Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LOOKING AT THE WORLD THROUGH ROSE-COLORED GLASSES  (Read 22508 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:LOOKING AT THE WORLD THROUGH ROSE-COLORED GLASSES
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2006, 05:22:01 PM »

Maria, lovely picture of DD...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2006, 05:27:06 PM »

page 6 dance
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #152 on: April 28, 2006, 05:27:47 PM »

Gina Tognoni just won best supporting... I was really pulling for Renee Goldsberry.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2006, 06:09:59 PM »

I think my favorite today has been DR TOMovOZ's:

55 Ducks at Peking....because it works on so many levels.

MR BK returned from jogging....left again....started to read a play, and was NOT heard from again!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2006, 06:11:48 PM »

Great posts and pictures today!

MR BK - my friend Adam Long is coming to LA for a few days the week of May 23.  He is a percussionist/guitarist/composer - he might make a lively lunch time companion for a dull day.  Let me know if you have time for a lunch 23-28.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2006, 06:19:28 PM »

I always have time for lunch.  So, here's been the day: I got caught up reading my play and making little fixes and smoothing out dialogue and even adding a page overall - but the really interesting news is how much I enjoyed reading it.  It made me laugh, I was touched by a couple of moments and it moved right along.  I'll still futz with it over the weekend and I still have two spots to look at in terms of dialogue fixes, but overall I was very pleased to be very pleased.

Then dear reader PennyO came over, as did three actors, and we had a reading of her newest four-hander version of Jewish Thighs.  It was really fun to hear it out loud and the actors all did very well, including our very own PennyO.  I made notes throughout, and after the reading two of the actors left, and PennyO and her friend Jolie (who plays PennyO as a young'un) stayed and we went over every page of the script, and out of that conversation came very interesting things and I think and hope PennyO was happy about all of it.  I'll let her fill in the blanks.  I must now get ready to sup with our very own Miss Tammy Minoff - our celebratory dinner for the finishing of my play.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2006, 06:24:19 PM »

Glad you had a productive day...

I am back to cleaning the computer desk and filing some stuff...

STill trying to figure out what the heck this one gal was wearing at the daytime emmys....

Waiting for Ron Raines category tocome up...

Tomovoz

« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2006, 06:45:02 PM »

I think my favorite today has been DR TOMovOZ's:

55 Ducks at Peking....because it works on so many levels.

Thank you DR JRand.
In honour of DR Jose - my work has not been in vein.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2006, 07:00:56 PM »

Kathie Brier (Hairspray), Renee Goldsberry [quickly becoming an actress I really like] (Color Purple) and Claudia [i missed her last name] (Little Shop of Horrors)

A number of NY actors/actresses do soaps in the day and then broadway

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2006, 07:01:30 PM »

When I was in grad school, there was a in the undergraduate program a rather homely young woman who was not only obnoxious and, for attention, rather dumb in a showoff-y way, but a major slut, as she told everyone in confidence about her rather lurid social life. In one of her photos from a production of PICNIC, she looked just like a frog so her critics started referring to her as "frogface," which lead to a ton of new titles:
Froggy in the Dark
110 in the Frog
Stop the Frog I want to Get Off
The Death of a Frogman
Threepenny Frog

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2006, 07:02:51 PM »

Kathie Brier (Hairspray), Renee Goldsberry [quickly becoming an actress I really like] (Color Purple) and Claudia [i missed her last name] (Little Shop of Horrors)

I believe the last was Kelly Butler, sounding much less nasal than she does in her duet with Guy Haines.  Perhaps she finally had her adenoids removed.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2006, 07:21:01 PM »

I believe the last was Kelly Butler, sounding much less nasal than she does in her duet with Guy Haines.  Perhaps she finally had her adenoids removed.

Probably...

I did like Renee's singing. She has a gorgeous voice...

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2006, 07:27:32 PM »

Kerry Butler was in "Little Shop." :)

And I agree...she has always sounded much too nasely.  I wonder if it's not as bad when you see her perform live. :-\
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 07:28:34 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2006, 07:43:25 PM »

Traffic was moidah coming back to the marina. I had such a good time today!!! Bruce was his gracious self, hosting a gaggle of theatah folk - we read through my new version of Jewish Thighs - and it was great fun to hear "my" lines (having played ALL the characters) in the voices of the others.

Afterwards, BK spent two hours going over every line, every scene, every transition with me, making wonderful suggestions, mostly in the category of "If I don't get it, they won't..." and "How you just said it - write THAT!"

I always come away from these sessions so optimisic and with renewed enthusiasm. What a mentor to have. Anyhow, I have a bit of work to do - not much really - before we take the next step with it.

One other great thing today - Jolie - the girl who plays the YOUNG ACTRESS - finally gave me a video of the last time I put the four-actor version together, back in Seattle three years ago. Can't wait to put it on the TeeVee, after I get a bite to eat!!! Oh, boy!!!
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #164 on: April 28, 2006, 07:44:54 PM »

AND - congratulations, TPUNK! You stuck with it - you gave yourself nobody else could ever give you. I'm so happy for you.

And VIXTER!!! Congrats to you for singing so well, and getting the acknowledgement all your study and hard work merits!
PennyO

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #165 on: April 28, 2006, 07:52:27 PM »

SACRISTY!!!!

I cannot believe it... I now believe the daytime emmys are rigged... I can't believe Antony Geary won!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #166 on: April 28, 2006, 07:55:18 PM »

SACRISTY!!!!

