Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ORGANIZED MAN  (Read 26908 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:THE ORGANIZED MAN
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2005, 07:30:49 AM »

The cat thing is not going well so far. Although patience is key. We tried to introduce the two without a barrier yesterday, and mild-mannered Killbot went loco and the fur literally flew. It's hard to see your pet go to its basest wild instincts like that. So Walty has been hiding out under the bed. We closed the door and went out to buy a baby gate and when we came back, Killbot had somehow opened that door. This door is hard to open even for a human! So it was a scary moment, but there were no signs of a battle. I built a partition using the baby gate and some storage container lids. Killbot has taken a siege mentality and broke through or got over my early attempts. She really wants in there. The problem with the "safety room" concept is, in a two-bedroom apt. the native cat feels like they are losing a big chunk of their territory. I don't want Walty to feel under siege, and I don't want Killbot to resent not being able to get in there. My hope is that their better natures will prevail. It takes time.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2005, 07:31:29 AM »

Page 2 dance, what else? Catdancing.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2005, 07:32:54 AM »

I have always tried to be as organized as I could possibly be. For years, I was holding down two jobs (teaching and writing film criticism) plus doing theater on the side, and without some organization, I would have been lost.

I am a list maker. And I keep the lists of things I need to remember in places where that aprticular list is important. At school, I had a list of things that had to get done on my desk so I'd see them and do them.

At home, I have a shopping list by the refrigerator to write down things that I'm running out of or need to buy. At my downstairs desk at home is a list of DVD/CDs I want to be on the lookout for. At my upstairs desk is a list of writing chores, reviews, etc. that need my attention.

Without these lists, I would be in a total quandry.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2005, 07:34:48 AM »

Meant to mention that I also have an appointment calendar on my downstairs desk where every important date I need to remember is written. Otherwise, I would remember nothing.

The invention of phones with call directories in them was a godsend.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2005, 07:42:34 AM »

BK asked about the touring HAIRSPORAY cast. Link is being played by Serge Kushnier, I'm assuming the brother of Jeremy Kushnier who played the Broadway lead in FOOTLOOSE a few seasons ago. He was a very dynamic dancer (I'm assuming these brothers were in dancing school at young ages) and worked his tail off in the dance sequences. He had a very pop crooner kind of voice, sort of Frankie Valli-ish in tone without all the falsetto. I was sad that he didn't get a bigger ovation at the close for he really threw himself into the show more than any other performer.

Edna was J. P. Dougherty who was Harvey nderstudy for 2 1/2 years. I'm assuming he never got to go on during that time, but he was a "slightly" more melodic voice than Harvey while retaining some of Harvey's raspy timbre.

The best male voice in the show was Corny Collins played by Paul McQuillan. I was very impressed with his singing, and the touring Wilbur Turnblad Stephen DeRosa was also an excellent singer.

Tracy, of course, is a powerhouse role, and my hat was off to Keala Settle for not only her strong, strong vocals but also for the endless energy she brought to the show. This must be as killer a leading role as Mama Rose in GYPSY.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2005, 07:46:54 AM »

I am very organized.  Unfortunately my DS is not.  Jane and Keith and Betsy and I have discussed this, as evidently they share the same symbiotic relationship.  The key, I think anyway, is to start somewhere (anywhere) in getting stuff in order and do not stop until that area is finished.  Then move on to the next.  Also be ruthless in throwing stuff away.

Tomovoz:  First of all, I would mightily suggest a sleeper for your whole trip.  The standard sleepers are not much more expensive than coach, plus you get free meals and, especially on the Coast Starlight, all the "perks" of the private cars, which, as I told you yesterday, are quite exquisite.  Sadly, the Empire Builder (the main east-west line) is in pretty bad shape and does not have the "movie" car on the refurbished dining car that the Coast Starlight has.

On the west coast, I'd plan on stopping (after L.A., of course) at:  San Francisco, Ashland, Salem (maybe--MB may have more to say, personally I don't think there's that much to see other than the Capitol), Portland, Seattle and Vancouver B.C. (if you're going that far north).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2005, 07:48:53 AM »

DR MattH, thank you for the positive report on the touring Hairspray.  It's coming to Dayton early next year and, according to my datebook, we'll see it on our subscription on February 12.  I saw it in New York last October, but my DH has not.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2005, 07:49:54 AM »

Good news--I finally made contact last night with the new owners of my parents' house, and they are thrilled to have us up for a little tour.  I told them they may see a 40-something man burst into tears, as I have not been back since my Mom died.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2005, 07:55:35 AM »

I HAD to see HAIRSPRAY because I could not get decent seats during the previous NYC trips when I could have fit it in. There are plenty of seats there now, but newer shows take precidence.

And I didn't mention the sensational voices of the Dynamites and Motormouth Maybelle, all of whom brought down the house. They got HUGE ovations at curtain call.

JMK

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2005, 07:56:08 AM »

News alert for you MGM DVD class-action plaintiffs:  I spoke with them a couple of days ago, the settlement has been approved by the Judge, and checks should be mailed no later than the end of August.  Looking forward to recouping some of my hard-earned cash from those shysters.  (Does Robert Preston tell Loretta Swit  "I am not a shyster, madam, I am a quack" or is it the other way 'round in S.O.B.?  I always loved that line, despite the fact that I can't remember it correctly.  :) ).

