Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LAUNDRY LIST  (Read 38136 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE LAUNDRY LIST
« Reply #240 on: January 07, 2004, 04:03:48 PM »

Janet was a lyrical and expressive skater (though I never thought she was an especially high jumper which is why she stumbled in most of her major competitions even in free skating.) The short program basically was added to skating because of Janet Lynn and those like her who were better at the thing audiences wanted to see: free skating.

The skater who finished second all those years to Janet at Nationals and who consistently placed ahead of her at worlds was a favorite of mine - Julie Lynn Holmes.

Quick trivia question. The last world ladies champion who had to win the title doing both figures and free skating came from the US. Her name is ........(answer below)

Jill Trenery.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #241 on: January 07, 2004, 04:07:58 PM »

Yes, DR LC, I have been to Stars on Ice quite often. I enjoy the shows, but the exhibitions don't have the pizzazz of a competition. I'd like to go to a National Championship one year. That would be a great gift to myself!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #242 on: January 07, 2004, 04:10:20 PM »

Alas, no Benicio tonight. We drove to the Egyptian to get early tickets for 21 GRAMS and discovered that the tickets which I was assured were not sold out, were indeed sold out. Hearing this, my daughter uttered something I won't print on a family website. We spent the next two hours bickering like Oscar and Felix while sweaty, sleezy men with bad haircuts tried to sell us tours.
Now I'm home and I could really end the day right now - but there are at least 8 more hours to go.
The good news is that I don't have to drive to Rancho Cucamonga tomorrow, after all.
The Cucamongian friends are driving to Studio City to visit us. A generous thing for them to do. And a relief to me.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #243 on: January 07, 2004, 04:26:30 PM »

Does anyone remember when 1994 Gold Medalist Alexei Urmanov won his first professional figure skating title?

He had a humongous red cape, an enormous hat and did a pathetic magic trick (he was supposed to be some magician or other -- interpreting a piece of classical music -- but he could only do one trick, and it failed).  He just swooped and flounced around on the ice.

The judges always messed themselves over him, but it was one of the most appallingly bad things I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 04:34:22 PM by Ron Pulliam »

MBarnum

« Reply #244 on: January 07, 2004, 04:28:31 PM »

Jane, what a horrible experience to see you kitten run over! Oh, geez!

Yep, Jason, still have the same haircut!!

All this talk of Olympic skaters and no one remembers little Carol Heiss!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #245 on: January 07, 2004, 04:30:55 PM »

I remember Carol Heiss, but she was before my viewing experience.  There was Tenley Albright and the Hayes brothers and Dick Button, too.

Here, I've found the VERY performance I was describing above:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 04:33:22 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #246 on: January 07, 2004, 04:35:17 PM »

Who here has a soft spot in their hearts for the film musical "Snow White and the Three Stooges"?????

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #247 on: January 07, 2004, 04:37:55 PM »

We now have 8 (count 'em 8 ) HHW Gods, and six are in the running to join them.

We should be overflowing with gods before much longer!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 04:38:17 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #248 on: January 07, 2004, 04:58:34 PM »

Jane, that photo is labeled a "Mule __ friend," but your description says a pony.  I think pony is correct, that isn't a mule.

Oops ???

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #249 on: January 07, 2004, 05:00:38 PM »

Whew!  I only go away for about three hours, and another six pages of posts to catch up on!  Wow-- nah, that was yesterday's word... I think today's will be "flibbertygibbett" - which is a favorite word of Mr. Sondheim, it was how he decribed the character of Johanna in Sweeney Todd last summer during rehearsals.  And a fine word it is.

OH - I meant to mention this earlier - and maybe I did, but I don't think so...

While I was working on the charts earlier, I heard some "commotion" downstairs.  Some sort of delivery man was talking to my mom.  I just figured it was one of my mom's food service vendors from the nursing home making a visit - which they do regularly.  Well, she called me downstairs to move something...  Our old dining room table(!) since she had a new table and set of chairs delivered this afternoon!  It's quite the beautiful set!  Very dark brown lacquer finish with japanese details.  Of course, when I asked if my dad knew she was buying a new table, she said, "No."  Well.. when I got back from dropping off the music, my dad was home, and he didn't seem perturbed at all.  And the old table is now in the living room serving as a work table for my mom as she works on putting all the pics she took over the holidays into albums.  -And the table will most likely find it's way to my new apartment in a couple of weeks. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #250 on: January 07, 2004, 05:03:51 PM »

And the table will most likely find it's way to my new apartment in a couple of weeks. :)

How conveeeeeeeeenient!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #251 on: January 07, 2004, 05:14:15 PM »

We now have 8 (count 'em 8 ) HHW Gods, and six are in the running to join them.

