Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAUNDRY LIST  (Read 38142 times)

Jennifer

Re:THE LAUNDRY LIST
« Reply #180 on: January 07, 2004, 01:12:23 PM »

I decided to have that grilled chicken sandwich today at Subway. I haven't been eating the past 2 days. And it was something I was craving. While there I saw an interesting sign.  I mentioned that they have the new atkins wraps. Well there was a sign up that said you could take ANY sandwich and have it on a wrap (instead of bread). They also posted the carb stats.

Interesting.

I think I would like a grilled chicken wrap!  Yeah, next time I may try that. Although I would like to try the atkins wraps as they were designed too.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #181 on: January 07, 2004, 01:17:33 PM »

A pony rubs his nose on a cat in the Budakeszi game park near Budapest, Hungary on Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2004, after snow started to fall in the morning hours in some parts of Hungary. (AP Photo / MTI, Mate Nandorfi)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2004, 01:22:19 PM »

Loved the pictures of Dickens, DR Ron. Thanks for sharing them.

Everyone's pet pictures are really wonderful.

I don't go out of my way to watch the pairs or ice dancing. Not that they aren't athletic or beautiful, but I guess I just like the solo work much more. For those who DO like the pairs and dance, their short programs are on tonight on ESPN2 at (I think) 10 p.m. I'll be watching LAW & ORDER.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 01:23:38 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #183 on: January 07, 2004, 01:24:38 PM »

I don't suppose ABC will show the finals in high definition. I guess that's too much to hope for.   :P
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 01:25:34 PM by Matt H. »

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #184 on: January 07, 2004, 01:24:56 PM »

WEL, thank you!  I checked and my county library system has the Joan Blondell book!  It's in storage, but I can just ask them to send it to my nearest branch and could have it in a few days.

What's June's name in the book? ;)
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Jennifer

« Reply #185 on: January 07, 2004, 01:26:11 PM »

Sob. DR Ben: you became a God and I didn't even notice :(

Btw, did you post any pics of london? If so I missed them. Double :(

Laura II

« Reply #186 on: January 07, 2004, 01:27:46 PM »

DR Ron: The picture of you is so cute! I also love the pictures of Dickens (and Vickie). Dickens was precious!

DR MBarnum: Loved the pic of you and Salty, too!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: January 07, 2004, 01:28:25 PM »

The Internet announcement I've been talking about will be announced in tomorrow's notes, so don't miss 'em.

Matt H.

« Reply #188 on: January 07, 2004, 01:39:34 PM »

A word of caution about DINNER AT EIGHT. While it does contain some classic lines and some really good comedy, there are quite a few dramatic (melodramatic is more like it) segments to it, and it's not all fun and games. It's all very well put together (grand, unfussy direction by George Cukor), but there are some sad, pitiful moments.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #189 on: January 07, 2004, 01:40:52 PM »

Lulu---
It's been so long since I read it I don't remember the character names, but you should have no trouble figuring it out.  Just remember what --- or should I say who --- Joan and June have in common.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #190 on: January 07, 2004, 01:40:59 PM »

Regarding:

Quote from: Ben on Today at 12:13:32pm
Suffice it to say, we had a supercalifragilisticexpialidocius (did I spell that correctly?) time.

You were doing fine 'till you got to the antepenultimate - you need to add a "u" to get "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".

der Brucer (with clearly too much time on his hands)
[/size]

Actually, Bruce...I think it's the "o" that needed adding.

;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 01:42:10 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #191 on: January 07, 2004, 01:43:31 PM »

A word of caution about DINNER AT EIGHT. While it does contain some classic lines and some really good comedy, there are quite a few dramatic (melodramatic is more like it) segments to it, and it's not all fun and games. It's all very well put together (grand, unfussy direction by George Cukor), but there are some sad, pitiful moments.