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2005, 07:58:18 AM »

Back on the organizational front. I also have chores organized. For example, rather than taking hours on one day to clean my house each week, I clean one room a day that takes about 10-25 minutes (depending on the room). Monday, for example, is the dining room. Tuesday is the living room, etc. The house stays clean and I have more time to fit in other things during each day. I give myself Saturday off from chores.

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2005, 08:03:35 AM »

DR Rodzinski, sorry to hear the Killbot is not taking too kindly to the intruder...I am sure in time they will become great pals, however. Killbot probably just wants it known that he is the boss of your household.

JMK

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2005, 08:08:25 AM »

Has anyone else watched the extras on the new East of Eden DVD release?  Fave moment:  the premiere, with that charming show-biz couple Carol Channing and Joel Grey (with his original nose).  The host makes a joke about their relative heights, at which point Carol leans over and kisses Joel on the forehead.  Hilarious.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2005, 08:13:58 AM »

I have EAST OF EDEN here but have not gotten around to it yet. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be looking for that.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2005, 08:31:26 AM »

JMK said yesterday, in regards to the Tacoma bathroom door fiasco...Well, I made that suggestion, but the hinges were on Ann's side of the door and she was unable to release the pin.  The latch is now taped so that neither of us will be trapped again!

Another option is to not latch the door.

:D

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2005, 08:34:14 AM »

DR Rodzinski:  About Walty and Killbot...I think...oh, yes, well...I'm sure....and I hate to be one who actually says it, but...yes, you see...I told you so!

:D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 08:34:45 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2005, 08:42:02 AM »

BK:  Being a Virgo, I have no idea what possible problems folks could have with organization.  :D

(Okay, stop laughing).  My personal bent is to never bite off more than I'm willing to chew.  This, of course, does not lend itself to the type of schedule you maintain.

But I decided, when I turned 40, that I was not going to allow myself to be stretched in several different directions at once.  Ultimately, only I was aware of/impressed with my exertions...and many I was helping out never acknowledged either thanks or credited me.    

I was taken for granted once (well, often, actually) too often.  That won't happen if I don't let it happen, so now I don't, except for folks I truly know well and for whom I'd do anything.

If I don't feel like doing something not absolutely vital to my survival, or the survival of my cat, I simply don't do it.  I get around to the necessities.  And even then, my Virgo nature kicks into gear and lets me do things so thoroughly that I don't have to think about them for some good time afterward.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 08:44:42 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2005, 08:58:45 AM »

I see...so I'm a solo act now, am I!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2005, 08:59:27 AM »

Well, I can do my part to ensure posts keep flying even if those present are napping.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2005, 09:01:56 AM »

It's supposed to be a scorcher here today..and much of the rest of the week.  

It's either too cool to be summer or hotter than blue blazes.

We've had one weird "summer," thus far.

I got in early and walked to the other side of Lake Merritt  (roughly a half mile both ways), just for the heck of it.  It felt good and I'm more awake than normal.

I'm also ravenous, which rather kills the calorie burn I was going for.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2005, 09:03:20 AM »

I treated myself to a viewing of "The Music Man" yesterday evening.  What a treat this movie remains.

And I must say I relished the "Marian the Librarian" number more than usual...just love the rhythm and the orchestration and the ingenious choreography.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2005, 09:06:40 AM »

"Organized"  I am afraid I am unfamilar with this word

hmmm let me check the dictionary:

"or·gan·ized [ áwrgə nzd ]

adjective  

1. efficient: working in a systematic and efficient way
a motivated and organized self-starter

2. large-scale: existing on a large scale and involving the systematic coordination of many different considerations"

Nope, still not ringing any bells... I guess I am the disorganized Mann

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2005, 09:07:32 AM »

I see that "Annie" is coming to San Francisco in late August and playing through mid-October.  John Schuck is Daddy Warbucks.

I've never seen the complete show...just the awful movie, and the wonderful, but incomplete (and oddly cast) Disney TV version.

I hope this is the complete show.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 09:09:03 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2005, 09:08:38 AM »

I'm going to treat myself to "Annie" as a birthday present to myself!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2005, 09:10:25 AM »

DR MBarnum:  I'm looking forward to reading your reaction to "The War of the Worlds," which you reported you were going to see this weekend.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2005, 09:11:27 AM »

The Disney version of the show is MILES ahead of John Huston's inept big screen version, and is fairly faithful to the stage version.

But the stage version is definitely the one to see. There are entertaining numbers which haven't been in either filmed version of the musical.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2005, 09:13:26 AM »

No DVDs in the mail today, but I did get two of those Sepia label reissues of RCA cast recordings: HAZEL FLAGG and MAKE A WISH, both of which I have on LP but now have on CD, too!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2005, 09:16:09 AM »

DR George:  To answer your question from last night, HAIRSPRAY can ONLY cast men in the role because it is dictated as such in John Waters contract.  He wouldn't allow the musical to be made unless that was a stipulation.

Well, I[/i] certainly understand that, but how can I explain why John Waters would make that stipulation for the show in the first place?...if it's possible.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2005, 09:16:24 AM »

If it weren't for "Being in Love" instead of "My White Knight," would THE MUSIC MAN rank as the most faithful film version of a Broadway musical ever? Even MY FAIR LADY added that extra verse to "You Did It," and the Rodgers and Hammerstein movies of their musicals always omitted numbers.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 09:16:53 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2005, 09:18:23 AM »

The laserdisc version of the remastered 1776 contains the entire show, music and dialogue, but the theatrical version wasn't that version so we can't count it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up