Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: A BAD ACID FLASHBACK OR A DEAD HERRING IN THE MOONLIGHT  (Read 29841 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A BAD ACID FLASHBACK OR A DEAD HERRING IN THE MOONLIGHT
« on: February 09, 2006, 12:06:13 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were like a bad acid flashback or a dead herring in the moonlight, not necessarily in that order, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently having a bad trip, man - it's quite psychadelic.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 12:06:30 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:A BAD ACID FLASHBACK OR A DEAD HERRING IN THE MOONLIGHT
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 12:12:03 AM »

And the word of the day is: TELEOLOGY!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 04:08:02 AM »

I don't believe it. I'm the first post? At this hour?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 04:54:57 AM »

Good morning, all!  The tax work is basically finished and all I have to do now is remain calm until the appointment at 11:00 am.  It will be grisly.  

After that, a few jolly hours at the NYPL Theatre Collection, some work for Noah Racey, who's currently choreographing SHENANDOAH in DC, and hopefully a quiet evening.  I need to confirm a date with Karen Ziemba around noon on Saturday, and my day is set.

TOD:  1903, June 17, Chicago.  After reading SISTER CARRIE, I'd like to see Chicago in that period and attend the opening night of BABES IN TOYLAND.  My only chance to hear a now-lost set of lyrics is at the first performance, before the song was Lost in Chicago (an idea for a recording?).
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 05:14:36 AM »

All alone at 8:15am.

Perhaps I would go back to either Detroit, Michigan (where I was born) or Coon Rapids, Minnesota  (where I grew up) on February 2nd 1953. That way I could see, as an adult, what both places looked like on the day I was born.

Jennifer

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 05:20:47 AM »

Good vibes to DR TPunk and her group.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 05:21:56 AM »

DR Jane, RE: MEDIUM, i went back at the time and rewatched. To me the middle child looked very similar but was not the same, and the little one was the same. But it was too hard to tell re: the little one since we don't see her that much and since we only saw her here for a second.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 05:24:55 AM »

Speaking of DR TPunk, she was in last night's peculiar dream:  we were waiting for the bus somewhere between Manhattan and my hometown, she finally got angry about the wait and started walking and fell into a ditch!  I am not making this up.  Then we ended up waiting for the bus on Central Avenue in Middletown, Ohio, across from the First Presbyterian Church, not too far from where our DR Ginny currently lives.  I doubt that DR Ginny and Richard lived in that area at the time this dream took place, or we could walked there and had DR Ginny drive us around.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 05:27:10 AM »

DR MattH, so will they not show LOVE MONKEY at all? I hate that the networks do this when they get something good.

But I HATE the idea of having TAR at 10pm.  9pm was a good thing and perfect!  How can they even think of putting it on at 10pm?  Where did you read this since I have not seen it anywhere?

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 05:30:41 AM »

Also re: last night's American Idol, I agree with DR MattH.  They skipped so much going from person to person it was hard to follow who was going through to the next round. They only focused on so few contestants. I have no idea who has made it.  There were a few who I knew the judges liked from the auditions. Well they showed these ones going through (we knew they would). But skipped out on so many others.

Am I the only one who would rather watch a complete show of the Hollywood auditions? I'm surprised they don't do this.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2006, 05:42:07 AM »

Der B and I got back very late from our DC jaunt, and now I've got to get ready for work...already.  But we had a good time, talked with some old friends we hadn't seen for quite a while...

DR Jose: we avoided all that traffic in DC by parking way outside the city, where one of the subway spurs ends, and taking the subway into town.  From the Dupont Circle station, it was a short walk to the reception...would be Dupont Circle, of course.   ;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2006, 06:24:21 AM »

