Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BEATING A HASTY RETREAT  (Read 23383 times)

François de Paris

Re:BEATING A HASTY RETREAT
« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2006, 10:37:38 PM »

Great Garage Sale news from DR MARIA....and thanks for the caveat about HOLLYWOODLAND....still interested in seeing it, I am....but the focus of the movie being Mr Nose....er I mean....Mr Brody....disturbs me.  I had big problems watching KING KONG when he was on the screen.  Whew!

Think of him as a male Barbara Streisand!

:)

François de Paris

« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2006, 10:39:13 PM »

Well, it's reassuring to know that sometimes bigger is not better in the USA!

François de Paris

« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2006, 10:40:12 PM »

I think Mr Brody plans to play in a new version of Cyrano de Bergerac!

They'll save on make-up that way!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2006, 10:42:06 PM »

Derbrucer, you are sooo wrong about Cincinnati chili.  It is a wonder unto itself.  Now that doesn't mean I don't appreciate other kinds of chili, but when I was in California, it was Cincy chili I got a craving for and it would be the first place I'd go when returning to the old home town.  Fortunately, they had one in the airport.  And it must always come with either the spaghetti or on a hot dog with tons of shredded cheese and onions.  It's not really a chili you eat unadorned.  I go for a Texas chili for that.

But I have to disagree with Ginny.  Cincy chili (nor any chili, for that matter) should never have beans in it.  In fact, when I was growing up there...I don't even remember beans being an option on the menu.  When I do the chains, Ginny, I actually prefer Gold Star to Skyline...though some outlets vary.  We had both here in Georgetown, but the Skyline went kaput not long ago...their quality was inconsistent.  But I actually prefer Dixie Chili in Newport, Kentucky, when I go for Cincy chili...and that's where I went today.  They are especially good at getting just right the amount of chili and spaghetti, so that it all blends properly with the cheese and onions and doesn't end up too soupy which can sometimes happen.  It's an art!  An art!

Another great chili delicacy used to be served in Dallas at a small waystation on Lemon Avenue called Shanghai Jimmie's Chili Rice.  Shanghai Jimmie was an actual person, probably about eighty when I knew him, and a fluid and lovely ice skater.  Just a good skater, it wasn't his profession.  He was a world traveller and his chequered career and bio was on the menu of his establishment.  I think he came up with chili rice when he was in a Japanese prison camp during WWII. A wiry, thin little wizened old guy, but a bit of bantam who wore a big cowboy hat.  His slogan was "Chili Rice Iz Very Nice."  And it was, Chili over rice topped and mixed with shredded cheese and cubed celery.  Sounds strange but was delish.  

Shanghai Jimmie and his place are long gone, but when I was in Dallas about a year ago to speak, when of my hosts at the Screenwriters Association also remembered Shanghai and managed to re-create the recipe (I think he found it on the internet...though I've seen that one and I don't think it's quite right).  It waz very nice!  I have also re-created it...I'm known to throw a little pickle relish into the concoction as well. Good eating.

At one time, pal Larry Drake and I thought we should franchise Shanghai Jimmie, just like the Colonel and his fried chicken, but like most good ideas ennui and laziness got the best of us; we preferred just eating it to making millions from it.

François de Paris

« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2006, 10:43:34 PM »

He's also working on the film version of The Me Nobody Nose!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2006, 10:45:35 PM »

You know what they say about men with a big nose! :D

They're easier to pick (on)?
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

François de Paris

« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2006, 10:58:29 PM »

His favourite song is Nose of Washington Square... a link to La Streisand again!

François de Paris

« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2006, 11:01:32 PM »

All those nose puns are noseating aren't they?!

Oh, well! A nose is a nose is a nose!

François de Paris

« Reply #188 on: September 09, 2006, 11:03:35 PM »

It's just me and my nose now, I guess!

Have a great week everyone! I'm out ot here (Almost 8:00am)
Time to leave work and get breakfast and hit it on the nose!

François de Paris

« Reply #189 on: September 09, 2006, 11:04:40 PM »

Hasta la vista, Nosie! ... err... Rosie!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #190 on: September 09, 2006, 11:09:41 PM »

Cincy chili (nor any chili, for that matter) should never have beans in it.  In fact, when I was growing up there...I don't even remember beans being an option on the menu.  
Chili History

DEFINITION - Chili is a stew-like soup made entirely with meat, chiles, or chili powder (or both) and according to what region of the United States that you live in, it can also include beans.

