal was pushing their new men's line big time! - but there was no one handing out condoms.  I've been going to Pride events for the past 20 years, and there's always been people handing out free condoms.  And with the cases of AIDS on the rise in the gay community (again)... -But that's another story... And another bulletin board...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #181 on: June 12, 2005, 08:07:50 PM »

So...

Part of the reason I went down to Capital Pride today was that I was asked to play the choreography rehearsal from 5:30-7:30.  The assistant conductor normally plays those, but he wanted a true dinner break today, and since I was available, I was more than happy to fill in for him.

So, after walking around the Festival, and having a nice leisurely late lunch at Teaism (Chicken Bento Box - Tempura Chicken, Sweet Potatoes with Miso Dressing, Cucumber and Pickled Ginger, White Rice with Seaweed and Sesame Seeds; Oatmeal-Toffee-Chocolate Chip Cookie; Ginger Limeade (fresh-squeezed!)... Oh, and a brief shopping excursion through Barnes & Noble - Going with the theme of the day, I purchased "Longtime Companion", "A Home at the End of the World", and a Yoga DVD just for kicks.  And since it was Buy 2, Get 1 Free time..  but I digress...

So, I head over to the theatre at 5:00 to get things set up in the makeshift rehearsal room on the fourth floor of the National Theatre.  I dig out the rehearsal metronome and the conductor's score from the trunk, get set up in the room, and practice for a while.  Well... 5:30 rolls around... No one there...

I head down to Stage Management...  No one there...

I check the rehearsal board - Choreography with Andrew - 5:30-7:30...

I call the assistant conductor... "Just stay there - They probably went over to the Pride festival since the show was doing a presentation... Just hang out. I know they're supposed to be there..."

5:45... No one there...

So, I head outside, and call my friend, Leigh, to play catch up . -And we'll be heading out to dinner on Tuesday to do more catching up in person.

5:55... I spot one of the Stage Managers walking into the building.  I ask him about the rehearsal... "Umm... I don't know.  I'm not in the building yet."

Grrrrr....

6:00... I head back upstairs...  No one there...

6:01... I head back to Stage Management, and ask - since he's "in the building" now, what's going on with the rehearsal...  He calls the Dance Captain who informs him that he already took care of everything before the matinee, so he cancelled the 5:30 rehearsal.. Without telling stage management or anyone else...

"OK - You're excused, you can go...."

I head back upstairs, pack up all the stuff.  Head downstairs, put it all away.  I call the assistant conductor, leave a message for him - with more than a hint of annoyance - and head back to the Metro to take the Orange back to the Dunn Loring station...

...Of course, since the Dance Captain knew at NOON(!!!) that he was going to cancel the 5:30 rehearsal...  I didn't really need to head downtown today at all - even with Pride going on, but I figured I might as well kill two birds with one stone, and spend more than two hours downtown since the Metro rides would be an hour total....  And, since I had wanted to stay in Richmond another night... Ah, well....

Grrr....

But, on the bright side... I still get paid for two hours of work, so...

However, I wanted a beer when I got home... and I still want one...

Instead, I've been 'settling' for a Sprite and more Dark Chocolate m&m's....

:-\
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 08:12:04 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #182 on: June 12, 2005, 08:09:03 PM »

"Where are my rubbers?
La-la, la-la-la!"
Check your wallet.  Play safe.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

François de Paris

« Reply #183 on: June 12, 2005, 08:10:36 PM »

*One "strange" thing I noticed was that there were plenty of people handing out samples of grooming products - L'Oreal was pushing their new men's line big time! - but there was no one handing out condoms.  I've been going to Pride events for the past 20 years, and there's always been people handing out free condoms.  And with the cases of AIDS on the rise in the gay community (again)... -But that's another story... And another bulletin board...

Well, I guess that's why I was singing

"Where are my rubbers
To ford the storm?
La-la, la-la-la!"

a few posts away!!