I cannot believe it... I now believe the daytime emmys are rigged... I can't believe Antony Geary won!

Now, now, Dakota.  No spoilers allowed.  We on the West Coast have yet to see the show.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: April 28, 2006, 07:57:37 PM »

Spoo!  Spoilers galore!  

ell, my best friend lost again!  I was sure he had it with all the awards GUIDING LIGHT had already won. He'll win yet.

Why is the GREY'S ANATOMY cast putting in an appearance?  
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 07:58:29 PM by elmore3003 »

Cillaliz

« Reply #168 on: April 28, 2006, 07:59:03 PM »

I just returned form a fun Opening at a friends art studio. He is extremely creative and extremely talented. We love to support local artists, so many paintings were sold this evening.  I bought 2 pieces to add to my collection, lol I now have 5 of his works.  But he is doing some totally different things now. So I'm not sure you'd even know that they were done by the same artist.  

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #169 on: April 28, 2006, 08:13:46 PM »

Spoo!  Spoilers galore!  

ell, my best friend lost again!  I was sure he had it with all the awards GUIDING LIGHT had already won. He'll win yet.

Why is the GREY'S ANATOMY cast putting in an appearance?  

I enjoy his work and I was really pulling for him.. We no longer get GL here and I miss watching him. GL really does have some talented male actors in both Raines and Newman!

Interesting tidbit, Jerry verDorn who used to play Ross Marler, graduated from my alma mater, Moorhead State University.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #170 on: April 28, 2006, 08:13:54 PM »

Spent most of the evening with THE DAYTIME EMMY AWARDS. Since I don't really daytime dramas any more, I knew only a few of the faces. Can't say that I was pleased or displeased with any of the winners.

I WAS displeased that the TV Academy still hasn't upgraded its technology. The show was not broadcast in high definition, kind of pathetic that TV doesn't honor its own with the best technology available. (Last year's Prime Time Emmys weren't in HD either.) And ABC has the capability to do so since they also broadcast the Oscars which have been in high def for several years now. Got to be the TV Academy who won't fork over the bucks to pay for the equipment for the show.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #171 on: April 28, 2006, 08:15:01 PM »

and I cannot believe who won Show!!!!
(spoiler)

GH! Grrr.. They had a decent year but it was nto stellar!

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: April 28, 2006, 08:15:28 PM »

Kerry Butler.

Matt H.

« Reply #173 on: April 28, 2006, 08:19:19 PM »

Well, as I said, I don't watch soaps any more, but both the critics for TV GUIDE and ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY who cover daytime drama predicted that the man who won the Emmy for Best Drama Actor would win, so that one wasn't a big surprise. Supposedly, his Emmy tape was in a class by itself this year.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #174 on: April 28, 2006, 08:19:31 PM »

Matt, I work at night so I sometiems watch them. I find them curious so I watch them.

ON the flipside, I am not a fan of reality shows.

Matt H.

« Reply #175 on: April 28, 2006, 08:20:29 PM »

and I cannot believe who won Show!!!!
(spoiler)

GH! Grrr.. They had a decent year but it was nto stellar!

I heard the same comment last year. In both years, folks in the know say that THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS got robbed.

Jennifer

« Reply #176 on: April 28, 2006, 08:22:57 PM »

Re: The Daytime Emmys.

spoilers.

I was disappointed that Y&R was not nominated for more.

I was happy with a few of the winners (Tom phelphrey and gina tognoni from GL are great).

And for DR Elmore, re: ron raines.  He is very good.  But sometimes these things are not about who is best.  I love kim zimmer but beth e. is amazing.  I think everyone had pretty much decided anthony geary was going to win. Not fair (and i'm sure he's good), but who votes for these things anyhow?  It should be the best.  

Matt H.

« Reply #177 on: April 28, 2006, 08:23:15 PM »

Matt, I work at night so I sometiems watch them. I find them curious so I watch them.

ON the flipside, I am not a fan of reality shows.

During my life I have at times been into GUIDING LIGHT, DAYS OF OUR LIVES, GENERAL HOSPITAL, ALL MY CHILDREN, and ONE LIFE TO LIVE (of the ones that are still running). At this moment, I'm really not watching any of them, but I don't say that to look down on them in any way. Lots of great performers have gotten their starts on daytime drama, and the shows themselves have handled topics that nighttime dramas have shied away from.

Matt H.

« Reply #178 on: April 28, 2006, 08:25:18 PM »

I think the Emmys still use blue ribbon panels to vote on the winners. That way, everyone watches the same tapes and votes in preferential order. The points are then added together to get the winners.

At least, this is what someone once told me is how it used to work.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #179 on: April 28, 2006, 08:29:24 PM »

Re: The Daytime Emmys.

spoilers.

I was disappointed that Y&R was not nominated for more.

I was happy with a few of the winners (Tom phelphrey and gina tognoni from GL are great).

And for DR Elmore, re: ron raines.  He is very good.  But sometimes these things are not about who is best.  I love kim zimmer but beth e. is amazing.  I think everyone had pretty much decided anthony geary was going to win. Not fair (and i'm sure he's good), but who votes for these things anyhow?  It should be the best.  

Geary is good but really, give another actor a shot...

YR deserved more recognition.

I do have to give one small nod for Days. Despite the deploreable writing, i do have to give the actors some credit for trying to work with it.  The writing is not there for NBC shows.

What gets me is why they have one guy writing both of them... and both are doing dismally in the ratings.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up