Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OCTOBERFEST AND THE CASE OF THE MISSING "D"S  (Read 25426 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:OCTOBERFEST AND THE CASE OF THE MISSING "D"S
« Reply #180 on: October 01, 2005, 07:32:56 PM »

This is a "small world" type thing but I am currently listening to a rare movie soundtrack that I was seeking for a long time called THE PEOPLE NEXT DOOR and it is music composed by Don Sebesky who I believe is the same man Elmore is doing some work with. I'll have to check with Elmore.

td

• td
« Reply #181 on: October 01, 2005, 07:34:50 PM »

Does anyone have a copy of "The Murder of Mary Phagan" in their basement? Just tried to find a copy on the NET.  WOW! maybe the price is a reflection of the demand for Kevin Spacey pics. (I don't think I'm alone).
I stumbled across a copy of THEY WON'T FORGET today in my basement.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #182 on: October 01, 2005, 07:44:57 PM »

It vaguely resembled his tune until she held the long notes, at which point her vibrato took over and practically did cadenzas of the operatic sort. But as long as she smiled through the song, no one caught on that she had royally screwed up Hammerstein's lyrics.
I remember too well Ms. U's performance as the Witch in Into the Woods at the Long Beach Civic Light Opera.  At the end of each of her numbers, she would throw her arms wide and give a beaming smile, resembling rigor mortis.  She was breathtaking...but more in the sense of the exhalation final breath than exalting.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #183 on: October 01, 2005, 07:55:59 PM »

RE: Leslie Uggams and "June Is Busting Out All Over".... That is truly one priceless piece of footage!  And, best - or worst - of all, she was blocked to start the number in the audience and then make her way to the stage.  So, since she was walking around the audience, she was not able to take advantage of the monitors/prompters that were set up... to be viewed from the stage.

;)

However, I do have to give her credit for following the age-old adage: When you make a mistake, make it big!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #184 on: October 01, 2005, 07:58:47 PM »

I saw that it was Julie Andrews' birthday this morning and meant to mention it. She looks loverly for 70.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #185 on: October 01, 2005, 08:02:51 PM »

Sounds like a marvelous NYC time. Glad all of you folks enjoyed yourselves.

Looking forward to reading what DR Danise thought of CHITTY since I have my own opinions/impressions of it from having seen it in August.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #186 on: October 01, 2005, 08:03:49 PM »

That used to be one of my favorites.

However....

I decided to rename my favorite breakfast (which heretofore was called Eggs Benedict). Benedict is a vicious homophobic Pope bringing great despair to his flock and pain to his church!  Unfortunately, the first known queer Pope was also a Benedict (IX), so I shall have to go with another Flame of the Vatican, Julius (III).

Henceforth, breakfast shall be "Eggs Julius".

der Brucer

Welcome, all, to Gay and Lesbian History Month!!!

8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #187 on: October 01, 2005, 08:05:06 PM »

Had a peculiar kind of DVD evening. I finished GIANT first, and then put in SPARTACUS. I still have the old Universal-issued non-anamorphic edition of the film.

Well, something has happened to the disc because it would not play in ANY of my DVD players, so I will be ordering the Criterion anamorphic edition of it later tonight as a replacement.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #188 on: October 01, 2005, 08:06:07 PM »

Oh..

And while at Edgar's Cafe, I had the tiramisu (very good, and a nice "kick" from the Kahlua), and DR Antonia had a slice of their Black Forest Cake.

As for DR Rodzinski's Chocolate Velvet Boule - A "center" of chocolate mousse, surrounded by a thin layer of yellow sponge cake... and then it's all covered in a generous coating of chocolate ganache. YUM!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #189 on: October 01, 2005, 08:10:26 PM »

Of course, as I'm sitting here now, I'm beginning to question my "reasons" behind having the tiramisu at Edgar's Cafe...  After I had the rice pudding at Artie's...  Hmmm...

::)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 08:11:00 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #190 on: October 01, 2005, 08:12:26 PM »

OH!  DR elmore (and MBarnum) - I realized that I left my bag of wagashi from Minamoto Kichoan at your place.  Guess that means I'll have to drop by before you head down to Carnegie Hall tomorrow afternoon...

:)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 08:13:56 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #191 on: October 01, 2005, 08:15:12 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DAME JULIE!

70, GIRL, 70!
And her voice is still a bit better than Mildred Natwick's (in the show of the same name).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: October 01, 2005, 08:15:34 PM »

OH!

DR elmore et al - As for the possible late lunch/early dinner at Barrymore's tomorrow, Sunday, keep in mind that it's matinee day, and by the time we gather there, we would most likely be fighting the post-matinee crowds.  So....

