Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ORGANIZED MAN  (Read 26931 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE ORGANIZED MAN
« on: July 11, 2005, 12:02:45 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you were organized whilst reading the notes, you are ready to discuss your organizational prowess, and now it is time for you to post until the Organized Cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 12:17:57 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE ORGANIZED MAN
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 12:04:10 AM »

And the word of the day is: LUGUBRIOUS!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 12:14:42 AM »

People who are indeed totally organized are compensating for their lack of intelligence and creativity.
That's a believe based on no research at all. But I wold like to believe it's true. If I ever get anywhere near "organized" I don't panic because I know such organization will be very short lived.

I try to organise my record and Cd collection but it doesn't last for too long.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 12:26:10 AM »

BTW DR George "Scared Stiff" was a Dean Martin/Jerry Lewis movie with Carmen Miranda and cameos by Crosby and Hope.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 12:31:51 AM »

I am never as organized as I'd like to be.  For instance, early yesterday, I went to lunch with a friend of mine and afterwards I went to a local (and locally owned) record (CD) store called Rainy Day Records.  Whilst I was there, I bought the recently released, 2-CD DRG release of the complete soundtrack to "The Young Girls Of Rochefort."  I brought this and the 2-CD soundtrack to "Les Parapluies de Cherbourg" that I already owned over to my sister's house.  At some point, I came home and then went back for dinner (our parents came over), and when I came home afterwards, I cannot find either of those CDs!  I have looked everywhere that I can think of here at my house, and I didn't notice them anywhere at my sister's.  That's how un-organized I am. :P

AND I'm also looking for a couple of CDs by The Manhattan Transfer (for DR Tomovoz) and I can't find them!  I know I had them yesterday, but they are no where to be found!  AARRGGHH!! >:(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jed

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 12:33:01 AM »

JMK said yesterday, in regards to the Tacoma bathroom door fiasco...

If you are ever stuck in a room again, a quick and easy solution is to pull the pins out of the hinges and simply remove the door. 

Well, I made that suggestion, but the hinges were on Ann's side of the door and she was unable to release the pin.  The latch is now taped so that neither of us will be trapped again!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 03:20:07 AM »

Good morning DR Elmore.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 03:30:50 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm office sitting today, so I'm back to Toyland, whether or not I want to be there.  Pur office manager is in North Carolina, our music prep supervisor is in San Francisco, Mr Murray is in Westchester, and I will be sitting in the AC awaiting the cleaning man.  I've got plenty of projects to work on, but Monday ios usually my GOLDEN APPLE Tams-Witmark day.  I feel very disorganized.

So, to answer the TOD:  I need to win the lottery, get a bigger apartment and hire an assistant to organize my life and environment.  That, I fear, will be a cold day in hell.  

DRTomovoz, when I was a kid I loved Martin & Lewis, especially SCARED STIFF, but I think I now prefer THE GHOST BREAKERS.  When, oh, when will Hope's CAT AND THE CANARY land on DVD?  I'm also partial to SHAUN OF THE DEAD.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 03:31:16 AM »

Good morning DR Elmore.

Hello, DR Tomovoz!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 04:28:44 AM »

I remember a Pineapple Diet, only you make the Pineapple Diet Day  in which you can eat Pineapples as much as you like, but ONLY pineapples you’re allowed to have for the day.  They are effective for intestinal disorders and you’ll keep your stomach clean. Good for health and for diet. “Kill two birds with one stone”, right?

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 04:32:29 AM »

Hope you're doing well, DR DANISE.
I saw Florida in the big storm on TV...

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 04:46:09 AM »

I watched "The Passion of The Christ" last night ..... :-\And  I had a scary dream over and over again till dawn and was dead tired as I woke up this morning. :-\ :-\ :-\

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 05:29:41 AM »

I watched "The Passion of The Christ" last night ..... :-\And  I had a scary dream over and over again till dawn and was dead tired as I woke up this morning. :-\ :-\ :-\

I had a similar experience this weekend, DR Hisaka, after seeing War of the Worlds.  I didn't have any nightmares, but I kept dreaming about the imagery of the tripods wrecking havok while I was thinking, "What would I do?  What would I do?"  

