Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SALLY FORTH  (Read 18108 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SALLY FORTH
« on: July 05, 2005, 12:03:50 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are ready to sally forth or even trixie sixth, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home or, at the very least, until the cows sally forth.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 12:24:27 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:SALLY FORTH
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 12:16:47 AM »

I quite like the Tuesday Weld TV film of "The Rainmaker".  I watched "Glengary GlenRoss" a couple of nights ago and enjoyed that too. My favourite would be the delightful "The Ritz".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 12:19:14 AM »

One of my absolute favorite movies was based on a play, but the play was based on a book...is that okay??  If it is (and even if it isn't), I love "Auntie Mame."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 12:23:27 AM »

And if made-for-TV movies count:  "The Laramie Project."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 12:33:52 AM »

And the word of the day is: PHEROMONE!

George

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 12:57:26 AM »

Well, it's been a long, been a long, been a long, been a long day (a How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying reference).  So, since I have to go to work in the morning, I must get some sleep.  Good night!

As for pheromones, well, let's just say that there are a couple of people that I know... ;) ;D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 04:10:55 AM »

Good morning, all!  I pulled a BK last night and watched two dreadful movies:  something in Spanish called SEXUAL DEPENDENCY and PARTING SHOTS, which had a great premise, some excellent cast, a boring leading man, and not enough wit or pace.

DRMBarnum, yes, Jack Larson's late partner was director James Bridges.

TOD:
   AUNTIE MAME
   BELL BOOK AND CANDLE
   THE INNOCENTS
   THE RAINMAKER
   ARSENIC AND OLD LACE
   AMADEUS
   THE RITZ
I know I'm missing a few, but it's too early and I'm not thinking yet!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 04:12:47 AM »

Too early!  Too Late!  Goodnight DR Elmore.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 05:38:14 AM »

DR Ron mentioned the new season of Big Brother starts this Thursday.

There are some interesting twists, read below:

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=3581

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/TV_Shows/B/BigBrother6/2005/06/29/1110484-ca.html

Kerry

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 05:47:58 AM »

TOD:

Auntie Mame
The Miracle  Worker
Inherit the Wind
Witness for the Prosecution
The Ritz
Pleasure of His Company
Six Degrees of Separtation
Picnic
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2005, 05:48:42 AM »

Morning. y'all!

I don't know how I managed to wake up at 6:30 this morning and drag my butt to work, but I did.  I think I left my head back in bed because I can barely rustle up a meaningful thought here at the office beyond attaching my iPod to my PC and setting it up to play my 80's playlist.

I had a dream that I was attacked by black-hooded ninjas who were trying to cut off my hands.  What the heck does that mean?

TOD:  

The Miracle Worker
Sleuth
Harvey
Arsenic and Old Lace
The Man Who Came to Dinner
Auntie Mame
The Dresser

I'm looking at DR Elmore's list and I'm spotting The Innocents and it's occurred to me that I've never seen or read the stage version.  Has anyone here seen this play performed and was it as effective as the film?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 05:51:03 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~ ~ ~ ~ ~  MORE HEALTH VIBES FOR DR OZDEREK  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/move]

Good to see you posting last night, sir!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 06:54:21 AM »

Last night, DR MBarnum wrote:

"I imagine Jack would have some interesting stories! I am also thinking that his partner died a few years ago...am I right or am I thinking of someone else?"

Jack's late partner was film director James Bridges (THE CHINA SYNDROME among others). He died a few years ago. Jack was also great friends with Montgomery Clift and James Dean, among others, so I'm sure he had a treasure trove of memories. I hope and pray he is putting them all down in book form.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 07:00:28 AM »

I'm looking at DR Elmore's list and I'm spotting The Innocents and it's occurred to me that I've never seen or read the stage version.  Has anyone here seen this play performed and was it as effective as the film?

DRDTM, THE INNOCENTS is a play by William Archibald, and I think it's quite good.  Beatrice Straight, I believe, was the original Governess, and it was redone on Broadway in the 1970s with Claire Bloom, Sarah Jessica Parker as Flora and direction by Harold Pinter.  Truman Capote adapted the play for the screenplay.

I can't believe I forgot INHERIT THE WIND, LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT, and THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER earlier!

There was a blind item in today's Page Six of the NY POST that seemed to confirm BK's gossip from last night:

July 5, 2005 -- WHICH newlywed husband of a TV personality dropped her off at an award show, then went on a tour of gay bars in L.A.? What he didn't realize was that the limo driver had to keep a list of every stop — and that when network execs got the limo bill, the list "looked like a Yellow Page ad of gay bars" . . .

WHICH leading man landed his fiancée by giving her a five-year contract for $10 million? Now, she's giving an Oscar-worthy performance acting as if she's really in love with him . . .

