Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LOOKING AT THE WORLD THROUGH ROSE-COLORED GLASSES  (Read 22666 times)

Jennifer

Re:LOOKING AT THE WORLD THROUGH ROSE-COLORED GLASSES
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2006, 12:57:46 PM »

DR Maria, what was the name of the movie. Maybe I saw you get your award!

MBarnum

« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2006, 12:57:52 PM »

I so wish that I could leave work now and go home and take a nap....that would be so nice!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2006, 12:58:26 PM »

Experienced??  Do tell!

Picture it, The Plymouth Theater, 2003 press night, intermission at Taboo (a Golden Girls reference) Rosie O'Donnell is walking down the aisle back to her seat and the theater starts to applaud. Rosie stops, takes in applause and addresses the crowd: Twenty-four performances, twenty-four standing ovations! (I may be off on the number) (more applause)  To all the critics who are here tonight, we love you! To all the critics outside, F--- you! (hand gesture)

Jennifer

« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2006, 01:00:00 PM »

And RE: Rosie on the View.

I used to watch Rosie's show before. But I think she acted much differently before she came out.

I have seen her on the View a couple of times. And I don't think she has good chemistry with them.  Plus I had no idea that her and Star Jones did not like each other.

I just don't get why they would hire someone without making sure the chemistry was right.  I mean i get that rosie is popular and they are doing it for the ratings. But i do not think people will like the new group. Unless rosie acts more like she used to (not so forceful).

Also i read that star's contract is up in september (when rosie would start). And because she does not like rosie she may be leaving!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2006, 01:02:15 PM »

So TPunk, does this mean that you are almost graduated from Grad school? That is wonderful!!

It does! My academic requirements are complete and my internship supervisor has submitted my final review.  So all I have to do now is show up to my internship for the next week, and then show up next month to collect my diploma.

Ginny

« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2006, 01:04:31 PM »

It does! My academic requirements are complete and my internship supervisor has submitted my final review.  So all I have to do now is show up to my internship for the next week, and then show up next month to collect my diploma.

And then show up on this here site to post photos of you in your cap & gown and accept all of our congratulatory vibes!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2006, 01:09:42 PM »

DR Maria, what was the name of the movie. Maybe I saw you get your award!

My Louisiana Sky. And it wasn't really "my" award. It was the film's award. (I lost in the writing category at awards held the night before.)  But the producer, who is a very nice man (rare for the breed) wanted us  - he, the stars and the writer - to go up as a group.

Congrats, TPunk!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2006, 01:14:04 PM »

Looky-here!

AOL spotlights MattH's hometown Bistro

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2006, 01:17:28 PM »

Although last week she learned to clap but would only do so in private!

My eldest son used to practice walking in his play-pen out in the back yard (he didn't know we could watch from the window). The first time he ever took a public step he walked clear across the living room from his Mom to me.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2006, 01:20:25 PM »

...I am completely finished with graduate school.

Congrats! And now you can wait tables unsupervised 8)

der Brucer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2006, 01:22:35 PM »

MEdia CHEck

iPod:  JULIE AND CAROL AT CARNEGIE HALL (I'm guessing that this would be much more fun to watch instead of just listening to)

Had the album on LP for many years and was so delighted when I found a copy of the CD. It's always been a favorite.

I watched the show at the Museum of TV and Radio several years ago, and it holds up beautifully Lots of fun, and both ladies are magnificent.

The album brings back many fond memories of that broadcast as it was meant to do. Maybe one day someone will get the brains to release it as a DVD (perhaps paired with their other two specials).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2006, 01:27:38 PM »

ENjoyed your story, DR Maria, about the Daytime Emmys. (They're in Hollywood this year at the Kodak Theater).

I will probably have it on as I bound around the house doing odd jobs (no, not from GOLDFINGER), etc. There is really nothing else on that I'm interested in watching anyway.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 01:30:27 PM by Matt H. »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2006, 01:28:02 PM »

I just don't get why they would hire someone without making sure the chemistry was right.

Think "American Idol"!

der Brucer

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2006, 01:32:33 PM »

And then show up on this here site to post photos of you in your cap & gown and accept all of our congratulatory vibes!

Which reminds me that I wasn't back on HHW yet when DD graduated -- summa cum laude! -- from the U. of San Francisco in December.
Better late than never... (No congrats, please. I just want to share the pic.)

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2006, 01:34:35 PM »

I finshed watching GUYS & DOLLS and am happy to report the transfer was rock solid all the way through. The widescreen laserdisc and the last nonanamorphic release was a nightmare with artifacts and aliasing. This new transfer had none of that.