1922 - Cincinnati style chili is quite different from its more familiar Texas cousin. It is unique to the Cincinnati area and it was created in 1922 by a Macedonian immigrant, Tom (Athanas) Kiradjieff. He settled in Cincinnati with his brother, John, and opened a hot dog stand with Greek food called the Empress, only to do a lousy business because nobody there at the time knew anything about Greek food. So, it is said, that they called their spaghetti chili. He created a chili made with Middle Eastern spices which could be served a variety of ways. His "five-way" was a concoction of a mound of spaghetti topped with chili, then with chopped onion, then red kidney beans, then shredded yellow cheese, and served with oyster crackers and a side order of hot dogs topped with shredded cheese.

Beans or no beans?

Pinto beans (frijoles), a staple of Tex-Mex cooking, have long been associated with chili and the question of whether beans "belong" in chili has been a matter of contention amongst chili cooks for an equally long time. It is likely that in many poorer areas of San Antonio and other places associated with the origins of chili, beans were used rather than meat or in addition to meat due to poverty. In that regard, it has been suggested by some chili aficionados that there were probably two chili types made in the world, depending on what could be afforded and how frugal the cook was.

As chili spread east into areas where beef was more expensive (beef was plentiful and cheap in San Antonio and other cattle towns), chili with Pinto or other beans became more prevalent. In some eastern areas, this dish is referred to as "chili beans" while the term chili is reserved for the all-meat dish. Other changes included the adding of other vegetables. Tomatoes are almost always used, bell peppers are common and even celery appears in recipes. Many easterners are just as adamant about the inclusion of beans in their chili for an authentic flavor as Texans are about their exclusion.

Most commercially prepared canned chili includes beans. Commercial chili prepared without beans is usually called "Chili No Beans".

Many chili experts believe, however, that beans and chili should always be cooked separately and served on the side. It is then up to the consumer to stir his preferred quantity of beans into his own bowl. Some cooks prefer black beans, black-eyed peas, or kidney beans instead of pinto beans.

A popular saying among chili purists is "If you know beans about chili, you know chili ain't got no beans".

der Brucer (in Philly ,Chili always had tomatoes and beans)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: September 09, 2006, 11:13:55 PM »

Back from a rather amusingly amusing dinner partay about which more later.  I have a splitting headache (don't know why, really - it just came upon me like a gazelle with a hernia).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: September 09, 2006, 11:59:20 PM »

Notes are finished, but why should I post them when we're so close to 200 posts but everyone has WUSSBURGERED.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: September 09, 2006, 11:59:37 PM »

I shan't and I won't.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2006, 12:01:47 AM »

Make sure to check on "points" - they can turn a seemingly good deal to s**t.

der Brucer

???
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2006, 12:03:16 AM »

I got back from my sister's house about a half hour ago.  It turns out that my mom didn't see the 5.7% interest rate at a local bank (I misunderstood her message), she searched the Internet and said that I should talk with someone at a local bank (I don't know why ::)).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2006, 12:05:16 AM »

Anyway, I showed my mom the two loan offers and she said that the one that I was thinking of getting (the lower of the two Internet offers), really was a pretty good deal.  So, I'm going to go with that.  I do have a couple more questions for the lender (Todd), but they're just for information, not to make a final decision.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2006, 12:06:10 AM »

not everyone.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2006, 12:07:11 AM »

Anthing can happen in five minutes
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2006, 12:07:29 AM »

200 may even be reached
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #200 on: September 10, 2006, 12:07:58 AM »

Well it's possible!
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #201 on: September 10, 2006, 12:08:33 AM »

Now all I really need to find out about is if the sellers are willing to fix what needs to be fixed, mainly the bathrooms.  There is moisture under both toilets and the sellers should fix it.  If they don't (or don't offer some sort of allowance), then it's probably a deal breaker.  We'll see.

George

« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2006, 12:09:21 AM »

But if everything goes through, I should be able to move by the end of the month!! ;D

George

« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2006, 12:09:34 AM »

Hi, Tom! :D

George

« Reply #204 on: September 10, 2006, 12:10:16 AM »

Gratuitous Post # 204. :)

George

« Reply #205 on: September 10, 2006, 12:12:22 AM »

And since I stayed at my sister's until recently, I'm not going to watch "Adam & Steve" tonight.  Maybe tomorrow night, tomorrow night (a "Yentl" reference ;)).

George

« Reply #206 on: September 10, 2006, 12:13:10 AM »

And since we're almost to Post # 210 (which will take us to page 8 ), let's see if we can make it (a The Rink reference :)).

George

« Reply #207 on: September 10, 2006, 12:14:27 AM »

When I was packing up some stuff earlier this week, I found the program that I bought on-line for the Kennedy Center's "Sondheim Celebration."  I really would have killed to see that. ;D

George

« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2006, 12:15:10 AM »

Especially the Japanese production of Pacific Overtures.  I wish that they could have recorded that...or even the production when it was still in Japan.

George

« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2006, 12:15:29 AM »

And away we go!

(a Jackie Gleason reference)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up