I'm still pondering the first item!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2005, 07:01:43 AM »

Last night, DR MBarnum wrote:

"I imagine Jack would have some interesting stories! I am also thinking that his partner died a few years ago...am I right or am I thinking of someone else?"

Jack's late partner was film director James Bridges (THE CHINA SYNDROME among others). He died a few years ago. Jack was also great friends with Montgomery Clift and James Dean, among others, so I'm sure he had a treasure trove of memories. I hope and pray he is putting them all down in book form.

Beat you!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2005, 07:44:21 AM »

DRRodzinski, welcome back!  

DRBen, I'm waiting for the report and hopefully photos from the trek.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2005, 07:53:05 AM »

Hello.  I am very tired. MJy next door neighbor LOOOOOOOVES  the 4th of July He had over 100 people there and a DJ that played loud bass thumping  disco until 4 in the morning and set off a firework show from 8:45 - 10:15 that was trult spectacular... the Grucci fireworks  for Macy's weren't a spidgin of what old Joe put on...

Of course our house, lawn, cars and pool are covered with debris but since Joe must own himself  a police chief or two nothing ever happens with these wild parties
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2005, 07:56:29 AM »

Hello.  I am very tired. MJy next door neighbor LOOOOOOOVES  the 4th of July He had over 100 people there and a DJ that played loud bass thumping  disco until 4 in the morning and set off a firework show from 8:45 - 10:15 that was trult spectacular... the Grucci fireworks  for Macy's weren't a spidgin of what old Joe put on...

Of course our house, lawn, cars and pool are covered with debris but since Joe must own himself  a police chief or two nothing ever happens with these wild parties

It's always good to have a corrupt official in your pocket, but a party until 4 am is not neighborly but rather the height of rudeness and inconsideration.  You've got a lawfirm, can't  they do something for you?

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2005, 08:08:17 AM »

Now I shall attempt to catch up.
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2005, 08:09:32 AM »

DR Elmore, the first blind item is either Allison Janney or Star Jones, both of whom are recently married to men who have gossiped about on the boards for awhile.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2005, 08:10:51 AM »

Thanks Elmore!

I am back East and doing my best to catch up on all the goings-on here at HHW. Got back last night and the fireworks in my neigborhood did not stop ringing out until around 3am, so I expect to crash hard at some point today.

Want to send out heath vibes to Ozderek, and I hope everyone else is doing well.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2005, 08:11:05 AM »

The first play to movie adaptation that came to my mind was WHO"S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF which I think is a masterpiece all the way around.

My other choices:

A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE

SLEUTH

THE MIRACLE WORKER

THE BOYS IN THE BAND

DEATHTRAP

INHERIT THE WIND

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2005, 08:13:15 AM »

Enjoyed all the fireworks photos and George's beach photos last night. Thanks to all for providing them.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2005, 08:14:57 AM »

Oops. Forgot about ANGELS IN AMERICA and BAREFOOT IN THE PARK.

Talk about an "odd couple" (a Neil Simon reference).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2005, 08:15:30 AM »

Good Morning!

-Why are we in widescreen mode right now?  -At least on my computer screen we're in widescreen.  -And I didn't see any pics posted.

Hmmm...

???
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2005, 08:20:03 AM »

Don't understand what's happening to your computer screen, DR Jose. No widescreen here.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2005, 08:20:48 AM »

Very disappointing. The mail just arrived and there are no packages for me.  :(

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2005, 08:23:07 AM »

I'm thinking a may pull an already watched DVD off the shelf to see what it looks like on the wider screen. So, I'll probably spend part of the afternoon watching eiter SPIDER-MAN 2 or X-MEN 2.

And I have that LARA CROFT 2 movie on the DVR to check out as well.

Umm,,,, I have a case of the 2's this morning!  :D

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2005, 08:27:25 AM »

I caught a few minutes of the color portion of THE WIZARD OF OZ on TCM last night, and it really looked dazzling. I know Warner has remastered the film in Ultra-Resolution (the same process they used on ROBIN HOOD, GWTW, EASTER PARADE, and SINGIN' IN THE RAIN), and they're planning on releasing it in another special edition package this fall.

I'm wondering if this was the version that TCM broadcast last night. Though I think the DVD I have now looks great, I have to admit the color looked much deeper and richer in what I saw last night.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2005, 08:27:44 AM »

In any case...

As for the Topic of the Day...

DITTO

I have to admit, I tend to prefer plays in their original format, as a play.  For better or worse.  Warts and all.

I think the only play that I've truly loved as a film has been On Golden Pond.  And that's mainly due to the the presence of Henry Fonda and Kathryn Hepburn.  It's not a great play, at all.  Good, yes, but not really special, imho.  The film, however, is a totally different animal.  And all those shots on the water... And I've also always like the soundtrack - Dave Grusin, right?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2005, 08:29:26 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up