Good morning!!

~~~~~VIBES~~~~~ for TPunk!

Not that I think you'll need them, I am sure the boys will all fall in love with you immedaitely and want to do your bidding!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2006, 06:32:56 AM »

Right now I am so tired and sick of working that all I want to do is go back in time with the numbers for a really big mega millions win and buy myself the only winning ticket....

I'll try to think of a more worthy answer after a short nap...

dang ! It appears they have a rule against napping at your desk.

How unreasonable.

Coffee time... double caffienated with extra sugar please......................

Ben

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 06:45:47 AM »

Right now I am so tired and sick of working that all I want to do is go back in time with the numbers for a really big mega millions win and buy myself the only winning ticket....

Actually, I think I'll play the game that gives you $10,000 a week for the rest of your life. Of course you can't pass that on to your heirs but if you live long enough you can build up a pile of money to pass on  ;D

dang ! It appears they have a rule against napping at your desk.

How unreasonable.

And also unseemly

MBarnum

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 06:47:53 AM »

Sad to report that yesteryear Bollywood actress Nadira passed away yesterday in Bombay, India.

This news flash will likely only be of interest to JRand55 as Nadira co-starred in his favorite Hindu flick PAKEEZAH as Madame Gauhar Jaan.

Other films include AAN (1952), SHREE 420 (1955), and DIL APNA AUR PREET PARAI (1960).

vixmom

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2006, 07:07:26 AM »

Actually, I think I'll play the game that gives you $10,000 a week for the rest of your life. Of course you can't pass that on to your heirs but if you live long enough you can build up a pile of money to pass on  ;

Yes Vixdad and I have had dreams of winning that one since we've seen the commercials... of course our chances of winning might be a tad better if we actually tried purchasing a ticket

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2006, 07:08:45 AM »

DR MattH, so will they not show LOVE MONKEY at all? I hate that the networks do this when they get something good.

But I HATE the idea of having TAR at 10pm.  9pm was a good thing and perfect!  How can they even think of putting it on at 10pm?  Where did you read this since I have not seen it anywhere?

I read this in yesterday's VARIETY. According to the CBS spokesman, THE AMAZING RACE does well whenever CBS runs it at 10 p.m. and it IS smart counterprogramming to the drama of SVU and the dramedy of BOSTON LEGAL.

LOVE MONKEY has not performed any better than CLOSER TO HOME did in the slot, and CBS is all about winning time slots or at least coming in a strong second (as CRIMINAL MINDS does against LOST). LOVE MONKEY hasn't delivered.

Though the article did not say LOVE MONKEY had been canceled, the fact that it appears nowhere on CBS' midseason schedule after February 21st is pretty much writing on the wall.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2006, 07:10:02 AM »

Good morning!

Another cold but beautiful morning. Exactly right for this time in February.

I'm still feeling kind of blah this morning. A good lunch with friends in a couple of hours should aid things considerably.

vixmom

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2006, 07:10:44 AM »

I had the weiredest dreams last nigt, I dreamed that the wind was blowing so hard that our rear stockade fence was destroyed, not just blown down but lying in splinters all over the lawn and that the Vixters   wooden playfort had been lifted into the neighbors yard wher it stood intact but completely filled with blown in debris

and my back aches and I feel utterly exhausted and I don't know why....

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2006, 07:11:03 AM »

I agree with you, DR Jennifer. I'd LOVE to see the real singers doing their auditions against their fellow talented people in the groups. These highlights shows are very frustrating.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 07:13:58 AM »

One more comment about the IDOL highlights shows.

Last year, Sarah Mather of Charlotte made it to the semifinals but was the first girl eliminated despite having a very pleasing voice (more pleasing than, say, Mikailah Gordon). She argued that she hadn't been featured at all in the audition shows and thus had no fan base building for her prior to the semifinal public voting stage. I agreed with her. Some of these folks have been seen on the initial shows and also in the Hollywood round while others seem to get lost in the suffle and we only see and hear them for the first time in the semifinals. Seems like pretty unfair advantage for some of the singers.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2006, 07:16:48 AM »

I see that Monty Python's SPAMALOT won the Best Cast Recording Grammy. I called it right when the nominations were first announced. No surprise there despite the fact that ALL of the other nominees were more deserving of the award.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2006, 07:19:01 AM »

And not a good sign for CRUMBS being taken off tonight for a GREY'S ANATOMY repeat (of last Sunday's show). I'm thinking its days are also numbered.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2006, 07:30:28 AM »

I see that Monty Python's SPAMALOT won the Best Cast Recording Grammy. I called it right when the nominations were first announced. No surprise there despite the fact that ALL of the other nominees were more deserving of the award.

And they were all more deserving than SPAMALOT because of what?

FJL

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2006, 07:32:13 AM »

TOD:  I guess there are so many earth-shattering changes one could make going back in the time machine, but still:

I'm not sure why I care about BAKER'S WIFE so much, but I'd like to go back to the tryout of BAKER'S WIFE and tell the creators about all the changes they made in later years that made the show better, in the hopes that they implement them in the original incarnation.  Does that sound too frivolous or inconsequential?  Maybe, but I'm convinced that if BAKER'S WIFE had succeeded in its original time, it would have had a nice impact on the procession of musical theater "history" that followed it; just a feeling, nothing to back it up.

Alternatively, if we can visit ourselves at a young age, I'd like to go back to the restless and relatively discontent me of my mid-to-late-twenties (circa 1985-1989) and say don't worry about it, you're going to be very content with life by middle age (even if you're going to have some physical middle-age aches and pains from time to time :)  )

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2006, 07:35:35 AM »

And here's the Grammy win that thrills me most:

Classical Album: ''Bolcom: Songs of Innocence and of Experience,'' Leonard Slatkin, conductor (Christine Brewer and Joan Morris, University of Michigan School of Music Symphony Orchestra).

GO BLUE!!!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2006, 07:37:24 AM »

And they were all more deserving than SPAMALOT because of what?

I know you're a friend of the orchestrator so I'm not surprised you were rooting for it. I simply found the scores for PIAZZA, SCOUNDRELS, and SPELLING BEE more interesting and their albums more to my liking.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2006, 07:39:42 AM »

Elmore, this is rather eerie, but yesterday as I was getting ready for work, TPunk called to tell me she had been waiting for her bus for a half hour and it hadn't come yet! It was the second time in a week that this had happened. The bus drivers blame the traffic. Unless she has shared this with you, it seems  you've subconciously picked up on her bus troubles.

Ginny

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2006, 07:40:05 AM »

Thursday greetings!  Oh, I've missed spending time here the past couple of days.  Work has been grueling, and I've been stuck (as I am right now) too often at the hand-out-computer-printouts-and-collect-dimes-and-quarters-desk.  This is why I spent five years of my life and thousands of my parents' dollars earning 2 degrees at a Big 10 university?  End of rant.

Vibes for DR TPunk - I hope you don't have to be alone with that group.

Moving vibes for DR Cillaliz!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2006, 07:43:13 AM »

...Then we ended up waiting for the bus on Central Avenue in Middletown, Ohio, across from the First Presbyterian Church, not too far from where our DR Ginny currently lives.  I doubt that DR Ginny and Richard lived in that area at the time this dream took place, or we could walked there and had DR Ginny drive us around.

Of course, I'd hop right into my zippy Pontiac Vibe and pick up DRs Elmore and TPunk and any other Hainsies or Kimlets who find themselves stranded in Middletown, Ohio.  Actually, since I work full time in Dayton and DH Richard is retired and home 'way more than I am, it would probably be he who would do the driving around in his Buick Century.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up