It's dreadful the way most young folks ignore condoms AGAIN!
A bunch of pricks to me! >:(

WHEN ARE WE GONNA LEARN TO DO THE RIGHT THINGS???

And we sure should NOT listen to any Pope! :o

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: June 12, 2005, 08:13:52 PM »

First we had a shaker, then Brock Peters goes over a cliff???  I've met Brock several times, and I've recorded him once.  Great guy - if it was him, I hope he'll come out of it okay.  He hasn't been in the greatest shape anyway.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #185 on: June 12, 2005, 08:14:03 PM »

Just home from the board meeting. A record 6.5 hours.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #186 on: June 12, 2005, 08:15:10 PM »

So....

That's where I've been the past couple of hours...

Now I'm just making sure to keep myself hydrated.  The heat was getting uncomfortable.  I did carry water with me while walking around, but still...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2005, 08:16:34 PM »

*Oh, and I'm actually a little surprised and annoyed that the assistant conductor nor the Dance Captain has yet to call me to apologize/acknowledge the "mix up"....

Just let it go.... Breathe... 1... 2... 3...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2005, 08:17:56 PM »

I'm also sick of the kewpie doll curls...
Aren't kewpie dolls bald?  With just a fringe around the head that are curled?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #189 on: June 12, 2005, 08:21:32 PM »

DR Ben - Glad to know that Anthony was able to celebrate with his new castmates - and his birthday twin, Nick.  And, yes, Nick is quite easy on the eyes.  Very much so.  And he does tan nicely too.  Hmm... I wonder if I can get down to Roanoke for the show then.   It's been ages since I've been to Roanoke - and I've never been to Mill Mountain - but I have worked with a bunch of their regular summer staff on other projects at other theatres.

*OH!!!!!!  Please pass this onto Anthony, if you could.... The next time he sees Nick, if he could sing, "Baby, baby, baby, baby, baby..."  -Start on a G and sing down to a C - Sol-Fa-Mi-Re-Do.  Preferably in a high, pop, boy-band voice.  -I'll explain later.

;D

*Or have him ask Nick if he has the "duet" we did on his iPod still?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2005, 08:24:26 PM »

Having a relaxing day.  I was taken to the Getty, where I've never been and where I will probably never be again.  I found it very strange - having to take a tram to actually get to the buildings, and then all these hundreds of people wandering around, noisily.  It's like the museum version of Knott's Berry Farm.
I had a similar reaction.  It's like this ultra-modern, sterile enviornment surrounding all these antiquities, totally out of context and enclosed in pyrex or something like that.  Very eeewww, when it shouldn't be.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #191 on: June 12, 2005, 08:27:16 PM »

I wish we had the fire flies.  I would LOVE to see some pictures of them (hint, hint). ...
The problem with photographs of fireflies is that they exist in the twilight or nighttime.  You can't see the bugs, just their fluorescence.  I'm not sure how I'd go about photographing them.

Just let them fill your dreams, I guess.

(Not too bad, for post 5000.)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #192 on: June 12, 2005, 08:28:43 PM »

I certainly hope and pray that it wasn't Mr. Peters.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #193 on: June 12, 2005, 08:39:41 PM »

First jobs... Hmm...

I actually think my first legitimate paying job was my first summer of four (three?) at Coast Guard headquarters in DC.  I started there the summer between my senior year in high school and my freshman year in college.  I was a GS-er.  A clerk.  I worked in Enlisted Records my first summer, then "upgraded" to Officer Records the next two, then to some special project for the Merchant Marine my last summer.  I worked 7:00am-3:30 - sometimes 3:15 if the supervisor let up take our last mandated break at the end of the day.  I actually got used to getting up that early - and I could also ride in with my father sometimes since he was still with the DoT in Mrs. Dole's office.  And I was home early enough in the afternoon that I could take a nap if needed.  The schedule only really became a hassle when I was in tech for a show.... UGH!