The Gambler's Ballet, with lots of parallel line designs in the pipes, was always a chore to watch, but it isn't now at all.

I also watched the documentary (actually two featurettes that can be played as one feature) on the show and its transition from stage to screen. Good interviews, and I especially liked seeing what some folks looked like I had been reading for years (A. Scott Berg, for example). The edition comes with an enclosed "scrapbook" which I haven't looked at yet).

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2006, 01:39:50 PM »

Next, I put in ZIEGFELD FOLLIES and watched the documentary on its making. SInce the feature is SO long and not every item was of interest, I scanned through to some of my favorite segments. I'll go back and watch the entire thing at some point over the weekend.

I have to say that the clips they used in the documentary were grainy and faded and bland looking, and my heart sank a little on seeing them. What a relief that the feature itself is beautifully sharp and rich in Technicolor. The reds, yellows, blues, and purples of "This Heart of Mine" are absolutely awe inspiring. I am so pleased that the Technicolor restoration used on the laserdisc seems to have been carried over to this DVD in addition to its being sharper. The sound continues to lack bass, sad to say, but I guess they're limited by the recording techniques of the day.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2006, 01:39:50 PM »

(I lost in the writing category at awards held the night before.)  

But you DID win the Humanitas Prize and the Writers' Guild of America award!

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2006, 01:43:05 PM »

Then, I watched last night's SUPERNATURAL. Violent, of course, and had some chilling moments. It was a two part episode which concludes next week (which also serves as the season finale).

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2006, 02:11:26 PM »

Picture it, The Plymouth Theater, 2003 press night, intermission at Taboo (a Golden Girls reference) Rosie O'Donnell is walking down the aisle back to her seat and the theater starts to applaud. Rosie stops, takes in applause and addresses the crowd: Twenty-four performances, twenty-four standing ovations! (I may be off on the number) (more applause)  To all the critics who are here tonight, we love you! To all the critics outside, F--- you! (hand gesture)

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2006, 02:14:40 PM »

But Congratulations on the new degree, TPunk!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2006, 02:58:08 PM »

Re: the daytime emmysI love Young and The Restless. So I watch to see what they win!

DR Jennifer, if you are game we can watch and chat?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2006, 03:02:57 PM »

Apparently Rosie O'Donnell is going to replace Meredith Vieira on THE VIEW.  I don't think it's 100% confirmed. But I just read they will announce it tonight at the Daytime Emmys!

that will be an interesting mixture of personalities
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2006, 03:08:40 PM »

Congratulations TPunk on your accomplishment... It has been a long slog and be proud of it!!

Congrats!!

Jennifer

« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2006, 03:13:17 PM »

DR DakotaCelt, I will be watching the first hour and a half at my sister's house.  And I will watch the rest at home (but no computer upstairs by the tv!) :(

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2006, 03:17:48 PM »

DB - I may hire you as my publicist!

I forgot to acknowledge earlier that the great Jane Jacobs died this week. She fundamentally changed the way we look at cities -- for the better. I used to see her striding around Toronto in her sensible shoes. Even if you didn't know who she was, you knew that you were in the presence of a formidable human being. The April 26 issue of the NY Times has a wonderful obit/appreciation. I don't have a link - sorry - but it's easy to find if you're interested.

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2006, 03:26:25 PM »

Have the kitchen floor to mop now, so I'm heading down to do that, and then to watch DVDs and the Daytime Emmy telecast.

WBBL.

Tomovoz

« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2006, 03:30:35 PM »

DR TCB - Where and how are the kids?

Where also is Michael Shayne?

Congratulations TPunk - Take a Break!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Cillaliz

« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2006, 03:51:39 PM »

Congrats TPunk!!! That's great

George

« Reply #148 on: April 28, 2006, 04:22:37 PM »

And speaking of "Capote" and "To Kill a Mockingbird" (okay, no one was, but it has been talked about), today is Harper Lee's 70th birthday!

Happy Birthday Harper Lee!

;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #149 on: April 28, 2006, 04:37:41 PM »

Duck Zhivago
Duck Who
Duck No
Duck Doolittle
The Island of Duck Moreau
The Abominable Duck Phibes
Duck Phil
Doctor Strangelove, or how I learned how to stop worrying and duck the bomb.
Doctor Quinn, Duck Woman

OK, OK, sometimes it gets a little boring running a cash register...

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up