We should be overflowing with gods before much longer!

Here's a post to get me one step closer:

Questions for BK:  do you have the music for all of the shows that you've written in sheet-music-like arrangements or are they just lead sheets with chords?  In other words, how complete are they?

Also, do you have copies of EVERY recording that have ever been made of shows that you've written?  And do you only have the vinyl albums to the recordings that were originally only on vinyl albums or have you had any (many?) put onto CD?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #252 on: January 07, 2004, 05:16:06 PM »

Here's another post to get me one step closer to HHW God-dom (and my 450th post!):

Even though it's not Friday, In my CD player:  a CD that I made of the original cast album of BK's very own show that he wrote and starred in:  Together Again.  It's quite delightful!  I got the album on eBay last year sometime, but never made a CD until now.  As most of us know, BK has quite the skill for writing a melody.  After that will be the CD of the album of Ruggles of Red Gap that I mentioned last night.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #253 on: January 07, 2004, 05:17:12 PM »

Good evening all,

I think the good vibes are working because this is the best I have felt since Friday.  I will be speaking with my doctor when I go on MLK day.  I’m sure there must be something she can prescribe for me when these attacks hit.  

Thank you also for the condolences on my fish.  I’ve been very surprised by the number of kind hearted people at work that have stop by my desk in the past day to say how sorry they are that he’s gone.  Most want to know if/when I’m going to get another one.  I’m not ready for that yet but I will consider it.

I do have to tell you my favorite memory about him   He did not like men.  A lady could sit in my chair with no problem but if the computer repair guy came or a man stood next to me, he would puff all up and fly up and down the glass like he would attack the guy if he could get at him.  I don’t know if he was jealous or protecting me or if it was something else.  I’ll never for him.

We had a survey passed around today at work asking what other languages you speak besides English.   I offered to put “Foul” and some “Klingon” but was told that wasn’t what they were looking for.  Ah well.  

Ron, I  really like the pictures of your kitty.  

Well, I’m interested to see what Bruce’s surprise is. I love surprises if they are good ones.  I don’t like bad surprises.  

I enjoyed reading all the skating posts.  I used to watch it all the time.  I often wondered what happened to ‘Bowman the showman”.  Now I know.  

As far as bio’s go, I don’t know about one I would like to read.  I’ve read most of the ones that interest me.  I remember hunting for everything I could get my hands on about Errol Flynn.  I remember I was shocked to learn that he didn’t have a headstone on his grave for years.  

I was equally sorry to learn of the loss of his son.  Pity that.  I would have liked to see what he looked like.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #254 on: January 07, 2004, 05:23:46 PM »

DR derBrucer - I MD'ed a production of Shenandoah a couple of years ago, and it always surprised me at how moving the show was.  And how tricky it was to make the show "moving" without being treacly and overly-sentimental - which is a trap it can easily fall into.  The whole second act is a sob-fest.  And during the second Meditation, the director brought the house lights up very slowly so that the audience ended up being directly addressed in a way.  Quite a powerful statement about war and death.

-And that score - at least the piano/vocal part - has some tricky parts in it.  I actually had to practice! ;)

However, my favorite memory of that production was casting our Gabriel.  We cast out of Chicago, and we were having problems finding an African-American boy who could act and sing.  Well, the morning session went by with no real candidates - the agents just didn't know who or what to submit.  Well, during the afternoon session, one young gentleman came in and knocked our socks off with his reading.  Unfortunately, he said he didn't really sing.  Well...  We just sat at the piano for a good half hour, and, lo and behold, the boy could sing!  And pretty loudly too!  I kind of walked him through some exercises, and just told him to keep trying, and he did.  His mother walked back in later, and she though someone else had gotten the part - she had heard the singing down the hall, but didn't realize it was her son who was doing the singing!  I was exhausted after that! The only way I could get him to sing "high" was if I sang high(!).  So, after belting out high C's and D's for about 30 minutes  (that "Freedom" song is high(!!!)), we gave him the job... And then we (not the young gentleman and his mother) all headed over to Cafe Baba-Reeba for some tapas and a couple of pitchers of sangria!  -And all on the producers tab too!!

