Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: STUFFED TO THE GILLS  (Read 18848 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:STUFFED TO THE GILLS
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2005, 04:40:03 PM »

Oh, here is an interesting twist that I may be adding very soon to my theater resume..............  I may be playing half of a run of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, as Tevye, begining in about three and a half weeks.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jed

« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2005, 04:42:03 PM »

This the outdoor production in Gig Harbor?  They still needed somebody at this point?!?
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2005, 04:46:16 PM »

Do you need to be half Jewish TCB?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2005, 04:56:47 PM »

I'm back and must now shave.

Jed

« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2005, 05:02:09 PM »

Must be off to meet Ann at her workplace from where we will head up to Seattle to knock some rust of the vocal chords with some Germanic Latin.  The Seattle Symphony Chorus (of which Ann is a member) is hosting a summer series of "anybody show up and sing" evenings, and tonight we will be joining in for Carmina Burana.  Just plain fun stuff to sing, I tell ya!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2005, 05:13:05 PM »

Very interesting day, Stages-wise.  The mixes are really good, it sounds soooo much better than the LP, and we added some percussion to a few songs - bells and xylo, which, as elmore well knows, I love.  Haven't overdone anything, though - keeping it very pure.  Grant will be added on two tracks - one guitar, one banjo.  There are twelve songs that have been completely remixed from the multi-track.  We did a test on one of the five songs from the album master, and while it won't sound as good as the ones we remixed, we were able to EQ it and play with it so that it sounds at least of a piece.  That made me very happy.

The bonus album, Together Again, is one of the worst-sounding albums ever recorded.  We're trying our hardest (if we had the multi-tracks it would be a breeze, but we don't).  I'll be writing about all of this in the booklet, but TA was recorded very fast, and the engineer was a proper idiot.  For all the group numbers, the cast was in a room the size of a closet with one mic.  Horrible.  There is no reverb at all on the album.  Horrible.  So, we're doing lots of work on the dynamics, we've added some reverb, and we're doing our best to get in on the voice frequencies to make them pop as much as possible.  I will say that going back and forth between our new version and the album, one can hear a significant difference.  It will never be a great-sounding thing, but we've definitely helped it along - and, after all, it's a bonus.

Ben

« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2005, 05:23:26 PM »

Since Michael's picture of Mickey Deans didn't post, here is another one. Judy looks terrible (it was near the end of her life, after all). The photo was probably taken in London.

FYI, Mickey Dean's real name was Mickey Devinko. He died in 2004 if I recall correctly

Michael

« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2005, 05:48:25 PM »

Well I change the photo and then I saw that DR, Ben posted another. That was first time I ever saw that linking problem.
Never stop dreaming.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2005, 05:53:02 PM »

DR Jane, in response to your question from yesterday.  My internship (or "advanced year field placement" in fancy social work terminology) is with a residential treatment facility in the Bronx.  I'll be working with children who are severely emotionally disturbed and mentally ill.  It should be quite challenging.

Michael

« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2005, 05:54:15 PM »

My final acting nightmare story and the reason why I gave up theater acting.

I was doing the play Execution of Justice in Denver, CO. One of the roles I did was Dr. Blinder and his famous TWINKIE DEFENCE. Well it was like a 10+ monologue. I was on stage  basically by myself. One night I went up and I went totally blank in the middle of the monologue. The other two actors onstage of course did not know my part. I move around the stage trying to remember what came next. I couldn't remember it and just skipped ahead to what I did remember.
For the rest of the run I was so scared that I would go up again. I would go on doing the lines, but never again really acted the part. I never acted on stage again.

But did movies and tv where you can do retakes and is a different type of acting.
Never stop dreaming.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2005, 05:55:09 PM »

Must be off to meet Ann at her workplace from where we will head up to Seattle to knock some rust of the vocal chords with some Germanic Latin.  The Seattle Symphony Chorus (of which Ann is a member) is hosting a summer series of "anybody show up and sing" evenings, and tonight we will be joining in for Carmina Burana.  Just plain fun stuff to sing, I tell ya!

I love Carmina Burana!  We did this when I was at Western Washington University and the recording with June Anderson was the very first CD that I ever owned!  I got it in 1987 and I still own it. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2005, 05:57:05 PM »

Rodzinski and I have a date to see The Blonde in the Thunderbird on Saturday night.  I am especially glad that we are going now that I've heard it's closing on Sunday.

I will be sure to have plenty of pre-show margaritas!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2005, 06:00:58 PM »

DR Jane, in response to your question from yesterday.  My internship (or "advanced year field placement" in fancy social work terminology) is with a residential treatment facility in the Bronx.  I'll be working with children who are severely emotionally disturbed and mentally ill.  It should be quite challenging.

