Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE METAPHYSICAL ME  (Read 33817 times)

Ben

Re:THE METAPHYSICAL ME
« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2004, 12:16:18 PM »

Even though it's not Friday, I'll tell you what's in my CD player at work. I'm listening to Little Me (Original w/Sid Caesar). I forgot how much I like this score. Be A Performer still makes me laugh.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2004, 12:17:10 PM »

Cheese Enchilada's

MBarnum

« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2004, 12:21:11 PM »

My mother loved Paul Robeson.  I believe she saw him perform when she lived in South Africa.  I’m very hazy about the location.  I do know, years ago, she smuggled in a recording of his.  I looked for the album when I was cleaning out at my Dad’s but couldn’t find it.   :(

I would loved to have seen Paul Robeson live. He is one of my favorite singers and I have several of his CDs. If you ever want a copy Jane, just holler (and send your address) and it will be yours!

MBarnum

« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2004, 12:22:58 PM »

DRJENNIFER:  Here is MY cheese enchillada recipe.  Get in the car, start the engine, drive to Taco Bell, tell the box you want "The Cheese Enchillada", drive to the second window, pay money, go home...eat.

LOL! That just gave me my giant guffaw of the day!

MBarnum

« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2004, 12:27:01 PM »

Wow, Jane, I think that recipe put us into TohoScope! LOL! And just imagine the bloating if you were to eat one of those!

I am now very hungry, however!

Andrea

« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2004, 12:28:01 PM »

Ah you weren't paying attention yesterday. We have no taco bells in montreal, remember? :)

There are taco bells in Canada. Unfortuantely (or fortunately) Taco Bell didn't pass Quebec Health standards (low as they are) and aren't allowed into the province, so the rumour goes. Anyone still feel like mexican ;)

Thanks to all who translated my bubala question.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2004, 12:28:09 PM »

Panni, Victor Garber, that's indeed who it was!

Jane

« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2004, 12:29:24 PM »

There is a story that goes with the recipe.  Years ago when we still lived in Southern California, and had no need to cook Mexican food, I worked with a gentleman with the last name of Rodriquez.  He said his mother made great enchiladas, very similar to the ones at our favorite restaurant in the Valley.  He stated his mother didn’t have a recipe as she cooked by sight and touch.  One day, determined to get the recipe, his wife watched the making of the enchilada’s and wrote everything down.  The original recipe called for unusual amounts, such as a particular brand of chili powder poured out to the red line or something like that.  I tucked the recipe away until we moved to New Jersey.  At that time there weren’t any Mexican restaurants at all.

MBarnum

« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2004, 12:29:48 PM »

There are taco bells in Canada. Unfortuantely (or fortunately) Taco Bell didn't pass Quebec Health standards (low as they are) and aren't allowed into the province, so the rumour goes. Anyone still feel like mexican ;)

LOL! That is comforting! LOL!

Jane

« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2004, 12:34:04 PM »

I would loved to have seen Paul Robeson live. He is one of my favorite singers and I have several of his CDs. If you ever want a copy Jane, just holler (and send your address) and it will be yours!

Thank you.  Which ones do you have?  I just remembered, I think my mother had a little 45 record of Ol Man River and I can't remember what else.

Jane

« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2004, 12:37:17 PM »

I can email a better copy of the recipe.  I know my eyes don’t enjoy looking at the one I posted.  :-\

Jane

« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2004, 12:39:48 PM »

Wow, Jane, I think that recipe put us into TohoScope! LOL! And just imagine the bloating if you were to eat one of those!

I missed this posting the first time.  I'm sure glad I scrolled back up the page.  I am now ROTFLOL! :)

Jennifer

« Reply #132 on: January 15, 2004, 12:40:49 PM »

For some reason I cannot copy or print Jane's recipe. Can anyone help me?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #133 on: January 15, 2004, 12:42:23 PM »

Maybe your printer isn't big enough?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #134 on: January 15, 2004, 12:46:24 PM »

DR Andrea: How can Taco Bell be above Quebec Health standards? :)

Ben

« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2004, 12:46:37 PM »

Have you put your cursor on the recipe and right clicked your mouse? You can't highlight the words to copy it because it's a jpeg or image, not text, but you should be able to right click on the image and get a menu with the option to "Save Picture As..." It should be recognized as a jpeg so you don't have to do anything but decide where you want to save the picture and then click "Save".  It should then save a copy of the image/recipe in the place where you put it.

Jane

« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2004, 12:47:45 PM »

Jennifer when Keith comes home I will have him fix that and send you a better copy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2004, 01:00:20 PM »

Now, let's get to that post I threatened promised DR MBarnum: Uncle Woody's Reasons for Watching Fiddler On the Roof!  (The movie.)

The Director, Norman Jewison - was in the middle of the best decade of his career.  Consider, before Fiddler he'd helmed The Cincinnati Kid (1965), The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming ('66), In the Heat of the Night ('67), and Gaily, Gaily ('69).  All right, that last flick wasn't so hot, but he followed Fiddler with Jesus Christ, Superstar ('73) and Rollerball ('75).  What a run of films!  What a range of genres, and styles!  The man was in fantastic form, and Fiddler shows every bit of his skill.

