Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAUNDRY LIST  (Read 38144 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE LAUNDRY LIST
« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2004, 02:24:33 PM »

Are you sure in doing all of these lutzes over and over you're taking off on the proper edge, bk? Skaters who cheat take off on a back inside edge and when you do that, it's called a "flutz."

Nicole Bobek and Tara Lipinski were both infamous for flutzing and getting away with it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 02:28:15 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #211 on: January 07, 2004, 02:30:00 PM »

Ah okay i see the pic now. I think I was reading the posts on page one without being connected to the internet. It must not have picked up the picture.

And when I looked at your last 10 posts, it didn't show the pic :(

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #212 on: January 07, 2004, 02:30:17 PM »

DR WEL,

I'd love to read a good biography of Judy Holliday. I'd like to know more about her childhood; her early relationship with Comden and Green; and her friendships in Hollywood and on Broadway. I know there were personal heartaches plus difficulties with the IRS, but I'd like to read remembrances from those who knew her. I'm grateful she left such a wonderful legacy, but sad, of course, that she died so young. It's interesting to think about what else she may have achieved.

Dan -- I read a good Judy Holliday biography several years ago.  I don't even remember the name off-hand, but I will look for it at home and see if I can find it.  It wasn't exactly a tell-all, but I remember not being quite so in awe of her after I finished reading it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #213 on: January 07, 2004, 02:32:10 PM »

<Ah okay i see the pic now.>

Why do I know that whenever I see a line like that it will be from our dear Jennifer?

Jennifer

« Reply #214 on: January 07, 2004, 02:37:40 PM »

Hey where is DR Emily: I know she likes to talk about Subway :)

Jennifer

« Reply #215 on: January 07, 2004, 02:43:30 PM »

<Ah okay i see the pic now.>

Why do I know that whenever I see a line like that it will be from our dear Jennifer?

Hey be nice or I will punch you (and remember I like to punch men).

I saw people mentioning the pic, and I read all the posts and did not see it.  I even went to ben's last 10 posts, but i saw no picture.  So i asked!

I'm pretty good at this technical stuff (you are one to talk :) )

Bye all.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #216 on: January 07, 2004, 02:44:15 PM »

I, for one, would like to know more about those pictures from Mars.

Every time I see what I think are pictures from Oz on TV, it turns out to be animation from NASA about what they "think" things looked like when their equipment approached, and then landed on, Mars.

I want the real deal.

Are we getting the real deal, BK?

Huh?  Huh?  Is the real deal out there?

If it is, where do I have to look to see the real deal?

You want the real deal?  HERE is a link to today's Astronomy Picture of the Day, which has a genuine color image of the surface of Mars!  I love this website.  I have the ARCHIVE bookmarked, but here is the MAIN PAGE for the site.  I highly recommend it.

I have been at work since noon but this is the first time that I've had to read any of the posts.  I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this site or not, but it's pretty cool. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #217 on: January 07, 2004, 02:44:40 PM »

Dan -- I read a good Judy Holliday biography several years ago.  I don't even remember the name off-hand, but I will look for it at home and see if I can find it.  It wasn't exactly a tell-all, but I remember not being quite so in awe of her after I finished reading it.

TCB, Thanks for looking for it. Years ago I found a slender biography at a library. I browsed during lunch hour but, when I returned a couple of weeks later, the book had been sold or pulped because no one had borrowed it. I met JH when I was a teenager. She was really kind, and I had no idea at the time that she was terminally ill.

Matt H.

« Reply #218 on: January 07, 2004, 02:45:43 PM »

Yes, there was a Judy Holliday biography, but I couldn't put my hands on it looking for it a little while ago.

Matt H.

« Reply #219 on: January 07, 2004, 02:47:40 PM »

Found it - JUDY HOLLIDAY by Will Holtzman.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #220 on: January 07, 2004, 02:51:16 PM »

I still get the shivers remembering sitting in the seventh row and having John Cullom erupt with Meditation (I then II). And the "Pass the Cross To Me" finale with Boy hobbling down the aisle has to be the biggest tearjerker ever - I dare you not to cry!

der sobbing Brucer
Unfortunately, it's one of those things where "Ya had t' be there."  Even with der Brucer describing that finale to me, talking with his hands as usual, I still didn't get it.  Still don't.  

Oh, it's Cullum, not Cullom.  U having trouble today, dear?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #221 on: January 07, 2004, 02:52:18 PM »

Yes, there was a Judy Holliday biography, but I couldn't put my hands on it looking for it a little while ago.

I am fairly sure that I know where my copy is located.  I don't have that big a place and the bookcases are all in one room.  If I find it Dan, would you like it?  I would be happy to send it to you (notice the generosity before he even knows if he can find it).
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #222 on: January 07, 2004, 03:07:19 PM »

Oooh!  Oooh!  New Good Eats episode tonight on Food Network!

Hey, some of you go for those remodel/decorating shows, I'm an Alton Brown fan!   8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #223 on: January 07, 2004, 03:07:36 PM »

Dorothy Hamill -- won a Gold Medal and remains a stunning figure in professional skating.

Peggy Fleming -- won a gold medal and remains a stunning figure in professional skating.

Annette Poetsch -- Won a gold medal and disappeared.

Katarina Witt -- Won two gold medals (on sex appeal alone) and skates professionally with a huge fan base (minus me).

