Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SALLY FORTH  (Read 18139 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:SALLY FORTH
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2005, 01:15:13 PM »

I really have not made up my mind about watching BIG BROTHER yet. It really depends on what else is on at the time it airs. Last year, I lost interest pretty quickly, and the little I've seen of these contestants doesn't make me itch to see it frankly.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2005, 01:17:52 PM »

Nicole Kidman's ability to mask her Australian accent really depends on the project and who her dialect coach is on any particular film. I thought she did a great job hiding it in MALICE, for example.

Jason

« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2005, 01:20:43 PM »

DRLaura beautiful photos of the fireworks.

Last night we watched fireworks, on our new high definition TV, over Mt Rushmore.  We thought they were grand until we saw the fireworks over the river in Louisville, Kentucky.  Seems every year before the Kentucky Derby there is a spectacular display of fireworks.  Set off from barges & the bridge they are designed to reflect in the water.  I want to see this show one day.  

Jane, "Thunder Over Louisville" is indeed a sight to see. I went to the very first one, as a matter of fact. It's the largest fireworks display in North America according to the ads, though I'm not sure that's entirely true. It is beautiful, though, to watch the fireworks cascading off the bridges that link Kentucky with Indiana. I will say, though, downtown Louisville was not built for events as large as Thunder - the traffic, both foot and auto, is awful and most Louisvillians choose to stay home and watch it on TV, much like New Yorkers and the Macy's fireworks. I watched the fireworks from my living room window last night. All the beauty, none of the body odor. :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2005, 01:21:32 PM »

"Truth, Justice, & the American Way" wrapped filming in LA on June 29, just in time for Ben's nuptials to Miss Garner.

I bought, and (kind of) read the book that the film is supposedly based on, and I am surprised they could manage to get a coherent story out of that book.  It was one of the worst books I have ever tried to read.  They had the one premise that George Reeves was murdered and they just kept going around and around with that premise and never getting anywhere.  George Reeves death was very traumatic to me as a child, but by the half-way point in that book, I could care less how he died or who killed him.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jason

« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2005, 01:22:05 PM »

Nicole Kidman's ability to mask her Australian accent really depends on the project and who her dialect coach is on any particular film. I thought she did a great job hiding it in MALICE, for example.

That's what's baffling, Matt! She's done a great job of hiding it in the past - why would she let it slip in BEWITCHED? And why didn't someone else catch it before the film was released? Very perplexing...

Jennifer

« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2005, 01:25:54 PM »

DR MattH, where did you read about Jennifer Garner's pregnancy not being written into the show?  Ron Rifkin was on Regis and Kelly last week and he said it was being written into the script (or at least that is what i understood).

They only start shooting in August. By then she will be 6 months pregnant and there is no way that she could do any stunts.  I believe RonR said something like "well how could they not write it in, they sort of have to".  But maybe he's not sure?

Jennifer

« Reply #126 on: July 05, 2005, 01:27:45 PM »

DR Dan, that is funny that we wrote the same thing at the same time.  Maybe they will give them some incentive not to talk?

DR MattH, Big Brother is going to be Thursdays, Tuesdays and Saturdays at 8pm (although I think tuesdays is at 9pm).  There is so little on during the summer, I know I cannot wait to hopefully be amused.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: July 05, 2005, 01:32:44 PM »

Jennifer asked: "DR MattH, where did you read about Jennifer Garner's pregnancy not being written into the show?  Ron Rifkin was on Regis and Kelly last week and he said it was being written into the script (or at least that is what i understood)."

I read it in a TV GUIDE interview with creator/producer J.J. Abrams but this was back before it was conclusive that Jennifer was pregnant. Perhaps the plans have changed. I don't see how the show can function, however, with Sydney supposedly the person who is supposed to be saving the world, and yet she's not going to be able to even go on missions. I see a fast crash and burn for the show, to be honest.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2005, 01:42:00 PM »

That's what's baffling, Matt! She's done a great job of hiding it in the past - why would she let it slip in BEWITCHED? And why didn't someone else catch it before the film was released? Very perplexing...

Well, I haven't seen the movie (nor will I pay to see it; another one that will have to wait for an HBO/Showtime/STARZ playdate a year from now), but doesn't she play an actress who's a witch playing a fictional TV witch. Is the actress character supposed to be an Aussie? I don't know, you see, I'm just asking questions.

Jason

« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2005, 01:57:37 PM »

Well, I haven't seen the movie (nor will I pay to see it; another one that will have to wait for an HBO/Showtime/STARZ playdate a year from now), but doesn't she play an actress who's a witch playing a fictional TV witch. Is the actress character supposed to be an Aussie? I don't know, you see, I'm just asking questions.

