Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: MEET CUTE  (Read 30022 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:MEET CUTE
« Reply #270 on: October 28, 2005, 08:22:06 PM »

There's a dream in "The Wizard Of OZ"?

I think so...yes.  When they are in the poppy field, I'm pretty sure I saw Toto's and the Cowardly Lion's legs moving as though they were running.

Obviously, they were dreaming...

;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #271 on: October 28, 2005, 08:23:56 PM »

Last weekend, I started rewatching BATMAN BEGINS (after watching it all the way through last Friday) and got about an hour into it before I turned it off. So, tonight, I picked up where I had left off and finished watching it again. Liked it even more the second time through.

I read on the internet this morning that the sequel is tentatively scheduled for 2008.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #272 on: October 28, 2005, 08:24:53 PM »

This has been a terrible "sinus" day...as in mine have been dry, dry, dry...and semi-clogged.

I've been spritzing with saline solution all evening and have gotten some relief.

I think I need a vaporizer.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #273 on: October 28, 2005, 08:26:51 PM »

Then, since the DVR had let me down for my Hitchcock fix, I went through the Hitchcock section of my DVDs and selected the 1956 THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH. Always have loved it, and loved it this time, too.

There was a nice big scratch in the middle of the screen fairly early on, but most of it looked excellent. Mono sound, of course, and it was just fine.

I haven't rewatched many of my Hitchcock films on the newer TV, so I have some catching up to do there.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #274 on: October 28, 2005, 08:26:53 PM »

I think more studios ought to take a risk with projects they anticipate doing sequels on and shoot all the stories at once, over the period of a year or two, like Peter Jackson did with "Lord of the Rings."

I think the characters would become more intense and interesting if the actors had more time with them and the stories.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #275 on: October 28, 2005, 08:27:40 PM »

There was a nice big scratch in the middle of the screen fairly early on, but most of it looked excellent. Mono sound, of course, and it was just fine.

How on earth did you scratch your screen?  Was this a cleaning day and a rogue vaccuum cleaner got away from you?

Matt H.

« Reply #276 on: October 28, 2005, 08:28:45 PM »

So, I will save WOLF and THE ADVENTURES OF LOIS AND CLARK for tomorrow. Those will definitely be my DVDs for Saturday.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #277 on: October 28, 2005, 08:28:46 PM »

Tomorrow is my haircut day.  Miss Erin Arbogast will do the honors as she has done every third Saturday at 9 a.m.  the past 11 years!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 08:29:01 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #278 on: October 28, 2005, 08:30:22 PM »

How on earth did you scratch your screen?  Was this a cleaning day and a rogue vaccuum cleaner got away from you?

no comment. none needed.   ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #279 on: October 28, 2005, 08:32:19 PM »

Okay...fair enough, DR Matt H.

When you mop your kitchen floor...either before or after, do you ever do a little dance with the mop as a partner?

Or do you ever do a Fred Astaire move "while" mopping?

« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 08:32:39 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #280 on: October 28, 2005, 08:33:55 PM »

I only ask, because I used to do this in my villa in Napoli.  All the floors were tile, so I had to mop a lot.

I'd do little production numbers just to break the monotony.

But now, it takes me all of 2 1/2 minutes to mop my kitchen.  I can't even do a decent time step in 2 1/2 minutes.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #281 on: October 28, 2005, 08:34:14 PM »

Did I write that?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #282 on: October 28, 2005, 08:34:58 PM »

Are all you people out there lurking or catching up?

Perhaps wondering when the frell I'll sequester my typing digits?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #283 on: October 28, 2005, 08:35:53 PM »

Trouble is, I smell another small milestone, insignificant though it is...and I'm proceeding apace.

Matt H.

« Reply #284 on: October 28, 2005, 08:37:03 PM »

Okay...fair enough, DR Matt H.

When you mop your kitchen floor...either before or after, do you ever do a little dance with the mop as a partner?

Or do you ever do a Fred Astaire move "while" mopping?

While that might make such a despised chore more fun, it would also prolong it, and I just want to get it over with.

Looking forward to my free day on Saturday - no rooms to clean!  :D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #285 on: October 28, 2005, 08:37:16 PM »

Ta-DA!  I reached it.

And with that....adieu....adieu....

Parting is such sweet sorrow....

That I'll say nothing more...

Till it be morrow....

Matt H.

« Reply #286 on: October 28, 2005, 08:38:29 PM »

And CAPOTE just opened here today, so I'll look forward to seeing that either Monday or Tuesday afternoon with my fellow senior citizens!

FJL

« Reply #287 on: October 28, 2005, 08:47:00 PM »

Just catching up.  

That tiki-tiki- room lyric brings back memories.  We must have been to Disney World seven or eight times in ten years, but not at all since we got the first dog in 2000.  Got to get back there.

FJL

« Reply #288 on: October 28, 2005, 08:50:04 PM »

Has anybody already mentioned that MEAT CUTE might be a fun name for the musical version of that gay revenge movie that was being described earlier?  (Too bad KISS THE BOYS AND MAKE THEM DIE has already been used as a title, though - that would be the perfect title for that musical.)

FJL

« Reply #289 on: October 28, 2005, 08:52:54 PM »

Speaking of the word Rubenesque:  A friend of mine used to (in fun, of course) refer to a guy he was dating who was an agent as "Ruben Kincaid-esque" (a Partridge Family reference).