Kristi Yamaguchi -- Won a gold medal and remains an inspiration to young skaters everywhere.

Oksana Baiul -- won a gold medal and went downhill.  Has given "prima donnas" a bad name.  Recent appearances have been full of promise that she has finally awakened to reality.

Tara Lipinski -- won a gold medal, hurt her hip, and can't skate competitively any more.  All before she was 18.

Sarah Hughes -- won a gold medal, grew taller, added weight and has decided she has nothing more to prove, so she's out of skating, also at age 18.  Her best skate ever was her Olympic skate.  It's the ONLY time I've ever seen her skate that I didn't think her jumps were klunky.

Michelle Kwan -- takes a licking and keeps on ticking!  As gorgeous on ice now, if not more so, than she ever has been.  Has had a long, glorious amateur career and is idolized by millions despite winning only Silver and Bronze Olympic medals.

Sasha Cohen -- yawn.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 03:15:02 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #224 on: January 07, 2004, 03:16:30 PM »

I have the Judy Holliday bio - it's pretty okay.

Matt H.

« Reply #225 on: January 07, 2004, 03:21:55 PM »

I will never forget driving home from school on Friday afternoon the day Dorothy Hamill skated for that gold medal, and it was being broadcast live on the radio. I can't believe I made it home before I wrecked the car because with every jump, I was about to jump out of the car myself. That night, knowing she had won the gold medal, I watched her skate on TV with tears in my eyes. It was SUCH a beautiful performance, the last Olympic lady to win the gold medal without doing a triple jump, and she didn't need to.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #226 on: January 07, 2004, 03:25:32 PM »

Oooh!  Oooh!  New Good Eats episode tonight on Food Network!

Hey, some of you go for those remodel/decorating shows, I'm an Alton Brown fan!   8)

Since I was on a snow day yesterday, I watched Oprah and she had her hottie home decorator on the show.  Who would care if he knew anything about home decorating?  He is lovely.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #227 on: January 07, 2004, 03:30:20 PM »

Yes, he is, TCB. TV GUIDE had a short piece about Nate Birkus in their newest issue.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #228 on: January 07, 2004, 03:30:44 PM »

Oh, TCB -- book, cover, skin deep, etc.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: January 07, 2004, 03:32:39 PM »

Sure, talk about Dorothy Hamill - I don't see her doing triple lutzes down the hallway here at work.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #230 on: January 07, 2004, 03:33:43 PM »

Oh, TCB -- book, cover, skin deep, etc.

Yes, Ron, but I think you are a hottie, too.
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #231 on: January 07, 2004, 03:35:19 PM »

Just for that remark, TCB:

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #232 on: January 07, 2004, 03:35:25 PM »

Yes, he is, TCB. TV GUIDE had a short piece about Nate Birkus in their newest issue.

Hmmm, Birkus ..... he wouldn't even have to change his monogramed towels.
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #233 on: January 07, 2004, 03:37:03 PM »

And from the website, Nate Berkus Associates:

Matt H.

« Reply #234 on: January 07, 2004, 03:42:11 PM »

I appreciated DR Ron's listing of female gold medalists and others, but he left off the magnificent 1972 Olympic Champion - Trixie Shuba. She looked like an ox, couldn't do the simplest double jumps without falling, and won only because she was an expert school figures skater who built such a commanding lead in the figures that no one could catch her in free skating.

She too disappeared after her Olympic and world championship wins, and no wonder. Who would want to pay to see a professional skater trace figures 8's in the ice? That's all she could do expertly.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 03:44:22 PM by Matt H. »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #235 on: January 07, 2004, 03:43:36 PM »

This is so lovely having this many posts before four o'clock Pacific Mean Time.  I'm bursting with pride.  Why, I think I'll do a triple lutz.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #236 on: January 07, 2004, 03:49:54 PM »

I didn't mention Trixie Shuba 'cuz I don't know from Trixie Shuba.

I've heard Dick Button AND Scott Hamilton talk about her, especially regarding her beating out Janet Lynn when Lynn was clearly a superior skater.

It was the disparity in scoring school figures and Lynn's inability to do them well that led to changes in scoring in the early 70s.  I've never seen Janet Lynn skate a complete program, but I'm informed that she was a very musical, graceful performer with a good deal of athleticism besides.

Jennifer

« Reply #237 on: January 07, 2004, 03:50:18 PM »

I ate again. 2 meals in one day. Yeah. And it was so good.  I marinated pork and grilled it. And I made tsatzki with cucumbers, lettuce and feta. Yummy.

Btw, is anyone gonna watch Celebrity Mole tonight?

Also new episodes of Ed and The West Wing.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #238 on: January 07, 2004, 03:58:22 PM »

Granted, this is the Tower at Lincoln Center, which is right next door to Julliard, so that might account for some of the sales, but it's still exciting to see cast albums flying off the shelves...no pun intended.

DR Jason, it could be my roommate - I think she bought out half the stock from that Tower to give away as holiday gifts.  ;)
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #239 on: January 07, 2004, 04:02:51 PM »

I sometimes wish Kristi Yamaguchi had hung around to compete in 1994, although I understand perfectly why she felt she didn't have to.  I think she would have run circles around that year's competition.  I enjoyed watching her evolve professionally, and her retirement is part of the reason I sort of lost interest in skating..

DR Matt, do you ever go to the touring skating shows when they come to your town?

DR TCB, you CRACK ME UP!
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Up