She plays a witch from an undertermined locale who decides to give up her powers and live like a normal human - in L.A. She's "discovered" by Will Ferrell, a washed-up film actor who has stooped so low as to play Darrin in a TV-remake of "Bewitched." When he sees her wiggle her nose, he knows that she is the one to play Samantha and from there, mediocrity ensues.

Nicole's father is played by Michael Caine, so I guess it is feasible that she could have some sort of accent, but he certainly doesn't sound Aussie, and she uses a standard American dialect  through 97% of the movie. Very odd...

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2005, 02:09:10 PM »

That is odd, and despite Nora Ephron's name on the screenplay, it doesn't sound very appealing and not very respectful of the charm that the original BEWITCHED generated.

I think remaking classic TV shows for the movies is ridiculous anyway, but if they're going to do it, give the original shows some respect. They were watched and loved by millions of people (and continue to be), and a lame movie just makes the movie business look desperate. Thankfully, the original series is available for us to enjoy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2005, 02:32:59 PM »

OH!!!

DR George - Hopefully, I will be able to get to the post office tomorrow morning...  I have something for you.

:)

OOO!  I can't wait!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2005, 03:25:24 PM »

Lois Smith looks EXACTLY like George Reeves' mother. They did a MYSTERIES AND SCANDALS show (on the E! Channel) on George Reeves' death, and the pictures show her to be very mcuh the spitting image of Lois Smith. Great casting!

Oh...Lois Smith!  The first few times that I read this I was thinking of Liz Smith. :o ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2005, 03:27:12 PM »

Has anyone else had any trouble logging in/posting to HHW??  This morning, I tried to get on, but five minutes later, it wouldn't even display the page or it would take so long that I'd give up.  After I got back from lunch, it was still acting up for a while, but now (thankfully) it seems to be okay.

George

« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2005, 03:31:20 PM »

Yes BK, Bennifer (#2) got pregnant, then engaged, then married.  And I agree, it is very weird how they fall in love so quickly.

Love??  I don't think "love" has anything to do with it.  It's all just lust (not that there's anything wrong with that), but really...how long do they think that their "marriage" will last?  What chance to do they actually have to stay together with their careers and looking at the kinds of relationships that they've both had in the past. :-\

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2005, 03:41:24 PM »

OOO!  I can't wait!

DR George-

Oops!

I just realized your address is on my old laptop. So... Could you PM me your current mailing address.  Thanks.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2005, 03:44:13 PM »

In other news...

<SNIP>

Once we got to the restaurant, we were also joined by the director daughther, Tess; Michelle, our composer; Amanda McBroom, our lyricist; Wayne Wilcox, one of the actors; and, as "promised", Laurel Massé.

Laurel, it turns out, is a dear friend of Amanda's.  In fact, it was Amanda who helped Laurel start to get back into the business and start performing again.  -More later...

I LOVE LAUREL MASSÉ!!!!  Just had to say that.  Jose, if you EVER meet her again (Laurel), PLEASE ask her if Moxie will EVER record!  Moxie is a group made up of Laurel (formerly of The Manhattan Transfer), Janis Siegel (the alto of The Manhattan Transfer) and Cheryl Bentyne (who took over for Laurel when Laurel left The Manhattan Transfer).  They did a mini-concert on the Internet a few years ago (only four songs), but they sounded so good!  They did a full concert back in February, but it was not recorded.  THEY NEED TO RECORD AS A GROUP!!  Just my 2˘ ;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: July 05, 2005, 03:51:44 PM »

I LOVE LAUREL MASSÉ!!!!  Just had to say that.  Jose, if you EVER meet her again (Laurel), PLEASE ask her if Moxie will EVER record!  Moxie is a group made up of Laurel (formerly of The Manhattan Transfer), Janis Siegel (the alto of The Manhattan Transfer) and Cheryl Bentyne (who took over for Laurel when Laurel left The Manhattan Transfer).  They did a mini-concert on the Internet a few years ago (only four songs), but they sounded so good!  They did a full concert back in February, but it was not recorded.  THEY NEED TO RECORD AS A GROUP!!  Just my 2˘ ;D

We actually talked about Moxie last night for a bit at dinner.  She mentioned that Moxie will be getting together sometime again in the future, however, Cheryl Bentyne will most likely not be a part of the group next time round.

And as far as a recording goes... Hmm... Maybe something BK might consider for a future Kritzerland release? Hmm...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2005, 03:58:54 PM »

DR George - Do you happen to have Laurel's solo CD?  The a cappella one?  She described her solo concert - which is truly just a solo concert - just her.  No instruments at all.  Only her.  She recorded a CD of that concert, but added a few other "sounds" to certain tracks since she thought people might tire of hearing just one voice for the duration of the CD.