FJL

« Reply #290 on: October 28, 2005, 08:59:44 PM »

Thanks, Ginny, for making Skip and me a landmark on your map of the walking tour.  Skip got a real kick out of that.

FJL

« Reply #291 on: October 28, 2005, 09:01:16 PM »

I thought of frenzying my way up to post #600, since I'm only 10 posts away, but I'm being told it's bedtime.

Matt H.

« Reply #292 on: October 28, 2005, 09:02:14 PM »

I'm headed to bed myself.

Good night, all.

FJL

« Reply #293 on: October 28, 2005, 09:09:26 PM »

Praying for a trivia contest tomorrow.  Got nothing going on before Dear Friend Milla's cabaret show at 5, dinner after that, then THE ODD COUPLE.   I'm concerned about ODD COUPLE after the mixed reviews it's gotten, but Milla puts on a good show and dinner should be nice, at least.

FJL

« Reply #294 on: October 28, 2005, 09:11:39 PM »

Still stuck with "Julie, Julie, Julie, do you love me?" in my head, Tomovoz.  But it's a fun song to have running around in my brain.  Thnaks for reminding me of it.

FJL

« Reply #295 on: October 28, 2005, 09:13:08 PM »

And now, good night for real.  Skip doesn't seem to appreciate the importance of making it to 600 posts as a milestone.  :)

Jason

« Reply #296 on: October 28, 2005, 09:46:51 PM »

I'm home and I'm exahausted and I'm grouchy. We started at 9:30 this morning and I just got home about 20 minutes ago. I'm going to shower now and crash in my bed.

Ciao!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #297 on: October 28, 2005, 09:52:02 PM »

Man, what a long day.  Had a meeting that went late, then I was just too zonked and tired to attend the little get-together.  I wouldn't have arrived until nine-thirty and that's just too late.  Perhaps I'll go get some licorice.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #298 on: October 28, 2005, 10:42:30 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, Andy and I did end up going to see Nanci Griffith afterall.  What a wonderful concert! -And a very nice venue too, the "historic" Birchmere in Alexandria, VA.

Her opening act was an up and coming singer-songwriter, Elizabeth Cook.  It was just her and husband, a fellow singer-songwriter and guitarist, on stage for their 45-minute opening set.  She's basically a cross between Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton, lots of heart and lots of sass.  -And a very quick wit too!  The two titles that stick in my head - and which have quickly headed to the list of My Favorite Song Titles - are "Did You Have To Go Through This, Dolly?" (which she wrote after meeting with a record company exec), and "Sometimes It Takes Balls To Be A Woman".  -That last one was a real crown pleaser!

Then Nanci Griffith took the stage for a nice two-hour, non-stop set.  Simply amazing.  Her very unique voice and vocal coloring first caught my ear when she on the Garrison Keillor's "Prairie Home Companion".  Folk, bluegrass, country, rock-a-billy, folk-a-billy, etc... she does it all. She featured a good mix of new and older material.  One song, "Heat of Indochine", which is off her latest album, had me tearing me up - it was a tribute/lament to those who gave their lives in the Vietnam War - and she dedicated the song to our Brave Men and Women who are currently in the Middle East fighting in a "current day Vietnam".  Very touching.  She also devoted some time to talking about the recent hurricanes that have affected the Gulf Coast region, which is a place she calls home.

Her back up band, The Blue Moon Orchestra, was top-notch.  No strings - well, no violins - but a guitarist/accordionist, bass player, keyboard player and a drummer made more than enough sound on that stage.  And what a sound it was.

She'll actually be at Carnegie Hall next week, and she mentioned that the ticket sales have been sort of slow (since Clear Channel has been doing next to no promotion for her).  It will be the final concert for this tour for the new album.  And all proceeds will be donated to the County Music Hall of Fame, as part of the "One for the Hall" campaign that is going on now where artists have been asked to donate the proceeds from one concert this touring season to the CMHF.  Additionally, it will be her 20th Anniversary of her Carnegie Hall debut.

And since I'll actually be working in NYC next week...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #299 on: October 28, 2005, 10:49:21 PM »

As I was saying...

About an hour before the concert, I had a call from New York City.  Actually, a couple of calls...

As of now, I will be playing rehearsals next week for Lestat.  Due to another set of crazy circumstances, they need another staff-pianist now.  So, I'll either be heading up tomorrow or Sunday, going over the show with the conductor, and then joining everyone for the first day of rehearsals on Monday.  And then Tuesday night, there will be a Group Sales/Media event at which I'll most likely be playing too.  With Sir Elton John in attendance.   So...

Needless to say, I'm waaaay excited.  I'm only booked for next week at this moment, but there is a possibility...  Well...  There are other possibilities and options that may end up presenting themselves over the next couple of days.

I'm a bit overwhelmed at the prospects, but I do know that I have obligations I have to fulfill here in DC too over the next couple of weeks.  Lots of contigency plans.  Lots.  But for now, I'm looking forward to being there on Day One thru Day Six.  And if it turns out things need to be discussed, worked out, bargained for, well...  We'll cross that bridge when and if it comes to that.

*Honestly, I feel I'm in a win-win situation.  But I'm also at the point - at least right now - where I hope that the decision will be made for me, rather than by me.  Just sooo much to process.  -Guess who's not sleeping tonight...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up