If you do want to keep it in the Theatre District, there's always John's Pizza - a great space, and since they're soooo big, there's never really problem with a group coming in at the last minute.  Plus, it's just great pizza.  -And since we will be meeting at Barrymore's on Monday night...

Or we could head further uptown too...

DRJose, remind me where John's Pizza is.  i've only been there once.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2005, 08:16:12 PM »

YEAH!!!  Just watching the weather report... -No rain until Thursday now!  Yeah!  -And, yes, I do know we need some rain, but it will be nice to not to open an umbrella on Wednesday while trekking across the island.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: October 01, 2005, 08:17:31 PM »

DRJose, remind me where John's Pizza is.  i've only been there once.

It's on 44th - right next door to the St. James and Angus McIndoe.  *And it really is an amazing space - on old church, all that stained glass.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: October 01, 2005, 08:17:39 PM »

So, I put in ANYTHING GOES, the 1956 Bing Crosby-Donald O'Connor musical version, just issued this week on DVD.

I remembered that the movie wasn't particularly good, but I had forgotten how truly lame and over-extended the movie really is.

It has nothing to do with the original show, of course, and the new plot fashioned for this movie owes a lot to the MGM musical GIVE A GIRL A BREAK. A few songs from various versions of ANYTHING GOES pop up during the proceedings along with some new (rather routine) numbers by Van Heusen and Cahn, though the bouncing ball number with O'Connor is sort of fun and must have been a nightmare to stage and film with those children.

Crosby is paired with Jeanmaire, and it's not a match made in heaven. They try to make poor Jeanmaire into a French Mitzi Gaynor, and she just doesn't have the voice or the pop dancing skills to be more than mediocre. The clumsy dance she does with chorus boys that's supposed to wow the audience ("I Get a Kick Out of You") has her dancing ungracefully in heels and a black beatnick-like unitard that is not flattering to her. A later dream ballet number shows where her true dancing talent lies and also doesn't require her to sing.

Mitzi Gaynor tries really hard but the material kind of lets her down.

I have to say the art direction for the finale is stunning looking in widescreen (especially when the colors shift to lemon, silver, and black), but the routine (to "Blow, Gabriel, Blow" of all things) is really poor.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #196 on: October 01, 2005, 08:17:44 PM »

...Here is a photograph of Pogue, Hisaka, and Pat, taken directly after lunch.
I didn't realize until now that DR Pogue is so comparitively short.

(Of course, that also equates to our esteemed BK being quite tall.)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2005, 08:20:11 PM »

Has anyone mentioned that City Center Encores! is doing 70 GIRLS 70 this coming season? Should be some interesting casting.

Matt H.

« Reply #198 on: October 01, 2005, 08:20:26 PM »

After ANYTHING GOES was over, I felt in the mood for some decent Cole Porter so I put in the 1953 KISS ME KATE. I got restless with it, maybe because I've seen it so many times, and after skipping over the lengthy opening sequence that contains "So in Love" and "Too Darn Hot," I went right to the on-stage rehearsal and then up to the roof for "Why Can't You Behave/"

Enjoyed it as always but decided I was done with Cole Porter for the evening.

Matt H.

« Reply #199 on: October 01, 2005, 08:21:37 PM »

Has anyone mentioned that City Center Encores! is doing 70 GIRLS 70 this coming season? Should be some interesting casting.

I read somewhere that they're trying to get Angela Lansbury to do Mildred Natwick's role.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #200 on: October 01, 2005, 08:24:10 PM »

And, of course, DR Hisaka is a rose in lovely bloom.

:D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #201 on: October 01, 2005, 08:25:42 PM »

Der Brucer reminded me, when he picked me up after work tonight, that I'm scheduled for Wednesday off.

:o

Of course, that could change, but hopefully not.

Matt H.

« Reply #202 on: October 01, 2005, 08:28:27 PM »

ANyway, after putting KISS ME KATE back on the shelf, I took off the to-watch shelf a musical I've been threatening to do for weeks.

A CHORUS LINE.

Richard Attenborough made a lot of mistakes in this adaptation, but I think THE biggest mistake of all was using Jeffrey Hornaday as the choreographer. The dances don't look anything LIKE Broadway show dancing. Lord, what a mess! I had forgotten how overly busy and underwhelming the dancing is. And "I Can Do That" turning into a slapstick schtick number was disgraceful.

I got through "Surprise, Surprise," and I imagine "Nothing" is next on the playbill, but I'll have to finish it tomorrow.