*She also discussed how that concert came about... When she had moved to the Adirondacks, she realized that she was the best singer in town.  She was also the only singer in town.  And she also found out there were no instrumentalists in her literal neck of the woods that could play for her, so she started doing these a cappella arrangements of songs.  -Her vocalese on the Bach Cello Suites sounds fascinating!

In any case.. I believe she's dropping by a copy or two of the CD tomorrow...

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2005, 04:03:11 PM »

DR elmore -

:D
-Larry Hochman
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: July 05, 2005, 04:09:36 PM »

DR elmore -

:D
-Larry Hochman

He's one of the best!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: July 05, 2005, 04:19:12 PM »

He's one of the best!

He said the same of you.

Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2005, 04:20:41 PM »

DR George - Do you happen to have Laurel's solo CD?  The a cappella one?  She described her solo concert - which is truly just a solo concert - just her.  No instruments at all.  Only her.  She recorded a CD of that concert, but added a few other "sounds" to certain tracks since she thought people might tire of hearing just one voice for the duration of the CD.

*She also discussed how that concert came about... When she had moved to the Adirondacks, she realized that she was the best singer in town.  She was also the only singer in town.  And she also found out there were no instrumentalists in her literal neck of the woods that could play for her, so she started doing these a cappella arrangements of songs.  -Her vocalese on the Bach Cello Suites sounds fascinating!

In any case.. I believe she's dropping by a copy or two of the CD tomorrow...

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's called Feather and Bone.  She has a beautiful voice.  The CD is not for people who want their music spoon-fed to them.  It's very etherial and quite beautiful. :)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2005, 04:21:42 PM »

He said the same of you.

I'd love to hear his work on your show.  I'm sure it's wonderful.  I thought he was robbed at this year's Tony Awards; LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA has interesting but too similar scoring;  Larry's work on SPAMALOT was smart, witty, and virtuosic.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2005, 04:25:37 PM »

I'd love to hear his work on your show.  I'm sure it's wonderful.  I thought he was robbed at this year's Tony Awards; LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA has interesting but too similar scoring;  Larry's work on SPAMALOT was smart, witty, and virtuosic.

Some of us adore "Light in the Piazza" and think it most exceptional.

I certainly think it was a well-deserved Tony.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 07:11:25 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2005, 04:27:43 PM »

I was up too early this morning, and I have to do the same tomorrow, so I'm crashing.  Have a nice evening and pleasant dreams.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2005, 04:28:49 PM »

...After the fireworks last night, I had the opportunity to chat with Laurel Massé for a bit...

It turns out we had similar experiences growing up.  We both had sort of nomadic childhoods.  I can't exactly remember what line of work her father was in, but her family moved all over the place, both in the States and in Europe.  My father was in the Coast Guard, and each time he was re-stationed, we all had to pick up and move our lives time and again.

Laurel brought up something that I'm just now realizing and dealing with:  Since we moved around so much as children and adolescents, neither of us have any true childhood friends.  We were just never in one place long enough to establish those types of bonds and friendships.  Consequently, we also "learned" how not to get attached to people since we knew we would never be "there" in the long run.

However, lately, it's been a process of unlearning that behavior, and allowing ourselves to open up to people on a deeper level.  To form friendships, relationships.

It's amazing how getting rid of that sense of the temporary has started to change both of our lives.  And I'm sure many other have dealt with the same sort of thing too.

*She also, like myself, is liking getting "older".  I told her that turning 30 was great for me - it truly was.  And she told me, "Just wait till you turn 40!"

Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2005, 04:33:13 PM »

Just heard (From OzDerek) that next month's production of "Sunset Boulevard" (4 performances only) which stars the wonderful Judi Connelli, will have David Campbell as Joe. Good news indeed.
I'll be interested in seeing this scaled down production having seen the fullscale London and Melbourne productions.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2005, 04:34:36 PM »

Derek coped with a full day at work yesterday and is there again today. Good news.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2005, 04:35:06 PM »

This show - at least in it's present workshop form - is a model of restraint.  The orchestra for this show consists of four players: Piano, Reeds (flute, oboe, English horn, recorder, etc.), Cello and Percussion.  It was very neat sitting listening to the orchestra rehearsal this afternoon, and observing Larry Hochman editing on the fly.  Not only adding things, but also taking things away.  And when you only have four players, taking away something is saying something if you get my drift.

-Oh, but he is at least wearing his Spamalot t-shirt today.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up