Then posting here will be extrememly easy for you!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2005, 06:01:52 PM »

We'd better get some postin' goin' on. That's right, after Ben's description, "The Blonde in the Thunderbird" sounded irresistible.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2005, 06:02:32 PM »

Just watched most of HOOP DREAMS, which I had never seen. Really a powerful film.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2005, 06:13:02 PM »

I was directing "Salad Days," and there were two memorably nightmarish things about it. Unbeknownst to me, this older, slightly daffy woman I cast for the chorus was carrying onstage an extra pair of shoes for this scene when the magical piano causes everyone to dance in the park (don't ask). While everyone else was dancing, she would change into her shoes onstage and then dance. When the scene ended, she literally crawled onstage during the next scene to grab the pair of shoes she'd left behind. Her reasoning for this opening night change of business? "My character didn't know she would be dancing when she came to the park, so why would she be wearing dance shoes already?" Never mind why she'd have a pair to change into!

The other thing, which TPunk unfortunately suffered through was this woman who had a long phone monologue-scene while she was getting her nails and hair done. There was a lot of precise stuff and she could not learn the lines and WOULD not learn the lines, though she kept promising me she'd have it by opening night. Meanwhile, poor TPunk and another actress had some funny business they were supposed to do at certain points, but the woman would skip all over, drop whole sections, you never knew what she was going to do! I finally gave TPunk and the other actress some basic comic business to do just to survive and basically wrote off the whole scene. Ghastly.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2005, 06:14:50 PM »

TCB:
The "T" stands for Tevya

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2005, 06:23:50 PM »

I bet it will be challenging.  I hope it will also be rewarding.  Is this the area of social work you are interested in perusing?

When I was in high school we had a woman you worked for our family.  She was a great influence on my life and was kind to wait until I moved out of the house before giving notice.  From our family she became an aid on a mental ward in a hospital.  She teased it was a piece of cake after working for us.  I think she was teasing, not really sure of that one. ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2005, 06:27:08 PM »

You know, I have just noticed a DEARTH of postings here at haineshisway.com.  Yes, I say a DEARTH.  Why on earth a DEARTH?  I shall now be on my way to sup with Mr. Richard Valley and his ever-lovin' Tom, and when I return (hopefully in two hours time), I don't want to be seeing a DEARTH.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2005, 06:28:12 PM »

Semi-unrelated useless bit of info: my mother once worked in a mental ward where one of the patients was Victor Mature's mother. So there you have it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2005, 06:29:07 PM »

I'm back and must now shave.

Better that than needing to shave your back!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Tomovoz

« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2005, 06:29:16 PM »

I have returned to the living. Yes! I have finished reading about Mr Potter.
Could be worse - I could have spent my time with reality TV.  lol.

I have enjoyed the Potter books and films.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2005, 06:33:21 PM »

My advice to prospective CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY viewers:

Save your money. Buy candy instead.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2005, 06:34:36 PM »

Ron P: Been out with the DSC* this week?

*Dim Sum Crew

Tomovoz

« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2005, 06:35:47 PM »

Advice will be followed. Depp has already had his chocolate movie.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2005, 06:41:31 PM »

Ron P: Been out with the DSC* this week?

*Dim Sum Crew
A clever anagram for cud swimmer I guess!
Image of cow olympics perhaps.
James Thurber 1957

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2005, 06:44:28 PM »

Advice will be followed. Depp has already had his chocolate movie.

He is hands down the worst thing about the movie, and I have enjoyed other performances of his. This is way off the mark. In my tender opinion.

The Gal's home!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2005, 06:49:29 PM »

Darn, the previews give me the same feeling.  I would pass on the movie but Keith wants to see it. I hope we don't agree with you but fear I will.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2005, 06:54:00 PM »

I bet it will be challenging.  I hope it will also be rewarding.  Is this the area of social work you are interested in perusing?

When I was in high school we had a woman you worked for our family.  She was a great influence on my life and was kind to wait until I moved out of the house before giving notice.  From our family she became an aid on a mental ward in a hospital.  She teased it was a piece of cake after working for us.  I think she was teasing, not really sure of that one. ;D

I definitely want to work with kids.  If I could have my pick, I would work with gay and lesbian adolescents and teens.  It's such a difficult age to be and with the added stress of questioning your sexuality, dealing with the reactions of others... such a vulnerable group.  

And I actually have made similar comments to my co-workers about working with them preparing me for my internship.  And with some of them, I mean it!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2005, 06:55:21 PM »

I didn't mind Depp as much as Rodzinski did.  But the squirrel scene alone was worth seeing the movie!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up