Pahtoo!  Pahtoo! on such dreams!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Michael

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005, 05:36:22 AM »

Wasn't there a song called Organized Man that Frank Loesser wrote for How To Succeed in Business..... that was dropped from the show. I think it is on the cd of Frank Loesser songs that he sings himself.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2005, 05:37:24 AM »

I am not organize at all. It is a chore to do it. In fact I planned to write the next posting first before I forgot it. Well I didn't.
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 05:39:56 AM »

I have been employed occasionally to organize other people, but I'm not very good at organizing myself.  My traditional method of "Don't touch the pile on the desk; I can find anything I want." is not as effective as it used to be.   I don't know if it''s because the pile is bigger; I have less of a brain, or if the world is just more complicated, but I don't have the handle on it I used to have.

I'm still on yesterday's word.  I love to frappe across the lake in winter.
Je suis frappe?
I like boat races.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2005, 05:45:32 AM »

Here is the post I planned to write first.

I can figure out no reason why I dreamed this but it happened just before  the alarm woke me up.

I dreamed last night....

that I was doing the show WICKED. I was playing the Wizard. It was rehearsing in a large theater. Don't remember who the actors were but the show was being directed by Bernadette Peters. Before we started I excuse myself to go to the bathroom. Found the bathroom and inside there was an arcade. Went into a stall and couldn't pee straight. Then the alarm woke me up and then I went to go to my own bathroom.

Well WICKED is far from my favorite show. I have never made it through the recording all though I have tried several times. Now why I would play the Wizard I have no idea and no idea why my brain chose Bernadette Peters as director of the show and this must have been an older version of her because she was way too young looking.
Never stop dreaming.

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2005, 06:08:42 AM »

DR George:  To answer your question from last night, HAIRSPRAY can ONLY cast men in the role because it is dictated as such in John Waters contract.  He wouldn't allow the musical to be made unless that was a stipulation.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2005, 06:11:03 AM »

TOD:  I could never be accused of being The Organized Man, but I have been putting a few pieces of advice to play to keep my life in some sense of order.  The number one practice for me has been to get rid of clutter and to prevent it from forming in the first place.  My mantra has been "If it hasn't been touched in six months to a year, out it goes."  Magazines are judiciously bought, read and dispatched in the following week's recyclables.  Likewise with mail--sorted as soon as I get in the door and the junk mail goes right into the shredder.  And I no longer save boxes--if I want storage containers I'll go out and buy them.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2005, 06:45:29 AM »

I am what some may call, too organized. I think it comes from living in a rather unorganized home as a child. I'm sure the reason I'm either early or absolutely on time (I am rarely, if ever, late) is because my mother was notoriously late. I think my on-time fetish is a reaction to her being late. The same can be said for my being organized. Our home was, until after I moved out, fairly cluttered and disorganized (except for my hideaway, my own bedroom). I loathe, detest and abominate clutter and can't live with it. I certainly have things that I have not looked at in years but they are carefully put away in a box under the bed and I know where they are. I am a believer in "a place for everything and everything in its place". My CDs are organized, for cast recordings, by show title. Soundtracks are separate, also organized by title. I don't separate the other CDs so much although they are organized by last name of the performer, Kaye Ballard is in the Bs, Eileen Farrell in the Fs, etc.. My records are organized by title, if a show or movie and last name if a performer. As those who have been to our apartment can attest, we make very good use of the space. I guess the "system" if there is one, is, if you buy something new, when you are done with it, put it away in a specific place. If you listen to a CD, when you're done PUT IT AWAY. Wash the dishes and PUT THEM AWAY. When I come home from work I change my clothes and as I'm changing, if something needs to be washed it goes in the hamper or I hang it up as it's in my hand. Why throw it down and allow a pile of clothes to build up. When I finish a project at work, the file I'm working on gets filed away. I do not hang on to old e-mails unless they contain important information, especially those silly e-mails where someone doesn't need to respond but does anyway saying something like "thanks" My desk at the office (and at home) is neat and orderly and I can find anything I need quickly and easily.