I was a file clerk.  No real brain power needed, but I was always amazed at some of the other people in my office who still didn't seem to know the proper "order" of the alphabet or ordinal numbers - we filed a bunch of stuff according to the final four digits of someone's Social Security number.

My first "gig" was most likely playing background music for some rinky-dink reception in high school.  I would make $30 for the evening - which was pretty good at the time for a 15-year old.

My first "real live show" was a summer production of Company that Arlington County was putting on in Lubber Run Park (an amphitheater).  I was one of 4 rehearsal pianists hired for the show.  -They were looking for one, but since four showed up, they decided to use all four.  It made things easier to rehearse multiple things, and only two of us were scheduled to play the run of the show.  However, the "honorarium" ended up being divided among the four of us, so...  But it was my first "real" theatre gig, and after that I was a goner!

I went right into other community theatre productions of Sweeney Todd, Baby, Kiss Me, Kate, Pippin (three in a row!), Fiddler on the Roof (four productions in a row! - don't ask), etc., etc., etc... Some of them paid... Some of the didn't... But it was work.  And recognition.  It was during this time that I also first worked with Eric Schaeffer and Donna Migliaccio - used to be Lillard - who would go on to found Signature Theatre.

*I actually did find it a little "weird" that even in community theatre, the musicians were usually paid a little "something" for their time, while the actors mainly got some decent cast parties.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #194 on: June 12, 2005, 08:44:03 PM »

Just home from the board meeting. A record 6.5 hours.
Record short or record long?

MBarnum

« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2005, 08:50:33 PM »

First job was as a telemarketer, selling tickets to the Shriner's Circus or the Fireman's Ball or something like that...a most unpleasant job...next was a short 4 hour stint at Bresler's 33 Flavors.

I try to forget both jobs.

Of course I had the baby-sitting and lawn mowing jobs as well.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: June 12, 2005, 08:51:14 PM »

Footnote:  The production of Company was pretty decent.  We had an Australian director.  Some far out set designer.  However, our original Amy was "fired" a few days before opening.  But still... The county splurged on a full pit band - I still remember marvelling at the percussion set up.  Heck!  We had a drum set player AND a percussionist! -Loved those vibes.

However...

This was the BIG summer musical in the park.  The Big Family Musical in the Park!  Well... The morning after we opened, the switchboard of the Arlington County Parks and Recreation Department was apparently quite busy.  When we showed up for the show the second night, there were big disclaimers posted on all the entrances to the park stating that the piece dealt with adult issues and contained adult situations and adult language.

They kept the pot-smoking and the few four-letter words in.  However, the one thing I noticed was a change in the "Tick-Tock Dance".  (How I LOVED being surrounded by that music!)  After Bobby and April "introduce" themselves to each other, the director had them pull down this big window shade - like it was his bedroom window.  On the window shade was the face of a clock - the numbers in a circle.  Well, they kept the solo dancer dancing in her lingerie - a teddy - (Her name was Susan, and she was quite a good dancer, and quite beautiful too), but they cut what Bobby and April were doing during the number.  Every couple of measures, a big light would go on behind the window shade.  And there, in silhouette, were Bobby and April "making" the hours as the night went on.  Midnight was a them hugging.  But then... 1:00... 2:00... 3:00 was interesting... 4:00 was scandalous... and 6:00 had people gasping!  Needless to say, all that was cut, and the action was just focused on Susan dancing in here teddy.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2005, 08:51:45 PM »

I have only once suit. I wear it for interviews, funerals, and weddings.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2005, 08:52:18 PM »

We've had Honey visiting again over the weekend.

Honey is a pretty spaniel mix, chocolate brown with blond markings around her mouth and spotting her eyebrows.  She's an affectionate sort, but seven dogs in the house is too much.  Fortunately, we're handing her off to another foster home tomorrow.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: June 12, 2005, 08:53:29 PM »

Footnote #2:  It was while working on Company that I met my friend, Rachel, who I will hopefully see sometime this week.   She just had another baby girl a few months ago, and I have yet to meet Olivia.

