Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: BRAKE PADS  (Read 20630 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:BRAKE PADS
« Reply #180 on: July 26, 2005, 01:40:50 PM »

7!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #181 on: July 26, 2005, 01:41:56 PM »

Of course the dance is The Peppermint Twist.

Round and Round
Up and Down
Round and Round
Up and Down
Round and Round and
Up and Down
and a one two three Kick!

Ginny

« Reply #182 on: July 26, 2005, 01:50:36 PM »

DR JRand - has the cold front reached you yet?  They say it's due here tonight and the forecast high tomorrow is about 20 degrees cooler than today.  Hoo and ray.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #183 on: July 26, 2005, 01:56:22 PM »

I don't have anything to say, but here's a post:

My weatherbug tells me t is currently 101F with 27% humidity and there's a storm northeast of town.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: July 26, 2005, 01:56:42 PM »

Back from the LACC meeting - long, but it went well.  Interesting tidbit:  Did you know that both Donna Reed AND Alexis Smith got their first movie contracts as a result of appearing in the same play at LACC?  The play was The Night of January 16th.  They were both seen by talent scout Milt Lewis (who I met when I was going to LACC - he always came to the shows there), and they both got contracts.

MBarnum: Where on Holt?  You can take Laurel Canyon, then cross Sunset and Laurel becomes Crescent Heights.  You can continue south on Crescent Heights for miles - if you give me a block number I can tell you where you'll need to turn to cut over to Holt, which will be to your right (west).

Ginny

« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2005, 01:57:28 PM »

Speaking of performing, I have to go now to teach my 3-hour Grantseeking Basics class.  "Curtain" in 30 minutes!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2005, 01:57:32 PM »

So many postings - we're cookin' with gas here at haineshisway.com.  I must soon be on my way to meeting number two, but prior to that I must stop at the post office to ship off some packages.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2005, 01:59:21 PM »

DR JRand - has the cold front reached you yet?  They say it's due here tonight and the forecast high tomorrow is about 20 degrees cooler than today.  Hoo and ray.

We expect it later this evening, DRGINNY!  And I can hardly wait.

On my way 10,000 posts!  But what with PIPPIN it is taking FOREVER!  :P

DRMATTH - I remember Miss Martha Raye's Oscar appearance vividly, and it was my impression from the way she tripped to her facial expression afterwards, to the audience reaction, that she was doing her famous "walk & trip" - it was hilarious, and a tremendous balance to her touching and heartfelt acceptance speech.  No one deserved the honor more.

Martha Raye stories among her fellow performers and among the men she visited in the armed services are legion - look them up sometime on the net.  

And she was FUNNY!!!!  8)

Martha Raye to Bob Burns in RHYTHM ON THE RANGE:

"No it's fine.....and you keep wearing that suit.  No matter what anybody says!"  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2005, 01:59:52 PM »

Lots of Amazon orders!  Must be the review! :)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2005, 02:00:02 PM »

It's weird that I don't consider learning music and lyrics as part of the memorization process when learning a musical. Unless there is challenging harmony to learn (a la FOREVER PLAID), usually the music just "comes" to me as we rehearse. With plays, there are no production numbers so there are ALL these words to learn.

Plays to me just seem so much more of a challenge to learn than a musical though really a musical is probably more difficult. Maybe they just seem easier to me because I've done so many more of them than plays.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2005, 02:02:02 PM »

So many postings - we're cookin' with gas here at haineshisway.com.  I must soon be on my way to meeting number two, but prior to that I must stop at the post office to ship off some packages.

Speaking of shipping off some packages...MBarnum, I just sent some pictures to you!  You might get them before you leave, but if not, they'll be waiting for you when you get back. ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2005, 02:02:46 PM »

Oh, I adored Martha Raye. That Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Oscar was a greatly deserved one.

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2005, 02:04:23 PM »

I haven't gotten any packages for two days, but will be receiving at least one tomorrow and am greatly anticipating it.

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2005, 02:04:58 PM »

And next week, well, let's just say that Nick and Nora will find a most welcome home at my house. And Fred and Ginger, too.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2005, 02:05:40 PM »

OH!  Before I forget again...

DR Dan (the Man) - David Burnham's Italian did sound a bit more "authentic", but I could tell he was taught it phonetically.  It was a little too perfect, if you get my drift.  -I used to coach opera singers from time to time, so...

However, I think part of the "fault" lies in the setting of the text.  It's very by the book, and not colloquial enough - especially for Fabrizio's social station.

But, boy, was that high B-flat beautiful last night!

*David mentioned that he had just been on again this past weekend... And that he actually went on soon after the opening since Matthew Morrison was sick.  And he announced last night that he would be singing a couple of more performance in September when Matthew Morrison takes his vacation...  However... It was announced that Matthew Morrison would be leaving the show at the end of August... So...

Actually, that was me not Dan (the Man) who asked about the accent, but thanks for the info!  

I have another question:  Is is common to raise the key for someone (an understudy, even) who can sing it higher or do you think that they raised it because the key was otherwise too low for David Burnham?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2005, 02:19:53 PM »

Headed downstairs to do some chores and then continue with STAR TREK until network/cable TV takes over for the evening.

Jed

« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2005, 02:23:33 PM »

I agree, Matt, all the musical numbers do seem to make musicals easier to memorize (choreography aside, of course).  That being said, I've always learned my dialogue in musicals just as quickly as my lyrics (harmonies come very easily to me, learning them before anything else at all).  I think it's just having it split into two different categories that makes it seem a bit less intimidating.  I look forward to the challenge of learning a decent-sized role without any songs to break up the dialogue... first time in SEVEN years for me.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2005, 02:40:28 PM »

My favourite Martha Raye line actually isn't said by her but is about her.  In the Big Broadcast of 1938, right after she's kissed Lynne Overman, he gasps:  "Aaaa, I've been kissed by a tunnel!"

