Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: A BAD ACID FLASHBACK OR A DEAD HERRING IN THE MOONLIGHT  (Read 30932 times)

Tomovoz

Re:A BAD ACID FLASHBACK OR A DEAD HERRING IN THE MOONLIGHT
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2006, 12:57:26 PM »

Thank you FJL for the Hunchback info. Hunchback's background artwork is a wonderful  - as is the score.

I too am a fan of "The Bakers Wife" - the score!
I really don't see any way of helping the show as it is difficult to be involved with people for whom you do not care. Perhaps the focus should have been with Village and not for the trio!  I also like the score of "Rags" but the book just does not get there!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2006, 01:06:56 PM »

Oh I responded to Ron  before I saw Mikes' note... I am sorry for your frozen fingers poor Mike, I don't know how you managed so long...its been between  2  and 3 weeks now isn't it?  I was miserable when I lost heat for 18 hours!

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2006, 01:07:27 PM »

I thought they would install everything and just not turn the gas on at the main until the inspector gave the "all clear".  If they won't put in the thermostat  until after the inspection poor Mike won't have heat until spring!  :(

As Mike explained, it's the installtation of the gas meter that is being held up, pending an inspection.  As for the thermostat...who can say?

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2006, 01:07:36 PM »

DR Jason - Congratulations on being selected to represent your company at a professional event - and in Orlando.  Even better!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2006, 01:08:49 PM »

I love the Long Long Trailer!!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2006, 01:09:14 PM »

And here's the Grammy win that thrills me most:

Classical Album: ''Bolcom: Songs of Innocence and of Experience,'' Leonard Slatkin, conductor (Christine Brewer and Joan Morris, University of Michigan School of Music Symphony Orchestra).

GO BLUE!!!

Go, Joan & Bill!!!!  I should call them.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2006, 01:09:32 PM »

As Mike explained, it's the installtation of the gas meter that is being held up, pending an inspection.  :D

Poor Mikey  :(

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2006, 01:09:41 PM »

Back from lunch...had sauteed chicken with green beans, broccoli, mushrooms and zucchini in a tomato sauce with a side of "special rice."

It was very tasty.  

The best part of this was that there were four of us and we learned, at the end of the meal, that someone had paid for our lunch!!!

Turns out it was the County's assistant Public Defender who had seen us sit down...one of my companions had visited her table briefly upon entering.  We were all very pleasantly surprised.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

vixmom

« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2006, 01:11:36 PM »

How does one become a voting member in the Grammys?

Is anybody here one?
 bk? elmore? FJL?  (or his everlovin' Skip?)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2006, 01:11:49 PM »

Re CRUMBS, I haven't read why ABC made this switch to GREY'S ANATOMY tonight, but it was not the original intention. In this week's TV GUIDE, CRUMBS is listed as the 9:30 show for tonight.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2006, 01:12:12 PM »

Vixmom, I believe it has been a month now without heat.

vixmom

« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2006, 01:13:12 PM »

Back from lunch...had sauteed chicken with green beans, broccoli, mushrooms and zucchini in a tomato sauce with a side of "special rice."

It was very tasty.  

The best part of this was that there were four of us and we learned, at the end of the meal, that someone had paid for our lunch!!!

Turns out it was the County's assistant Public Defender who had seen us sit down...one of my companions had visited her table briefly upon entering.  We were all very pleasantly surprised.

That is a nice suprise!!  

vixmom

« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2006, 01:14:56 PM »

Vixmom, I believe it has been a month now without heat.

Your house must be as cold as elmore's fire escape!!!

You are a patient man, Mike.

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2006, 01:15:18 PM »

So what will be on between NCIS at 8pm and TAR at 10 pm in the regular slot?

A new crime drama called THE UNIT produced by Shaun Ryan, producer of FX's THE SHIELD.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2006, 01:18:03 PM »

Dammt--everytime I've tried to post today, someone comes into my office for one reason or another and interrupts my train of thought.  Of course, it don't take much to derail my particular train, but today there was one bobby pin on the Lionel track too many.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2006, 01:19:17 PM »

I know you're a friend of the orchestrator so I'm not surprised you were rooting for it. I simply found the scores for PIAZZA, SCOUNDRELS, and SPELLING BEE more interesting and their albums more to my liking.

It has nothing to do with my being a friend of Larry's; I think it's a wonderful recording entirely capturing the mood of the show, which I loved.   I cannot speak for the Finn piece, but the other two recordings were well-produced and played, and your comment made me wonder what set it lower than the others.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2006, 01:21:15 PM »

Elmore, this is rather eerie, but yesterday as I was getting ready for work, TPunk called to tell me she had been waiting for her bus for a half hour and it hadn't come yet! It was the second time in a week that this had happened. The bus drivers blame the traffic. Unless she has shared this with you, it seems  you've subconciously picked up on her bus troubles.

Call me Claire Voyant!

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2006, 01:23:48 PM »

About time - good news Jason. Theatre Queens rule.