I also met Chris Moscatiello who let me stay with him last summer in LA, and also ended up doing the audio for the Oklahoma trailer for What If?.

Rachel was playing violin in the orchestra, and Chris was (already) doing sound.

I've known them for about 21 years now.  WOW!

:)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 08:55:58 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #200 on: June 12, 2005, 08:54:10 PM »

Boy, was I a lazy slob today...just sat around and watched TV...a few episodes of SKY KING and an old 1947 murder mystery called THE HAT BOX MURDER starring Tom Neal and Pamela Blake.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #201 on: June 12, 2005, 08:55:32 PM »

... And there, in silhouette, were Bobby and April "making" the hours as the night went on.  Midnight was a them hugging.  But then... 1:00... 2:00... 3:00 was interesting... 4:00 was scandalous... and 6:00 had people gasping!  ...
I remember posters like that from my college days, usually printed in phuorescent colors on a black background.

And always with a man and a woman.

drat.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2005, 08:56:43 PM »

EXCELSIOR!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #203 on: June 12, 2005, 08:57:01 PM »

KLEPTOMANIAC!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2005, 09:05:09 PM »

Suits - I have one.  It's black.  I bought it when I was in Madrigals in college.  I bought it the night before our first concert.  And I remember squeezing into those pants that morning - ugh!  -I was sooo in denial of my ever-expanding waistline at the time.  We were the black suits for informal concerts and tuxes for the more formal ones.

Well, I guess I only wore it about 10 times total since we did a lot more "tux gigs".

I still wear it on those very rare occasions when I need to wear a suit.  I at least wear the pants  - which I'm happy to say became a bit "loose" a few years ago, and I finally went out and bought smaller pair!

I used to have a two Navy blue sportcoats - one single, one double-breasted.  I wore those mainly when I was doing recital work, accompanying.

The last time I had to wear a suit was for a Memorial Service I played at the National Cathedral three years ago.  My black suit.  And the last time I had to wear my tux was also three years ago for the opening week of Aida at the Kennedy Center.  *It's a house rule - formal blacks are required for the first week of performance or until opening night (reviewers).  Then less formal blacks can be worn.  -And the rule is "highly suggested" to the touring bands that come through there.  So.. the drummer for Aida wore one of those tuxedo t-shirts!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: June 12, 2005, 09:07:43 PM »

KLEPTOMANIAC, baby, KLEPTOMANIAC!

I've started a DVD - I'd been watching John Wayne in McQ, but I had to take a break from it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #206 on: June 12, 2005, 09:08:40 PM »

DR SWW - Ah, the joys of PLUs!  *Once I discovered their purpose, I always made/make a point of remembering an items PLU if I happen to pick one out that doesn't have the sticker on it.  I used to know the ones for the various apples.  The checkers were always impressed - and thankful!

*And Stephen Schwartz even incorporated them into the song "I'm Movin'" which he wrote for the various "revivals" of Working.  In fact, I was the first one to play the keyboard part for that song!  I was the sound of the beeping of the cash register keys.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: June 12, 2005, 09:09:33 PM »

YEAH!!!  PAGE 8!

-Alas, after all the walking I did today, I'm a bit tired to dance...  But I'm all for some good wall-flower action right now!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: June 12, 2005, 09:11:23 PM »

DR ozderek - Thank you for the report and review of the "musical".   Hmmm....  As for it coming to the Great White Way....  It was supposed to be here five years ago... So... Stranger things have happened... Good Vibrations for example.

:-x
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: June 12, 2005, 09:13:37 PM »

I thought it was Mona Lott?

Which reminds me....

What's the difference between a Vitamin and Hormone?

-Well, you can't make a Vita min.

;)

*I believe I first heard that on "The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson".
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up