Rodzinski, no, I did not know that Joe Pesci was a Starliter.  Now I'll have to see if I can spot him on the album covers.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #198 on: July 26, 2005, 02:49:00 PM »

Wasn't Oliver Twist the song on which Rod McKuen blew his voice out, singing it over and over at concerts and club dates?

MBarnum

« Reply #199 on: July 26, 2005, 02:54:59 PM »

MBarnum: Where on Holt?  You can take Laurel Canyon, then cross Sunset and Laurel becomes Crescent Heights.  You can continue south on Crescent Heights for miles - if you give me a block number I can tell you where you'll need to turn to cut over to Holt, which will be to your right (west).

Thanks Bruce, that answers my question...just needed to know if Laurel Canyon was a good route from Burbank area to LA area...from Sunset Blvd. I know right how to get to Carolyn's on Holt (which really is just around the corner from your old homestead!)...with a side trip over to Sycamore to stop at Mickey Hargitay Plants to pick her up a gift of flowers on the way.

Tomovoz

« Reply #200 on: July 26, 2005, 02:57:44 PM »

DR Barnum the real point surely is that I still send CDs AFTER the Bollywood arrived.  lol. (they're better listening than "Bombay Dreams")
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #201 on: July 26, 2005, 02:58:59 PM »

Does anyone here find this wrong:

GODSPELL
(From the composer of Wicked)

Taken from a program ad from a local theatre companies children's theatre company's winter show.....

It just seems wrong to me that a show that is 30+ years old needs to be advertised with the new Broadway "craze".... (with kids and teens, anyway)

Tomovoz

« Reply #202 on: July 26, 2005, 02:59:06 PM »

DR Rodzinski - I've always liked the "Drowning songs"- Darling Jane, Johnny Surfboard and Moody River
« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 03:12:22 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2005, 02:59:17 PM »

And thank you DR George! I will look forward to the photos!!

MBarnum

« Reply #204 on: July 26, 2005, 03:05:09 PM »

DR Rodzinski - I've always liked the "Drowning songs"- Darling Jane, Johnny Surboard and Moody River

How about GLOOMY SUNDAY? That is a good one! But rather tragic.

MBarnum

« Reply #205 on: July 26, 2005, 03:07:06 PM »

DR Rodzinski, once you have listened to all the Twist tunes, you will need to watch the multitude of Twist movies that came out in the early 60s!  Twist Around the Clock, Twist All Night, Don't Knock the Twist, etc...they all seemed to have the same plots, just different twisters!

MBarnum

« Reply #206 on: July 26, 2005, 03:09:29 PM »

Coincidentally, someone just brought in posters to the office that warn of the  dangers of moving heavy loads (we will be moving our office to another building next week)...it says "Don't twist while holding a load."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #207 on: July 26, 2005, 03:24:36 PM »

Does anyone here find this wrong:

GODSPELL
(From the composer of Wicked)

Taken from a program ad from a local theatre companies children's theatre company's winter show.....

It just seems wrong to me that a show that is 30+ years old needs to be advertised with the new Broadway "craze".... (with kids and teens, anyway)

Not wrong to me.  As you said, it's been 30 years.  And even with countless high school/college/community theater productions in the 70s and 80s, there's a whole new generation of folks out there who have never seen it or heard of it.

They have heard of "Wicked," so it doesn't hurt to put in a plug if it might catch someone's attention.

As for "Wicked" being a craze with kids and teens...well, as one adult who saw it twice in San Francisco pre-Broadway, I have to tell you there were no kids in the audiences I saw it with, and yet EVERYone was standing and cheering...like they do on Broadway, so I'm told.

I don't suppose it's much different from someone doing a production of "Jesus Christ, Superstar" and putting in parens (from the composer of "Phantom of the Opera"-- which I presume would be the selection over "Sunset Boulevard" or some of ALW's more recent scores).

« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 03:27:48 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #208 on: July 26, 2005, 03:24:44 PM »

Tonight's Big Brother 6 (and has DR Jennifer dropped off the face of the earth or what???) will be the Veto Competition, which will be VERY exciting to many viewers.  We should also get the Veto ceremony, which, again, should prove HIGHLY exciting and entertaining.

No, I haven't dropped off the face of the earth.  I'm just exhausted.  Friday I spent preparing for my sister's baby shower.  Saturday I was running around like crazy (the baby shower was at 2pm).  Then Sunday I had to get up early to meet to get a coupon at 10am so we could buy some baby stuff.  Then sunday night was Mamma mia (an hour before my aunt called to say that she was very sick/had to go to the hospital and could not go). So we had to find a replacement with less than an hour.  And then monday/tues i had my sister's niece and nephew.  And they do not sit down for a minute.  So basically I am completely warn out!  I have briefly read most of the posts (and DR RLP i did receive your email about BB).  

Yes I agree the show tonight should be good.  Although we already know what happens.  Although I do think it will be interesting to see how they show they whole james thing on tv.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #209 on: July 26, 2005, 03:27:37 PM »

A night out at a special interest bar with Jose may well lead to DRs doing the "Lose Your Inhibition Twist" (Chubby Checker). The song was featured in my favourite pop stars of the 60's movie "It's Trad Dad".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up