Throw out clutter. As others have said, if you haven't looked at it or read it or touched it in six months or longer, unless it's an important paper that should be filed, GET RID OF IT!!! If you haven't touched something in six months or more, you don't need it, most likely.

I sound very teacher-like and perhaps holier-than-thou, but that's not my intention. It's just the way I am. This is getting too long so I shall now return to work.

Later,

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2005, 06:56:02 AM »

Every now and then I try to get things organized around my home environment, but it doesn't last long...my computer desk/dining room area is a total disaster and embarrassment...I am working on a way to get it organized and cleaned up, however...we shall see.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2005, 06:57:31 AM »

Hey George, there used to be a record store in Atlanta called "Rainy Day Records". Then it disappeared. I wonder if they moved out west.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2005, 07:04:30 AM »

Good Morning!

Another sleepy morning... still.  I had planned to get up earlier - when Steve left for work - but I did not.  Then came 9:00... then 9:30... Then finally around 9:45, I put my feet on the floor.

...And now I'm trying to organize my upcoming day...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2005, 07:09:57 AM »

As for being organized...

I go through phases.  There are times when I'm anal retentive to a fault - like when I label my spice containers with the dates when I bought them and when I first opened them - and then there are times when I just let things happen, let them be... "Oh, I should have thrown this bottle of oregano out two years ago..."

I don't like things looking unkempt and slobbish, but there are some times when various piles build up on the floor, on the desk, etc.  However, the piles are usually very organized.  In other words, I can usually organize my dis-organization.

And speaking of being organized...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2005, 07:13:04 AM »

I've "decided" that I'd spend three to four hours in my storage unit today.  I had "illusions" that I would hit the U-haul place first thing when they opened this morning, and stay until they kicked me out at closing...  Then I realized that that illusion would most likely drive me crazy and/or to drink.  And at least with a time limit involved, it will help me to focus my "mission" today.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2005, 07:15:34 AM »

Well, that's enough of my personal play by play for today...  Except...

I need to get some breakfast/brunch, run by the post office, run by the bank, and then head over to my storage place.

Who knows?  Maybe I'll find a box with the Stages stuff in it.

;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2005, 07:20:51 AM »

Removing the hinges is not always easy, particularly on older, heavier doors or doors that have been sloppily painted so that paint has coated the hinges. What happened to Jed and Ann happened to a friend of mine when I was over once, and I had to use a mallet and chisel to remove the hinges.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2005, 07:21:21 AM by Rodzinski »

Ben

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2005, 07:24:27 AM »

Removing the hinges from our bathroom door would require the same kind of effort as Rodzinksi put out. The paint is old and there are layers and layers of it.

Ginny

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2005, 07:25:20 AM »

I'm not as organized as I'd like to be, which I attribute to the fact that we've lived in the same place for 17 years now.  Until we moved into this house, I'd moved (on average) about every 3-4 years, shedding "stuff" each time.  It's amazing how much a family of 3 accumulates over 17 years.  We have one extra bedroom upstairs that's like an archaeological site - the top layer is Rob's, the next is mine, etc.  Someday, DH Richard and I will downsize and probably wonder why we kept all this stuff for so long!

On a day to day basis, though, I think I'm pretty organized.  Like DR Ben, I don't like being late.  DH Richard and I "do calendars" about once  a week, to make sure we have each other's schedules and mutual commitments straight.  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2005, 07:29:06 AM »

DR George:  To answer your question from last night, HAIRSPRAY can ONLY cast men in the role because it is dictated as such in John Waters contract.  He wouldn't allow the musical to be made unless that was a stipulation.

I did not know this, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks so much for the information.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up