The last scene between Jean Harlow and Marie Dressler is worth EVERY discomfort one might find in the melodrama.  It's one of THE MOST PRICELESS MOMENTS in the entire history of American cinema!

Matt H.

« Reply #192 on: January 07, 2004, 01:44:38 PM »

Hey! Somebody likes WICKED out there! Look at the first paragraphs from this article at Playbill:

"The Wicked cast recording — now available on the Decca Broadway label — had the highest first-week sales of any Broadway cast recording since Jonathan Larson's Rent in 1996. According to Nielsen SoundScan, the 19-track disc sold 17,841 units during its first week on the shelves. Comparatively, during their first weeks, blockbusters Hairspray sold 8,769 units, while The Producers fans bought 8,052 CDs."

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: January 07, 2004, 01:48:43 PM »

The last scene between Jean Harlow and Marie Dressler is worth EVERY discomfort one might find in the melodrama.  It's one of THE MOST PRICELESS MOMENTS in the entire history of American cinema!

Oh, I hope no one thought I was criticizing the film. I LOVE a mix of comedy and drama. I just wanted those who hadn't experienced it to be aware that despite the presences of Jean Harlow, Marie Dressler, and Billie Burke, it's not a slapstick or even sophisticated comedy romp.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #194 on: January 07, 2004, 01:51:16 PM »

A pony rubs his nose on a cat in the Budakeszi game park near Budapest, Hungary on Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2004, after snow started to fall in the morning hours in some parts of Hungary. (AP Photo / MTI, Mate Nandorfi)

Jane, that photo is labeled a "Mule __ friend," but your description says a pony.  I think pony is correct, that isn't a mule.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: January 07, 2004, 01:52:32 PM »

I'm happy about WICKED selling well, but, of course, it's just a drop in the bucket to what pop artists and rappers sell nowadays. I remember when cast albums would routinely be in the Top 5 on the charts. Those days are gone for good, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 01:53:29 PM by Matt H. »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #196 on: January 07, 2004, 01:54:18 PM »

DRJANE - if you are a Toller fan....his book....  If you just want to know what's behind ice skating's facade.... INSIDE EDGE...  Both have their plusses!

CENTER DOOR FANCY is kind of clumsily written and Joan REALLY hates June which is obvious....but didn't Joan leave Dick Powell to marry Mike Todd?  June mentions it in her book and denies part of the story Joan tells so she certainly gives credence to the "fiction."
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #197 on: January 07, 2004, 01:54:46 PM »

A mule is an animal with long funny ears....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #198 on: January 07, 2004, 01:55:12 PM »

Freedom!  Freedom!

Ah, a Shenandoah reference...

I still get the shivers remembering sitting in the seventh row and having John Cullom erupt with Meditation (I then II). And the "Pass the Cross To Me" finale with Boy hobbling down the aisle has to be the biggest tearjerker ever - I dare you not to cry!

der sobbing Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #199 on: January 07, 2004, 01:55:26 PM »

Hey! Somebody likes WICKED out there! Look at the first paragraphs from this article at Playbill:

"The Wicked cast recording — now available on the Decca Broadway label — had the highest first-week sales of any Broadway cast recording since Jonathan Larson's Rent in 1996. According to Nielsen SoundScan, the 19-track disc sold 17,841 units during its first week on the shelves. Comparatively, during their first weeks, blockbusters Hairspray sold 8,769 units, while The Producers fans bought 8,052 CDs."

They were probably all purchased by people from this site.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: January 07, 2004, 01:57:28 PM »

I just posted about the Wicked sales figures elsewhere.  These articles are being put out by Decca's publicity department.  While there is nothing wrong with 17,000 copies for a first week, in the scheme of things it's meaningless.  I'm quite certain it was a very expensive album (my guess is over $400,000) and it will take quite a few units to break the album even.  Most cast albums never break even.  Given that Universal is doing the comparisons, I would take them with a grain of salt.  The Producers has done very well and I'm sure Hairspray has as well.  I'm certain Wicked, over the long haul, will do fine.  The Universal publicity blitz is tiresome - the cast albums that end up being winners just go about their business and sell consistently.  Decca doesn't need to pump this up - if people like the album it will sell - if the show continues to run and has a tour, it will sell.  Simple as pie.  I hate these kinds of press releases - it actually does more harm than good because it makes people think they're all just patting themselves on the back like total winners - people react in opposite ways to that.