The Story -  For something that is specifically rooted to a time, place, and culture, this story ends up having a universal appeal.  It's backdrop may be that of the Jews living in Czarist Russia, but it's really about the effects of change as Tevye deals with his daughters as each breaks from tradition in choosing a husband.  Betcha' didn't know the stage production was a hit in Japan!  Really!

The Storytelling -  Ever notice how a really good joke in a film is one that keeps getting retold, and each time it gets better?  That's what's going on here, but in reverse, because each time the same thing happens, the film becomes more serious, until the third time around there is genuine heartbreak.  Not only that, but as a viewer I felt a great concern for everyone involved.  So often, storytelling lags in the second act, but not here!

Topol as Tevye -  Thoroughly convincing in the role.  And he was only 36 when the film was released!  Personally, I think he deserved the Oscar, and he was nominated, but it was Hackman's year with The French Connection.

The cinematography and editing -  Oswald Morris won the Oscar for the cinematography, and the stories that it was shot through a ladie's stocking are apparently true.  Just as good, to my eyes, was the work by Antony Gibbs and Robert Lawrence in the editing, but they didn't even get nominated.

The Music -  To start with, it's one of the classic Broadway scores, by Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick.  Of course you're already humming along; these songs are part of our lives by now.  But did you know that the Oscar here went to John Williams?  Yep, the same guy that wrote the theme to Lost in Space, and has written a few interesting ditties since.  (The Oscar was for Best Music Scoring Adaptation and Original Song Score, a catagory that has since disappeared.  But it was John's first win!  He'd previously been nominated for The Reivers, Goodbye Mr. Chips and (drumroll please) Valley of the Dolls!)

And now, to be completely fair, there's a really good reason for not wanting to see Fiddler: the thing is too freakin' long!  It runs three hours!  It's like LOTR:TROTK, but with more roles for women and singing and dancing and a whole lot fewer swordfights.  Yeah, sure, it was released back when some films were relased with intermissions, but there are times when the thing just plain drags.  Sure, getting Issac Stern to play a solo on the cat guts was something of a coup, but he just goes on and on and on.  Take advantage of the moment, fix yourself a nice bowl of chicken soup while it plays in the background, you won't miss a thing and you'll feel so much better for it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2004, 01:01:23 PM »

Jane, I can't recall the CD titles off hadn, but most of the songs are from the 1930s and 1940s, including OLD MAN RIVER, which always gives me the goose pimples when I hear hims sing it.

Jennifer

« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2004, 01:02:06 PM »

Thanks DR Ben. I didn't think of right clicking it. That would let me save it to disk. But I really want a printed copy. I will just wait till Keith comes home.  

MBarnum

« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2004, 01:04:29 PM »

Well, SSW, you have convinced me to add Fiddler on the Roof to my list of classic movies that I have yet to see, and will make a point of watching...as you know I love Bollywood films so I have gotten very used to loooooong movies! LOL!

Andrea

« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2004, 01:04:53 PM »

DR Andrea: How can Taco Bell be above Quebec Health standards? :)

huh? They aren't, they are below it...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2004, 01:08:23 PM »

Tommy Kirk = A friend of Dorothy's???
Uh, yeah.  You do get the slang, right?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2004, 01:08:54 PM »

And from Fiddler on the Roof, probably the song most often performed at Jewish weddings, Sunrise, Sunset.  Unbeknownst to me, my father requested the song to be played just before I walked down the isle.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2004, 01:10:15 PM »

Hmmm, being thrown into Cinemascope by an enchilada recipe.  Now THAT redefines cheesy!   ;D ::) 8)

Only one tablespoon of chili powder?  We'll see about that!  (Other than that, it sounds a lot like what my mother used to make.  Yum!)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 01:13:09 PM by S. Woody White »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2004, 01:10:48 PM »

It is easy for us to forget that once upon a time in certain places....and even in other places today....that a production of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF wouldn't even be permitted!  
How true. I have errands to run, but I have to quickly tell you about the production of Fiddler I saw while visiting Hungary some years ago, when it was still under Communist rule. The pogrom scene, with the Russian soldiers brutally breaking up the wedding celebration, was understandably problematic at the time. The solution was to have the soldiers come in, throw a few things around in a kind of playful "boys will be boys" fashion and then join in the dancing in their friendly Russian way. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Hungary was and is a very anti-Semitic country. The actor playing Tevye, a well-known Hungarian stage star who was not Jewish, received daily hate mail and death threats for playing the role.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2004, 01:12:09 PM by Panni »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2004, 01:25:02 PM »

Yes, Tommy Kirk is a friend of Dorothy and made no secret about it back in the 1970s when it wasn't all that wise to do so.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2004, 01:30:24 PM »

Dorothy who?

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2004, 01:30:29 PM »

I don't mind that FIDDLER is as long as it is. It's beautifully and faithfully done, yet has the scope and grandeur of a film, altogether a near-perfect film version of the show. Sounds wonderful in surround and looks just great on enhanced for widescreen TVs.

We ARE in SuperPanavision.

Matt H.

« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2004, 01:33:43 PM »

DR JRand, do you have any idea what else the Dick Turpin/Highwayman episodes might have been called. I've got a book here called THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF DISNEY ON TELEVISION which has all the show episodes listed, but there is no listing by either of those two names.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14   Go Up