*I actually used to keep in touch with him and his mother for a few years after that via e-mail.  He ended up getting a bunch of day-players parts on "Chicago Hope", "ER", "Morning Edition", etc.  Unfortunately, I can't even think of his name right now... Mmm... I may have to look up that program when I get back to Richmond tomorrow.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #255 on: January 07, 2004, 05:37:48 PM »

DR SWW - Thanks for the "Good Eats" reminder.  I like Alton Brown, and I love his show.  So quirky, funny, and still manages to be very informative - and some of the less-traditional takes on traditional recipes are quite good.  -His chocolate "lava" cake recipe is a favorite of mine.

I don't have any of the tapes or DVD of his programs - just seems weird to pay that much for something that I can see at 9:00pm and 1:00am every Wednesday - as well as various times during the week.  However, I would like to see the Q&A sections.  -And do they have bloopers?  *If they were a little cheaper I'd buy them, but $19.95(?) does seem a bit much for a half-hour program.  Or are they longer on the DVDs?  -I think you said you owned a set...

I actually stood next to him in a very slow-moving line at La Guardia in September - as we were all waiting to fly out of NYC before hurricane Isabel shut the airport down.  We got out.  I'm not sure he did.

-He was actually less "sexy" in person than on TV, imho.  Still very quirky/preppy/smart, but something just wasn't "right".  I think it had to do with the fact that he was wearing a very nice suit, and had a few days of stubble on his face.  I'll take the stubble, but the suit just seemed out of the ordinary - at least compared to his usual attire on his TV show.

Oh, and do you have his new book on kitchen equipment?  I think I've mentioned it before sometime ago.  In any case, I was very proud of myself when I went through it, and found that I had most of his recommended pieces of kitchen wares - as well as his recommended brands and models.

Of course, my favorite "chunk" - chef+hunk - is still Tyler Florence.  I keep trying to think of a Food 911 emergency of my very own.  I used to like Rocco diSpirito, but now he's just a slickie-boy to me.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 05:39:32 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #256 on: January 07, 2004, 05:38:06 PM »

BTW--I was wrong about not being able to buy Bruces 1st two books off of the web site. I must have been confused with Kritzer Time which is not yet available.  

I just bought both of them and am now going to figure out how to get them on my PDA so I can read them.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

MBarnum

« Reply #257 on: January 07, 2004, 05:44:50 PM »

Who here has a soft spot in their hearts for the film musical "Snow White and the Three Stooges"?????

Here, here, Ron! I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this film! Beautiful color, and it is the only reason  I even know who Carol Heiss is! LOL! The skating is great, and I always thought Edson Stroll made a fine Prince Charming! He has his own website now, but he has completely ignored my numerous attempts to get him to consent to an interview!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #258 on: January 07, 2004, 05:51:35 PM »

OK - I'm gonna take a computer break for a while.. all the work on the charts today as well as reading and posting here... I need to give my wrists and fingers some down time...

Oh, and do you think eating a whole bag of Brach's Bridge Mix would make one feel logey? ;)

Be back later...

Oh, DR WEL, as far as biographies go, I'd like to come across one of Emil Gilels, one of the late, great Russian pianists.  I have many of his recordings, and my teacher used to speak of his amazing live concerts.  I've just always been intrigued by the fact that his fingers used to bleed sometimes while playing the piano - at least that's what I've heard.

I'd also like to see some sort of official compendium of all the talented musicians and composers who would -and still do - ghost-write for the biggies.  The whole process and "mystery" intrigues me.  Of course, just from the nature of the inquiry, such a tome would probably never appear.  I have some composer friends in Hollywood now who have done quite a bit of composing... unfortunately, when the royalty checks come in, they don't get any of them.  But they were paid quite handsomely up front.

And has there been a book on Vera Allen?
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #259 on: January 07, 2004, 05:53:00 PM »

Danise,  I am also a big Flynn fan.  I do believe there is now something at least marking his grave.  At least it was there the last time I visited his grave in Forest Lawn years ago.  Seems to me it was just a flat stone with name and dates on it.