Since so many of the men on the line had done A CHORUS LINE either in NYC or on the road (and some of the women, too, but not as many, I don't think), I have to wonder how they felt learning these crappy routines to replace the elegant, exciting show dancing they had been used to doing on stage. I know: it was a job in the movies that might have led to bigger things in Hollywood if the movie had been a hit, but they had to have been disappointed inside.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #203 on: October 01, 2005, 08:29:14 PM »

I need to crash.  Der B and I are going to a benefit for the Delaware Meals on Wheels program tomorrow, a brunch buffet featuring a number of the top local chefs, and I want to bright eyed and bushy-tailed.

Yep, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, another of those phrases.

;D

Danise

« Reply #204 on: October 01, 2005, 08:30:04 PM »

Evening folks!  Yes, Tis I in the City of York.

It’s been a long and exciting day.  The plane ride was lovely as always.  I love to watch all of the clouds and such.  I have learned that sitting on the left side of the plane when heading North is indeed the place to be.

Most interesting was the shadow of the plane that followed us faithfuly and then disappeared only to reappear when we made our decent.  It was also interesting to see the shadows of the taller clouds onto the lower clouds.

The guy who sat next to snored the whole way so I had to keep myself company by playing my word puzzles and such.  

When I arrived at the LQA, I had an easy time of getting my luggage but when I went to get my van ride I almost had a problem.  I happened to look at the ticket the lady gave me and realized she had the wrong Comfort Inn listed.  That would NEVER do so I had go back through the line and get a new ticket for the correct address.

It really didn’t take that long but by the time I arrived at the hotel at about 11:30 AM I was very tired and had not eaten a thing.

I have to comment of the very nice man who helped me into the lobby with my bags.  He just a guy on the street but he stepped up to help me when he saw I struggling to get them up the stairs.

The hotel check in went smooth but  the lobby was filled with people checking out.  I didn’t get the chance to ask about  you getting a room near mine, DR Jane.  Sorry.  I was just so grateful when they told me that a room was ready and waiting for me.

I called home and DR Elmore to tell him I made it safe and sound then went out in search of food.  I got one of the flat sandwiches that I always wanted to try and it was every bit as good a I thought it would be.  I took my BP meds because I was feeling funny then laid down.  I thought I set the alarm clock to get me up at 3 but didn’t wake up until 4:30!  I saw I had a message from DR Elmore about dinner and decided to try to get there.  I confess I was a bit groggy and disoriented so maybe that wasn’t the smartest thing to do.

I got lost and forgot that Chitty started at 7 not 8 and I lost the newspaper article I promised DR Mbarnum  (which I feel really bad about).  I couldn’t stay and enjoy dinner with my friends like I wanted to but at least I did get to eat and say a quick “Hi” before I had to catch a cab to go see Chitty.

I made it with 10 minutes to spare but as it happened the show didn’t start on time anyway.  There was an accident where I think a part of a light fell and hit some poor older lady in the head.  They worked on her and finely got her to her feet and out of the theater.  I do so hope that she is alright.

As for the show--it was wonderful!  I loved every moment of it.  Lots of “adult” references that would go over the kids heads but made it fun for an older crowd.

I then tried to retrace my steps to find that newspaper article but alas, no luck.  

DR Ginny needs not worry about how I feel about the Comfort Inn.  I really do like my room--only problem is that the internet doesn’t work in it and I’m typing this in the lobby.

There’s more I would love to tell but I’m tired and need to rest.

Have a wonderful evening everyone!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #205 on: October 01, 2005, 08:30:14 PM »

DR MattH - Why bother finishing "A Chorus Line"?  It was bad the first time you saw it, and it sounds like it still bad on your current viewing...  And don't you still have to get to "The Bostonians"?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #206 on: October 01, 2005, 08:30:24 PM »

So, today in the mail came WE'RE NO ANGELS, so I may put that into the player tomorrow after finishing A CHORUS LINE AND watching REUNION and THE OFFICE off the DVR.

With another heavy night of TV on Sunday, I need to watch those and clear it off to have space for more recording tomorrow night.

Danise

« Reply #207 on: October 01, 2005, 08:31:48 PM »

Here is one picture of the group.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #208 on: October 01, 2005, 08:32:58 PM »

Here is another and now I really must go!

Have a wonderful night!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #209 on: October 01, 2005, 08:33:12 PM »

DR MattH - Why bother finishing "A Chorus Line"?  It was bad the first time you saw it, and it sounds like it still bad on your current viewing...  And don't you still have to get to "The Bostonians"?

;)

Nope, I wrote in detail about THE BOSTONIANS the other day, probably while you were playing those auditions.

It's nostalgic watching ACL, as bad as it is. I love the show, having done it twice myself for extended runs, and seeing the bits and pieces of the original show that are in the movie brings back fond memories.

BTW, A CHORUS LINE has a beautiful DVD transfer. Naturally.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up