Ben

« Reply #201 on: January 07, 2004, 01:58:42 PM »

Jennifer, I posted the picture this morning of Ant and me near Tower Bridge (it's on the first page I think - me in a blue duffel coat and Ant in a hat with flaps to cover his ears) but I haven't posted any others. I'll let everyone know when I do that. Especially when I post the one with me and the spotted dick.

Quite alright about missing the acension. It just happened. Kinda like life, ya know :-)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #202 on: January 07, 2004, 02:07:11 PM »

DR WEL,

I'd love to read a good biography of Judy Holliday. I'd like to know more about her childhood; her early relationship with Comden and Green; and her friendships in Hollywood and on Broadway. I know there were personal heartaches plus difficulties with the IRS, but I'd like to read remembrances from those who knew her. I'm grateful she left such a wonderful legacy, but sad, of course, that she died so young. It's interesting to think about what else she may have achieved.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #203 on: January 07, 2004, 02:08:03 PM »

I still get the shivers remembering sitting in the seventh row and having John Cullom erupt with Meditation (I then II). And the "Pass the Cross To Me" finale with Boy hobbling down the aisle has to be the biggest tearjerker ever - I dare you not to cry!

der sobbing Brucer

Yes, second only to Grizabella flying off to heaven on a spare tire.
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #204 on: January 07, 2004, 02:08:37 PM »

Onomatopoeia -- sounds like something socially unacceptable, doesn't it!

If Onomato wants to poeia, he should go to the men's room forthwith!

And to answer DR Jose's earlier question -- which just sprang into my head:  Yes!  You can say "pee" here in this forum.

If I can say "poeia," you can say "pee."

« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 02:11:20 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #205 on: January 07, 2004, 02:10:50 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Welcome to Olympus, Ben[/move]

It's Nirvana now that you are here!

Matt H.

« Reply #206 on: January 07, 2004, 02:14:54 PM »

der sobbing Brucer

I did SHENANDOAH back in 1982, and there were audible sobs every night, not just with the boy coming home, but with the deaths of James and Anne and with Jacob's surprise shooting. (I played Jacob, and the director had me do a LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGG death crawl towards my father after I was shot. He used to laugh saying I dragged my death out longer than Camille. Afterwards, I would stand and cry and cry during "The Only Home I Know" (which I had to help sing from behind a scrim but could never get through it without sobbing) and "Meditation II."

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #207 on: January 07, 2004, 02:17:23 PM »

My other favorite moment in the film is Billie Burke's hysterical tantrum.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: January 07, 2004, 02:21:04 PM »

I just did another triple lutz.  My co-workers are amazed at my capacity for lutzing.

Jason

« Reply #209 on: January 07, 2004, 02:23:03 PM »

I know that Universal and Decca are promoting the WICKED CD like mad, but I must admit, I was really shocked the day I got my recording (which was it's release date.) When I picked up my copy at Tower records, they had stacks and stacks of WICKED as well as BOY FROM OZ, and when I returned to the very same Tower the next day, they only had heaps and heaps of BOY FROM OZ and two copies left of WICKED. That ain't too shabby for one day, I'd say, and since then they've only kept a few copies of it on the shelves...I don't know if that's from genuine sales or if they're just trying to make it look like it's selling well. Granted, this is the Tower at Lincoln Center, which is right next door to Julliard, so that might account for some of the sales, but it's still exciting to see cast albums flying off the shelves...no pun intended.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Up