I've had a four-hour note session on the phone.  I will be addressing notes that should be finished by Monday.

Ta, for now!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #260 on: January 07, 2004, 05:53:04 PM »

Oh, and god knows, Ann Miller's wigs would have quite the stories to tell!  It's just too bad the nicknames she gives them aren't really suitable for a family website.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #261 on: January 07, 2004, 05:53:54 PM »

Danise, I hope you saw my answer to your question on the tech board - the order of the books is Benjamin Kritzer and then Kritzerland.  To read them backwards would work about as well as Merrily We Roll Along.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #262 on: January 07, 2004, 05:56:40 PM »

George: I'm really shameful when it comes to my own stuff - I have sort of lead sheets on everything, but it's all hidden away in storage.  I should have all that properly done at some point.  I have pretty much anything that's been recorded of mine, including some amateur productions of Stages (those are actually videos).

Emily

« Reply #263 on: January 07, 2004, 06:01:36 PM »

I'm here... I'm here... I'm here!!!

Work this morning was pure unadulterated HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLL!!! (the link will explain why)

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040107.wgun0107a/BNStory/National/

Let's just say I spent the entire morning trying desperately to put together a press release in English while my boss worked on the French equivalent all while fielding phone call after phone call after phone call from reporters asking for interviews.

The big kahuna in Toronto (aka Madame E-mail) was on four different tv interview shows today.  That's a lot!!! :)

On top of five hours of wrangling with real work (I managed to escape to go to school - unlike my fellow coworkers who phoned me at home as recently as twenty minutes ago asking for the whereabouts of some contact info) I then got to spend an afternoon listening to Baltimore accents of different classes (Sociolinguistics) and the story of Moses and the Exodus (Death and Dying).  

I am now exhausted and am seriously considering just saying to heck with my pride and going to bed at 9pm.

In other news, I had the Western European Politics class with the supposed chile pepper worthy prof (according to ratemyprofessor.com at least!)  He definitely was better looking than... oh I don't know... the 80 year old man who taught my course on the Arab Israeli Conflict... but overall was quite average. But something was bothering me him that I couldn't quite put my finger on.  Then I realised it.  The chile-pepper prof looks like a Christopher Fitzgerald clone.  It's ridiculous really.  Boq is teaching me Western European Politics.  ;)

DR Ben: Congrats on your God-dom... you win this round :D

DR Jennifer: I was very bad today and had a hot dog at the hotdoggerie across the street from my office instead of my 6''-veggie-no cheese-honey and oat bread-all dressed except for olives-honey mustard sauce concoction from Subway.  The wraps look a little gross to me (I'm not a huge bacon fan).  Oh well... Subway had to go the way of the Atkins eventually I guess - everyone else has! ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 06:03:34 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #264 on: January 07, 2004, 06:02:42 PM »

-And the table will most likely find it's way to my new apartment in a couple of weeks. :)
Old tables never die, they just move away...

Re: the Good Eats DVDs, they each contain three 30 minute episodes, with a Q&A for each.  They're a little cheaper if you get them in "volumes," with three discs per disc (nine eps total).  Also, he says (somewhere) that his normal attire is jeans and t-shirt; the bowling and Hawaiian shirts are show wear.  (And, for the "volume three" discs, he's sporting a goatee!  He's almost woofy!)

Gotta go, shows on!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #265 on: January 07, 2004, 06:16:08 PM »

I'm home, after doing two triple lutzes as I exited the office.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #266 on: January 07, 2004, 06:19:46 PM »

On January 17th the calendar lists Noel's birthday. It also says "Opening night of my new play" Silly question but I'll ask anyway. Are we to assume that the new play opening on January 17th is also Noel's. A birthday and opening night on the same day. Quite a series of events.

I've no idea what "opening night of my new play" refers to.  Not me, sadly.  I'll just be older.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #267 on: January 07, 2004, 06:22:13 PM »

I just attempted a Triple Lutz.

My husband told me to stop acting like a yutz.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Robin

« Reply #268 on: January 07, 2004, 06:30:09 PM »

Criswell predicts that this will become one of the most visited sights on the 'net.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Ben

« Reply #269 on: January 07, 2004, 06:34:16 PM »

One last post before bed. I have to be in early to record my Radio Wales theatre reviews so I'm checking out for the night.

Play nice everybody.

G'night.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Up