I've just seen "Narnia"  I am now well versed in queens and closets. And at last - a lion King I cared about.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2006, 01:24:44 PM »

Didn't Cleo Laine sing "I Remember" on her SOndheim album? I have that CD here someplace, but I haven't listened to it in YEARS. Makes me want to seek it out now.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2006, 01:26:51 PM »

On the subject of who votes for specific Grammy categories:  Seems that anyone who votes can vote for the four major categories, but they're only allowed to vote in eight of the other 31 "fields."  So they have to pick and choose which fields they want to vote in beyond the top four categories, I guess.  So does that mean that someone who votes in the Show Album category has to REALLY want to vote in that category, since they're allowed only eight out of 31 fields to vote in?  

From the Grammy website:

Submission
Recording Academy members and record companies enter recordings and music videos released during the eligibility year which they consider worthy of recognition in the GRAMMY Awards process.

Screening
Reviewing sessions by more than 150 experts in various fields are held to ensure that entered recordings meet specific qualifications and have been placed in appropriate fields such as Rock, R&B, Jazz, Country, Gospel, New Age, Rap, Classical and Latin, among others. The purpose of screenings is not to make artistic or technical judgments about the recordings, but rather to make sure that each entry is eligible and placed in its proper category.

Nominating
First-round ballots with lists of eligible recordings in all fields, except those voted on by special nominating committees, are sent to voting members who return their ballots to the independent accounting firm of Deloitte for tabulation. To help ensure the quality of the voting, members are directed to vote only in their fields of expertise; they may nominate in the four general categories (Record Of The Year, Album Of The Year, Song Of The Year and Best New Artist) and in no more than nine out of 31 fields on their ballots.

Special Nominating
Committees In craft and other specialized categories, final nominations are determined by national nomination review committees comprised of voting members from all of The Academy's Chapter cities.

Final Voting
Lists of the finalists are sent to voting members with their second round ballots. The finalists determined by the special nominating committees are also included on these lists. In this final round, Recording Academy members may vote in the four general categories and in no more than eight of the 31 fields. Ballots again are tabulated in secrecy by the independent accounting firm, Deloitte.

Results
Results of members' voting are not known until the GRAMMY Awards presentation ceremony when names of the winners are delivered by Deloitte in sealed envelopes. GRAMMY Award winners are revealed during the GRAMMY Awards telecast.

And Mariah Carey still won THREE!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2006, 01:27:35 PM »

JRand55, you will be pleased to know that THE LONG, LONG TRAILER releases on DVD on May 9th, along with some other Lucille Ball films.

This comes under the heading: It's About Time!!  ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2006, 01:28:07 PM »

It has nothing to do with my being a friend of Larry's; I think it's a wonderful recording entirely capturing the mood of the show, which I loved.   I cannot speak for the Finn piece, but the other two recordings were well-produced and played, and your comment made me wonder what set it lower than the others.

I loved the show, too, and I enjoyed the recording very much as a souvenir of a riotous night in the theater. I simply thought the three other scores were more musically interesting, purely a personal choice. I have not heard the HAIR recording that was nominated.

vixmom

« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2006, 01:28:11 PM »

Dammt--everytime I've tried to post today, someone comes into my office for one reason or another and interrupts my train of thought.  Of course, it don't take much to derail my particular train, but today there was one bobby pin on the Lionel track too many.

;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2006, 01:29:16 PM »

A new crime drama called THE UNIT produced by Shaun Ryan, producer of FX's THE SHIELD.

Thanks, DRMATTH...for the news IF not the content!  LOL  :P

DR GINNY thanks so much for the TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD information that arrived today!  Very interesting!  ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2006, 01:29:37 PM »

BONES had an off night with a very easy to spot murderer.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2006, 01:29:47 PM »

Well if doesn't work, we all know which of the three you'll blame!

;D ;D ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2006, 01:30:56 PM »

VERONICA MARS had another nifty case with quite a sly surprise.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2006, 01:31:21 PM »

Two more men just drove up in a large blue truck.

I think that this new furnace must be quite heavy as they have called in the troops!

Maybe they've all come to warm you up?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2006, 01:32:24 PM »

George -  You know, as far as BAKER'S WIFE is concerned, all I've wished is for them to have the rewrites then that they themselves eventually did.  Of course, their accepting what I say would be contingent upon them really believing that I came from the future, and that I'm doing nothing more than telling them how they themselves ultimately "solved" their own dramaturgical problems.  I wouldn't have the chutzpah for anything beyond that.   (I might say the same thing about RAGS, but IMHO RAGS was never completely solved - at least not so far!!!)

I don't think they'll ever fix RAGS!

Matt H.

« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2006, 01:32:45 PM »

Kathleen Turner guest starred on LAW & ORDER as the defense attorney at odds with Sam Waterston's Jack McCoy. A nice reunion for them after appearing in the movie SERIAL MOM together.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up